HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 3:56 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by 🌳🌱🌿🌴🍁 View Post
Not sure if posted before but it is interesting to see this 1959 sketch of the CN logo, which certainly appears to have inspired CNN (with added cable and letter) years later.
https://www.logodesignlove.com/cn-logo-evolution
It reminds me of the NASA worm logo.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 5:38 PM

CN's logo is as iconic as they come in terms of Canadian graphic design. It has held up very well over the years.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 6:08 PM

^ that view seems to be shared internationally (I think there is an error with the reference to 1969 here though - will let him know)...
https://imjustcreative.com/cn-logo-d...ing/2019/09/24

+ re worm reference: https://tonimarino.co.uk/canadian-national-logo/

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 6:39 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 🌳🌱🌿🌴🍁 View Post
Not sure if posted before but it is interesting to see this 1959 sketch of the CN logo, which certainly appears to have inspired CNN (with added cable and letter) years later.
https://www.logodesignlove.com/cn-logo-evolution
https://www.logodesignlove.com/cnn-logo

Library and Archives Canada
CN
CNN

The contemporary CN logo is the Harvard textbook case of everything that a great logo should be. Let's hope they keep some moronic consultants from "rebranding" or "freshening-up" the logo.

The best logos are the ones that are simple, unique, and attractive.

Simple: you should be able to sketch it from memory without difficulty
Unique: the logo represents one firm/brand, and when encountered it is immediately correctly recalled as such
Attractive: the design is seen as aesthetically pleasing by those (businesses, consumers, institutions, stakeholders) targeted by the logo.

This one has all three:

logodesignlove

So does this one:

food.cloud

And this one:

networkingnerd

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 6:44 PM
The Vomit Bag.

terrible logos (c/o business insider)

world's worst redesign

another terrible redesign

absolutely horrible imagery suggested here:

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Yes, good points – like Nike, etc. – and some simple ones even manage to hide things subtly.

"In an interview with Fast Company, the logo’s designer, Lindon Leader, said, 'The arrow could connote forward direction, speed and precision, and if it remained hidden, there might be an element of surprise, that aha moment.'"

Or this one with the skyline...

cnbc.com

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 7:36 PM

Ya I'm a big fan of simplicity and subtle clues.

There are many soccer teams with what resembles crests more than logos. While they are still cool, they seem dated and I am a fan of updating the logo while maintaining key elements of the original like Arsenal did. Everton did it too but there was a backlash from the fans so they went back to the original mostly. Man City changed for the better. I think Man U is due for an update.

What Juventus did I am not a fan. I do think their new logo looks sharp but was a complete departure from their historic and globally recognized logo.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/20...adge-redesign/

https://www.canny-creative.com/evert...rebrand-twice/

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/35175829

https://www.famouslogos.net/manchester-united-logo/

https://thisisthetree.com/blog/posts...b-crest-update

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 7:44 PM

I absolutely hate seeing this when walking around downtown. TD employees that have been branded on their suits.

It's one thing to have a logo on a uniform or say a polo shirt or even on a suit jacket as part of a team like you see on some European soccer clubs, but I hate seeing that pin on a regular suit day in day out.

It's YOUR suit. You bought it. I don't like that they have to wear those pins (I'm assuming it's mandatory). Now, if they provided the suit to you, okay then. Though I personally wouldn't be a fan.

When I worked for TD for 3 years at the admin. centre, they got all hundreds of us employees magnetic name tags. They said they cost like 20 bucks each, which I believe considering that the last two jobs where I had signature stamps made cost $60. By the end of the week we left them in our drawers never to be worn again even though they reminded us that it's now mandatory. Well collectively we said fuck you. We work in an admin centre and don't see clients. It's such a large workplace that we don't need to know the name of every single person we pass by everyday.

https://financialpost.com/news/fp-st...mp-for-bankers

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 7:51 PM

Similar to the FedEx arrow, Amazon also has an arrow that means more than one thing. Denotes "we have everything from A to Z" and also appears as a smile when packages are left upright (and are still there when you get home).

Not really sure what UPS was getting at it with their current logo. Their prior logo had a package on it, so it kind of told you what they did. Maybe it did need a refresher, but the shield they went to, while cleaner and more modern looking, is also more generic.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
terrible logos (c/o business insider)
absolutely horrible imagery suggested here:

What was this for?

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite View Post
What was this for?
Youth For Christ has many logos around the world, some almost have this kind of look. Might be them.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 8:07 PM

Following the success of the CN noodle logo, CP responded with its own modernist logo, the Multimark (1968). It was kind of interesting how they adapted it to different corporate arms by using different colours for each. It didn't last long though. By the late 80s it was pretty well out of use.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 8:30 PM

^ It actually looks very good on that train, and that is a nice colour mix...

Denotes "we have everything from A to Z"

Had completely forgotten about that (or maybe never knew) – great reminder...

Yes that would be strange re TD if it's the case; it also seems that political leaders have been wearing flag pins more in recent years, but maybe that is just an impression. A kind of patriotic one-upmanship.

Regarding the club logos, I agree about Manchester City – that is a really nice badge: "A rounded badge depicting a shield containing a ship, the Lancashire Rose, and the three rivers of Manchester." The Juventus update has grown on me a bit, although you have a point about not breaking too much from tradition for such storied teams. I personally like the old Arsenal one.

Originally Posted by Nite View Post
What was this for?

Putting aside the problems with it, the figure with arms brings to mind the famous National Film Board one:

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Following the success of the CN noodle logo, CP responded with its own modernist logo, the Multimark (1968). It was kind of interesting how they adapted it to different corporate arms by using different colours for each. It didn't last long though. By the late 80s it was pretty well out of use.
The Multimark's a favourite of mine. Having one unified logo that can be colour swapped depending on the branch of service is a genius idea for a multimodal company — red for railways, green for ships, grey for hotels, etc. Didn't really work too well when only a decade later the C.P.R. was divesting itself of all those other branches, but still a cool idea nonetheless. Especially so when you compare it to all the boring typeface-based logos they've spat out since...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ������������������������������ View Post
...brings to mind the famous National Film Board one.
The N.F.B.'s logo was great. Clean, impactful, and immediately got the point across — a brand known for it's world-class documentaries, represented by the celebration of, and exploration of, humanity shared to the eyes of the world. But then they ruined it...

I don't know who thought it was a good idea to crop the design at the knees. You can't even tell what the logo's supposed to represent now:

Last edited by _Citizen_Dane_; Nov 26, 2020 at 8:50 PM.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 9:49 PM
Starring as himself

Then when CP Air was acquired by Pacific Western and turned into Canadian Airlines International, they had a logo that sort of riffed on the CP logo. They stuck it over the second “a” in “Canadian” to make that wordmark “bilingual”. Bilingualism influences Canadian logo design sometimes.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 10:06 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I have a soft spot for CP's old Pac man logo. Not as good as CN, but still pretty cool.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 3:05 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Then when CP Air was acquired by Pacific Western and turned into Canadian Airlines International, they had a logo that sort of riffed on the CP logo. They stuck it over the second “a” in “Canadian” to make that wordmark “bilingual”. Bilingualism influences Canadian logo design sometimes.

The goose was really nice too, the way they incorporated it into the livery:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Airlines

Anyway, speaking of railway noodles:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comboios_de_Portugal

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 4:17 AM

Surprised I haven’t seen this one yet:

Glacier Media

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 4:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post

Wow, really?
I believe that was the logo in the late 80s.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 4:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
Ha ha. The Sudbury Wolves logo looks like it was designed in 1965 for some Fairy Tale-themed amusement park, or to market a line of juice boxes for kids.

The Soo Greyhounds logo looks like they lifted the same dog straight off the Greyhound bus.

My favourite OHL logo is the Windsor Spitfires.
The London Knights had a God-awful logo in the mid-late 90s. I believe it was nicknamed Spider-Knight:

Sportslogos.net

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada