HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Feb 16, 2019, 4:20 PM

Have others noticed the amount of settlement occurring in the streets and sidewalks of this area? In some cases, there's a pretty significant cross slope along sidewalks where they meet buildings. The buildings appear to have appropriate piers/foundations, but the public infrastructure doesn't. Hopefully some of that would be corrected with a major project like this.

Old Posted May 26, 2019, 6:20 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
Are they really moving forward on this? This proposed project has to be one of the few I really hope happens like how it was originally being planned. It would be such a game changer architecturally for Portland.
it looks like something is happening. I got this in an email from the Downtown Neighborhood Association:

Quote:
DOWNTOWN NEIGHBORHOOD ASSOCIATION’s LAND USE TRANSPORTATION COMMITTEE MEETING

The June 4th LUT meetingis replaced by a familiarization “walkabout”tour of the RiverPlace Redevelopment Project site. Meet at 8AM at the SW River Parkway and Moody Streetcar stop (NS and Loop streetcar lines) opposite the Hyatt House hotel. The tour is expected to last at least one hour.

All are encouraged to attend since this project would require the demolition of an established neighborhood.

Wear comfortable shoes and appropriate clothing for the weather.
Riverplace is being demolished? How much of it?

Riverplace isn't very old, though it was definitely poorly conceived. I remember looking at an apartment there back in 2004. It felt like it belonged in the suburbs. I've always wondered how the businesses along that strip on the path by the water survive.

Is all of that coming down too?

Last edited by 2oh1; May 26, 2019 at 9:05 PM.

Old Posted May 27, 2019, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
i believe it's just the area/buildings bounded by SW Montgomery, north,
and SW River Pkwy, south. the strip of shops north of the pilsner room remains.
it was quite a dead zone when i moved here late '97...

Old Posted May 27, 2019, 8:37 PM

Quote:
This should give you an idea of the area in discussion:

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 3:40 PM

that small part to the north should just get demolished and made into a nice big park.

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 12:45 PM

This area is certainly one of the armpits of downtown. Just a black mark on what could be a vibrant part of the waterfront.

Love that someone is thinking big to demo all the recent homes and try again.

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 3:50 PM
Registered Ugly

I know it's not important, but man I would love to see some big, well-designed buildings here. Our skyline is weak.

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 9:26 PM
A before E

Quote:
it looks like something is happening. I got this in an email from the Downtown Neighborhood Association:

Riverplace is being demolished? How much of it?

Riverplace isn't very old, though it was definitely poorly conceived. I remember looking at an apartment there back in 2004. It felt like it belonged in the suburbs. I've always wondered how the businesses along that strip on the path by the water survive.

Wow, this is really hopeful news. A 90s suburban development along the waterfront downtown was a poor decision to make and so good to see it might actually be replaced with something more fitting for this city. Obviously I hope that what gets built here takes a swing for the fences with something like what Snohetta designed or even better the specific design Snohetta did. Of course I am a realist and I don't expect to see anything that ground breaking when it comes to design and size, so even if it ends up like the surrounding buildings in that area I will be happy.

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 9:28 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
I know it's not important, but man I would love to see some big, well-designed buildings here. Our skyline is weak.
I am going to have to disagree with you hear about the skyline being weak. It might not be a really tall skyline, but our skyline stretches from the South Waterfront to North Pearl, and is in the process of growing all along the eastside outside of just the Lloyd District. Portland's skyline is becoming so big that it is hard to capture it all in one photo.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 2:20 PM

Quote:
my neighbor and I did the tour yesterday. around 50 or so, mostly senior citizens, were there.
sounds like this project may be moving faster than we/I expected, as there is supposed to be a DAR this month, but it's yet to be scheduled.
around 2500 units are expected, and the max height for the tallest tower has been reduced to the 300-350ft. level... which would bring it to around the KOIN tower's height on the skyline.

the LUT committee of the DNA is concerned about moving around 5000 more people into that area, and the lack of road bandwidth/convenient mass transit to accommodate them. a relatively low number of parking spots is planned for the development, jiving with the central city's car-reduction goals, but increasing dependency on transit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_PDXer View Post
Have others noticed the amount of settlement occurring in the streets and sidewalks of this area? In some cases, there's a pretty significant cross slope along sidewalks where they meet buildings. The buildings appear to have appropriate piers/foundations, but the public infrastructure doesn't. Hopefully some of that would be corrected with a major project like this.
this was discussed a bit on the tour.
the condos are indeed piered up, but the sawdust from the old mill that used to be there apparently is decomposing, resulting in the increased settlement around them.

EDIT: some copy and paste items from the soft handout i got in an email today...
(they were short on hardcopy handouts yesterday)

Density and Mass - Summarized and revised density information from Vision Booklet:

Buildings Heights
8 Towers 100 - 325 ft.
(FAR up to 8:1)

Units
~2,617 units (500 affordable units)
Sq. Ft. 3,000.000 sq. ft.
Parking Units
~1,600 parking units

Existing RiverPlace Neighborhood
RiverPlace Condominium 190 units
The Strand Condominium 214 units
Parcel 3 (6 & 14 st.bldgs.) 371 units (not completed yet)
------------------- subtotal 775 units

Anticipated Neighborhood
---- NBP Capitol Proposal 2,617 units

------------------- TOTAL ~3400 units
Anticipated population? ~7000 residents

plus RiverPlace Hotel, Hyatt House Hotel, and Residence Inn Hotel

:ENDEDIT

Last edited by pylon; Jun 5, 2019 at 4:48 PM.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 3:43 PM
Registered Ugly

Quote:
I am going to have to disagree with you hear about the skyline being weak. It might not be a really tall skyline, but our skyline stretches from the South Waterfront to North Pearl, and is in the process of growing all along the eastside outside of just the Lloyd District. Portland's skyline is becoming so big that it is hard to capture it all in one photo.
That's true, and fine-grained is more important overall to me. But it's just tough to see things here stay so squat when the entire country is seeing an amazing building boom where even Detroit has a tower under construction that's almost 1,000 feet. I was hopeful this area could bring some height, finally.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 12:41 AM

Vancouver has a stunning skyline, but very few buildings over 500 feet

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 1:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamUrbanist View Post
Vancouver has a stunning skyline, but very few buildings over 500 feet
Agree 100%. Hard to escape the phallic symbolism.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 1:55 AM
Registered Ugly

Vancouver’s skyline is perhaps the most monotonous and boring skyline I’ve ever laid eyes on, natural beauty of its environment excepted.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 2:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
Vancouver’s skyline is perhaps the most monotonous and boring skyline I’ve ever laid eyes on, natural beauty of its environment excepted.
I have a picture of Merrill, OR's skyline that I find interesting...but most would find even more boring than Vancouver.

I get what you're saying though. I don't think Portland will ever have that "postcard perfect" skyline, but it will be a density skyline from aircraft or drone. You see that from the Fremont looking over the Pearl. With S.Waterfront, downtown, CEID, Lower Burnside and Lloyd you're getting a dense city that really connects on the human level, but doesn't have that one shot everyone clamours for.

Vancouver is similar.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 3:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
I have a picture of Merrill, OR's skyline that I find interesting...but most would find even more boring than Vancouver.

I get what you're saying though. I don't think Portland will ever have that "postcard perfect" skyline, but..
Portland has a fantastic postcard perfect skyline shot - a nearly perfectly shaped Mount Hood in the background nicely framed by human scale towers in the foreground. It's an image in which most cities can't compete. The view of Mt. Hood from the West, looking through downtown, would not be enhanced by a wall of 750' - 1,000' towers completely blocking the mountain. And in a world where Asian cities have hundreds our even thousands of tall buildings, why even worry about competing for skyscraper envy. Portland already has a skyline (Hood included) that makes it unique, noteworthy and memorable.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 3:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsbear View Post
Portland has a fantastic postcard perfect skyline shot - a nearly perfectly shaped Mount Hood in the background nicely framed by human scale towers in the foreground. It's an image in which most cities can't compete. The view of Mt. Hood from the West, looking through downtown, would not be enhanced by a wall of 750' - 1,000' towers completely blocking the mountain. And in a world where Asian cities have hundreds our even thousands of tall buildings, why even worry about competing for skyscraper envy. Portland already has a skyline (Hood included) that makes it unique, noteworthy and memorable.
Yes, I stand corrected. Yes! Agreed!! I was thinking more along the lines of the building skyline, not the overall picture.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2019, 10:02 PM

Great point rsbear. Part of what makes the city unique is how well it melds with, and respects, its surroundings.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2019, 3:14 PM

Quote:
I agree with this.....with several elevation clusters like SOWA, LLoyd. Pearl and Central, Portland's skyline is complex and and scattered. Personally, I am enjoying all the clusters and the activity each offers. Nothing is predictable about this city as to where a new project will manifest. What I really would like to see is the infamous" Book Ends" start to close and become singular.

Last edited by Natural; Jun 9, 2019 at 6:29 PM.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 1:15 AM

Design Advice Posting Notice

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland