HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Closed Thread

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 6:22 PM

Demographic impact of urban exodus

This was discussed in the Bay Area tech thread but what will be the impacts of mass migrations and exoduses on different urban areas' class and demographic structures.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 6:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RST500 View Post
This was discussed in the Bay Area tech thread but what will be the impacts of mass migrations and exoduses on different urban areas' class and demographic structures.
Uhhhh, are you making a statement, or asking a question?

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 6:57 PM

What urban exodus?

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 7:00 PM
The Vomit Bag.

where is everyone going to go? Asscrack, Arkansas?

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 7:19 PM
Ex Houstonian

I’m leaving the city, it’s going to hell in a hand basket, the browns and gays are moving in. I’m moving to the burbs with my WASP family ASAP.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 7:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
I’m leaving the city, it’s going to hell in a hand basket, the browns and gays are moving in. I’m moving to the burbs with my WASP family ASAP.
Yeah, so are there any mods left in this forum? Or are they part of this same extreme right-wing racist, homophobic agenda?

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYNYC View Post
Yeah, so are there any mods left in this forum? Or are they part of this same extreme right-wing racist, homophobic agenda?
I think photoLith was being ironic...

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYNYC View Post
I think he/she was being sarcastic.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handro View Post
What urban exodus?
Everybody is Nostradamus right now, they've all got wild predictions they're convinced of.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 7:49 PM
IWant2BeInSTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
where is everyone going to go? Asscrack, Arkansas?
maybe. Arkansas is a gorgeous state with tons of outdoor amenities. i've considered moving there from time to time.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 7:51 PM
Never Dell

Some trends will be opposite, even if there's an outflow. For example, if you don't like commuting you can live within walking distance of work. There might actually be an increase in downtown and mixed-use living.

Another trend, if telecommuting really become big, if trips to the office can be seldom/never: Live in a place you like. Your favorite "lifestyle" city, the small town back home, etc. Maybe you make a name for yourself in a more traditional environment for a while, but move back to Iowa pretty quickly.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 10:47 PM
Unicorn Wizard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWant2BeInSTL View Post
maybe. Arkansas is a gorgeous state with tons of outdoor amenities. i've considered moving there from time to time.
Yeah but even then, there is a world of difference between living in NW Arkansas versus somewhere like Pine Bluff.

If Arkansas gained people leaving large cities from the coasts chances are they would move to places with amenities and services in arms reach.

And even then this has huge unintended consequences. If Silicon Valley engineers moved to Arkansas, they'd live in some nice private gated community with exclusive lake access and pay hardly any taxes. The people who prep their food and fix their appliances and pour the concrete foundations of their house are going to live in nasty trailer parks, their kids will go to shit rural schools, they'll pay more for transportation, and their quality of life will be severely degraded. Instead of improving equality by redistributing wealth out of the largest cities to a poorer region, it would increase it by furthering a race to the bottom

Old Posted Jun 5, 2020, 5:00 PM

Bay Area will be nation’s coolest housing market in 2020, survey says

https://www.sfchronicle.com/business...edium=referral

Old Posted Jun 5, 2020, 5:07 PM

The virus is spreading fastest in states with low population density urban areas.

Increasing
-CA
-TX
-FL
-NC
-TN
-WA
-AZ
-MS
-MO
-SC
-UT
-KY
-AR
-SD
-PR
-ID
-VT
-AK
-MT

Flat
-MA
-VA
-GA
-LA
-OH
-CO
-IA
-WI
-AL
-NE
-NV
-NM
-OK
-NH
-OR
-WV
-Guam
-HI

Falling
-NY
-NJ
-IL
-PA
-MI
-MD
-CT
-IN
-ME
-RI
-KS
-DE
-DC
-ND
-ME
-WY

The NE and upper Midwest were most afflicted by case counts though.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-us-cases.html

Old Posted Jun 5, 2020, 7:24 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
The virus is spreading fastest in states with low population density urban areas.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-us-cases.html
Much of this had to do with a lot of these states opening up earlier than northern states. Texas opened up May 1 and low and behold, cases started trending upward on May 13 and is continuing to peak. New York is now just starting to open up and stricter about it.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2020, 8:15 PM
IWant2BeInSTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaorama View Post
Yeah but even then, there is a world of difference between living in NW Arkansas versus somewhere like Pine Bluff.

If Arkansas gained people leaving large cities from the coasts chances are they would move to places with amenities and services in arms reach.

And even then this has huge unintended consequences. If Silicon Valley engineers moved to Arkansas, they'd live in some nice private gated community with exclusive lake access and pay hardly any taxes. The people who prep their food and fix their appliances and pour the concrete foundations of their house are going to live in nasty trailer parks, their kids will go to shit rural schools, they'll pay more for transportation, and their quality of life will be severely degraded. Instead of improving equality by redistributing wealth out of the largest cities to a poorer region, it would increase it by furthering a race to the bottom
wow. all i said is that Arkansas has great natural amenities (as opposed to being a giant ass crack). thus, i can understand some people wanting to live there. sounds like you have a lot of opinions about it.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2020, 8:44 PM

I know a couple who moved from San Francisco to Bentonville, Arkansas relatively recently. She works for Walmart and was originally from there, so there is that connection, but they're getting married in January and it's definitely easier to start a family there than in SF. They are building a house from scratch, but it's not a McMansion or anything.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2020, 10:22 PM
Unicorn Wizard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
I know a couple who moved from San Francisco to Bentonville, Arkansas relatively recently. She works for Walmart and was originally from there, so there is that connection, but they're getting married in January and it's definitely easier to start a family there than in SF. They are building a house from scratch, but it's not a McMansion or anything.
I've been to Arkansas a few times. It's not a huge state but has distinct regions. The NW corner of the state, because of Wally World and the hills, is a different kind of place from the center of the state where Little Rock is, which in turn feels very different from the flat plains of the Mississippi Delta. The part in the corner by Missouri feels more like extra Missouri.

My point stands, if you go to any smaller place in the rural south that is not some outlier economic miracle with corporate or hipster appeal like Fayetteville-Bentonville or Greenville, SC or Chatanooga, TN, then it is objectively true that working class small towns and the rural sprawl are not so lovely places to live for a variety of reasons.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2020, 4:01 AM
IWant2BeInSTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaorama View Post
I've been to Arkansas a few times. It's not a huge state but has distinct regions. The NW corner of the state, because of Wally World and the hills, is a different kind of place from the center of the state where Little Rock is, which in turn feels very different from the flat plains of the Mississippi Delta. The part in the corner by Missouri feels more like extra Missouri.

My point stands, if you go to any smaller place in the rural south that is not some outlier economic miracle with corporate or hipster appeal like Fayetteville-Bentonville or Greenville, SC or Chatanooga, TN, then it is objectively true that working class small towns and the rural sprawl are not so lovely places to live for a variety of reasons.
Actually, the majority of the state is covered in forests and hills—the Ozarks and Ouachitas—with numerous lakes and rivers scattered about. It's also objectively true that there are plenty of shitty, working-class small towns and rural sprawl in the Southwest, West, Northwest, North, North East, East, and Southeast. Anyway, we get it; you won't be moving to Arkansas anytime soon. No worries.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2020, 4:55 AM
Dryer lint inspector

I have a soft spot for Arkansas; my maternal grandmother was from there and we called our great-grandmother "Grandma Rock" because...Little Rock.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions