HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
Should be an interesting meeting with this and the conversion zoning changes
I listened at times to the live feed of these 2 items...one of the delegations for the conversion policy was a gentlemen who has built in what I believe is Councillor Hume's ward...once he identified himself by name, Hume was amazed that it was the developer who is in his mind the epitome of what not to build etc and that he had, in the Councillors mind, tweaked the rules way too much and he was amazed that the guy had the gall to be there. I found it very unprofessional by Hume in his dealings with the fellow.

I didn't catch the developers name, but I found him, by listening on the audio, to handle himself well and if I were him, I would be quick ticked off at the slanderous tone of Hume.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 11:56 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Infill guidelines get tentative approval

After months of consultations and meetings, developers want more time to study fine print

By Matthew Pearson, OTTAWA CITIZEN March 25, 2014 7:25 PM

OTTAWA — Guidelines to curb often controversial infill developments in the city’s central neighbourhoods took another step forward Tuesday after the planning committee approved them in principle.

But it voted to give developers more time to review the bylaw’s finer details.

The city adopted an infill bylaw in 2012, but an appeal to the Ontario Municipal Board sent planning staff back to the drawing board.

After consulting for months with community associations and a working group of people from the infill development sector, city staff revised the initial bylaw to revolve around a central premise: look to what’s currently on a street for cues about what’s acceptable to build.

The goal is to give both neighbours and developers certainty while maintaining and enhancing streetscape character and ensuring flexibility for landowners and developers.

The revised bylaw now includes a formula to figure out “streetscape character” based on three design features: landscaping out front, parking and front doors. The rules will apply to all homeowners, to new houses on new and existing lots, and to buildings up to four storeys tall.

Staff wanted the committee to OK its motion as presented, which would have paved the way for council to endorse the revisions at its April 9 meeting and send them off to the OMB.

“Enough talk and a little more action is what we need now,” was how Lee Ann Snedden, the city’s manager of policy development and urban design, put it.

But Murray Chown, speaking for the group of smaller infill builders who launched the initial OMB appeal, asked the committee for more time to go through the bylaw and discuss possible revisions with staff so that, at the end of the day, council will endorse a bylaw that has support of both developers and community associations.

“We’re close, we’ve made progress, but we need a little more time to discuss with staff,” Chown said.

“Let’s not fix it on the floor of the committee room.”

A lawyer representing some larger developers agreed with the request for more time, saying her clients weren’t aware that the bylaw would affect four-storey buildings.

Her clients were of the view it didn’t apply to them, so they didn’t participate in the working group, but when they saw the revised bylaw, it “raised a lot of red flags,” said Ursula Melinz.

Capital Coun. David Chernushenko called the deferral request “disingenuous” and said asking for such a measure now, after so much consultation, was like asking for more time to get a few extra infill applications in before the rules change.

He said infill was a central issue in some wards during the 2010 election and will no doubt be an issue again when voters go to the polls this fall because many residents want some say in the development of their neighbourhoods.

He also praised planning staff for undertaking such a broad consultative process.

“I believe this was done well,” Chernushenko said.

Snedden agreed, saying the infill working group had held 30 meetings since June and reached out to more than 25 community associations from the five affected wards.

“This really is a model for consultation in terms of the process we used,” she said.

Representatives from six community associations spoke in favour of the revised bylaw, with Old Ottawa East Community Association’s Paul Goodkey seemingly speaking for many when he said, “This is the first real teeth to implement those (infill) guidelines.”

With the bylaw’s confirmation on the horizon, the community associations are turning their attention to public education and enforcement of the new infill rules.

mpearson@ottawacitizen.com
Twitter.com/mpearson78

© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/ot...668/story.html

Old Posted May 14, 2014, 10:10 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Ottawa council approves infill bylaw, plan for Scott-Albert LRT detour

By Matthew Pearson & Michael Woods, Ottawa Citizen May 14, 2014 3:12 PM

Infill bylaw ‘breaks new ground’

Council unanimously approved a new bylaw to govern infill development in mature neighbourhoods.

“We’re breaking new ground,” planning committee chair Peter Hume said.

The bylaw revolves around a central premise: look to what’s currently on a street for cues about what’s acceptable to build. The goal is to give both neighbours and developers certainty while maintaining and enhancing streetscape character and ensuring flexibility for landowners and developers.

The rules will apply to all homeowners, to new houses on new and existing lots, and to buildings up to four storeys tall.

© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/busines...701/story.html

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 3:53 AM
National Capital Region

May 2015 the hearing resumes... will be over 5 years since the problem was identified and the process began.
https://www.omb.gov.on.ca/ecs/CaseDe...spx?n=PL120666

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 11:32 AM

Quote:
May 2015 the hearing resumes... will be over 5 years since the problem was identified and the process began.
https://www.omb.gov.on.ca/ecs/CaseDe...spx?n=PL120666
Thanks for the update. Despite the City's position that these new infill guidelines were going to result in a clearer understanding of what is permitted and what isn't, the reality is that for the average person the new regulations that the City imposes (without full approval) are very complicated and get into the real micro-managing of the design process. Often times at the Committee of Adjustment, an application needs 2 or 3 variances to the parent by-law and up to 10 to the new infill by-law and the Committee members look perplexed as to what is actually being requested in the variance list.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 2:28 AM
National Capital Region

mediation next week in the Big Smoke

more zoning changes
http://ottawa.ca/en/city-hall/public...mation-session

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 1:26 PM

Quote:
mediation next week in the Big Smoke

more zoning changes
http://ottawa.ca/en/city-hall/public...mation-session
You know it is when you read stuff like this from the weblink you provided:

"Rear yard setback must be no less than the greater of:

The vertical height of the building above average grade (In the case of a long semi, the measurement is to be taken from the rear unit).
25% of the lot depth.
Lot depth greater than 30m up to and including 45 m:
Rear yard setback must be no less than the greater of:

The vertical height of the building above average grade (In the case of a long semi, the measurement is to be taken from the rear unit).
Lot depth minus 22.5m.

Lot depth greater than 45 m:
50 % of lot depth.
Through Lots
For lots 32 m or greater in depth, the above requirements are to be applied assuming an imaginary rear lot line located at 50% of the lot depth.
Corner Lots (Fronting on two streets or two parts of the same street with an interior angle of 135° or lesser)
Where the interior side yard abuts an interior side yard on the abutting lot, it must be a minimum of 1.2 m.
An interior yard must be provided, and created by extending a parallel line from the minimum required rear yard setback of the abutting lot, across the shared longest common lot line, into the affected lot for a distance from that shared lot line equal to 30% of the affected lot's actual lot width, after which the rear yard may be reduced to 1.2 m."

that the public begin to get glazed eyes. Who writes this stuff? The average homeowner or neighbour who either wants to add to their property or is concerned about new development in the neighbourhood cannot fathom this stuff.

This will get appealed and we will be back to square 1.

Waterloo Warrior...what is being mediated at the OMB next week in Tranna?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
You know it is when you read stuff like this from the weblink you provided:

"Rear yard setback must be no less than the greater of:

25% of the lot depth.
Lot depth greater than 30m up to and including 45 m:
Rear yard setback must be no less than the greater of:

Lot depth minus 22.5m.

Lot depth greater than 45 m:
50 % of lot depth.
Through Lots
For lots 32 m or greater in depth, the above requirements are to be applied assuming an imaginary rear lot line located at 50% of the lot depth.
Corner Lots (Fronting on two streets or two parts of the same street with an interior angle of 135° or lesser)
Where the interior side yard abuts an interior side yard on the abutting lot, it must be a minimum of 1.2 m.
An interior yard must be provided, and created by extending a parallel line from the minimum required rear yard setback of the abutting lot, across the shared longest common lot line, into the affected lot for a distance from that shared lot line equal to 30% of the affected lot's actual lot width, after which the rear yard may be reduced to 1.2 m."

that the public begin to get glazed eyes. Who writes this stuff? The average homeowner or neighbour who either wants to add to their property or is concerned about new development in the neighbourhood cannot fathom this stuff.

This will get appealed and we will be back to square 1.

Waterloo Warrior...what is being mediated at the OMB next week in Tranna?
That hurt my head... So much Laywer Jargon. But basically from what I understand, is that any infill cannot be larger than the footprint of the original building and must have a backyard. And the size of the backyard also dictates the maximum height of the building. This essentially is trying to prevent infill, I think?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 6:54 PM

a little off-topic, but how about small-scale Tempo Infill?

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_eye/2...l?wpsrc=fol_tw
Quote:
planting prefab pop-up rental houses on vacant city lots that offer singles design-friendly, affordable, quality temporary housing in urban centers.

These movable dwellings are designed to rent to young, single-person households for a reasonable 700 euros ($788) per month as temporary residences located on vacant lots that are in redevelopment limbo and otherwise eyesores on urban landscapes.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreTrains View Post
That hurt my head... So much Laywer Jargon. But basically from what I understand, is that any infill cannot be larger than the footprint of the original building and must have a backyard. And the size of the backyard also dictates the maximum height of the building. This essentially is trying to prevent infill, I think?
If that was the case then the impetus for applications would be severely limited.

That would be the win-win situation for many of the community associations

Old Posted Feb 2, 2015, 5:59 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Low-Rise Infill Housing Study – Phase 2

Have your say before February 27, 2015:
http://ottawa.ca/en/city-hall/public...-study-phase-2

Old Posted Feb 2, 2015, 11:04 PM

How do they define backyard? If I were to enclose my space with a wall/ small hallway to create something like a courtyard, would that be permitted? Or does it have to be an open, grassy space behind the building but separated from other lots by a fence?

Old Posted Feb 2, 2015, 11:33 PM

Is it just me, or does it feel like this severely limits the potential creative element behind in-fills.
Prohibit projections into required yards
Reduce building height while maintaining the existing permitted amount of storeys
Limit the projection of roof top patios and their access above the maximum building height
Limit the size of roof top patios and their access
Ensure rear yards are at the least equivalent to building height

I know a lot of infills clash with the character of the neighbourhood they're built in, but this just defeats the point of actual intensification (aside from the point about intensification on corner lots).

Old Posted Feb 3, 2015, 1:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvergate View Post
Is it just me, or does it feel like this severely limits the potential creative element behind in-fills.
Yes. As a result, the community associations love it. Monty Python could do a skit based on interpretation of these regulations and it would not seem out of place as one of their skits.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2015, 2:47 AM

Quote:
Prohibit projections into required yards
Reduce building height while maintaining the existing permitted amount of storeys
Limit the projection of roof top patios and their access above the maximum building height
Limit the size of roof top patios and their access
Ensure rear yards are at the least equivalent to building height

I know a lot of infills clash with the character of the neighbourhood they're built in, but this just defeats the point of actual intensification (aside from the point about intensification on corner lots).
Sadly, like other restrictions in this city, it really does limit the creative potential for buildings in Ottawa, which is the last thing we need... But I'm still buoyed by countries like Japan have some ridiculous zoning limitations that still produce amazing buildings. You have to be a contortionist to design a house with those limitations, but people still managed.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2015, 3:57 AM

Quote:
Why, except in a very few architectural heritage zones, should the "character of the neighbourhood" matter a single jot?

Old Posted Feb 3, 2015, 3:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
Why, except in a very few architectural heritage zones, should the "character of the neighbourhood" matter a single jot?
I dunno, has anyone asked Ken Gray?

Old Posted Feb 3, 2015, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
You should attend some meetings of Panel 1 of the Committee of Adjustment and provide that as your feedback at the podium in favour of an application. That I would pay to see.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2015, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by defishel View Post
Sadly, like other restrictions in this city, it really does limit the creative potential for buildings in Ottawa, which is the last thing we need... But I'm still buoyed by countries like Japan have some ridiculous zoning limitations that still produce amazing buildings. You have to be a contortionist to design a house with those limitations, but people still managed.

Those designs would have the checklist planners at the City having fits.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2015, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhuniau View Post
why, except in a very few architectural heritage zones, should the "character of the neighbourhood" matter a single jot?
+1

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues