HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Aug 6, 2009, 2:44 PM

Last edited by Yroc; Aug 6, 2009 at 3:05 PM. Reason: add info

Old Posted Aug 6, 2009, 5:19 PM
I'm just joking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_jeffrey View Post
If you can find better jeans, tell me! I could be killed in a car accident and the jeans would be intact.
But if the jeans were torn, won`t that just make them cool?

Old Posted Aug 6, 2009, 5:27 PM

The multi-story office buildings with ground floor retail along St. Laurent would be a great addition. It's too bad they can't make it so that those retail spots can be accessed from the mall as well as from the street.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2009, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesthetic View Post
I was actually going to say the exact same thing. No one that I know is unaware of Simons. If I ever mention the store in passing, people know exactly what I'm talking about. It really isn't that obscure.

And I know many of those people you speak of, myself included, that go outside of the city just to shop for trends. I agree that the best place to have a Simons is downtown, a place that could surely use the variety, but if that's the location they're set on I'll take what I can get at this point.
I had never heard of it before this thread, but I imagine it's because I've only lived in the Ottawa area for a year. Not surprised that I didn't hear of it in Thunder Bay, lol.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2009, 6:03 PM
Mooderator

Yeah, I had never heard of it until I moved to Quebec.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2009, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathgrith View Post
But if the jeans were torn, won`t that just make them cool?
Torn jeans are SOOOOOOO 2003. But funny story, I had actually bought a pair of jeans and some kitchen tools. So I did make holes in my brand new jeans since they were in the same bag, nobody noticed. haha

Old Posted Aug 6, 2009, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcollins View Post
The multi-story office buildings with ground floor retail along St. Laurent would be a great addition. It's too bad they can't make it so that those retail spots can be accessed from the mall as well as from the street.
Why not?

Old Posted Aug 6, 2009, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Eade View Post
Why not?
Sorry let me rephrase. It's too bad they aren't connecting them. They definitely could connect them.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 12:52 AM

The proposal reminds me of Scarborough Town Centre with the baby boxes with a monster corrugated metal clad Real Canadian Superstore and a bunch of other box stores. Both have highway access, but the Town Centre has LT, and has a growing number of condos popping up on the other side of the Civic Centre. With other malls getting condos, would this seem far fetched here?

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 1:00 PM
Mooderator

I always wondered why Coventry Rd is so zig-zaggy. Seems like there was a plan for it before and it was never implemented. Anyone know?

BTW, I don't think we need two threads on this.. I'm going to merge them. Hope I didn't confuse anyone.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 3:06 PM
I'm just joking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_jeffrey View Post
Torn jeans are SOOOOOOO 2003. But funny story, I had actually bought a pair of jeans and some kitchen tools. So I did make holes in my brand new jeans since they were in the same bag, nobody noticed. haha
You should tell Abercrombie and Fitch that.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2009, 1:01 PM

Quote:
Mall owner plans $200M expansion

Seeks rezoning that would put St. Laurent Shopping Centre in Top 10

By Don Butler, The Ottawa CitizenAugust 11, 2009

OTTAWA — A proposed $200-million-plus expansion could make the St. Laurent Shopping Centre a “major powerhouse” within Canada’s retail industry, says the company that owns the 42-year-old mall.

Morguard Investments has filed a rezoning application with the City of Ottawa seeking the expansion, which would boost the centre’s gross leasable area to about 1.3 million square feet from 971,000 square feet.

That would catapult St. Laurent, Ottawa’s largest mall, into 10th place on the list of Canada’s biggest malls. St. Laurent, with 195 stores, is currently No. 27.

But bulking up isn’t the rationale for the expansion, Scott MacDonald, Morguard’s vice-president of retail, said Monday. Rather, it’s to make St. Laurent “the best it can possibly be.”

“There’s tremendous potential to enhance that property,” he said. “It could be a major powerhouse in the retail industry here in Canada.”

Morguard’s proposal comes as Bayshore Shopping Centre gears up to challenge a city zoning bylaw that prevents it from growing much beyond its present size. The Ontario Municipal Board is scheduled to hear the case in October.

Bayshore’s owner, Ivanhoe Cambridge, has proposed a $130-million expansion that would add up to 150,000 square feet of retail and concourse space and 421 new parking spaces to the mall.

A third Ottawa mall, the Rideau Centre, dropped a proposal for expansion in 2006, but expects to proceed with one within three to five years, according to general manager Cindy Vanbuskirk.

“We have two prime development sites in the heart of the nation’s capital, and we will definitely be developing them at some point,” she said.

Morguard’s plan for St. Laurent calls for the Sears store to be replaced by a two-storey, 164,500-square-foot store west of the current site.

As well, there would be two additional 80,000-square-foot retail tenants. They’ve been identified, but MacDonald said it was premature to reveal them. The plan also calls for a further 233,700 square feet for smaller retailers, connecting the new Sears store to the mall.

To accommodate the proposed development, Coventry Road’s north-south section would have to be realigned about 120 metres to the west.

Though MacDonald conceded “the economy’s obviously fairly soggy on the retail side,” he pointed out that it takes years to bring such projects to fruition.

If Morguard gets the necessary approvals, construction would likely begin in 2012, MacDonald said. The expansion would be built in two or three phases, with completion between 2014 and 2015.

Even in today’s weak economic economy, MacDonald said, “St. Laurent is such a highly performing centre, there is a significant pent-up demand for quality retail space.”

Michael Polowin, a lawyer who specializes in municipal planning law and commercial real estate, saw nothing unusual about St. Laurent and Bayshore proposing major expansions in a recession.

“This is an extraordinary stable economy, the tech meltdown notwithstanding,” he said. “People are still spending money, and they’re borrowing money. It’s just a very different economy.”

He pointed out that the Rideau Centre opened in 1983, at the tail end of a nasty recession. “And it set North American sales records.”

Barry Nabatian, general manager of Market Research Corp., said Ottawa remains under-serviced des-pite the rapid expansion of retail outlets in recent years.

Once shoppers from Gatineau have been factored in, Ottawa should be able to support retail spending of $35 per square foot per person, Nabatian said. But spending currently stands at just under $32 per square foot per capita, he said.

Nabatian said many government workers, who usually have good, stable incomes, live east of the Rideau River, and the population there has been growing rapidly.

For them, St. Laurent is a natural place to shop, but the mall is often overcrowded, Nabatian said. “They really need some more retail facilities and more space for people to walk and socialize.”

He said enclosed malls like St. Laurent and Bayshore have a bright future because aging consumers prefer them to open-air “power centres” such as Kanata’s Centrum.

“They’d much rather go to an enclosed shopping mall because it’s convenient, it’s warm, it’s cool in the summer, there’s food, there’s entertainment,” Nabatian said.

The planning and environment committee is to consider Morguard’s rezoning application Oct. 27.

A spokesman for the vacationing Jacques Legendre — who represents the ward — said the councillor plans to hold public consultations on the proposed St. Laurent expansion.

Top 10 Canadian shopping malls, by size

1. West Edmonton Mall, Edmonton, 3.8 million square feet, 800+ stores

2. Metropolis at Metrotown, Burnaby, B.C., 1.783 million square feet, 470 stores

3. Eaton Centre, Toronto, 1.722 million square feet, 330 stores

4. Square One, Mississauga, 1.614 million square feet, 360 stores

5. Yorkdale, Toronto, 1.404 million square feet, 260 stores

6. Galeries de la Capitale, Quebec City, 1.4 million square feet, 280 stores

7. Pacific Centre, Vancouver, 1.39 million square feet, 250 stores

8. Carrefour Laval, Laval, 1.318 million square feet, 300+ stores

9. Scarborough Town Centre, 1.307 million square feet, 220 stores

10. Laurier Quebec, Quebec City, 1.25 million square feet, 300 stores

Where St. Laurent Shopping Centre ranks: At 971,000 square feet and 195 stores, St. Laurent is the 27th largest shopping mall in Canada. After expansion, it will be the 10th largest, with about 1.3 million square feet of gross leasable space.

© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

Old Posted Aug 11, 2009, 1:45 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
As well, there would be two additional 80,000-square-foot retail tenants. They’ve been identified, but MacDonald said it was premature to reveal them.
Not on this website, I guess. Better not show this page to Mr. MacDonald.

So who's the second 80,000 sq ft. tenant?

Old Posted Aug 13, 2009, 7:13 PM

Why is this in Suburbs? Is Overbrook suburbs now?

Old Posted Aug 13, 2009, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yroc View Post
I can still see the appalled look I got many years ago from a nouveau Glebite when I unwittingly referred to the Glebe as "the suburbs"!

Old Posted Aug 14, 2009, 12:16 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yroc View Post
Good question. For the purposes of this forum, I was under the impression that anything outside the greenbelt was classified as "Suburbs", and anything inside was "Downtown and City of Ottawa". At least that's how most threads have been divided.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2009, 12:45 AM
National Capital Region

Eventually when the retail buildings are built along St. Laurent, it would be really neat to see this whole strip get redeveloped (click to enlarge)

Source: http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve-brandon/3506157712/

Last edited by waterloowarrior; Aug 14, 2009 at 1:17 AM.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2009, 12:48 AM
Mooderator

There were two threads on this same subject. I merged the two into the one that was created in the 'suburbs' section, because I figured St. Laurent isn't downtown.

If you guys want it to be in the 'downtown' section, let me know and I can move it. I just figured it isn't very 'urban' to have a thread about malls and expansive parking lots in the 'downtown' folder.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2009, 2:06 AM

Inside the greenbelt versus outside is a good way to split it..

Perhaps that can be made clear and this can be moved.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2009, 2:15 AM
National Capital Region

I dunno, I've just posted things like harls described... urban or urbanizing = downtown/city forum, suburban = suburbs. If we do it inside/outside greenbelt we'd have to take a lot of the major projects out of the suburban forum (Algonquin, Montreal/Ogilvie, Marriott, St. Mary's, Laurentian, Morisson-Draper, Trainyards etc)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa