HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Nov 2, 2022, 3:07 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

height aside, i still cannot believe how handsome and well designed this is. particularly the part we will all interact with the most, the base and entrance. its a real work of modern art. we were truly blessed by the skyscraper gods for this one.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2022, 3:17 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
height aside, i still cannot believe how handsome and well designed this is. particularly the part we will all interact with the most, the base and entrance. its a real work of modern art. we were truly blessed by the skyscraper gods for this one.
Agreed 100%.

Central Park Tower is insanely tall but isn't anything too special design-wise and is relatively skinny. It's still a monster in person but not as much as this beast will be.

Girth (and design) matter along with height, obviously.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2022, 3:52 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Agreed 100%.

Central Park Tower is insanely tall but isn't anything too special design-wise and is relatively skinny. It's still a monster in person but not as much as this beast will be.

Girth (and design) matter along with height, obviously.

Girth alone doesn’t make a tower special. 50 Hudson is a massive beast, but it’s design is awkward for that much height and bulk. The Spiral, another girthy addition, is a little more pleasant to look at, but both towers can be considered too bulky. A tower can have bulk and grace. But bulk alone isn’t something you want on a skyline. 50 Hudson could dominate many skylines, but not particularly postcard worthy.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2022, 7:21 PM
New Yorker for life

A legacy of skyscrapers, where an icon will rise...

NOVEMBER 2, 2022

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2022, 5:11 AM

Hunters Ponit/ Greenpoint waterfront looking pretty significant from here.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2022, 2:17 PM
New Yorker for life

175 Park will take out the middle portion of that view.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 3:08 AM

I wish we could have this built in Chicago lol. Chicago desperately need a building like this in the Loop or River North area.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 6:16 PM
New Yorker for life

Hyatt hasn’t said much about what the hotel will be branded, but another opening in the city…

https://newsroom.hyatt.com/news-releases?item=124311

Grayson Hotel Debuts As The First Hotel In The Unbound Collection By Hyatt In New York City
The 296-room lifestyle hotel celebrates the city’s storied past, with views of The Empire State Building, Freedom Tower, Bryant Park and One Times Square

November 8, 2022

Quote:
Hyatt Hotels Corporation announced today the opening of Grayson Hotel, introducing The Unbound Collection by Hyatt brand to New York. In a city that has been rewriting its story for nearly 350 years, Grayson Hotel’s industrial-chic personality pays homage to the turn-of-the-century industrialization of New York and the cross-cultural culinary awakening it inspired, ushering in a bright new chapter.

Located in Midtown Manhattan and steps from Fifth Avenue and Bryant Park, Grayson Hotel gives guests the freedom to explore the very best of the city that never sleeps—discovering story worthy experiences like never before. Although Grayson Hotel occupies a brand-new building at 30 W. 39th Street, it tells the story of its surrounding neighborhoods: Murray Hill, named for the Irish-born merchant who came to New York in 1753; the Garment District, America’s fashion epicenter since 1919; and most recently, Hudson Yards, a sprawling 28-acre neighborhood built over a historic rail yard.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 6:17 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeshoredrive View Post
I wish we could have this built in Chicago lol. Chicago desperately need a building like this in the Loop or River North area.
Chicago has the Tribune East Tower which is pretty cool although it's probably much less likely to happen than this one.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 6:28 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

i would much rather we have a hole in the ground there for awhile than have to look at that crap hotel another moment.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 6:29 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbiTevye View Post
The developer of "Tribune Tower East" said that it was just a concept that was never intended to be built.
Right, this was a rumor on this forum (albeit possibly true, I guess we'll find out).

It obviously at one point was intended to be built since they spent all of the time and money getting it approved and engineered.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 6:34 PM
New Yorker for life

This is not a Chicago development thread. That conversation can carry on in the proper place.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2022, 3:27 PM
BANNED

Weil is another very big fish that could be a tenant here or in 350 Park. Its lease at the GM Building expires in 2029.

https://www.weil.com/articles/weil-s...ease-extension

Old Posted Nov 10, 2022, 1:23 AM
New Yorker for life

https://commercialobserver.com/2022/...ntral-madison/

The long-awaited East Side Access project generated a lot of office development that now faces a leasing test

BY MARK HALLUM
NOVEMBER 9, 2022

Quote:
….. One of the single, biggest infrastructure projects in the United States, East Side Access includes a 700,000-square-foot underground terminal dubbed Grand Central Madison by the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, with 17 high-rise escalators each 182 feet in length, eight new track beds, and two mezzanines sheathed in granite that sit 170 feet below the surface of Grand Central Terminal. The LIRR route will run seven miles from Queens’ Sunnyside Yards.

….. more office development is coming regardless, due largely to a rezoning of Midtown East that the City Council passed in 2017 and due partly to the anticipated convenience of the new transit hub. These developments include JPMorgan Chase’s 270 Park Avenue at 2.5 million square feet, and RXR’s 175 Park Avenue that will have 2.1 million square feet and dwarf the Empire State Building in height.

At the same time, the vicinity remains a favorite with investors. Up to $1.413 billion in multifamily mixed-use property sales and $2.842 billion in sales of office buildings have closed over the last 12 months in Manhattan from 34th to 59th Street and the East River to Fifth Avenue, according to data from Ariel Property Advisors.

“When we deliver it in 2029, 175 Park will be the tallest commercial building in the Western Hemisphere — and it’s something that wouldn’t have happened without that rezoning,” Scott Rechler, chairman and CEO of RXR, previously told Commercial Observer. “It becomes self-fulfilling, because the whole Grand Central marketplace is getting better and better in terms of the quality of the buildings, the quality of the public spaces, and the quality of the infrastructure there — not only from what has been invested because of these projects, but also with the opening of the East Side Access.”

….. Probably the biggest reason for any bullishness — at least among commercial real estate owners — is the success of One Vanderbilt. SL Green Realty opened the 77-story, 1.75 million-square-foot office tower next to Grand Central Terminal in late 2020, before any COVID vaccines were available. It is now nearly completely leased, and at some of the highest asking rents in the city’s history.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2022, 1:34 AM
BANNED

I really hope that demolition starts in 2023.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2022, 2:14 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
I really hope that demolition starts in 2023.
i would be more than willing to bring a hammer over there tomorrow and get started.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2022, 2:25 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
i would be more than willing to bring a hammer over there tomorrow and get started.
I agree.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2022, 4:19 PM
New Yorker for life

It's almost 2023 (that was fast), so the conversation about exactly when the hotel is closed for good will start sooner rather than later.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2022, 5:34 PM
BANNED

Yes, but I hope that it closes in early 2023 and not on Dec of 2023.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2022, 10:08 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
Yes, but I hope that it closes in early 2023 and not on Dec of 2023.
Demo would likely start early-mid 2023 (hopefully) if construction on the actual tower is to start in 2024. I thought I heard that somewhere (the 2024 figure) but correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm sure they want to go ahead and get started, though of course things happen and timetables are always subject to change, especially in these uncertain times.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals