HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 11, 2005, 6:38 PM

Jack...3rd reason...poor investment by the Health Industry. Someone hast to pay for their loses.

If fat was such a health crises....and causing a drain on the system....then it would be covered (weight loss) by most insurance companies, which it isn't. Wouldn't it be easier to by $41 a month for a pill than thousands for all the things that can go wrong when a person is obese? But they don't consider it medical...so I don't see how it can be a medical cause to higher insurance.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2005, 10:59 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by texboy
btw you want to know what those numbers were based on, the ratio of the amount of health clubs to the number of restaurants...yea don't ever use those again.... All you have to do is look at the top ten to realize that all of those cities are in or near or ARE major metro areas. and btw, never in a MILLION YEARS will I EVER think the damn government should step in on a city populations "obesity"....I want the government to stay out of my life as much as possible these days. If people want to be fat LET THEM...its their life...NOT THE GOVERNMENTS!
If cities and news agencies across this country use these rankings, so shall I!

When ever you rank something, there is always going to be an air of subjectivity as well as some objectivity…

Obesity in the United States IS a problem and it doesn't matter if your private/commercial health insurance company pays for this type care or not.

It does matter when these corpulent individuals need medical care and are on either Medicare or Medicaid insurance. It also matters if they do not have health insurance at all. Why? Well, the care for these patients is funded with dollars accrued from your annual Federal Income Tax collections. It is important for governments to promote better health so that it is not such a burden on their bottom lines.

I have worked for a healthcare network in the Austin area for some time. It is a non-profit healthcare organization who dishes out in excess of $100 million per annum for "charity" care. Who pays these organizations back for caring for these patients? The U.S. Government.

Now, I would admit that the majority of patients we see are not ailing from conditions directly related to obesity, but it is still a problem and we all need to care about it (amongst many other things)!

P.S.
Do you consider Boston, Cleveland, Denver, Los Angeles, Minneapolis, Portland, Sacramento, San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle and Washington, D.C. as “major metro. areas?” They’re all bigger than San Antonio and all have been ranked as some of the “Fittest” cities in America. Just because one might live in a “major metro. area” does not mean that its population is going to be “fat.”

Old Posted Nov 12, 2005, 12:01 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot

If cities and news agencies across this country use these rankings, so shall I!
Don't be stupid, like them. The criteria for this list is such a damn joke, I don't even think people who try to use it legitly know how it came to be.

Quote:
When ever you rank something, there is always going to be an air of subjectivity as well as some objectivity…
Number of health clubs and memberships to restuarants is just a stupid stupid way to make a list that labels a city "unhealthy" or "fat."

Old Posted Nov 12, 2005, 5:28 AM

Portland and Sac I wouldn't label bigger.
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2005, 7:08 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in S.A TX
Portland and Sac I wouldn't label bigger.

We already know that you wouldn't. But they are.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2005, 7:15 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

[QUOTE=SayTownboy ]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot

Number of health clubs and memberships to restuarants is just a stupid stupid way to make a list that labels a city "unhealthy" or "fat."

hmmmm,

Actually SayTown, I agree with you 100%.

I hadn't heard that criteria. Though admittedly the people here in California are thinner than you would find in other (unmentioned parts of the country). No I'm not talking about Texas either. In fact it never seemed to me that Teaxans or more specifically San Antonio seemed fat. People seemed just as fit as they do here.
Now Milwaukee on the other hand??? lol

However, I agree that as a formula for determing whether a city is fit or fat, it doesn't make sense.

Last edited by urban_encounter; Nov 12, 2005 at 7:34 AM.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2005, 4:11 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

I just got a job at the new Lifetime Fitness here in San Antonio...This place is MASSIVE! visit www.lifetimefitness.com and take the virtual tour...you will see what I mean. They have SOLD OUT all but their Sport memberships....and as far as I know they are getting close to not being able to offer the Sport membership anymore. The demand is HUGE here for health clubs and both Spectrum Clubs and Lifetime Fitness were smart enough to see this! I also here 24 hour Fitness maybe trying to make an entry into San Antonio...I don't think they will have problems. Lifetime Fitness is already planning to build another club over on 1604 and I-10, just based on the numbers theyve seen at the 281 1604 club.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2005, 4:56 PM

Hays county is only 12-15 miles from Bexar county but is apart of Austin metro.So many people commute from San Antonio to San Marcos and vice versa.The same for San MArcos -Austin, but they are a few miles closer.Anyhow it's just a what if, so really doesnt mean anything, but if Hays county was apart of SA it would be in the 2.1 million range as well.
I would put San Antonio larger than Sac or Portland the first 400 square miles where you actually feel urbanity. Then they surpass San Antonio metro a bit by counting cities and towns 40-50 miles away. San Antonio's southern metro is not very populated presently.The growth is mostly all north, in San Antonio and between both of the cities.
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2005, 5:00 PM

Austin-SA corridor map.San Antonio's southern counties are not included.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2005, 5:25 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Hays county is only 12-15 miles from Bexar county but is apart of Austin metro.So many people commute from San Antonio to San Marcos and vice versa.The same for San MArcos -Austin, but they are a few miles closer.Anyhow it's just a what if, so really doesnt mean anything, but if Hays county was apart of SA it would be in the 2.1 million range as well.
I would put San Antonio larger than Sac or Portland the first 400 square miles where you actually feel urbanity. Then they surpass San Antonio metro a bit by counting cities and towns 40-50 miles away. San Antonio's southern metro is not very populated presently.The growth is mostly all north, in San Antonio and between both of the cities.

I wish I could fly you out here as my guest because you continue contradict the facts. Facts don't lie, neither do density maps, census statistics etc which you've seen for yourself....

Rankings for the three MSAs you mentioned

24th Portland
26th Sacramento
29th San Antonio
(2004 MSA)

The Sacramento MSA is only the immediate urban areas of the 4 county region. Sacramento, Davis, Roseville, Folsom West Sacramento etc.... Your thinking about the CMSA in regards to some of the Sierra towns (which btw are tiny backwaters)...

I enjoy debating with you Paul. I think it's friendly, good natured and what makes these boards entertaining. But really, why do you still cling to this notion considering all of the maps, statistics etc that you've seen?? Is the testimony of someone (me) who has lived in both cities not credible???

This is all in good fun.......

enjoy...........

Last edited by urban_encounter; Nov 12, 2005 at 6:02 PM.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2005, 5:28 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Austin-SA corridor map.San Antonio's southern counties are not included.

Reminds me alot of the I 80 corridor between the Bay and Sacramento.

Last edited by urban_encounter; Nov 12, 2005 at 5:53 PM.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2005, 6:01 PM
BANNED

If I can throw my 15 cents into this thing.

I firmly believe San Antonio as a city is at the beginning stages of a really high wave that is about to crest.

N o other time has San Antonio had such great economic lust, at work, I meet someone new, who has recently moved to San Antonio from out of state, everyday. It's crazy.

The growth in at every level in the city within the next five years will be insane. San Antonio in five years will be at another level. Top level, no. But another level.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2005, 7:05 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

I agree with you 100% Derek. However the thing to keep in perspective is that other cities and metros are also growing. Many at the the same rate of growth (or greater).

Even though I'm moving to Chicago for career and educational opportunities, I have seen how my own city has exploded population wise and continues to do so. I also watch all the new development planned or currently under construction around the area and especially downtown.

Having just recently visited Portland the same is true for that city, though I think Portland is much farther ahead of the urban curve than either San Antonio or Sacramento.

None of this minimizes what is occuring in San Antonio. However proper perspective is key.

One area where San Antonio is much further ahead of either Sacramento or Portland, is the number of corporate headquarters.

(large corporations)

Old Posted Nov 12, 2005, 7:38 PM
BANNED

No way am I trying to take away from any other cities achievements. And I do think I have the proper perspective when I do say what I say.

I've lived in this city all my life and at 28 I don't claim to know it all or to have seen it all, but from what little I can offer, this city has never once been in the position it is in. It's always just been average in terms of "what was next." Average or borderline. Leadership for the past 15 years we have had below average leadership.

Not only that but unlike other cities growing at as fast or faster, we have never been able to call it "positive growth" unlike the last 3-4 years.

UTSA is one of the fastest growing Universities in Texas, the ACCD is said to reach an enrollment of 69,000 students by 2010.

South Side growth is booming for the first time ever.

It's just wonderful to see this city finally realizing its full potential instead of just being fine with average.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2005, 3:36 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

I love San Antonio. It will always be one of my favorites.

Sorry I didn't mean to insinuate that you were taking away from other cities achievements. Sorry if that's how it sounded.

I guess what I was trying to say is that I'm always amazed at the rates of growth for cities like Portland Sacramento or San Antonio.

It's absolutely insane at times.

Now the real challenge is to ensure they all grow responsibly from here on out...

Old Posted Nov 13, 2005, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_encounter

In fact it never seemed to me that Teaxans or more specifically San Antonio seemed fat. People seemed just as fit as they do here.
You have clearly never been on the dating scene here. lol.
"We marched five leagues over a fine country with broad plains, the most beautiful in all of New Spain. We camped on the banks of an arroyo. This I called San Antonio de Padua, because we reached it on the day of his festival." - General Domingo Teran de los Rios, June 13, 1691, in a letter to the King of Spain on the occasion of the founding of San Antonio.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2005, 6:19 PM

NICE!

We marched five leagues over a fine country with broad plains, the most beautiful in all of New Spain. We camped on the banks of an arroyo. This I called San Antonio de Padua, because we reached it on the day of his festival." - General Domingo Teran de los Rios, June 13, 1691, in a letter to the King of Spain on the occasion of the founding of San Antonio.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2005, 10:37 PM
what the?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXlifeguard
Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_encounter

In fact it never seemed to me that Teaxans or more specifically San Antonio seemed fat. People seemed just as fit as they do here.
You have clearly never been on the dating scene here. lol.
HAHA...so true

Old Posted Nov 13, 2005, 10:47 PM
BANNED

I've been part of the SA dating scene for some 5 years now.

I can attest to big girls living in San Antonio, but what city doesn't have them?

I've meet and seen more healthy weighing women than I have seen overweight women throughout my so far successful 5 years on the dating scene.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2005, 12:59 AM
what the?!

maybe im just pessimistic or something but ive seen more fat people here than anywhere else.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations