HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup

Old Posted Jul 23, 2008, 8:52 PM
Posting Quick Reply

i think he's keeping the galcorp building as the tallest.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2008, 11:09 PM
World Machine

Do you plan on making an airport of some sorts? Just throwing it out there. I think an airport with those planes from the 3-D warehouse with a view of the city would look pretty cool.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2008, 11:18 PM

Wow! westly ave looks sweet! very nice. nice pedestrian bridges too.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 8:51 AM
Desert Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.M. View Post
How about something shiney and tall along the water like the Freedom Tower just better.
But that would throw off the skyline, I guess it would be cool, but in Staunton, Galcorp will always be the tallest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
Well regardless the city still looks fantastic. I look foward to seeing what you make of Midtown. If you're not looking to make 'Midtown' into a 'large' business distirct like Downtown, I would say take the Century City approach.

Do you still plan on bringing back Staunton Square? If you do, to keep things realistic, you shouldn't go too crazy with it. Just a few buildings with the standard 'Times Square' theme. You should try to keep it simple.
Midtown would be a modest sized business district, divided into two parts, Staunton Square, and Midtown Staunton. Midtown, as I always envisioned would have three main skyscrapers, all 500 - 700 feet tall, all built in the 1920's - 1930's. The tallest would have a large sign cascading on the front, the building itself, modeled off of the Essex House in NYC, it will be the 5th tallest in Staunton, 1st outside Downtown. Another with a radio tower, the other just an art deco tower.

McFarland Center, Staunton's equivelant to the Rockafeller Center was removed outta Downtown a few months ago, and has been in "storage", the four towers will be in Midtown, surrounded by several 1960's and 1970's boxes. United American Avenue would end in Midtown, the tallest building in Midtown will terminate the avenue, with a Chicago Board of Trade simularity.

Staunton Square, I've been thinking of making it new this time, maybe with a grid? Instead of Two interscting streets, I'm not sure, all the Staunton Square classics will be back. Plus, some of Staunton's very first buildings, they have not gone completly, I have a file, where buildings sit in "Storage" waiting for them to be revived.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
Do you plan on making an airport of some sorts? Just throwing it out there. I think an airport with those planes from the 3-D warehouse with a view of the city would look pretty cool.
Of Course, but thats months, maybe a year away, Richard O' Donnelly Airport will be located in Jefferson, the terminal will face Downtown Staunton, and the Jefferson Business District, the back will face New York Bay, on clear days you could see NYC clearly.

WELL

Another step closer to Jefferson, the completion of the North River Seaport.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 11:30 AM
All aboard the Failboat

I can't recall what the mcfarland center looked like.

Do you also have the old jersey post building in storage?

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 11:42 AM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Patrick just wondering. Have you tried the Sqirlz water reflections program? It's great and really easy to use.
http://www.xiberpix.net/SqirlzReflect.html

By the way, you're a master at texturing.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 11:17 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

Why don't you make something with a lower roof height that Galcorp but with a tall spire like the Freedom tower (like Dac said). That way Galcorp looses it's rule of tallest building but the roof height is taller than the one of the new building.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 11:30 PM

guys calm down, it's his city and he's making it the way he wants, and he'd said it dozens of times thatgalcorps the tallest.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2008, 1:16 PM
Posting Quick Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by malec View Post
Patrick just wondering. Have you tried the Sqirlz water reflections program? It's great and really easy to use.

Is it easier and quicker than kerk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks0o01 View Post
Why don't you make something with a lower roof height that Galcorp but with a tall spire like the Freedom tower (like Dac said). That way Galcorp looses it's rule of tallest building but the roof height is taller than the one of the new building.
I just don't see it in Staunton. Staunton has a more gritty feel than New York, and while Staunton is based on New York, Patrick's been going out of his way to make sure this isn't a copy of New York. I don't see it. I don't think it fits with what he's trying to do with Staunton.

I really don't think it fits with New York, either, for that matter.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2008, 9:57 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

I don't think it looks like New York that much either, it was just a suggestion to add a tall tower with spire so Galcorp doesn't loose the title. And it doesn't have to look like the Freedom Tower, it was an example. Anyways, a modern building like the Guggenheim Bilbao or Rainier tower would look nice. Well, imo.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2008, 4:24 AM

modern glassy tower would look great,at the 300-500 Foot range. like so maybe http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=123032

Old Posted Jul 26, 2008, 4:34 AM
Desert Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrightguy0 View Post
I can't recall what the mcfarland center looked like.

Do you also have the old jersey post building in storage?
I do not, I never was a fan of it, there is now a new New Jersey Post Building, next door to the Garden State Building, modeled off of the Daily News Building.

McFarland Center, once in the middle of Downtown, now replaced with various skyscrapers.

Other “SAVED” Staunton creations, remember theres still several other buildings that have been saved from previous Staunton creations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malec View Post

I have not, what specifically dose it do? I tend to stay away from those rendering programs, after experiencing EVIL kerkythea.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin55 View Post
guys calm down, it's his city and he's making it the way he wants, and he'd said it dozens of times thatgalcorps the tallest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan118 View Post
I just don't see it in Staunton. Staunton has a more gritty feel than New York, and while Staunton is based on New York, Patrick's been going out of his way to make sure this isn't a copy of New York. I don't see it. I don't think it fits with what he's trying to do with Staunton.

I really don't think it fits with New York, either, for that matter.
Quote:
I don't think it looks like New York that much either, it was just a suggestion to add a tall tower with spire so Galcorp doesn't loose the title. And it doesn't have to look like the Freedom Tower, it was an example. Anyways, a modern building like the Guggenheim Bilbao or Rainier tower would look nice. Well, imo.
Basically what FlyersFan118 said, perfectly, Staunton is based on 90's New York City, it will never see all this new wave or "organic" architecture, only modern and below. I still dont know what year Staunton is set it, notice a few pages back, one of the newest buildings I added was built in 2006.

But Galcorp will always be Stauntons tallest building. Even when I complete Staunton, Galcorp will still be the tallest, thats how it was intended. Staunton wont age, but sit still in time, cause thats how it was designed as, 1990's New York.

BESIDES, Galcorp makes a good tallest, eh?

Old Posted Jul 28, 2008, 2:17 AM

Im still for having a taller tower than the GALcorp Building, something that will remain tallest and something that stands out. But I know it wont happen now

Old Posted Jul 28, 2008, 2:22 AM

i think he's made his decision

BTW Patrick those are some sweet shots of Galcorp! and i for one think it should stay the tallest!

Old Posted Jul 28, 2008, 2:24 AM

well GALcorp building is ok but its just well... ugly in my opinion.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2008, 1:30 PM

it's not ugly it's a boxy New York skyscraper^^ a new tallest would be cool but i like the idea of Staunton as 1990s New York City.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2008, 7:36 PM

Great city, I think that the Galcorp tower should stay the tallest.
Transportation. http://trinity-bay.myminicity.com/tra

Old Posted Aug 1, 2008, 9:29 AM
Desert Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.M. View Post
well GALcorp building is ok but its just well... ugly in my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by [SP]Neo View Post
it's not ugly it's a boxy New York skyscraper^^ a new tallest would be cool but i like the idea of Staunton as 1990s New York City.
Now your getting it, this is Staunton, people you've got to lower your standerds, this is Staunton, you know what I mean? The Galcorp Plaza is supposed to be ugly and bulky, thats the point. Hm, Ironically Galcorp itself has a nice clean successful record.

Old school classics! Somethings on the way!

Last edited by Patrick; Apr 27, 2018 at 6:47 PM.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2008, 10:25 AM
nuttin

You tell em Patrick ! It's your smexy beast.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2008, 12:11 PM
All aboard the Failboat

I have no clue what it could be

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup