HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 5, 2008, 9:45 PM

a

Last edited by rdavis4559; Sep 5, 2008 at 10:02 PM.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2008, 9:52 PM

Someone on HAIF posted this:

"Lasco/Hicks works up plans for new Galleria-area office tower

Specifics about a proposed office tower in the Galleria area are slowing leaking out while the developer strives to keep all of the particulars under wraps.

Lasco/Hicks Ventures Ltd. is working on a 400,000-square-foot office building to be constructed on three acres on Post Oak near Richmond, according to a source familiar with the deal.

Information about the project was also included on a general direct-mail piece from Houston-based Michael Berry Properties, which is not involved in the project. The mailing advertises a 26-story office building to be constructed at 3100 Post Oak that will have a ground-floor restaurant overlooking the waters of the Lakes on Post Oak office complex.

Executives with Lasco/Hicks could not be reached for comment."

http://houston.bizjournals.com/houst...8/story11.html

Old Posted Sep 6, 2008, 4:49 AM
Ex Houstonian

Wow would you look at all of those cranes in the medical district. Wow! I had no idea there was that much construction down there. How tall or some of those new towers going to be down there?

Old Posted Sep 8, 2008, 3:42 PM

Some shots of OPP's roof:

Old Posted Sep 9, 2008, 9:44 PM

YMCA to relocate downtown facility

The YMCA of Greater Houston will replace the existing downtown YMCA with a new facility to be constructed at 808 Pease that will be named after the Tellepsen family of Houston.

The YMCA recently purchased the block bounded by Pease, Jefferson, Travis and Milam for a new 107,000-square-foot club that will feature group exercise rooms, community meeting space, a chapel and space dedicated to teenagers and children. The site is currently being used as a surface parking lot.

The Tellepsen Family YMCA will replace the aging Downtown YMCA, which is located a couple of blocks away at 1600 Louisiana.

The new facility is being named after the Tellepsens because the construction family is the lead donor for the project. And the Tellepsens have been involved with the YMCA since 1910, with four generations serving on the board.

Tellepsen Builders LP was selected as the general contractor for the new building, which is being designed by Houston-based Kirksey architectural firm.

Of the 38 YMCA facilities in Houston, this will be the first that’s designed in accordance with LEED criteria for sustainable, green buildings.

Construction will begin on the new building in January 2009 and be finished by Fall 2010.

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/s...l?ana=from_rss

Old Posted Sep 15, 2008, 2:57 AM
Endless Moments...

How is my Houston doing? Still alive and she will be back and better then ever...

Old Posted Sep 16, 2008, 4:27 PM

How did all the cranes do and the current construction in the Houston Area during the storm?

Old Posted Sep 16, 2008, 8:45 PM
Ex Houstonian

I dont think anyone from Houston is responding to our questions because they are still without power and will be for 2 or 3 more weeks in a lot of areas so the people down there probably cant use teh internets.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2008, 8:58 PM
Dryer lint inspector

the cranes didn't collapse and the city isn't that bad of shape. it was a bad day if you were a tree though.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2008, 3:38 AM

or a power line.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2008, 4:43 AM

i just got my power back today and im so glad! i live in west houston between highway 6 and fry rd., and i thought our damage was bad until i saw on the internet and tv how bad it is everywhere else.. i am however truly proud to be a houstonian. hearing the stories and seeing people help others that are in need is absolutley wonderful. i really do want everything to get back to normal though; news stations, restaurants, businesses, parks, streets, neighborhoods.. and poor Bolivar Penninsula.. they're are getting overlooked by FEMA because of galveston and houston. people there have nothing left but themselves and FEMA isnt helping them at all. that just sickens me..
-- back on topic, i really hope that future plans for other projects dont get cancelled.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2008, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm91 View Post
.. and poor Bolivar Penninsula.. they're are getting overlooked by FEMA because of galveston and houston. people there have nothing left but themselves and FEMA isnt helping them at all. that just sickens me..
Wait, how do you know FEMA isn't helping Bolivar? It was underwater for a decent while so no one could get there, and FEMA has to deal with 5.6 million people in the region, not including East Texas or Southwestern Louisiana. Let's try not to jump to conclusions. FEMA isn't the greatest run organization (mainly because of its use as a political punching bag) but its not worthless.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2008, 2:58 PM

Good to hear that everyone is okay though.

Last edited by AstrosFreak; Sep 17, 2008 at 3:00 PM. Reason: Double post thanks to stupid server timeout

Old Posted Sep 17, 2008, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstrosFreak View Post
Wait, how do you know FEMA isn't helping Bolivar? It was underwater for a decent while so no one could get there, and FEMA has to deal with 5.6 million people in the region, not including East Texas or Southwestern Louisiana. Let's try not to jump to conclusions. FEMA isn't the greatest run organization (mainly because of its use as a political punching bag) but its not worthless.
The Galveston County judge is seeking to declare martial law for the Bolivar peninsula in an effort to force every last remaining citizen off of the area. Translation: FEMA isn't helping Bolivar.

For politics, check out my blog Texas Leftist

Old Posted Sep 17, 2008, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanactivistTX View Post
The Galveston County judge is seeking to declare martial law for the Bolivar peninsula in an effort to force every last remaining citizen off of the area. Translation: FEMA isn't helping Bolivar.
What does the Galveston County judge have to do with FEMA? I'm not a FEMA supporter or anything (whatever that means); I would just like to hear evidence that FEMA willingly isn't helping the people on the Bolivar peninsula before everyone jumps to conclusions about any of the recovery effort. A county judge is very far removed from a Federal organization.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2008, 3:51 PM
Endless Moments...

I am very curious to see the city. I will be back on Sunday to check it out. I really do miss home. The pictures are something else...

Old Posted Sep 18, 2008, 5:31 PM

Blvd Place rental rates highest in Galleria area

Quoted rental rates for office space in the Blvd Place mixed-use project that’s under development in the Galleria area are higher than for any other office building in the submarket and comparable with rates being quoted for new office construction in the Central Business District.

Chip Colvill of Colvill Office Properties, who has been hired to find office tenants for Blvd Place, says rates are being quoted in the low to high $30-per-square-foot range. The net rental rate does not include operating costs, such as taxes and insurance.

In comparison, premier Galleria area office buildings are quoting rental rates in the $25 net range, Colvill says.

And the downtown office tower under development by Houston-based Hines is quoting rates starting at $33 net, says Stewart Robinson of Hines.

Blvd Place is charging top dollar because office space on the third and fourth floors above high-end retail space will be very dramatic, says Colvill.

“It’s not like we’re pre-leasing a building and garage,” he says. “We’re pre-leasing a lifestyle.”

Blvd Place, which is being developed by Houston-based Wulfe & Co., plans to have a total of 350,000 square feet of office space in six buildings designed by DMJM Design of Los Angeles.

Office space will sit on top of stores and restaurants in all of the buildings. One larger office building, with nine levels, is designed to have 180,000 square feet of office.

Blvd Place’s first building, which is already under construction, will have 35,000 square feet of office space. Colvill says the project’s remaining office space will break ground in 2009 for delivery in 2010.

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/s...l?ana=from_rss

Old Posted Sep 19, 2008, 5:26 PM

Old Posted Sep 19, 2008, 6:09 PM
Chairman

Thank God this was nothing like Alicia during '83.

-sb

Old Posted Sep 19, 2008, 9:57 PM

I work downtown and from what I have heard and seen, many buildings sustained leakage and cracked windows but nothing like Chase Tower and its garage with the numerous blown out windows. I don't know much about the intricacies of building design. Do these windows have a flaw?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations