HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 6:27 AM
retro_orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by entheosfog View Post
The building that Budget is in COULD look a lot better without the crappy paint job and is one of the few remaining heritage structures in the area and could be a great asset to a new development (much like the Homer Block) but yeah, that's pretty much the Vancouver way, right?
It would be nice to see the brick facade restored and maintained on the new building, as one of the lower boxes in the architecture. Aside from missing the original windows and 2 basic brick 'eyebrows' on the roofline; it's in pretty good shape for being over 100 years old. I think the paint you see now on the brick is only the first layer so it should be easy to remove.

All that said it's likely a lost cause at this point. Also being an auto showroom/repair shop for most of it's 100+ year life, I would imagine there's alot of contamination. There's gotta be at least one buried oil or gas tank on the site under the parking pad, along with one for used oil. Removed or not, if they did decades ago they would have left the contaminated soil in situ.

As far as the new building, I like the idea. I'm curious how the floorplates will be laid out with walls and furniture etc., although it's mostly windows, the floors seem kinda cramped as they are compartmentalized, especially for someone who would want a large open modern office space. Very indirect walking paths is what i'm saying. Seems like a better concept for a residential building maybe?

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 8:30 AM

I think the layout will only work for an open concept office that has activity zones / lounges.
There's no way that floorplate could accommodate hallways.
It'll probably be hard to install "back of house" storage areas and the like except at the south end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 7:15 PM
ON3P Skis

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
I think the layout will only work for an open concept office that has activity zones / lounges.
It'll probably be hard to install "back of house" storage areas and the like except at the south end.
Wasn't that mentioned in the submission though? That this building would be almost exclusively suited and marketed towards this type of client?

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 9:34 PM

Glad to see this one public, will be a very interesting one to watch be built with it's circular core and steel construction. Been a while since we've seen a building go up in Vancouver using either of those methods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libtard View Post
Why would Amazon build an entire tower? In Vancouver? They already have enough towers under construction right now
Vancouver has enough towers under construction or amazon does? Vancouver definitely does not from an office point of view.

Amazon is looking to expand in Vancouver in a very large way, if the rumours are true they will need this tower to satisfy their growth requirements.

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 3:37 AM

It would be nice to see what is planned for the lot between this one and Telus Garden. I personally would like to see this entire stretch(VPL to Telus Garden) on Georgia built all at once just so they can finally fix that horrible sidewalk along that stretch on West Georgia.

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 7:31 AM

Seen at night.

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 7:44 AM
retro_orange

lol, daytime image made darker.

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 8:07 AM

It might be from 2117 Vancouver, when we finally have that much light pollution downtown...

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 9:32 AM
retro_orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Are all the floorplates roughly the same sf, just varying box placement?

As for the parking lot on the corner of Richards I would love to see a 'Streamlined Moderne' style office building that takes styling from the Colliers dealership that was built there in 1948, complete with a neon rooftop lighting feature like the dealership originally had It was a waste of a gem.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/6/5014/5...c96daee8_z.jpg

Quote:
Previously, the Moderne landmark ‘Fido’ building at 450 West Georgia was the Colliers Motors Showroom (1948), a Chevrolet-Oldsmobile dealership. More from this Vancouver Heritage 2007 newsletter:
The unique ‘Streamline Moderne’ structure, designed in 1948 by architects Watson & Baxter, deserves sensitive care. One of the earliest examples of the modernizing trend in Vancouver, it is notable for its striking cylindrical sign pylon, stainless steel fascia, horizontal banding, curvilinear surfaces and extensive plate glass.
Before and after photos via flickr.
click on the before link in the quote
http://illustratedvancouver.ca/post/...by-robert-amos

Last edited by retro_orange; May 13, 2017 at 9:45 AM.

Old Posted May 14, 2017, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Glad to see this one public, will be a very interesting one to watch be built with it's circular core and steel construction. Been a while since we've seen a building go up in Vancouver using either of those methods.
I've always wondered if there's a reason why Vancouver rarely gets steel buildings.

Old Posted May 14, 2017, 4:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebby View Post
I've always wondered if there's a reason why Vancouver rarely gets steel buildings.
Might be worth a read:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=145859

Old Posted May 23, 2017, 11:08 PM

In that thread SFU summed it up quite well:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFUVancouver View Post

A large part of the reason for this is that Vancouver is very well supplied by concrete vendors and it has a mature building/forming industry, both of which make for predictable costs and timely construction schedules. A further factor is that all new parking in Vancouver must be below grade and this requires a concrete substructure that is continued above grade for simplicity.
Vancouver is a concrete town. Large format steel construction is not as readily available as concrete and is not sourced from any local sources so it comes at a cost premium.

Old Posted May 23, 2017, 11:25 PM
retro_orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
In that thread SFU summed it up quite well:

Vancouver is a concrete town. Large format steel construction is not as readily available as concrete and is not sourced from any local sources so it comes at a cost premium.
On that note, I'm surprised that considering China has a surfeit of steel lately that there isn't a business case to be made for prefabricating some large scale steel buildings for our local market in China, residential or office. We have a huge port that could accommodate it, and once a building is essentially flat packed it wouldn't take up much space. Also shipping companies like Hanjin could use the business these days.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2017, 6:05 PM

Good news: https://renx.ca/allied-properties-we...-office-tower/

Quote:
Toronto-based Allied Properties Real Estate Investment Trust (AP.UN-T) has reached a deal to buy a half-stake in Westbank’s proposed Japanese lamp-inspired office tower in downtown Vancouver...

The 21,000-square-foot site at 400 West Georgia Street is currently home to a Budget Car rental outlet. In April, high-profile Vancouver developer Westbank Projects submitted a rezoning proposal to construct a 24-storey, 345,000-square-foot office tower to be completed in 2020

Old Posted Aug 20, 2017, 9:55 PM
retro_orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by christmas View Post
Completion in 2020 will be tight, even Dec. 2020 is only 3.3 years away. The site is still operating as a Budget car rental, let alone cleared.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro_orange View Post
Completion in 2020 will be tight, even Dec. 2020 is only 3.3 years away. The site is still operating as a Budget car rental, let alone cleared.
Well, Westbank also announced a completely impossible completion date for Telus Garden (that resulted in a double move for the law firm tenant because of the delays), so I'd treat the claim as spurious at best. It's a marketing and market ploy.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 10:07 PM

Surprised Allied is getting involved in this project. My understanding is that they got their start and grew as a firm that bought & rehabbed character heritage buildings; the "brick and beam" type for which there is nearly insatiable demand in Toronto and Vancouver. They had a few buildings in King East/Corktown in Toronto that I would pass frequently when I lived there.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 11:06 PM

They're partners with Westbank in Calgary on the Telus Sky project there and they also have their own new build in Toronto they are looking to launch.

Their bread and butter is still brick and beam but they have become much more mainstream in their growth program.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 6:05 AM

Found this from the Colliers website:

http://www.collierscanada.com/en/com...7#.WZvLDVGGM2x

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 2:39 PM

Although there is something maybe a bit clunky in the design, I like it overall and think that if executed well, it could turn out great. It has to be one of the most unique office developments going up in the country right now.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver