HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Cardero in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Vancouver Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Aug 20, 2014, 1:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Although this will already be a great addition to the area, I am so excited to see what will eventually replace that small building in the center of Pender and Georgia (behind that tiny green space). That slot warrants a daring landmark building as a gate to Downtown.

>Total agreement. That was going through my mind as well. Exactly as you say.

It will also be nice to see some 40+ floor towers go up on the south side of Georgia Street in the next 5 years. It seems that after Downtown South is now getting built out, Downtown West will be next in line.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
How about that tall stone building that you said was your favourite building that never got built, in "The Way We Weren't" Thread? It's too fine a design to go to waste, and would be great along the south side of Georgia. It's at about 40 floors and very elegant.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2014, 1:43 AM

Considering the depth of the site and how far the bayshore towers were set back from the street, and the fact that there are no towers north of Hastings to be "neighbourly" to, this tower has no reason to be this close to Pender, and will be very prominent even with an additional 10-15m setback.

Also, as with Burrard Gateway and the honeycomb-esque proposal in yaletown, the geometric pattern here is undermined by the cluttered massing.

Also would have preferred at least 10 stories of office, and would hope for the same for the flatiron site, which wants a 450' tower.

Last edited by dleung; Aug 20, 2014 at 1:54 AM.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2014, 4:31 AM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung View Post

...the flatiron site, which wants a 450' tower.
How do you know that?

Old Posted Aug 20, 2014, 5:05 AM

Not sure why people are comparing this to Vancouver house, when the most obvious copycat is going to be 508 Helmcken.

This certainly seems like an upcoming trend.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2014, 5:17 AM
dazzle me

i really like the look of this building (like 100,000x better than anything else in that sterile area) but i worry about how this building would impact the development of the adjacent lot(s) - if this goes commercial then there's no spacing issue. if it's residential, then you'll pretty much see any significant adjacent development precluded. it's a shitty way to run a cbd/near cbd.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2014, 5:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Not sure why people are comparing this to Vancouver house, when the most obvious copycat is going to be 508 Helmcken.
Probably because the honeycomb at Vancouver House provides balconies, like this one, whereas the Helmcken project is just a decorative lattice like Burrard Gateway.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2014, 5:29 AM

Quote:
Considering the depth of the site and how far the bayshore towers were set back from the street, and the fact that there are no towers north of Hastings to be "neighbourly" to, this tower has no reason to be this close to Pender, and will be very prominent even with an additional 10-15m setback.

Also, as with Burrard Gateway and the honeycomb-esque proposal in yaletown, the geometric pattern here is undermined by the cluttered massing.

Also would have preferred at least 10 stories of office, and would hope for the same for the flatiron site, which wants a 450' tower.
Yeah, it's weird how it's right up to the sidewalk.

How would a 450 ft tower fit on the flatiron site?
The Palais Georgia is right behind it - UNLESS - the City stops up Nicola St. and sells the pointy grassy party of the triangle to the developer (?)

Old Posted Aug 20, 2014, 7:46 AM
Website Manager

I wonder how buildings with many protruding geometric pieces will fair in Vancouver's climate. Will they become covered in black streaks and mildew?

Old Posted Aug 20, 2014, 8:57 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Yeah, it's weird how it's right up to the sidewalk.
Aren't the Bayshore towers set back to allow room for the streetcar line in the future? If they are then that could explain why this proposal pushes up so close to the sidewalk.

I think I remember the rails were planned to come down Hastings and then zig-zag to onto Georgia via that block of Cardero. This would give it enough room to make the bend.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2014, 8:57 PM

Here's a screenshot of the part of the site required for the streetcar RoW - there's still plenty of space to shift the tower to the north.

The entire Georgia Street corridor to Stanley Park is a ceremonial street with large setbacks and landscaped courtyards on both the north and south sides - and that extends east past Cardero, with The Lions and Residences on Georgia having landscaped areas between their towers on the south side, and The Pointe and Venus having open space on the north side. Trump and Shangri-La also have open space fronting Georgia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Leblanc View Post
I wonder how buildings with many protruding geometric pieces will fair in Vancouver's climate. Will they become covered in black streaks and mildew?
Or encourage leaks at window wall joints?

Old Posted Aug 20, 2014, 9:30 PM

It you look at the line of the canopy there really isnt a lot of room to shift north, maybe 2 or so metres.

Also having more distance from the retail front door to the Streetcar ROW is desirable from both a practical point of view and a safety standpoint.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2014, 10:13 PM

Here's the Level 5 plan showing the tower relative to the podium. The tower can be shifted while leaving the podium where it is.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2014, 10:32 PM

What to do with all that closet space. The options are finite!

Old Posted Aug 20, 2014, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Here's the Level 5 plan showing the tower relative to the podium. The tower can be shifted while leaving the podium where it is.
Hmm good point, I wonder if they were concerned about additional shadowing on the park just to the north.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2014, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Hmm good point, I wonder if they were concerned about additional shadowing on the park just to the north.
One of the shadow studies showed concern over shadows on a tiny children's playground in one of the condo courtyards to the north.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2014, 11:55 PM

Quote:
One of the shadow studies showed concern over shadows on a tiny children's playground in one of the condo courtyards to the north.
Come on, can that really be a consideration point in this city?

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 12:13 AM

ya that's the one I was talking about, and of course it is!

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 3:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Leblanc View Post
Very much a possibility, IMO. Building owners will have to be proactive about cleaning all that if they want to keep their buildings fresh-looking.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 6:31 PM

Esp. from pigeon poo.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 12:29 AM
More Towers

It will be interesting to see how 725 Granville fairs against the pigeon poo.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver