HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 11:51 PM
video et taceo

Yeah but... no.

I am in Copenhagen right now, and I spent some time down on Amagertorv today. It is a fully pedestrian experience, immaculate, busy and lively and well-appointed.

It's a great spot, but it's not Kensington Market. Kensington's character is intertwined with its rough, improbable form. Its essence is kind of like a weed growing through sidewalk cracks. It has a shaggy and defiant spirit.

I don't think this is an "autocentrism so complete that we are as fish unable to describe water" thing. You could pedestrianize Kensington, but cars are a part of its clutter, so by doing so you'd be removing visual and spatial complexity, and that's a large part of its appeal. Same with the wires.

(You might be able to pedestrianize if you put bike lanes in the centre and ran like a mini-tram on Augusta and allowed market stalls... point is, you need to add if you're going to subtract...)

The elements of orthodox urbanism have been ignored for too long, but I wouldn't like to see them roar back in an overly doctrinaire fashion. Kensington is not just an unfortunately messy clot of venues. Its form is tied in with its nature.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 1:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Mtl View Post
The Ville de Montréal Launches Playful Furniture Design Competition

The Ville de Montréal’s Bureau du design has allocated a $1.3 million budget for a multidisciplinary design competition to embellish the future Esplanade Clark with playful urban furniture.

“The design competition will allow us to select a playful movable furniture project that will supplement the conventional furniture on Esplanade Clark. In particular, we want to set up a carousel and fountains to delight people of all ages. Their installation will give this new public space a festive allure, inviting people to relax, cool off and have fun, in the shadow of the large urban towers,” says Magda Popeanu, Vice-president of the executive committee, responsible for culture and Montéal’s diversity.

The competition’s budget also considers the design and manufacture of the playful furniture collection, which will be delivered in fall 2020.

A jury made up of representatives of the Quartier des Spectacles Partnership, the design world, and the Ville de Montréal will select the winning concept in fall 2019.

The future Esplanade Clark is the last phase of the Quartier des spectacles major project, the Place des Arts hub. Esplanade Clark is situated in the Quartier des spectacles, west of Clark, between Sainte-Catherine and de Montigny.

The new multifunctional pavilion will include an outdoor refrigerated skating rink during winter, which will be converted into a lively urban patio in summer to host activities and concerts.

This competition further requires the Coordinator to be present in Montréal during completion of the project.

It is also held in two major stages: the first based on anonymous proposals and a second in which a maximum of four finalists, selected by the jury during the first stage, will submit a service offering.

The playful furniture collection’s configuration will evolve through the seasons and provide opportunities for interaction, movement, strolling, and rest.
Montreal leading the way once again.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 3:19 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
I vehemently disagree. What makes Kensington, are the shops there. A Kensington market with no hydro poles, fully pedestrianized streets with nice pavers and proper street benches would be even busier than it is today.
It would feel sterile to me. And that would be a shame.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 9:17 AM

if people think Toronto is ugly and third world looking they must think Tokyo is awful

Tokyo May 2019 by snub_you, on Flickr

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 11:47 AM

Most of Tokyo's major streets have wide sidewalks and no overhead wires. Not so in Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Europe was entirely rebuilt.
No it wasn't. There are countless European cities, big and small, that weren't touched by the war and still have no overhead wires. It's not about the age of the city, it's about the choices the people of the city make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
It would feel sterile to me. And that would be a shame.
Using the same logic, do you conclude that every neighbourhood in Europe is sterile? Burying hydro wires and using nice paving materials does not sterilize a street. A fully pedestrianised Kensington Market with no overhead wires and a decent standard of paving and street furniture wouldn't be sterile. It would be even more vibrant than it is today. Typically though, these discussions involve major streets like Queen or Dundas, which would benefit greatly from an improved public realm.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 1:23 PM
sick transit, gloria

Kensington isn't a European pedestrianized high street / shopping district. It developed organically in a unique way that led to it's current form in the context of Toronto's vernacular. It probably has more in common with the Tokyo side streets filled with wires than the main thoroughfares. Originally residential, businesses filling in over time, cars have access but it's a pain to drive in, etc.

As it is there's already significant pressure on original businesses with landlords wanting to jack up the rent, etc. Also should be noted that many of these establishments are food distributors and require frequent truck access (plus smaller bar/restaurants have stuff delivered almost daily). A beautification / pedestrianization program would only accelerate this, I think. Sure you may end up with a busy pedestrian area, just lacking all of the eclectic charm today. You wouldn't be eating jerk chicken in the street unless it's a "contemporary interpretation". Go at it in Yorkville or the St. Lawrence area - these are areas more analogous to those pedestrianized Euro ones and would benefit much more. I'd support another shot at a pedestrianized Yonge, too. Current urban planning thoughts can focus too much on how to "fix" areas with programmatic ideals, which can be fine in certain instances, but not everything needs to be "fixed" to conform with current thoughts about what an area "should" look like.

I should note that the Pedestrian Sundays (last Sunday of every Spring/Summer/Fall month) program is quite successful, but I suspect because it's an event that attracts other uses into the street that would not be there daily. Although I know a few business owners who loathe those days - they don't make any more money but have to deal with more people acting like idiots.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 1:36 PM
Explorateur urbain

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
if people think Toronto is ugly and third world looking they must think Tokyo is awful

Tokyo May 2019 by snub_you, on Flickr
Honestly, a street like this looks lively, but ugly.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 5:35 PM
video et taceo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister F View Post
Using the same logic, do you conclude that every neighbourhood in Europe is sterile?

Europe is a big place. Cities like Belgrade, Sofia and Tirana don't always bury their lines. Cities like Naples and Athens have other things going on that might qualify as messy urbanism, like clotheslines and whatever. Places like this almost appear like 'super-Kensingtons':

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8498...7i13312!8i6656

But I'm just being difficult. I know what you mean. Nineteenth-century western European streetscapes. And while they're not sterile, there are a few things going on here...

First, there's nothing like Kensington in a lot of these cities. Kensington's clutter and disorder level is high. Second, though, you have to look at the other elements. Kensington's buildings are low and modest, if tightly-packed. The effect is kind of Columbus-turned-Jakarta. It's a powerful visual narrative that hints at the history of a modest Commonwealth industrial city gone supernova.

In cities like Copenhagen or Stockholm (or Amsterdam or Brussels or Hamburg etc), no central neighbourhood would feature such modest buildings. That tradition is totally Anglo, totally alien. In Copenhagen, for instance, there is a somewhat ratty and lively street called Istedgade that goes through Vesterbro from the Central Station. It's not totally analogous to Kensington, but it's a varied and lively place with everything from boutique hotels and cocktail bars to brothels and open-air drug sales.

It's not sterile, but it's not as crazily layered as Kensington. It doesn't have to be, though, because it's so much more substantial from a built perspective. This is a five-storey street whose sidestreets are 19th-century worker tenements of the same height. European streets have a totally different feel because of this scale.

You bring Kensington to Copenhagen levels of planning, and you don't get Copenhagen. You do lose that weird Anglo-Jakarta thing, though. I think it's a very fragile place, actually.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 7:17 PM
sick transit, gloria

Reading through urbantoronto I've noticed a thing that when new developments in the Kensington area pop up (most of which seem appropriately scaled, thankfully), there's comments about how "sketchy" or "rundown" the area is. I feel like there's a faction that would support the area turning into a high end, polished shopping district. Maybe another example of Canadians failing to realize and support the unique things we have, for the shiny veneer of world class (or whatever you want to call it). Part of our directionless current-state.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
Kensington isn't a European pedestrianized high street / shopping district. It developed organically in a unique way that led to it's current form in the context of Toronto's vernacular. It probably has more in common with the Tokyo side streets filled with wires than the main thoroughfares. Originally residential, businesses filling in over time, cars have access but it's a pain to drive in, etc.
Kensington is no more organic than loads of European commercial areas. They have plenty of out of the way districts that started out residential and gradually had businesses move in over time. The only difference is that they tend to have a higher standard for their infrastructure while still retaining their uniqueness.

Kensington also has a lot in common with Melbourne's alleys, except that Melbourne's alleys have nicer paving and little to no overhead wires. Would Hardware Lane in Melbourne benefit from adding wooden hydro poles and replacing the brick with asphalt? It is, after all, lined with restaurants that no doubt rely on daily deliveries (which can happen just as effectively in pedestrianized areas).

Quote:
As it is there's already significant pressure on original businesses with landlords wanting to jack up the rent, etc. Also should be noted that many of these establishments are food distributors and require frequent truck access (plus smaller bar/restaurants have stuff delivered almost daily). A beautification / pedestrianization program would only accelerate this, I think. Sure you may end up with a busy pedestrian area, just lacking all of the eclectic charm today. You wouldn't be eating jerk chicken in the street unless it's a "contemporary interpretation". Go at it in Yorkville or the St. Lawrence area - these are areas more analogous to those pedestrianized Euro ones and would benefit much more. I'd support another shot at a pedestrianized Yonge, too. Current urban planning thoughts can focus too much on how to "fix" areas with programmatic ideals, which can be fine in certain instances, but not everything needs to be "fixed" to conform with current thoughts about what an area "should" look like.

I should note that the Pedestrian Sundays (last Sunday of every Spring/Summer/Fall month) program is quite successful, but I suspect because it's an event that attracts other uses into the street that would not be there daily. Although I know a few business owners who loathe those days - they don't make any more money but have to deal with more people acting like idiots.
Instead of thinking of it as beautification, think of it as having a bare minimum in aesthetic standards (buried hydro wires, brick/unit pavers, etc.). Think of it as making sidewalks wide enough to handle the demand. These things have absolutely nothing to do with jacking up rent or driving out uniqueness. This bizarrely Torontonian belief keeps getting repeated would be positively alien anywhere else. Improving the streetscape won't result in the loss of the jerk chicken place, and keeping it the way it is won't ensure that it stays put. Just look at how much Queen West gentrified despite its ramshackle appearance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
Europe is a big place. Cities like Belgrade, Sofia and Tirana don't always bury their lines. Cities like Naples and Athens have other things going on that might qualify as messy urbanism, like clotheslines and whatever. Places like this almost appear like 'super-Kensingtons':
lol! Your examples are some of the poorest countries in Eastern Europe?? I don't even know what to say. Belgrade, Sofia and Tirana look the way they do not because they want to, but because they're poor. If they had the wealth to look like Western Europe, they would. A resident of Albania would look at our rusty staple covered hydro poles and wonder what we're doing with our fabulous wealth.

Athens and Naples are richer for sure (still poorer than us though), but both of them still have a consistently higher standard of streetscaping than most Toronto commercial areas. They have better paving materials, very few overhead wires, decorative street furniture, etc. The other things going on that you mention are more because of private development - like you said, clotheslines and whatever. That's a whole different matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
In cities like Copenhagen or Stockholm (or Amsterdam or Brussels or Hamburg etc), no central neighbourhood would feature such modest buildings. That tradition is totally Anglo, totally alien.
Modest architecture is a reason to have better streetscaping, not worse. Look at those lanes in Melbourne again. It ain't Copenhagen, but it doesn't have to be. Hell, half the lane I linked to is lined with an ugly parking garage, but they don't use that as an excuse to make it look bad. Brick pavement, decorative bollards, car access allowed but discouraged, no overhead wires, etc. There's no reason that Kensington couldn't look that good without losing its charm. Or any other main street for that matter.

Quote:
Reading through urbantoronto I've noticed a thing that when new developments in the Kensington area pop up (most of which seem appropriately scaled, thankfully), there's comments about how "sketchy" or "rundown" the area is. I feel like there's a faction that would support the area turning into a high end, polished shopping district. Maybe another example of Canadians failing to realize and support the unique things we have, for the shiny veneer of world class (or whatever you want to call it). Part of our directionless current-state.
I disagree. It's an example of Canadians failing to realize that there's a better way and falling for the false choice you're presenting. A neighbourhood doesn't have to look like a frontier town to avoid becoming polished. We don't have to choose between ramshackle and sterile. We don't have to have ugly streetscapes to maintain uniqueness.

Last edited by Mister F; Aug 30, 2019 at 11:24 PM.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2019, 12:01 AM
Volatile Pacivist

I do think that burying the wires and gussying up the streetscape would fundamentally alter the character of the name. Whether or not that's a good thing i haven't decided.

Last edited by Nouvellecosse; Aug 31, 2019 at 2:17 AM.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2019, 1:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by begratto View Post
Honestly, a street like this looks lively, but ugly.

Yes most of Tokyo is visually ugly. The Toronto examples are said to be ugly. But they work.

In Tokyo people don't really hang out or go to places on the wide upgraded streets. All the action and good places are on the side streets.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2019, 3:33 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Using the same logic, do you conclude that every neighbourhood in Europe is sterile? Burying hydro wires and using nice paving materials does not sterilize a street. A fully pedestrianised Kensington Market with no overhead wires and a decent standard of paving and street furniture wouldn't be sterile. It would be even more vibrant than it is today. Typically though, these discussions involve major streets like Queen or Dundas, which would benefit greatly from an improved public realm.
I was talking about Kensington only, the way I know it now, and the way I'd feel if those things were done.

You disagree and that's fine.

But don't use my observation to try and expand your argument. I haven't even been to Europe so I can't personally say whether my "logic" would lead to any kind of conclusion.

Last edited by ScreamingViking; Aug 31, 2019 at 3:46 AM.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2019, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
I was talking about Kensington only, the way I know it now, and the way I'd feel if those things were done.

You disagree and that's fine.

But don't use my observation to try and expand your argument. I haven't even been to Europe so I can't personally say whether my "logic" would lead to any kind of conclusion.
Fair enough. I'm just countering the idea that a higher standard of street design sterilizes interesting neighbourhoods. And showing that there are countless dynamic neighbourhoods with nice streetscaping. The narrative seems to be that you can have an eclectic, charming area or an upgraded public realm, but not both. I'm saying we can have both.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2019, 5:06 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Fair enough. I'm just countering the idea that a higher standard of street design sterilizes interesting neighbourhoods. And showing that there are countless dynamic neighbourhoods with nice streetscaping. The narrative seems to be that you can have an eclectic, charming area or an upgraded public realm, but not both. I'm saying we can have both.
But you do concede that the current aesthetic is somewhat unique? And that you can't have the specific unique aesthetic created by Kensington's current combination of elements (which some people seem to appreciate) if you were to change fundamental parts of it? If someone likes the aesthetic of vibrant eclectic areas in general but doesn't like Kensington's specific combination, then changing it would make things better. But if you like the current aesthetic and appreciate its uniqueness then changing it would not be an improvement.

Personally, I don't love the aesthetic but I always appreciate uniqueness. If everything were the same except the buildings converted warehouses or tenements then I'd enjoy the aesthetic more, but it would be less unique. If it just had buried wires and upgraded streetscaping... I dunno; I'd have to see it I guess.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2019, 10:22 PM

Old Posted Sep 1, 2019, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
But you do concede that the current aesthetic is somewhat unique? And that you can't have the specific unique aesthetic created by Kensington's current combination of elements (which some people seem to appreciate) if you were to change fundamental parts of it? If someone likes the aesthetic of vibrant eclectic areas in general but doesn't like Kensington's specific combination, then changing it would make things better. But if you like the current aesthetic and appreciate its uniqueness then changing it would not be an improvement.

Personally, I don't love the aesthetic but I always appreciate uniqueness. If everything were the same except the buildings converted warehouses or tenements then I'd enjoy the aesthetic more, but it would be less unique. If it just had buried wires and upgraded streetscaping... I dunno; I'd have to see it I guess.
Yeah it's unique, but what I've been arguing is that upgrading the streetscape wouldn't make the area lose that quality. Unless of course you're referring to the uniqueness of the public realm itself - the hydro poles, narrow concrete sidewalks, etc. But those things are unique in the same way as a dirt road. Most vibrant (and unique) neighbourhoods have better.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2019, 3:20 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Based on the other responses I think those things are definitely a part of what some people appreciate. Kind of like the whole "shabby chic" trend from a decade or two ago when people would find things that were old and weathered such as a table or chest of drawers at a flea market or yard sale and rather than sand and paint it making it objectively "nicer" they'd embrace the nicks, dents and scratches as forms of character as part of the patina of age. Some people really enjoy the sense that something developed totally organically and spontaneously and has an interesting history. Particularly when everything around them are new and shiny and everything is disposable.

Just to clarify, when you say, "those things are unique in the same way as a dirt road. Most vibrant (and unique) neighbourhoods have better."

Are you saying that it's invalid for people to appreciate those things aesthetically? Or just that you don't share that preference?

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 3:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
Based on the other responses I think those things are definitely a part of what some people appreciate. Kind of like the whole "shabby chic" trend from a decade or two ago when people would find things that were old and weathered such as a table or chest of drawers at a flea market or yard sale and rather than sand and paint it making it objectively "nicer" they'd embrace the nicks, dents and scratches as forms of character as part of the patina of age. Some people really enjoy the sense that something developed totally organically and spontaneously and has an interesting history. Particularly when everything around them are new and shiny and everything is disposable.

Just to clarify, when you say, "those things are unique in the same way as a dirt road. Most vibrant (and unique) neighbourhoods have better."

Are you saying that it's invalid for people to appreciate those things aesthetically? Or just that you don't share that preference?
Of course not, I'm not sure how an opinion about aesthetics can be invalid. However, the assertion that improving the streetscape will make the neighbourhood less vibrant, drive out the jerk chicken places, etc. is invalid. Eclectic charm and a good looking streetscape aren't conflicting goals. We only think in this way in Canada because we're so used to low standards.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 5:47 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Mtl View Post
Murray street make-over in Griffintown almost done.

What a beautiful waste. Not the street itself but the wasted opportunity of the buildings along it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada