HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Feb 21, 2010, 3:02 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Hmm, I think it might be similar to the Dallas v. Houston arguments that pop up every once an awhile.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2010, 4:50 AM

All for naught because in another 20 or 30 years, San Antonio and Austin are going to be twin cities. If they aren't already...

Old Posted Feb 21, 2010, 4:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Yeah, my aunt and uncle actually attended the World's Fair in San Antonio. I also have some old family photos, with a shot of my uncle's car with a 1968 license plate. They actually commemorated the World's Fair that year on the license plate. Man, I wish I could get my hands on one of those.

Here's what they looked like.
http://hubpages.com/hub/HemisFair-68

That's cool man

Old Posted Feb 21, 2010, 4:55 PM

Sunday's Real Estate section was packed.
From the real estate section of mySA.com

Quote:
Livin' la vida downtown

By Creighton Welch - Special to the Express-News

Ken Hack concedes that he didn’t cozy up to the idea of living downtown right away. He enjoyed his 5-acre Hill Country property with views and access to Medina Lake.

But after his wife Cindi listed all the perks — and secretly sold the family boat — he was convinced and made the move, first to the Judson’s Candy Factory Lofts and most recently to the Vidorra condos.

“For us, things are so much simpler and stress free,” Ken said. “We have so much more time together now. That time has allowed us enjoy so many things San Antonio has to offer that we would of never be able to do at the lake.”

While still in the early stages of popularity compared to major metropolitan cities, living downtown is drawing in more and more people who are lured by what the lifestyle has to offer.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/business...wn_living.html
a couple more about center city:
Dignowity Hill a neighborhood of friends, conveniences
Downtown is key to development

and also kinda late on this, but this came from the DTblog:

Quote:
Big plans for Jerry's Chicago-Style Hot Dogs (including late-night hours!!)

The proprietor of Jerry's Chicago-Style Hot Dogs, 149 E. Commerce St., is committed to staying downtown and he has the plans to prove it.

Jerry Cahue and his wife Maria confirmed yesterday that they are expanding by leasing the next door space as a dining area.

The space is about a month away from completion, but Maria said they want to open it ASAP because of the rent. If you've been to Jerry's, you know the expansion is a huge improvement for a place that currently seats about four. It was normal for folks to order, then wait for the grub on the sidewalk.

http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblog...chicago-s.html
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted Feb 21, 2010, 8:14 PM
Closed account

Location: Chicago(Palatine), San Antonio(78208), Piedras Negras, Mexico
Talking It's about bragging rights! Comprende?

Ok Kevin From Texas, you think that your the only one with accuracy on this forum, well here you go. According to Wikipedia.com here ARE the building heights:

Building heights:

750 ft (229 m) to top of the antenna.
622 ft (190 m) to top of roof.
579 ft (176 m) to indoor observation deck.
560 ft (170 m) to outdoor observation deck.
550 ft (168 m) to restaurant and stationary level.

The tower was the tallest observation tower in the United States from 1968 until 1996, when the Las Vegas Stratosphere Tower was completed.

It is still the 2nd tallest freestanding and oservation tower in the United States and the tallest freestanding and observation tower in the State of Texas. It is ahead of the Space Needle in Seattle which is 605 feet, but it is behind the Stratosphere in Las Vegas which comes in at 1149 feet tall.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2010, 8:59 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
You're arguing with an administrator and using wikipedia to back yourself up?

Old Posted Feb 21, 2010, 11:22 PM

I don't know why your arguing about building heights? I think he knew Tower of Americas was the tallest observation tower in the US before the one in Vegas was built I knew that and I didn't need to look it up wikipedia to figure that out.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2010, 1:02 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanshirt View Post
Its not your fault that even though Austin has three buildings of 40+ stories (SA has none), the catchy slogan, the top tier university, the lower unemployment and higher population growth, the commuter rail (is that working yet, btw?), higher per capita wealth, and basically everything else going for it, some Austin forumers still feel the need to rush over here and defend their poor city against any perceived slight or put-down by one of us mean, front-running SA forumers
Hey, when you see someone in the Austin section making negative comments about San Antonio, feel free to put in your two cents. In reality though, San Antonio is rarely brought up in our forum, but when it is it's usually in a positive light.

And I will stand up against any comments I disagree with, regardless of whether it's about Austin or not. As a matter of fact, in the last month I have tried to persuade people that San Antonio doesn't have the worst skyline in a thread here on SSP.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...25&postcount=5

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...&postcount=238

Old Posted Feb 22, 2010, 2:14 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by max777 View Post
Ok Kevin From Texas, you think that your the only one with accuracy on this forum, well here you go. According to Wikipedia.com here ARE the building heights:

Building heights:

750 ft (229 m) to top of the antenna.
622 ft (190 m) to top of roof.
579 ft (176 m) to indoor observation deck.
560 ft (170 m) to outdoor observation deck.
550 ft (168 m) to restaurant and stationary level.

The tower was the tallest observation tower in the United States from 1968 until 1996, when the Las Vegas Stratosphere Tower was completed.

It is still the 2nd tallest freestanding and oservation tower in the United States and the tallest freestanding and observation tower in the State of Texas. It is ahead of the Space Needle in Seattle which is 605 feet, but it is behind the Stratosphere in Las Vegas which comes in at 1149 feet tall.
Thanks, I'm the one that found those heights for the Tower of the Americas. I'm sure they copied them from Emporis.com (where I'm an editor for San Antonio).

And I can agree that it's a better use of words to call the Tower of the Americas an observation tower. That's really what it is. And oh yes, I'm quite familiar with it being the 2nd tallest observation tower in the US, and formerly the tallest. I think sometimes people here underestimate how much I love and respect San Antonio. It was the first "tall" skyline I ever saw, and I still see it in a special kind of way that I doubt will ever change.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2010, 4:12 PM
Bears of antiquity

It's great that people still brag about the TotA being taller than the Space Needle. The tallest observation deck in Seattle is actually at about 880'

Old Posted Feb 22, 2010, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottolini View Post
Hey, when you see someone in the Austin section making negative comments about San Antonio, feel free to put in your two cents. In reality though, San Antonio is rarely brought up in our forum, but when it is it's usually in a positive light.

And I will stand up against any comments I disagree with, regardless of whether it's about Austin or not. As a matter of fact, in the last month I have tried to persuade people that San Antonio doesn't have the worst skyline in a thread here on SSP.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...25&postcount=5

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...&postcount=238
But that's the thing, I don't really care what people on the Austin forum say about SA, because they're entitled to their opinion, however biased, flawed, or uninformed I think it might be. I'm certainly not about to go digging up pictures and posting links just to combat an off-handed comment. Its simply not worth my time.

Last edited by oldmanshirt; Feb 22, 2010 at 5:02 PM.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2010, 4:24 PM

I think what Kevin is trying to say is that he's going to correct you when you're wrong. People are entitled to their own opinions. They are not, however, entitled to their own facts.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2010, 6:16 PM
Meh

^Bingo. If someone thinks the Tower of the Americas is the most beautiful structure in Texas, that's fine with me. Just don't say it's the tallest. Heck, it's my favorite observation tower too. And while I've heard/read some people saying it's ugly and plain, I've always liked it and thought is even beautiful. The enhanced lighting they've done on it really shows how nice looking it actually is. Besides, you can't beat the view. I really think the view from the ToA is at least one of the best views in North America from an observation tower. I would hold off on saying it's the best though, I mean you can see a volcano from Seattle's and Toronto's is more than a quarter of mile off the ground. Still though, that's good company.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2010, 6:36 PM
Bears of antiquity

Numerous volcanoes, since we're talking about facts

It's like a panoramic view of doom.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2010, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjon View Post
Numerous volcanoes, since we're talking about facts

It's like a panoramic view of doom.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2010, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjon View Post
It's great that people still brag about the TotA being taller than the Space Needle. The tallest observation deck in Seattle is actually at about 880'

Where's the other observation deck in Seattle?

Old Posted Feb 22, 2010, 7:59 PM

Quote:
^Bingo. If someone thinks the Tower of the Americas is the most beautiful structure in Texas, that's fine with me. Just don't say it's the tallest. Heck, it's my favorite observation tower too. And while I've heard/read some people saying it's ugly and plain, I've always liked it and thought is even beautiful. The enhanced lighting they've done on it really shows how nice looking it actually is. Besides, you can't beat the view. I really think the view from the ToA is at least one of the best views in North America from an observation tower. I would hold off on saying it's the best though, I mean you can see a volcano from Seattle's and Toronto's is more than a quarter of mile off the ground. Still though, that's good company.

They all look better than the Sunsphere in Knoxville lol

Old Posted Feb 22, 2010, 8:13 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartyLine View Post
Where's the other observation deck in Seattle?
Columbia Center. It's a building though. 937 feet tall with 76 floors.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2010, 9:33 PM
Bears of antiquity

Quote:
Columbia Center. It's a building though. 937 feet tall with 76 floors.
The third highest observation deck is in the Smith Tower and the fourth highest is the Volunteer Park Water Tower.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2010, 9:35 PM

How many floors does that new HYATT have?

It kinda look short on the pictures, or is it only in the picture?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio