HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy View Post
The developer for 9th/Fig is “Regalian”. Have they built anything before? If not, I see this as speculative, but would like to be surprised.
Nope, as far as I know, they were founded for this tower specifically, which strikes me as suspicious. That said the architect is Callison RTKL, which has done a wide range of projects of varying scales, including in LA, so that gives me hope.

As for Luxe, I assumed it was dead before the whole scandal, after that, I am basically certain it is dead. That lot is an important connector for South Park, but I wasn't a huge fan of the project and there are other empty lots that I find more problematic, so it's not the end of the world.

On the flip side though, what's the status of 520 Mateo? That project was such a game changer.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 6:22 PM

520 San Mateo's developer got caught up in that scandal and now it's on hold unfortunately.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 6:31 PM

Ugh. I knew they were involved, but I wasn't sure if the project got stalled or not. What are the odds of it starting back up?

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 6:33 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Nope, as far as I know, they were founded for this tower specifically, which strikes me as suspicious. That said the architect is Callison RTKL, which has done a wide range of projects of varying scales, including in LA, so that gives me hope.
I can't find anything on them either. I assume because of that, that project is also a no-go.

Can a really tall project be proposed in LA that isn't shady or illegitimate? Here's to hoping that someday that'll happen

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 4:31 AM

Quote:
Not sure if serious. This is a skyscraper forum!

I agree that it’s likely dead, although the Lakers did just win a title. IIRC the head of the company building it is a huge Lakers fan.
Hey a lot of people approved of the two tower watered down version because it was "taller and more realistic" i remember people saying. I surely preferred the weird citigroup inspired towers of the original proposal hahaha and obviously that it came with 3 instead of 2 towers was a huge plus for me.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 2:05 PM

A 13 story office building is planned by Skanska in the Arts District. Skanska is the company that built Expo phase 2 and is building the D line phase 1 extension. They already broke ground on a smaller office building on Wilshire in Beverly Hills.

https://www.globalconstructionreview...heme-los-ange/

Skanska has also acquired a second commercial development site in LA, a 76,727-square-foot plot at 1811-1815 Sacramento Street, where it plans to build a 13-storey commercial building.

Construction is expected to begin in 2023 and completed in late 2025.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 2:12 PM

In other downtown news, CBRE is moving it's corporate headquarters to Dallas. The move isn't expected to significantly impact the LA workforce. Was this the last Fortune 500 with headquarters downtown? There used to be a dozen or so.

https://www.latimes.com/business/sto...eles-to-dallas

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 2:55 AM

Quote:
In other downtown news, CBRE is moving it's corporate headquarters to Dallas. The move isn't expected to significantly impact the LA workforce. Was this the last Fortune 500 with headquarters downtown? There used to be a dozen or so.

https://www.latimes.com/business/sto...eles-to-dallas
Booooooo

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 5:25 PM

We shouldn't be surprised by this. Lots of companies (and human beings) are moving from California to Texas (and Nevada and Arizona). It's just a more business friendly place. And has a lower cost of living.

*Send PM for updates/edits/corrections*

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 6:03 PM

They said it doesn't have layoffs here so eh. It's not that important imo.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 6:10 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaFC View Post
We shouldn't be surprised by this. Lots of companies (and human beings) are moving from California to Texas (and Nevada and Arizona). It's just a more business friendly place. And has a lower cost of living.
Even worse for LA, being that it has no anchor for human capital that justifies companies staying here, unlike SF or Seattle, where their tech-university-research complex serves as a buffer against extensive brain-drainage.
Since its economic peak in the 80s when its economy was heavily aerospace and S&L dependent, LA has gotten comparatively poorer and poorer vs its peers.

Today, LA plays third or fourth fiddle in all the leading industries of our time: tech, biotech, finance, and LA is effectively a gigantic "regional headquarters" for first-tier economies like SF, NY, Sea, Houston, cities where global decisions are made by
high-level decisionmakers (and talent), serving as a magnet for more talent. The only industry in which LA operates at the highest-level is logistics via the port complex, which is not talent-generating or high-income. And please don't mention hollywood - LAs showbiz is worth less in aggregate than the revenue of John Deere. I's depressing to hear someone appeal to "importance" of hollywood, because it only serves to highlight the truth of what I am saying above.

The problem with lumping exoduses from LA with SF under the umbrella of "California", is that it excuses LAs challenges by using SFs strengths. But SF can stand to lose an F100 company, because it has no shortage of educated, skilled labor at the myriad of others HQ'd there. By contrast, each time LA loses an F100, it loses like 15% of its skilled labor.

Last edited by Bikemike; Nov 3, 2020 at 6:27 PM.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 6:11 PM

Yeah, people are leaving California:

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post

At least that's one curve that CA has managed to flatten!

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikemike View Post
Even worse for LA, being that it has no anchor for human capital that justifies companies staying here, unlike SF or Seattle, where their tech-university-research complex serves as a buffer against extensive brain-drainage.

Since its economic peak in the 80s when its economy was heavily aerospace and S&L dependent, LA has gotten comparatively poorer and poorer vs its peers.

Today, LA plays third or fourth fiddle in all the leading industries of our time: tech, biotech, finance, and LA is effectively a gigantic "regional headquarters" for first-tier economies like SF, NY, Sea, Houston, cities where global decisions are made by

high-level decisionmakers (and talent), serving as a magnet for more talent. The only industry in which LA operates at the highest-level is logistics via the port complex. And please don't mention hollywood - LAs showbiz is worth less in

aggregate
than the revenue of John Deere. I's depressing to hear someone appeal to "importance" of hollywood, because it only highlights the truth of what I am saying above.
Eh, I'll take Hollywood over the Oil industry. People from all the world still flock to Hollywood and it's responsible for America's greatest export.
Oil....pft.

LA's by far the creative hub of the entire planet and it shows up all over the city. I dont put that much stock into company headquarters. Lets put it this way,
Dallas and Houston would trade their corporate relocations/culture for Hollywood/entertainment in a nanosecond.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 6:38 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
Eh, I'll take Hollywood over the Oil industry. People from all the world still flock to Hollywood and it's responsible for America's greatest export.
Oil....pft.

LA's by far the creative hub of the entire planet and it shows up all over the city. I dont put that much stock into company headquarters. Lets put it this way,
Dallas and Houston would trade their corporate relocations/culture for Hollywood/entertainment in a nanosecond.

Big oil sucks, but my point isn't to to push this false-choice narrative, but rather, to highlight that LA has lost its position as an economic leader in ANY industry of consequence.

To repeat: Hollywood in aggregate < John Deere. The fact that hollywood is so prized by any proponent of LA's economy only highlights the sad state of LA's pecking order.

Also, to downplay headquarters is to downplay the number of high quality employees that headquarters (and other high level white-collar operations) provide a region. LA falls glaringly short in the number of people who "have a say" in how things turn out. This shortcoming in the "people of consequence" is reflected in LA's culture - it doesn't feel like a city with a multitude of interesting, extremely special, or trend-setting (in a more substantive sense) people, and this shows up in its (lack of) leadership among global cities

The consequence of this lack of "leadership culture" in LA has led it to become a complete follower of urban, environmental, social, and technological trends; LA waits for others urban centers to take bold action on things before deciding that it's safe to "pilot" such ideas 10 years later, and at miniscule scale, because it is now a "trend". LA's global peers are not London, SF, or NY, except for its size. Diamondpark's tax liability thread drives the point home.

Last edited by Bikemike; Nov 3, 2020 at 6:48 PM.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 6:48 PM

Did you say LA doesn't feel like it doesn't have special or trend setting people?
Lol
Melrose ave alone likely beats most cities for that.

I'm from DC. Its the most corporate, office drone place I've ever seen. Sure it looks good on paper but that is the most miserable metro I've spent alot of time in. Nobody seems unique, just the most boring people ever. Basic, you could say..
But they have more headquarters. Meh. It only looks good on paper man..

How does Hollywood not have any consequence?
Its America's top export and entertains the frigging world. Its the reason why American culture matters.
Post covid, it shows how important it really is.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post

LOL. A chart of the United States and global population would show the same thing. We're talking about skilled labor here.

*Send PM for updates/edits/corrections*

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 6:56 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
Did you say LA doesn't feel like it doesn't have special or trend setting people?
Lol
Melrose ave alone likely beats most cities for that.

I'm from DC. Its the most corporate, office drone place I've ever seen. Sure it looks good on paper but that is the most miserable metro I've spent alot of time in.
You bring up a good but flawed point. DC is “special”, it’s economy is essentially an extension of the government so economic survival does not require economic creativity. Talent is technocratic, and bureaucratic as a result. Corporate culture does not need to translate there because talent is already spoken for by government contracts.

LA on the other hand, has no such fortune.

PS: reread my post. Trendsetting does not refer to the density of Buffalo exchanges on Mel rose, but rather, urban trends (urbanism, mobility, environment) - concepts that tend require a robust educated URBAN populace to understand, value, and actual use. LA lacks this, and for this reason, it took several decades longer than it should have to “wake up” at the ballot box, so to speak. These issues (urbanism, etc) are trends that gained widespread acceptance in more advanced economies much earlier than LA, wherein progress is much more REACTIVE than executors or proactive.

I believe that this is cultural.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 7:02 PM

Quote:
You bring up a good but flawed point. DC is “special”, it’s economy is essentially an extension of the government so economic survival does not require economic creativity. Talent is technocratic, and bureaucratic as a result. Corporate culture does not need to translate there because talent is already spoken for by government contracts.

I'm just talking the people. They're the complete opposite of la's energetic and creative population. To say thats not special because you don't respect the industry (or creatives) is dishonest.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 7:05 PM

Quote:

PS: reread my post. Trendsetting does not refer to the density of Buffalo exchanges on Mel rose, but rather, urban trends (urbanism, mobility, environment) - concepts that tend require a robust educated URBAN populace to understand, value, and actual use. LA lacks this, and for this reason, it took several decades longer than it should have to “wake up” at the ballot box, so to speak. These issues (urbanism, etc) are trends that gained widespread acceptance in more advanced economies much earlier than LA, wherein progress is much more REACTIVE than executors or proactive.

I believe that this is cultural.
Trendsetting is not just about urban development trends either. That's not what most people think of with that term.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations