HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 1:37 AM

Up by Nissan and the new Hanpton inn, there is another foundation being laid out. Apparently it's going to be a new Ultramar gas station with a corner store and Tim Hortons inside. Nice to see that area getting more attention.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickle View Post
Up by Nissan and the new Hanpton inn, there is another foundation being laid out. Apparently it's going to be a new Ultramar gas station with a corner store and Tim Hortons inside. Nice to see that area getting more attention.
There is actually 2 foundations going up. The original plan for this development was a restaurant, a fast food restaurant, a carwash and a gas station.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 5:06 PM

Old Posted Jun 30, 2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:

Old Posted Jun 30, 2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy1 View Post
This 5 Storey Office/Condo building is under construction now at the corner of Queen and Grafton.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2019, 1:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan93 View Post
Stratford Apartments underway!

Old Posted Jul 1, 2019, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
The title of that graph referred to the Charlottetown population centre [POPCTR], which is a statistical measurement used by Statistics Canada. It roughly refers to a city’s continuous built up urban area, which is different than the municipal population, the census agglomeration (CA) or the census metropolitan area (CMA).

I'm sure the numbers have increased in Charlottetown from the ~36000 from the last census as I'm in full witness of a huge change in just my area which has become more diversified. Charlottetown was one of the last capital regions to not have a large diverse population. That has changed exponentially, and just in a short period of time. I'm sure it will reflect that in the next census and you will see that population move above the 40,000 mark with 44,000 might not be too far off.
One thing about this which I have a question about. Are university/college students in those census numbers? I ask because UPEI alone has ~5000 attending there and Holland College 2500+. That is a huge number not included in the census that impacts the cities services. Do they count them?

Last edited by Siriusb; Jul 3, 2019 at 1:43 AM.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 8:30 PM

Anyone know what the other big store is that's going in the old sears? We know there's Leon's, but all we know about the other one is that it's from Quebec.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Anyone know what the other big store is that's going in the old sears? We know there's Leon's, but all we know about the other one is that it's from Quebec.
I have no idea other than what is listed in post #2050.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2019, 2:44 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

$14.5M climate change research centre promised for P.E.I.
University proposing master's program in climate change
Kevin Yarr · CBC News · Posted: Jul 05, 2019 10:31 AM AT | Last Updated: an hour ago
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/princ...-bay-1.5201137

Interesting idea. I question though locating this new facility in St Peter's Bay rather than on campus in Charlottetown. I wonder how this will complicate life for students taking the new program, but also requiring courses from other faculties and departments. This might be a little impractical IMHO.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2019, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
$14.5M climate change research centre promised for P.E.I.
University proposing master's program in climate change
Kevin Yarr · CBC News · Posted: Jul 05, 2019 10:31 AM AT | Last Updated: an hour ago
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/princ...-bay-1.5201137

Interesting idea. I question though locating this new facility in St Peter's Bay rather than on campus in Charlottetown. I wonder how this will complicate life for students taking the new program, but also requiring courses from other faculties and departments. This might be a little impractical IMHO.
One way to solve climate change is to cut down on useless transportation. Opening a school in the middle of nowhere is a great example of how to not solve climate change. Awful idea, terrible waste of tax dollars.

Edit to add: beautiful building, though.

Last edited by TGK; Jul 5, 2019 at 5:04 PM. Reason: Add text

Old Posted Jul 5, 2019, 5:22 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGK View Post
Indeed - and it would look great on campus too........

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 8:54 AM

Charlottetown is moving toward three fire districts, now with a proposal to add onto Island EMS’ building on Sherwood Rd. No word yet on the logistics of a third station, such as Council thinking they’ll actually find an additional 30-40 volunteers to staff it. Logistics aside, this is good news for West Royalty as the neighbourhood’s current coverage transits from Sherwood.

Long term vision would see regional cooperation. The issue there is North River and Crossroads FD are both independent fire companies and the city would never outsource its fire services (insurance, unions, etc). Cornwall and Stratford would have to discontinue its contracts with the companies and enter into an agreement with Charlottetown. I could see Crossroads easily becoming a municipal department, but not North River FD as they cover a massive chunk of Queens County (Rice Point - Bonshaw - Winsloe Rd).

With the rising costs of everything, governments have to start sharing more services.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 1:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGK View Post
One way to solve climate change is to cut down on useless transportation. Opening a school in the middle of nowhere is a great example of how to not solve climate change. Awful idea, terrible waste of tax dollars.

That shows you what happens when people don't think and just throw money at an idea. I agree, terrible idea. If it was an agricultural school, it probably wouldn't look so bad, but climate change, 40 miles from its main campus. I shake my head.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 5:27 PM

https://www.cupevents.ca/hotel-announcement
Summerside to get hotel at Credit Union Place!

SUMMERSIDE – The City of Summerside announced today that a development agreement has been signed for the construction of a Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham hotel on the grounds of Credit Union Place. Caboteer Hospitality and Developments Inc. and its CEO Glenn Squires announced the confirmation of the new development for the City. “We are honored to bring the City of Summerside a much needed modern new-built hotel,” commented Squires. “We are beyond impressed with what the City has accomplished in creating a destination at Credit Union Place (“CUP”) with signature sporting events, concerts, meetings & conventions and community programming, and couldn’t be happier to connect this flagship facility with Canada’s fastest growing new hotel brand,” continued Squires. Caboteer Hospitality and Developments Inc. is based in Bedford, Nova Scotia and is an affiliate company of Crescita Hotels and Resorts LP and Pacrim Hospitality Services Inc. The group owns and/or manages 20 hotels in Canada and the United States. With over 25 years of experience developing and acquiring hotel properties across Canada, Caboteer and its partners have earned numerous Industry and brand awards.

The City of Summerside has been seeking the right partner for the development of a hotel at Credit Union Place since the facilities inception. “We are excited to be announcing this development today with one of Canada’s most recognizable hotel developers. The opportunities to drive new business into our city with this hotel are endless. The hotel will create 80-100 construction jobs and 30+ new full and part time operational jobs with no out-of-pocket expense to the taxpayer,” commented Mayor Basil Stewart.

The hotel will be developed on the southwest portion of the CUP grounds and connected by a covered breezeway into the main lobby of the facilities. Upgrades to parking and green spaces will also take place as part of the construction.

Microtel is one of 19 brands under Wyndham Hotels and Resorts, the world’s largest hotel company by number of properties, and stewarded in Canada by MasterBUILT Hotels Ltd. under a territorial master development agreement. “Microtel by Wyndham is an ideal brand selection for this development as it complements the amenities and services provided by CUP and offers contemporary rooms and suites that will offer terrific value for both corporate and leisure guests visiting Summerside,” commented JP Desrosiers, Director of Community Services for the City of Summerside. Desrosiers added, “This development is the missing piece of the puzzle to continue to grow our venue’s offerings, host additional and larger signature events, grow our meetings and convention segment, and support our growing sport and event tourism sector.”

Construction on the hotel development is set to commence later this fall or early spring 2020 and is scheduled to be complete in early 2021.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 4:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
https://www.cupevents.ca/hotel-announcement
Summerside to get hotel at Credit Union Place!

SUMMERSIDE – The City of Summerside announced today that a development agreement has been signed for the construction of a Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham hotel on the grounds of Credit Union Place. Caboteer Hospitality and Developments Inc. and its CEO Glenn Squires announced the confirmation of the new development for the City. “We are honored to bring the City of Summerside a much needed modern new-built hotel,” commented Squires. “We are beyond impressed with what the City has accomplished in creating a destination at Credit Union Place (“CUP”) with signature sporting events, concerts, meetings & conventions and community programming, and couldn’t be happier to connect this flagship facility with Canada’s fastest growing new hotel brand,” continued Squires. Caboteer Hospitality and Developments Inc. is based in Bedford, Nova Scotia and is an affiliate company of Crescita Hotels and Resorts LP and Pacrim Hospitality Services Inc. The group owns and/or manages 20 hotels in Canada and the United States. With over 25 years of experience developing and acquiring hotel properties across Canada, Caboteer and its partners have earned numerous Industry and brand awards.

The City of Summerside has been seeking the right partner for the development of a hotel at Credit Union Place since the facilities inception. “We are excited to be announcing this development today with one of Canada’s most recognizable hotel developers. The opportunities to drive new business into our city with this hotel are endless. The hotel will create 80-100 construction jobs and 30+ new full and part time operational jobs with no out-of-pocket expense to the taxpayer,” commented Mayor Basil Stewart.

The hotel will be developed on the southwest portion of the CUP grounds and connected by a covered breezeway into the main lobby of the facilities. Upgrades to parking and green spaces will also take place as part of the construction.

Microtel is one of 19 brands under Wyndham Hotels and Resorts, the world’s largest hotel company by number of properties, and stewarded in Canada by MasterBUILT Hotels Ltd. under a territorial master development agreement. “Microtel by Wyndham is an ideal brand selection for this development as it complements the amenities and services provided by CUP and offers contemporary rooms and suites that will offer terrific value for both corporate and leisure guests visiting Summerside,” commented JP Desrosiers, Director of Community Services for the City of Summerside. Desrosiers added, “This development is the missing piece of the puzzle to continue to grow our venue’s offerings, host additional and larger signature events, grow our meetings and convention segment, and support our growing sport and event tourism sector.”

Construction on the hotel development is set to commence later this fall or early spring 2020 and is scheduled to be complete in early 2021.
This will be an excellent and much needed hotel for Summerside.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifyoubuildit View Post
This will be an excellent and much needed hotel for Summerside.
Right, just like the 11 storey they were going to build six years ago. I'll believe it when they start digging.
With three more hotels in Charlottetown being built or some already built, and only 40 minutes away, this may impact that decision. Just saying.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siriusb View Post
Right, just like the 11 storey they were going to build six years ago. I'll believe it when they start digging.
With three more hotels in Charlottetown being built or some already built, and only 40 minutes away, this may impact that decision. Just saying.
Remember this Summerside plan? https://youtu.be/oKbr19y4BfM

Old Posted Jul 12, 2019, 3:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siriusb View Post
They never planned an 11 storey hotel. They made renders of an 11 storey hotel when they put out the request for proposals. It just took 6 years to get a good enough proposal. I’m happy that the City will have a brand name hotel attached right to Credit Union Place.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2019, 3:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
They never planned an 11 storey hotel. They made renders of an 11 storey hotel when they put out the request for proposals. It just took 6 years to get a good enough proposal. I’m happy that the City will have a brand name hotel attached right to Credit Union Place.
I was just about to say the same thing, before they just had ideas and plans of what they would like to see. Nothing was ever written in stone. I think this is a great development for Summerside and look forward to hopefully more development to come.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces