HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

View Poll Results: Which transbay tower design scheme do you like best?
#1 Richard Rogers 40 8.05%
#2 Cesar Pelli 99 19.92%
#3 SOM 358 72.03%
Voters: 497. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Nov 20, 2008, 4:29 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Yes, but nothing terribly exciting yet. Some equipment is staged and they've removed a few small above ground structures. Most activity is along Main where they are digging a trench into the street. I'm guessing they're tying into utilities. I also saw a Planning notice that they will be building an office here. They have their construction trailers across Howard (in the slim parking lot I asked about earlier) so I'm not sure what this office is, unless the notice refers to the temporary terminal office. They haven't yet fenced off the two buildings in the southeast corner, but they are being prepped for demo.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Nov 21, 2008, 5:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Friday, November 21, 2008
Five developers vying to build at Transbay in S.F.
San Francisco Business Times - by J.K. Dineen

At least five housing developers are jockeying for the right to build a 550-foot residential tower at First and Folsom streets in San Francisco’s Transbay District, despite a devastating economic downturn that has depressed the value of the site and precluded some major builders from taking on the 597-unit project.

Developers looking at the site, known as Block 8, include Avant Housing, Intracorp San Francisco, the Emerald Fund, AvalonBay and Related Cos.
, according to interviews and a sign-in list from the redevelopment agency’s Nov. 13 “pre-submittal” meeting on the project. Developers expected to make especially strong bids include the rental real estate investment trust AvalonBay; Avant Housing, a joint venture between local builders AGI Capital and TMG Partners; and the New York-based Related, which is reportedly teaming up with Emerald Fund. Other developers attending the meeting included Chicago-based Mesa Development, luxury housing giant Toll Brothers and San Mateo-based SunCal Cos.

Mike Grisso, project manager for the San Francisco Redevelopment Agency, said he was “very happy” with the interest Block 8 is generating.

“People recognize it as one of the last great opportunities in this part of town,” said Grisso. “You always want to have a lot of people come out, and that can be challenging in troubled economic times.”

The 42,600-square-foot parcel is one of a dozen lots freed up when the elevated Embarcadero Freeway was knocked down after the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake. While nine of the 12 parcels are set to be eventually redeveloped with housing — two will be parks and one a 700,000-square-foot office tower — Block 8 is the largest. It calls for a 550-foot tower reaching above two midrise affordable apartment buildings and a row of townhouses that will open onto Folsom Street, a thoroughfare set to be rebuilt as a shopping boulevard with wider sidewalks, new greenery and outdoor seating. Redevelopment rules require that the project be 25 percent affordable. The project calls for 447 units of market-rate condos in addition to 150 units of affordable or below-market-rate housing. Money generated from the sale of block 8 will help pay for the new Transbay rail and bus terminal.

For the redevelopment agency, the timing of the request for proposal is unfortunate. San Francisco’s astronomical land values have softened since 2006 when Jackson Pacific sold 45 Lansing St. for about $30 million, or $125,000 per approved unit. While it’s difficult to say how much Block 8 will command, brokers pegged the value between $35 and $40 million, or $100,000 per buildable market-rate unit.

Several developers originally seen as strong contenders for the site, including Forest City, Millennium Partners and Tishman Speyer, are not expected to makes bids due to the soft market, according to architects and engineers who have had discussions with those companies about the site.

“The timing couldn’t be worse for the Redevelopment Agency right now,” said Russ Gatschet, senior pre-construction manager for Bovis Lend Lease, which is in talks with developers on the project. “I don’t know what the expected land value is, but I’m sure it’s more than any developer is willing to pay right now.”

Given the weak condo market and relatively strong rental climate, the project might make most sense for an upscale apartment builder like AvalonBay. AvalonBay Senior Development Director Meg Spriggs said her company has assembled a team and will make a proposal.

“We are looking at Block 8 fully recognizing that the economic climate is very difficult. While very financially challenged, Block 8 is an opportunity to do good high density, transit oriented development and collaborate with the city in a meaningful way,” she said. “Block 8 is a complicated, challenging deal and our hurdle is higher than it has been in many years. But, we believe that AvalonBay is uniquely positioned to take on these types of challenges and we aren’t afraid to dig in and take a good hard look.”

Eric Tao, a principal with Avant Housing and AGI, said the slowdown actually creates a window to chase intricate public-private partnerships.

“I’m not building a lot right now, I’m looking at (requests for proposals),” said Tao. “What we’re doing is planting seeds for when the economy is healthy again.”

Tao said the Redevelopment Agency will have to accept that the land value has decreased from its height in 2007.

“The land value is depressed, but if you get somebody building there, that creates jobs, taxes and fees,” said Tao.

Clark Manus, a principal of the architecture firm HellerManus Architects, said Block 8 has the advantage of being on Folsom Street and on flat land.

“Folsom is really the boulevard of choice for this new residential neighborhood,” Manus said. “There are a lot of Rincon Hill projects that are approved and are stalled or stumbling. The question you have to ask is, ‘Is this site better by virtue of being on the flats on Folsom?’”

Developers who take the long-term perspective on Block 8 will do well, he added.

“If you look at the moment, it’s scary,” he said. “It’s challenging, but you have to look beyond that.”

jkdineen@bizjournals.com / (415) 288-4971
Source: http://sanfrancisco.bizjournals.com/...ml?t=printable

Old Posted Nov 21, 2008, 7:57 PM
Only Mostly Dead

That's great. Way more interest than I expected. The real insight will come with the actual bids, but this is a good start.

JK mis-wrote this sentence:
Quote:
It calls for a 550-foot tower reaching above two midrise affordable apartment buildings and a row of townhouses that will open onto Folsom Street,
The RFP calls for the townhouses to front Clementina and Folsom to be all retail.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Last edited by peanut gallery; Nov 21, 2008 at 8:13 PM.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2008, 6:32 PM

Quote:
...two will be parks and one a 700,000-square-foot office tower — Block 8 is the largest.
According to http://www.pcparch.com/transbay/citypark.swf this used to be a 1,700,000-square-foot office tower. The 1mil less square footage may be consistent with the Transbay Tower currently being shown at 550 feet, reduced from 1,200 or 1,000 feet, with "exact height to be determined pending further analysis."

see: http://sfgov.org/site/uploadedfiles/...0Framework.pdf

Old Posted Dec 2, 2008, 7:29 PM

^^^ The 700,000 sf tower mentioned there is not the Hines Transbay Tower. It is a project on "Block 5", on the "north" side of Howard between Main and Beale.

The 12 parcels they mention are separate from the terminal/tower project...what they're talking about is "Zone One" of the broader redevelopment area, shown in darker grey area here:

The Transbay Tower itself is outside of this area, "south" of Mission between Fremont and First.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2008, 7:32 PM

Thanks for clearing that up.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 2:16 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Yes, this is the one that is currently a surface lot under the existing ramp from the terminal. With the new configuration, the ramp will no longer cut across the lot, opening it for this new office tower.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2008, 12:29 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Hubba, hubba:

source: SocketSite.

You're looking at the new park (and some surrounding future developments) where the temporary Transbay Terminal is being constructed. This is probably ten years away from reality, but I can't wait to see it happen.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2008, 12:39 AM

Here is another view shown at the temporary terminal groundbreaking yesterday:

Old Posted Dec 12, 2008, 2:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
Hubba, hubba:

source: SocketSite.

You're looking at the new park (and some surrounding future developments) where the temporary Transbay Terminal is being constructed. This is probably ten years away from reality, but I can't wait to see it happen.
10 years is a long wait. It could be a little different by the time it becomes reality. I sure would like to be able to pan up that view though. Thanks for posting!

Old Posted Dec 12, 2008, 2:49 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFView View Post
10 years is a long wait. It could be a little different by the time it becomes reality. I sure would like to be able to pan up that view though. Thanks for posting!
I'm sure it will change, but it's still fun to fantasize. I too would love to pan up, around, over, etc. It just struck me that this will make a nice bookend opposite Jackson Square on the other side of the FiDi. Both have a central park with some low-rise residential surrounded by highrise residential and even taller office buildings nearby. It will be like a mirror image.

PS: thanks for posting the other image, holeinground. I missed that.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2008, 6:11 AM
Green Berniecrat

Nice find guys, thanks for posting.

Those two towers in the background straight ahead I imagine is Tishman Speyer's 2nd phase following the completion of Infinity. They look a little more glassy, but that might just be the artist's rendition. Its certainly very detailed.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2008, 1:14 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
it's still fun to fantasize. I too would love to pan up, around, over, etc.
Enjoy: http://vimeo.com/2489687

Old Posted Dec 13, 2008, 6:20 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Well, it's safe to say that I'll be watching that a lot in the coming months. My goodness! Thank you, BT! (I'm doing that a lot tonight.)

Old Posted Dec 13, 2008, 8:14 PM

i wanna go swimming in that pool at the californian.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2008, 8:25 PM

oh and they appear to have put 325 fremont in the wrong place and rotated 90 degrees. just nitpicking.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2008, 9:18 PM
Green Berniecrat

My goodness, that is one good looking presentation, thank you so much for posting that BT. I cant wait to start seeing more activity on site =)

Old Posted Dec 14, 2008, 12:35 AM

Wow this will really enhance downtown.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2008, 3:06 AM

...And here we go:

Old Posted Dec 14, 2008, 3:34 AM
Green Berniecrat

Brilliant still shots, this will for sure be the project to watch, at least on this side of the Mississippi.

Although ... I would have said it like this: "And here ... we ... go"

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development