HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 8:47 PM

Sorry, I'm watching the NCC Board Meeting as I'm posting.

Washrooms were supposed to be in the "Vessel", which was the amphitheater, but since the "Vessel" was removed, so were the washrooms. Quite disappointing and hope they can still be added at a future date.

In response, the NCC is negotiating with the National Gallery to open up their cafeteria (which faces Nepean Point) for public washroom usage. That would mean limited hours, I'm sure.

The NCC also brings up the washrooms at Major's Hill across the new bridge.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 9:26 PM

Nice place for another seasonal pop-up restaurant. Otherwise, I expect it to be a really dead place.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2021, 3:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
Nice place for another seasonal pop-up restaurant. Otherwise, I expect it to be a really dead place.
It will connect to Major’s Hill Park, which is always busy. I think the bridge will make this an extension of the park.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2021, 5:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
Nepean Point has always been a pretty busy place, especially at sunset from Spring-Fall. Why would it be 'a really dead place' after the revamp when it will be more accessible?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2021, 12:29 PM

I haven't spent a whole lot of time at Nepean Point, but I would imagine that it will get busier with the bridge making it far more accessible. I'm sure many people are curious when they see the statue of Samuel de Champlain and the 100 Foot Line, but they may not know how to get there or don't want to make the detour.

Improving the link between the Gallery and the Point should also help liven up the area.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2021, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
I haven't spent a whole lot of time at Nepean Point, but I would imagine that it will get busier with the bridge making it far more accessible. I'm sure many people are curious when they see the statue of Samuel de Champlain and the 100 Foot Line, but they may not know how to get there or don't want to make the detour.

Improving the link between the Gallery and the Point should also help liven up the area.
I have spent a lot of time there as it is my favourite place to be at sunset. I also drove by it from the Alexandra or Macdonald-Cartier Bridge most days pre-covid. It was not jammed with people before they started work on it but it certainly attracted a decent amount of people most days. I think it will be extremely popular after the revamp.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2021, 9:30 PM

Nepean point definitely gets pretty busy year round with tourists and locals alike. I know of good number of people who have it as basically their favorite place in the city for relaxing in the outdoors. It truly acts as a destination and not just a place.

I was also the end point for my runs for a couple years.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2021, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Sorry, I'm watching the NCC Board Meeting as I'm posting.

Washrooms were supposed to be in the "Vessel", which was the amphitheater, but since the "Vessel" was removed, so were the washrooms. Quite disappointing and hope they can still be added at a future date.

In response, the NCC is negotiating with the National Gallery to open up their cafeteria (which faces Nepean Point) for public washroom usage. That would mean limited hours, I'm sure.

The NCC also brings up the washrooms at Major's Hill across the new bridge.
I noticed they got rid of the amphitheater. I wonder why. This plan has become so underwhelming in my opinion. I'll probably check it out when it first opens, but other than that, I don't see any reason to visit more than once.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2021, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
I noticed they got rid of the amphitheater. I wonder why. This plan has become so underwhelming in my opinion. I'll probably check it out when it first opens, but other than that, I don't see any reason to visit more than once.
I agree for the most part. It's certainly an improvement over what was there before. Re-building the bridge to Major's Hill greatly improves accessibility and visibility, but otherwise, it's still a just a basic park with a few sculptures and good views.

The Westboro Beach improvements, on the other hand, offer much more.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 12:49 AM

Quote:
I agree for the most part. It's certainly an improvement over what was there before. Re-building the bridge to Major's Hill greatly improves accessibility and visibility, but otherwise, it's still a just a basic park with a few sculptures and good views.

The Westboro Beach improvements, on the other hand, offer much more.
At least it will still be the best place for sunset in the entire region! There's nothing else like the golden rays hitting parliament and the sky catching fire over the Ottawa River from that vantage point.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 4:54 AM

There's something to be said for a place that is just a nice place for anyone to go. It doesn't need to be a carnival or a cafe. Just a free spot to spend a little time. Have a picnic. Take in the sunset. Smoke a joint. Sneak a kiss when you and your partner end up there on a late night stroll. Not everything needs to be a thing.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 2:08 PM

New rendering of the ha-ha (?) under Samuel de Champlain. Foundations for the bridge to be constructed this Spring, with the entire project set for completion in the Spring of 2023.

https://www.ledroit.com/actualites/o...d246ebe85856ec

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykl View Post
There's something to be said for a place that is just a nice place for anyone to go. It doesn't need to be a carnival or a cafe. Just a free spot to spend a little time. Have a picnic. Take in the sunset. Smoke a joint. Sneak a kiss when you and your partner end up there on a late night stroll. Not everything needs to be a thing.
Ottawa already has a lot of those spaces in the downtown area - Parliament Hill, Majors Hill Park, Confederation Park, Commissioners Park, and all along the Ottawa River and canal. We could use one that has a little bit more excitement - a carousel, those bistros they've started to roll out, live entertainment on the weekends.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
Ottawa already has a lot of those spaces in the downtown area - Parliament Hill, Majors Hill Park, Confederation Park, Commissioners Park, and all along the Ottawa River and canal. We could use one that has a little bit more excitement - a carousel, those bistros they've started to roll out, live entertainment on the weekends.
That may be true, but I don't think that Nepean point is the right place for that. It's really about the spectacular views and being in the city but a bit removed from it. It's also an outdoor space for the Gallery. I'm with mykl on this one - they've got the right idea by improving connections and leaving this as an open space for people to congregate. There's already a tavern right across the street in Major's Hill Park.

The carousels and bistros can go pretty much anywhere else. I'd rather see them liven up the CBD than put that kind of thing at Nepean Point (except maybe on a temporary basis, though even that could go in the paved space beside the Gallery).

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 3:19 PM

I might seem a bit flip-floppy but yes, I can see how Nepean Point can act on its own as a space for views and relaxation and not a place for extra attractions like bistros and a carousel.

Still disappointed they removed the theatre, and more so the washrooms, but it is what it is.

It'd like to see a proposal for a Ferris wheel at Confederation park, canal side. It would offer some great views of Parliament, downtown and activity on the canal. It would be an amazing attraction, summer and winter (if we can run it in winter months, at least during Christmas Lights across Canada and Winterlude) in a corner that's generally pretty dead, with few attractions otherwise.

We could also add a performance space and entrance to the NAC under the Mackenzie-King Bridge facing the grassy area in the park.

I understand why they couldn't remove Lawrence Freiman Lane, but it could at least be adapted as flex space, plaza most of the time and roadway when the NAC needs it.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 3:48 PM

Quote:
I might seem a bit flip-floppy but yes, I can see how Nepean Point can act on its own as a space for views and relaxation and not a place for extra attractions like bistros and a carousel.

Still disappointed they removed the theatre, and more so the washrooms, but it is what it is.

It'd like to see a proposal for a Ferris wheel at Confederation park, canal side. It would offer some great views of Parliament, downtown and activity on the canal. It would be an amazing attraction, summer and winter (if we can run it in winter months, at least during Christmas Lights across Canada and Winterlude) in a corner that's generally pretty dead, with few attractions otherwise.

We could also add a performance space and entrance to the NAC under the Mackenzie-King Bridge facing the grassy area in the park.

I understand why they couldn't remove Lawrence Freiman Lane, but it could at least be adapted as flex space, plaza most of the time and roadway when the NAC needs it.
I'm not sure where I saw it, but I think the plan is to extend Confederation Park and integrate it with the canal in the way you suggest.

A ferris wheel would be a great idea, particularly now (and for the next 10 years) when there is not access to the Peace Tower, and nowhere to get a view of the city from above.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 10:20 PM

From today:

Old Posted Sep 17, 2021, 1:12 AM

Old Posted Sep 17, 2021, 1:21 AM

Nice shot, but be careful, Nepean Point is in Class F airspace for Parliament, even with a micro drone you need special permission to fly there. (I also regularly fly a mini 2)

Old Posted Sep 17, 2021, 1:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRTeverywhere View Post
Nice shot, but be careful, Nepean Point is in Class F airspace for Parliament, even with a micro drone you need special permission to fly there. (I also regularly fly a mini 2)
Oh good to know, thanks. I thought it's only airports.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa