HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Oct 13, 2012, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnybrae View Post

I can understand the frustration but, on the other side of the coin, it's really not like taking the bus.
lol bus....what bus??

Old Posted Oct 13, 2012, 1:54 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:

I'm not defending Air Canada.... but... here is another example of people wanting the airline to be run like a private business but act like a crown coporation. Major cities will get better service. Thats reality. Name me an airline that doesn't have hubs. It's the only way to barely make a profit. How many airlines have gone bankrupt in the last, say ten years? Is fuel getting cheaper? Are aircraft getting that much more fuel efficient? Are new aircraft getting cheaper to finance? Based on some of the comments on this forum, it's a no brainer to start up Atlantic Canada Airways again and make millions of dollars flying all over the planet from small cities and towns.

I can understand the frustration but, on the other side of the coin, it's really not like taking the bus.
Granted, but the situation described by Smevo in Sydney smacks of a poorly run monopoly where a small colonial outpost is given short shrift by the mother corp. Air Canada obviously doesn't care about Sydney and perhaps the airline really would like to service NS only out of Halifax and nowhere else.

There is no question that passengers prefer direct connections over having to make multiple transfers to get to their destination. In this day and age, I can't imagine why there isn't at least one daily connection direct between Sydney and Toronto. Moncton is less than 50% bigger than CBRM (granted with a bigger catchment area) and between AC, WestJet & Porter, I think we have about nine daily flights to Toronto. This is important stuff, especially if you are trying to market your city to the central Canadian business community.

Business commuters want easy access to cities where they have their investments. Every time you add a waypoint to their itineraries, it makes them less happy.

If you had a businessman in Vancouver who wanted to invest in NS and needed to keep personal tabs on his investment every month or so, it might make a big difference on his decision exactly where in the province to invest based on ease of access. A single transfer in TO to a second jet would be much more attractive to him than two transfers, especially if the second transfer is to a 20 seat turboprop!

The hub and spoke system places CBRM at a significant competitive disadvantage compared to Halifax and will only serve to perpetuate Cape Breton's economic malaise.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2012, 1:55 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshark View Post
lol bus....what bus??
I was actually going to say something similar...

Old Posted Oct 13, 2012, 7:44 PM
Sarcstic Caper in Exile

Quote:

I'm not defending Air Canada.... but... here is another example of people wanting the airline to be run like a private business but act like a crown coporation. Major cities will get better service. Thats reality. Name me an airline that doesn't have hubs. It's the only way to barely make a profit. How many airlines have gone bankrupt in the last, say ten years? Is fuel getting cheaper? Are aircraft getting that much more fuel efficient? Are new aircraft getting cheaper to finance? Based on some of the comments on this forum, it's a no brainer to start up Atlantic Canada Airways again and make millions of dollars flying all over the planet from small cities and towns.

I'm not expecting it to be run like the bus, but look at the latent demand! 50% increase in traffic over a 6 year period, and that's accomplished simply by a seasonal service running for 42% of the year to provide competition. If Air Canada could give a good explanation of why their prices miraculously are cut nearly in half for the Sydney-Halifax leg, and how they can easily compete with a seasonal service to Toronto for the same price as the competition and the same price as a flight that takes half the time (Halifax), than I might not be so hard on them. Take two high-demand seasons and compare them. For two people to fly Calgary to Sydney at Christmas is typically ~$2400. For these same two people in summer for this same flight is typically ~$1600 to ~$1800 (when there's competition). All those costs that you list are the exact same during these two time periods. Again, last Christmas it was cheaper to fly into Halifax (on either airline) and rent a car for the entire week, including gas and insurance, than it would have been to fly directly into Sydney.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Business commuters want easy access to cities where they have their investments. Every time you add a waypoint to their itineraries, it makes them less happy.

The hub and spoke system places CBRM at a significant competitive disadvantage compared to Halifax and will only serve to perpetuate Cape Breton's economic malaise.
Further to the points you made, it's not like NS airports are set up like NB's. Look at the traffic each of the three largest airports in NB get compared to Sydney. Is it easier to get from Sydney to Halifax than it is from any of the three NB cities to any one of the others? Most certainly not. NB's geographical equivalent in NS would be to have the three airports located at approximately Halifax, Truro, and Kentville! Sydney, which sits population-wise as smaller than Saint John and Moncton and larger than Fredericton and Charlottetown gets worse service than any one of these locations.

Edit - I'm admittedly a bit scatter brained today (that's what 16 days in a row working and 4 hours sleep will do I suppose), but I just noticed this and want to squash the line of commentary I see as a possibility before it starts.
First, I'm not suggesting Sydney becomes a hub, simply that it gets some direct service outside the Maritimes year-round, be it Toronto, Montreal, or Ottawa. Toronto's the preferable one, but any of the three would do (for comparison, Fredericton airport has direct to all three of these). I'm not even asking for the same service as any of the NB cities, and especially not the same as Halifax. Just for better service and reasonable prices even during their monopoly times of the year. I guarantee you that if Encore (Westjet's regional service) comes into Sydney, you'll see Air Canada's prices come down and it won't bankrupt them. I'd also be willing to bet our passenger numbers may not pass 200,000 per year, but will come pretty damn close given a few years, more or less on par with Saint John and Fredericton airports that get service to more destinations but compete with each other in too close an area slowing their growth more than it would be otherwise.
Second, the comparison to the NB airports wasn't a matter of "look how good they are we want that model". I realize and have said several times that the NB model has it's own problems. The point was that if you can't get a decent price into Fredericton or Saint John, your still only 1 to 1.5 hours drive away from your final destination by flying into Moncton (same works for any combination of the three). Heck, if you can't get a decent price in Moncton, you're still a lot closer to Halifax there than Sydney is.
Thirdly, and I only mention this because it came up in MonctonRad's post, I am not interested in "competing with Halifax". But given a) the state of our economy b) the businesses interested in the region (publicly and off the record) c) the latent demand for reasonable air service in Sydney d) the fact that we're the 5th largest "metro" in the Atlantic Provinces (4th in the Maritimes) and get the same "during monopoly" service that Yarmouth did before air service left there, things need to change so we can compete with....well....anybody. As much as some like to think this happens, Halifax's "trickle-down" effects don't reach to areas 5 hours away.
So if a private company that was never a crown corporation can come in starting with three days a week service, changing to four days a week after the first few weeks due to overwhelming demand, and changing again to daily because of the demand and success of the service, and run it profitably to the point of considering year-round service (which they had been considering with their jets before they announced the startup of the regional service), I'm not exactly asking Air Canada to take a loss for the sake of my convenience once a year.
There are a lot of fallacies about the interest in the Sydney economy perpetually floating around out there (not just on this board) due to lack of information (and occasionally at time flat out misinformation), and since I'm the only one from the area on the board, I get a little frustrated when I see comments that arise directly or indirectly from these fallacies (usually through no fault of the poster other than believing the fallacies because they've never heard the other side so don't realize it even exists).

Anyway I'm obviously over-tired, so I'm heading to bed. 17th day in a row tomorrow, but at least I'm not working 'til midnight tonight.

Last edited by Smevo; Oct 14, 2012 at 1:44 AM.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2012, 10:58 PM

Well I hope Encore solves all the problems. Time will tell.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2012, 11:28 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I certainly wasn't suggesting that the Sydney airport become a hub either Smevo.

I think we are getting at the same thing. CBRM is larger than either Fredericton or Charlottetown yet has much worse air connections than either of them. In addition, CBRM is the most isolated metro in the Maritimes and therefore arguably should have improved air connections due to geographic isolation.

Sydney deserves better. At the very least, CBRM deserves year round connections to Toronto Pearson.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2012, 12:57 AM
Sarcstic Caper in Exile

We're getting at the same thing. It was inferred that I was suggesting Sydney become a hub, so I was responding to that.

I have no problems with the hub and spoke system for airlines, but in Sydney's case it has run amok, as MonctonRad has said. Year round competition and one flight daily to Toronto would solve a lot of issues. It would still make sense to connect in Halifax for most international flights, and any flights east of Toronto in Canada.

Quote:
Well I hope Encore solves all the problems. Time will tell.
Sarcasm noted and ignored.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2012, 5:35 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

From the St. John's International Airport's Facebook Page:

St. John's International Airport
The "Sunshine State" is only a 5 hr flight away. Starting tomorrow @westjet will offer weekly service to Orlando until May 12, 2013 http://ow.ly/eYAPh

Old Posted Nov 21, 2012, 4:54 AM
New Brunswick Urbanite

There may finally be light at the end of the tunnel for the Air Canada monopoly at our secondary airports (though we're still a year or more out):

Quote:
WestJet regional carrier will lower airfares, CEO says
The Canadian Press
Posted: Nov 20, 2012 12:09 PM ET

WestJet's new regional service will spur passenger demand by offering fares at up to half the amount charged on those routes by monopoly operators such as Air Canada, chief executive Gregg Saretsky said Monday.

"Vive la competition (long live competition)," the head of the Calgary-based airline told the Canadian Club in Montreal.

Saretsky said since the low-cost carrier was founded 16 years ago, it has a history of causing fares to drop by about 50 per cent in the markets it has added.

"I would expect that as WestJet Encore gets airborne we will continue to do the same in the smaller Canadian communities and up to 50 per cent would be something that would be reasonable."

Shunning the moniker "price war", Saretsky said "more rational pricing" will create new demand by encouraging people to take more air trips each year. He pointed out that the number of passengers from Comox on Vancouver Island surged to 121,000 per year from 5,000 when WestJet launched service.

"This isn't about carrying the same number of people at half the price. It's about growing the market by 100, 200, 300 per cent and allowing Canadians access to more affordable airfares," he later told reporters.

WestJet will announce the regional service's schedule in January. It will initially service either eastern or western routes starting in the second half of 2013, followed nine months later by the other half of the country. It expects to add up to 45 Bombardier Q400 turboprops over five years.

Air Canada recently vowed to respond to lower fares promised by WestJet when it launches its new regional service next year.

Full article: http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/stor...ceo-costs.html

Bets on the western routes coming online first.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 12:51 AM

Anyone vacationing to Newfoundland next summer? Well if you are, you can now visit Gros More, explore the coast, and then take a side trip to Saint Pierre et Miquelon (3-10 days) from Stephenville. CYJT now has free parking, including the long term variety.

http://www.cyjt.com/saintpierre.html

Neat little trip I think, I've always wanted to go down there but never had the chance. Plus, it's a great service from an airport that is barely surviving.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2012, 1:43 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

This is the arrivals board for the Greater Moncton International Airport for the next 24 hours:

AC 8940 Toronto 9:24 PM Arrived
UA 215 Newark 10:48 PM On Time
AC 7321 Halifax 10:58 PM On Time
UA 4215 Newark 11:00 PM On Time
PD 263 Ottawa 11:30 PM On Time
WJ 480 Toronto 11:57 PM On Time
AC 7526 Montreal 12:04 AM On Time
AC 8942 Toronto 12:42 AM On Time
AC 7315 Halifax 9:23 AM On Time
AC 7502 Montreal 11:24 AM On Time
PD 291 Toronto City 11:40 AM On Time
AC 8934 Toronto 12:19 PM On Time
AC 7317 Halifax 1:18 PM On Time
AC 8850 Ottawa 2:01 PM On Time
AC 8936 Toronto 3:09 PM On Time
AC 7319 Halifax 4:43 PM On Time
PD 253 Ottawa 5:10 PM On Time
AC 7514 Montreal 5:39 PM On Time
AC 8938 Toronto 6:29 PM On Time
AC 8940 Toronto 9:04 PM On Time

I was quite surprised to see there are three arrivals (and departures) for Porter Airlines, two via Ottawa and one direct to Toronto Billy Bishop. I didn't know that there had been a service expansion for Porter!

Old Posted Dec 18, 2012, 2:17 AM
Moderator / Supervillain

It's a pity we've only got the one WestJet flight. It would be nice to see the Air Canada flights not quite so dominant. If nothing else, it would make the arrivals/departures screens a little bit more colourful.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2012, 2:30 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesmalley View Post
It's a pity we've only got the one WestJet flight. It would be nice to see the Air Canada flights not quite so dominant. If nothing else, it would make the arrivals/departures screens a little bit more colourful.
I think we'll see more WestJet flights once they have established their regional airline. Also, for a good part of the year there are a couple of WestJet flights out of the GMIA. In the summer there is their flight to Hamilton. In the winter, WestJet flies to Orlando and Cancun.

Last edited by MonctonRad; Dec 18, 2012 at 4:01 AM.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 9:57 PM

The Western Star: Bright Outlook for Stephenville International Airport (Link)

Not that anyone cares except for me, but we're all here to plug our own airports.

Really interested in who may be the carrier being courted for a route to Labrador. It's not Air Canada, and I doubt it would be WestJet Encore, so that's an interesting one.

This is the airport located between the Shoal Point Oil find in Port au Port and the Four Corners Iron Ore prospect. When these two developments come online, this airport should be at the heart of it. In the meantime, partnerships with Memorial University and the Marine Institute to develop emergency training programs, a solid reputation for servicing international flights, and a summer charter schedule keep it going.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
This is the arrivals board for the Greater Moncton International Airport for the next 24 hours:

AC 8940 Toronto 9:24 PM Arrived
UA 215 Newark 10:48 PM On Time
AC 7321 Halifax 10:58 PM On Time
UA 4215 Newark 11:00 PM On Time
PD 263 Ottawa 11:30 PM On Time
WJ 480 Toronto 11:57 PM On Time
AC 7526 Montreal 12:04 AM On Time
AC 8942 Toronto 12:42 AM On Time
AC 7315 Halifax 9:23 AM On Time
AC 7502 Montreal 11:24 AM On Time
PD 291 Toronto City 11:40 AM On Time
AC 8934 Toronto 12:19 PM On Time
AC 7317 Halifax 1:18 PM On Time
AC 8850 Ottawa 2:01 PM On Time
AC 8936 Toronto 3:09 PM On Time
AC 7319 Halifax 4:43 PM On Time
PD 253 Ottawa 5:10 PM On Time
AC 7514 Montreal 5:39 PM On Time
AC 8938 Toronto 6:29 PM On Time
AC 8940 Toronto 9:04 PM On Time

I was quite surprised to see there are three arrivals (and departures) for Porter Airlines, two via Ottawa and one direct to Toronto Billy Bishop. I didn't know that there had been a service expansion for Porter!
Likely not an expansion....just pre-Xmas traffic rush. Likely returns to normal after the holidays. Most Maritime airports had extra flights to YUL and YYZ before XMAS

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 1:08 AM

I caught a report on the news tonight that Gander airport is considering an upgrade. After being in massive debt and facing a bleak future not too long ago, they are now reporting a large increase in demand. The man on the interview even mentioned the possibility of a replacement or major upgrade to the terminal building.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 2:06 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Gander's airport is a cool example of Newfoundland's first years experimenting with modern architecture.

And best wishes for the Stephenville airport. I loved being able to take a 45-minute flight to St. John's in college, rather than spending 12 hours on that ****ing bus.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Gander's airport is a cool example of Newfoundland's first years experimenting with modern architecture.
I never thought of it that way but I see what you mean.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zachbon...605690/detail/

Here are some cool pictures I found from a flickr account owned by Zach Bonnell.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 6:52 PM

http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...29758&latest=1

Quote:
Deer Lake Airport Reports Record Traffic

The Deer Lake Regional Airport has recorded an all-time high for passenger traffic. The airport authority says there were 306,071 passengers last year, surpassing the previous record of almost 294,000. The authority says the record-setting summer traffic helped the airport exceed the 300,000 passenger level for the first time in the airport's history. The airport is now the fourth busiest in Atlantic Canada behind Halifax, St. John's and Moncton.

President and CEO Jamie Schwartz attributes the record to increased capacity and airline support with major carriers serving the market, including Air Canada, Provincial Airlines, WestJet and Sunwing.

Overall, it's looking like 2012 was an awesome year for airports in NL.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
I never thought of it that way but I see what you mean.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zachbon...605690/detail/

Here are some cool pictures I found from a flickr account owned by Zach Bonnell.
that's such a cool airport! I reember seeing it on the news, apparently it was never modernized from that look, but very well maintained so now they decided to continue with the vintage style and not modernize the theme. very cool!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces