HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jul 26, 2018, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1052 View Post
In current goings on Sterling Bay filed their PD applications with the city yesterday. Which seems out of order if the Alderman isn't officially on board yet.
Happens all the time. Often the PD gets filed before the first community meeting (One Chicago Square, most West Loop towers, etc.)

Old Posted Jul 26, 2018, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
Happens all the time. Often the PD gets filed before the first community meeting (One Chicago Square, most West Loop towers, etc.)
By "officially" I should have clarified to mean the alderman has already approved it informally which usually precedes the PD getting filed or community meetings as our unique system tends to function. I mean the last guys to file without such an understanding I think was Onni at the site on Grand a few years back and that application died a very public death...so doesn't happen often to say the least.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2018, 5:34 PM

Quote:
In current goings on Sterling Bay filed their PD applications with the city yesterday. Which seems out of order if the Alderman isn't officially on board yet. Though given the size of this I assume the mayor is actually behind the wheel foot poised over the gas pedal willing to run over aldermanic prerogative and provide cover.
With the recent court challenge on aldermanic prerogative by GlenStar, the custom will hopefully get banned in the city by the end of the year. A source from Rahm's office told the Reader that he hopes the court challenge wins, so that it will help "bolster mayoral power". This might mean zoning finally gets centralized, with aldermen holding little contrl over developments

Source: https://www.chicagoreader.com/Bleade...-will-continue

Old Posted Jul 26, 2018, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumdogmillionaire View Post
Yeah, Hopkins ego is clearly taking a hit for this as Sterling Bay is just going over his head right now, but if SB is serious about the project and the Mayor believes in them, then Hopkins will have to accept the fact that he's a pawn that needs to play along. I doubt he wants to get dropped over petty squabbles. Still far from a fan of the project, and I'm definitely on board with some of Hopkins' ideas for improving the site, but we'll see if SB listens at all
I mean, he is after all Alderman of a Ward that was drawn in a way to facilitate development of the North Branch, among other goals (namely, screwing Fioretti). Why else is this area grouped together with disparate communities that won't be hurt by the congestion? This development has been a long time coming.

Hopkins is just putting up a show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
With the recent court challenge on aldermanic prerogative by GlenStar, the custom will hopefully get banned in the city by the end of the year. A source from Rahm's office told the Reader that he hopes the court challenge wins, so that it will help "bolster mayoral power". This might mean zoning finally gets centralized, with aldermen holding little contrl over developments

I'm honestly nervous about this. Aldermanic prerogative has its obvious abuses and downsides, and with our current Mayor a more centralized process could be great for development. But, in the long run, we could end up with a more restrictive environment in general like other cities that have centralized processes. It's easier for developers--especially little ones--to lobby at the local level on a case-by-case basis than to lobby for a more lenient regulatory environment at the city planning level. And we could end up with an anti-development Mayor one day too. Local control means that you can have variety, experimentation and sorting throughout the city.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2018, 5:52 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post

Rahm can steamroll Aldermanic prerogative if he really wants to. Daley demonstrated that years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jul 26, 2018, 5:52 PM

Map of the 2nd ward really is a work of almost diabolical brilliance.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2018, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Map of the 2nd ward really is a work of almost diabolical brilliance.
It looks like a scorpion. Or a wizard hat with dreadlocks.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2018, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gebs View Post
It looks like a scorpion. Or a wizard hat with dreadlocks.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2018, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suiram View Post
Thats not right. Underground could be as little as $200 million a mile if you include reasonable non-US examples. Above ground could be as low as $50-80 million a mile. Thats all excluding right of ways.

For one I was using the Paris and Berlin expansions which were recent as benchmarks and I adjusted the cost, which was $250 Million per kilometer , into cost per mile which you might have missed. You're low end cost is probably using cost figures from Spain to form the low end (MetroSur being a prominent example) which presents manifold problems:

1) Metrosur was paid for and completed 15 years ago so those figures are stale;
2) Madrid's metro utilizes small trains which allow for construction of just a single tunnel which simplifies construction;
3) The soil in that region is basically compacted sand making tunneling fairly simple;
4) Madrid has been running numerous construction programs consecutively meaning there were economies of scale that greatly reduced costs per additional mile;
5) The stations are also smaller and thus easier to build;
6) Fire safety standards are more relaxed than would be permitted in North America; and
7) No environmental impact assessments are carried out and community involvement/engagement is limited.

So yes we could construct a subway for $100 million per mile if we had a decade or two of continuous subway construction, used smaller trains, built smaller stations, relaxed our fire codes, held no public meetings, performed none of the requisite impact studies, and transported Chicago to a place where the underground geology is basically uncontaminated sand.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2018, 8:46 PM

God, I hope Stanley's reopens in the area. We love that place.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2018, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Rahm can steamroll Aldermanic prerogative if he really wants to. Daley demonstrated that years ago.
he already does but likes to let the alderman say it's their own idea

he also allows some level of token resistance from the city council

but they know who butters their bread

it's not chance the rapper.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2018, 1:55 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK47 View Post
So yes we could construct a subway for $100 million per mile if we had a decade or two of continuous subway construction, used smaller trains, built smaller stations, relaxed our fire codes, held no public meetings, performed none of the requisite impact studies, and transported Chicago to a place where the underground geology is basically uncontaminated sand.
I think you're overestimating the engineering difficulties of tunneling in Chicago. In reality, it's probably no more difficult than the Madrid project.

While Madrid does run narrow trains on parts of their system, the MetroSur runs trains that are comparable to CTA's in cross-section, but significantly longer at 60' vs. the CTA's 48'. MetroSur runs 6-car trains at 360', but a standard 8-car CTA train would only be slightly longer at 384'. If push came to shove, a new CTA line could be value-engineered for 6-car trains, which could still deliver huge amounts of capacity with automation and platform doors to be added as needed.

Our soil is no more difficult to tunnel through than Madrid's sandy soil. It's just wet clay, after all, and very consistent. After 100 years of digging tunnels in Chicago, we have a pretty good idea how to simulate the behavior of that clay, so things like settlement and water-table issues should be very avoidable.

The human factors like heavy regulation and lack of local expertise are potential drivers of high cost, as is corruption and featherbedding. We certainly would not have the economies of scale enjoyed by Madrid.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2018, 2:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I think you're overestimating the engineering difficulties of tunneling in Chicago. In reality, it's probably no more difficult than the Madrid project.

No, ideally I think it would be only slightly less complicated especially since we wouldn't need to tunnel to a significant depth. However it's not so much the dirt or clay itself than what it's near (water) and what was done above it (heavy industry). Tunneling through and thus hauling away contaminated soil won't be cheap. While we're aware of water table issues that doesn't mean that it isn't an added cost...one which wouldn't be factored in the Madrid per kilometer costs. This isn't an issue of "can it be done" but rather trying to reconcile the differences that drive costs. Wet heavy soil near a water source in an area with a high water table that formerly hosted heavy industrial is more likely to cost more to tunnel through than pushing tunnels through dry sandy soil in suburban and rural areas beyond the urban periphery.

Quote:
MetroSur runs 6-car trains at 360', but a standard 8-car CTA train would only be slightly longer at 384'. If push came to shove, a new CTA line could be value-engineered for 6-car trains, which could still deliver huge amounts of capacity with automation and platform doors to be added as needed.

CTA's version of value engineering is using the same rolling stock and supporting structures on every line. Platform doors are just going to be more problems for an agency that has trouble keeping the doors it already has in service.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2018, 2:37 AM
TL;DR

What subway route in Chicago would run through contaminated soil along most or all of its length? In any case, the pollution wouldn't change the engineering qualities of the soil. You'd just pay more to dispose of it, and depending on what kind of contamination, might need certain precautions for the workers.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2018, 2:48 AM

NM

So I'm curious, cost/engineering aside, what are the best route options for a subway or new train line? I think with 5000 total units + venues + office + whatever else that it would become pretty necessary. If they don't do that then I think the traffic in the area would be absolutely atrocious (not that it wouldn't be, but it would be worse without a train line going here).

Would you make a new line with a connection point near the North/Clybourn red line stop which has a stop in the area just north of Home Depot and then another one on the other side of the river south of Cortland or what?

And yes, I understand I"m late to the party

Last edited by marothisu; Jul 28, 2018 at 3:03 AM.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2018, 1:18 PM

https://www.chicagoarchitecture.org/...s-development/

Not that much new information (most of the plans are financial disclosure forms, etc.) but still something. Nothing said about transit other than the relocated metra station and 3 water taxi stations

Old Posted Jul 30, 2018, 3:28 PM
BANNED

Its not like Chicago has not even built over a hundred miles of even larger tunnels than would be needed. We certainly retain the skill set to do it. But costs?

Chicago Deep Tunnel

Video Link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sS3-_N1_YUE

Deep tunnel, marvelous site

Last edited by bnk; Jul 30, 2018 at 3:39 PM.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2018, 3:58 PM
Development Shill

Very true, the deep tunnel is one of the more impressive engineering feats in Chicago during the 21st century

Old Posted Jul 30, 2018, 4:49 PM
The City

^ Sure is. I kinda think that if we can do this, the Elon Musk tunnel is no big deal at all, and I also wonder why we can't build more subways as well

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jul 30, 2018, 4:58 PM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
what are the best route options for a subway or new train line?
The no-build option.

Simply decline to approve more than 2000 dwelling units, or more than 100,000 sf of office, and certainly decline to approve any sports venue. If Sterling Bay complains, remind them that they purchased land in a PMD, with no transit access. Therefore, they should be grateful that townhouses and midrises are permitted.

You want to build a new downtown? Choose a site that's served by transit.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development