HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jul 3, 2017, 5:13 PM
Busy Beaver

The lack of cohesiveness was most disappointing. It was obvious that there wasn't one organization in charge, with Heritage and the city doing their own thing, and the NCC staying out of it other than providing venues and equipment. The gateways into Parliament Hill should have been more festive and prominent instead of a vague, dreary cattle herding experience into a plain tent. I think they blew the budget on the big stage and ignored everything else. The graphic presentation was very weak, they had a lot more gateway towers and wayfinding elements in the past. The repurposed temporary highway detour signage pointing to the access point took the cake, there wasn't even any attempt to dress it up or set it level.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2017, 5:36 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_jeffrey View Post
Friends came over from Montréal and they couldn't comprehend how bad the logistics were. It took them one hour by bus from the Train station because of the bus lineup on McKenzie Bridge. Saying that garbage bins were overflowing is to minimize the reality. It was just a big mess in the core and I don't get why nobody got fired because of that. Heck if something so badly organized would have happened in Montréal, there would have been a riot.

I know that Ottawa is not used to big events, but it's not like the 150th was a surprise. It was a big screw-up.
The thing is is that Ottawa is used to big crowds on Canada Day. I hadn't been in years but on Saturday I had to go for family reasons and the crush was similar to when I was a teen in the 80s and 90s. The rain probably kept the crowds down so it is scary to think what it might have been like logistically if it had been nice and sunny.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2017, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
The lack of cohesiveness was most disappointing. It was obvious that there wasn't one organization in charge, with Heritage and the city doing their own thing, and the NCC staying out of it other than providing venues and equipment. The gateways into Parliament Hill should have been more festive and prominent instead of a vague, dreary cattle herding experience into a plain tent. I think they blew the budget on the big stage and ignored everything else. The graphic presentation was very weak, they had a lot more gateway towers and wayfinding elements in the past. The repurposed temporary highway detour signage pointing to the access point took the cake, there wasn't even any attempt to dress it up or set it level.
The people in Ottawa were just the backdrop for the PM's photo-op. They couldn't have cared less about the visitor experience.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2017, 6:44 PM

So it was the PM's fault! I knew there was a rational explanation....

Old Posted Jul 4, 2017, 12:15 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Today's letters: Canada 150 party was a disgrace of poor planning

Ottawa Citizen Editorial Board
Published on: July 3, 2017 | Last Updated: July 3, 2017 2:19 PM EDT

Citizen letter writers have strong views about the preparation and security during Canada Day celebrations downtown. You can write to us too, at letter@ottawacitizen.com Our guidelines are here.

Canada Day an exercise in poor planning

Our family with young children was excited to make the special trip from Toronto to Ottawa to experience Canada’s 150th birthday. As we got on the bus going downtown for Canada Day, you could feel the excitement.

However, once we got off the bus and made our way towards Parliament Hill, we were told the security line would take between three and five hours to get through. How could any family with children be expected to stand in a line without access to washrooms for up to five hours? So we decided to watch the ceremonies instead on the big screens downtown. There were likely thousands of us downtown who could not get into Parliament Hill, and yet there appeared to be only two big screens, one of which broke down in the opening minutes of the ceremony. The other big screen was hard to hear with an RCMP helicopter hovering overhead.

So we gave up on the big screens and walked to the ByWard Market. There was still great energy but no extra washrooms for the thousands of people, so we stood in incredibly long lines waiting access to a bathroom.

By this point, we decided to head home disappointed with the poor planning and poor experience. As our kids said as we squeezed into a packed bus to get home, “That wasn’t much of a celebration but it was a big disappointment.”

Michael Davidson, Toronto

No way to treat out-of-town guests

You wanted us to come to Ottawa. We came. We spent over-the-top exorbitant prices for hotel rooms. We got up early in the rain to line up for what we thought might be two hours to get on to Parliament Hill. We waited five-and-a-half hours. When we reached Kent Street, it was barricaded. We finally pushed our way through It was terrible.

Where were the volunteers that would direct lineups? Where were the barricades to stop people from jumping the lines? It was total disorganization and a huge disappointment for the thousand of tourists who spent a lot of money in your city. Even the setup for video monitors was disappointing.

We were lucky and persevered through the lineup, the torrential rain, the mud and slop on the Hill and enjoyed a spectacular performance. Maybe the city of Ottawa or Canadian Heritage should have looked to experiences such as those organizing your Blues Festival. I heard from locals how secure but accommodating it is to high volumes of people.

I am from Toronto. We manage large events and crowds all the time. Did the Ottawa organizers consider consulting? After all, you invited us to come.

Darlene Macartney, Toronto

Issue tickets for Parliament Hill in future

A half-million people were forecast to visit Ottawa this Canada Day. We are informed that the “capacity” of Parliament Square is 31,000. If free access to the Hill has to be limited for security reasons, a simple math calculation says that only about six per cent of those visitors can actually be accommodated. There was therefore no reason for the long lines of sad families to stand for hours waiting to be admitted, when there was zero chance that they would ever make it.

If this year’s security concerns are to be the new norm, I suggest that, in future, gratis tickets be made available on a first-come-first-served basis. Only ticket holders will be admitted to the Hill on Canada Day, and there will be no lines of frustrated hopefuls.

In future, if we want to welcome visitors to our city on Canada Day, we need to make sure that there are other suitable venues for them to go to if they cannot reach the Hill. Adequate provision needs to be made for them to see and hear the main events as they happen. Provision needs to be made to feed them, and to provide adequate sanitation facilities. The absent or not-working video screens, overflowing restaurants, uncollected garbage, total lack of street entertainers and transport chaos reflected very badly on our city this year.

I hope we learn a lesson from this fiasco and do much better in future.

Robert Farrell, Ottawa

Next time, add a gondola

That had to be the most miserable Canada Day in my 35-year experience. I’ve been to rainy days which were still OK, and I’ve been to sunny days, but Justin Trudeau couldn’t make this one good.

There should have been no security to the extent it created four-hour-plus waits. If security officers can’t differentiate a terrorist from happy families and groups, then they need to resign. And the cost of this event was certainly not worth it. Think of the heritage buildings that could have been built for this cost.

And there was nothing of outstanding excitement, (discounting a scruffy teepee and Charles and Camilla!). This city needs some pizzaz, and a gondola ride from the Hill to the Museum of History would be a good start. I will never visit the Hill again while this kind of security is in place.

Andrew Hartshorn, Kanata

Security verged on undemocratic

I fully understand the nature and challenge of public safety operations in an era of terrorist threats. However, I suggest local government, law enforcement and Parliament Hill security planners capitulated to the idea of a terrorist attack on Canada Day, spoiling the atmosphere and frustrating many Canadians who had travelled long and far. Security officials and planners fundamentally erred by not putting the desire of Canadians to party first, then designing security measures to suit that desire. Instead, they tried to control Canadians according to an intricate crowd-control operation that, in many ways, was somewhat undemocratic, if not just plain dumb. Public security measures around the parliamentary precinct did more to dampen the fun of celebration than the persistent rain.

Such tight control of access to Parliament Hill produced uncomfortable hints of a security-state mentality. Moreover, it is not apparent that any serious thought was given to the possibility of the need for a sudden or mass exit from Parliament Hill in the event of a severe thunderstorm or, in the worst case, a suicide bomber or sniper (not necessarily a terrorist act).

In future, on Canada Day, the entire parliamentary precinct should be closed off to all vehicles and turned into a giant pedestrian mall. Canadians should be allowed to wander at will, enjoy lunch or dinner al fresco on Sparks Street and watch the Parliament Hill show on large video screens placed elsewhere on Wellington and Sparks Street. Security forces can continue to occupy rooftop positions, but at street level, security forces, both overt and covert, should be among Canadians, not attempting to control them.

Canadians and government officials are fond of claiming we will not let the threat of a terrorist attack change the way we live our lives. We should not let security forces force change the way we wish to live our lives either. Security forces exist to protect citizens, no matter how difficult it might be. Above all, don’t capitulate to threats.

James S. Cox, Ph.D. , Brigadier-General (Ret’d), Ottawa

Put ordinary people on the planning committee

This was an absolute security fiasco. The trouble is, security, police and state dignitaries never have trouble with access. I’m suggesting maybe a “real” citizen on future security planning for any major public event where crowd control is better handled than on this Canada Day.

Jim Kowbel, Ottawa

Hats off to the police for keeping us safe

Before I came from India to study at McGill University in the early 1960s, the one unique national symbol I learned about was the RCMP officer. I was told that Canada is the unique country in the world that has a police force as a national symbol. When I settled in Montreal to work with Canadian Heritage on the integration of the refugee “boat people,” the leaders of the Cambodian, Laotian and Vietnamese communities could not believe the national respect we gave police, right up to the citizenship ceremonies.

No wonder then, that the RCMP was fully present in ceremonial style and in protective action right on Parliament Hill, on Canada Day. It is especially in the need for heavy protective actions at that ceremony that we must take our hats off to the RCMP and, as Ottawa citizens, pay thanks to Ottawa Police for all they clearly offered to ensure safety and full enjoyment. As an immigrant Canadian, I am proud of the professional service of our police services to ensure Canada Day was overall celebrated in peace. We should all wear the RCMP and Ottawa Police pins, as good historic reminders for 2017.

Roman Mukerjee, Ottawa

Stand on guard for Canada

Although not active participants in this year’s joyful revelry on Canada’s 150th birthday, our red and white maple leaf was again respectfully unfurled and displayed in the front yard. Several times during the day, I felt gratitude because of our good fortune to be Canadians.

The frustrating, ham-fisted security delays experienced by enthusiastic citizens wanting to partake in the Parliament Hill celebrations vividly demonstrates how a cadre of evil-minded pseudo-religious fanatics can create costly confusion in every corner of the world by occasionally wreaking deadly havoc in some unfortunate other corner. Our cherished freedoms and liberties cannot be taken for granted. The words, ‘O Canada, we stand on guard for thee,’ need far more than lip service.

Lloyd Atkins, Vernon, B.C.

A fiasco, plain and simple

Ottawa should be embarrassed by the total fiasco created for people trying to get on to the Hill on Canada Day. When you got off the buses downtown, there was absolutely no signage for any direction as to where any lineups started for security. We asked a police officer standing around, but he just walked away. We asked a security person standing there. Her answer was, “I have no idea.” There was what looked like a line with another line coming off it, so we joined it. Ten minutes later this line had grown down Queen Street about a block and a half. Twenty minutes later it had grown to three blocks long.

We moved along very slowly for the next three hours coming out at Bank and Wellington just in front of the security checkpoint but then the line took a turn down Wellington to the a barrier in front of the Supreme Court – then looped back to the security tents. All of this time, the line was about three or four people wide.

After four hours, we were in line about 100 yards from the tents when we came to a complete standstill and noticed the line beside us was almost gone. We discovered they were just crashing our line and cutting in. An officer completely ignored us again and a security person said “What can I do?” and walked away.

All year, all we have heard is come to Parliament Hill for Canada Day. They forgot to say that if you want to get on the Hill you are totally on your own. This has to be one of the most poorly organized events in this city .

Ken McCarvill, Nepean

The terrorists won after all

I have been attending Canada Day celebrations on the Hill for more than 30 years. This year I arrived extra early because I knew there would be ramped-up security. I knew “the terrorists” had said “boo” and our police and politicians would subsequently go ballistic. Boy did they ever – but so, so inefficiently!

Even at 8:30 a.m. I faced a huge and unprecedented security lineup (in the pouring rain) which literally inched along until I finally entered a tent where 20 tables were assembled to “check” attendees whose bodies and every possession had to be slowly scrutinized. Small wonder that when the noon-hour show began, the Hill was only half-full and that Major’s Hill Park was jammed with people who simply gave up on the lineup.

I know our schools tend to coddle under-achievers but, really, who did the math and figured clearing visitors so slowly would actually work? I have been on cruises where an equal number of staff have been used to clear only two or three thousand people, but this was our 150th anniversary and tens of thousands were expected. Dozens of police and security people languished at every corner virtually doing nothing while the lineup grew and grew and grew. And remember, it was a miserable morning so thousands who would otherwise have gone downtown chose not to.

So, yes, the terrorists won after all. They successfully killed Canada Day and the freedom of assembly, huge Parliament Hill crowds and joyful spirit which used to be its hallmark. What a shame and what a loss to all of us.

Colleen Patenaude, Ottawa

All this, just for some speeches

That was no celebration. Where was the band and the music so people could clap and sing? What about the music from different parts of Canada? What about something funny so we could laugh together? The poor audience went through a lot to be able to be there … to listen to speeches !

It is difficult to believe that this was someone’s idea of a party.

Gloria Young, Dunrobin

Television coverage was lacking, too

I don’t understand why CTV, CBC or Global did not carry the complete evening show for the people in Ottawa who are not able to go to Parliament Hill. Did it ever occur to anyone that the shut-ins, the seniors and anyone handicapped never got see anything from the Hill that night?

I’m 77 and I cannot drive at night, let alone take a bus, so I would have loved to see the show. I have American citizenship also, and I will greatly enjoy Tuesday, July 4. Every channel has events from all the cities. I will hear all the great American music, their anthem, and all the other songs from the U.S. and everyone is so proud to be there (except for Trump; maybe he will go away so then we will have a great show).

Annette Goldenberg, Nepean

Old Posted Jul 4, 2017, 12:16 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Canada Day's Parliament Hill security delays 'not acceptable': Ottawa police chief says

Blair Crawford, Ottawa Citizen
Paula McCooey, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: July 3, 2017 | Last Updated: July 3, 2017 6:57 PM EDT

Screening times at the two entry points to Parliament Hill on Canada Day were “not acceptable,” says Ottawa police Chief Charles Bordeleau, and created a domino effect that marred the celebrations for thousands at the county’s 150th birthday bash.

Security inside the Parliamentary precinct, which on Saturday extended onto Wellington Street, is the responsibility of the RCMP and the Parliamentary Protective Service, which also managed the lines and screening stations.

“Three to four hours in a queue line waiting to get on the Hill — clearly that is not acceptable,” Chief Charles Bordeleau said Monday. “We were advised they would process 10,000 people an hour. Clearly that didn’t happen, which caused some fairly significant queue lines, extending into the downtown core, which we ended up having to manage in our streets.”

Melissa Rusk, spokeswoman for PPS, said the stormy weather made searches more difficult. PPS had actually aimed to screen 8,000 people per hour, she said, but that was based on the expectation people would arrive dressed for summer weather. In fact, they arrived in rain gear, many with backpacks with food and drinks since there would be no food available on the Hill.

Even so, individual search times averaged from eight to 25 seconds per person and the wait times once in the corral were never more than two to three hours, Rusk said. Some cleared the line in 10-15 minutes.

But for every one who breezed through security, others were left many fuming and frustrated. Many took to social media or contacted this newspaper with their complaints.

“Ottawa should be embarrassed,” “Shame on Ottawa,” and “Ottawa failed its tourists;” were just some of the subject lines in those emails.

Bordeleau said planners brought in a security expert from Manchester, England, who warned that one small hiccup can have a cascading effect on security plans.

On Canada Day, though, there were three: the slowness of the screening process, the torrential rain that meant much of the crowd arrived downtown at the same time (and led to flooding on Parliament’s lawns), and the arrival of the Royals’ motorcade, which temporarily shut down all movement on and off the Hill.

“We were very clear up front — come out early if you want a spot,” Bordeleau said. “Some people were out there at 7 or 8 a.m., and they got on the Hill. No big issue. Then the weather happened and lot of people were iffy about whether they were going to come out. Then they saw the weather clear up, so everybody decided to come down at the same time.”

Bordeleau, who pedalled about the core on a bike Saturday and even spent a stint directing traffic, said the queues snaked down Elgin and Bank streets as far Albert and Slater, which were very busy with buses. Police rearranged barricades and tried to direct people as best they could, he said. Police also used social media to warn of the long lineups. Officials could have done a better job warning people when Parliament Hill was nearing its capacity of 36,000 people that they should go to other venues, he said.

Bordeleau praised the Ottawa officers who were on duty. “They stood there through rain and storms and sunny weather. They were thrown some curveballs and they did extremely well,” he said.

Ottawa police will meet with the RCMP and PPS to debrief the plan to see what worked, what didn’t and what can be done better in the future, he said. Bordeleau suggested a third screening stations could be set up. Rusk of the PPS said some sort of crowd-management technique further from the checkpoints could also ease the pressure on screeners.

“The reality is that today we know we have to increase security measures and with that comes an inconvenience to the public. It’s about trying to strike that right balance,” Bordeleau said.

“Our No. 1 priority was the safety of people so, from that perspective, we had no major events. We had a handful of arrests for intoxication and the like. We were very pleased to have the event go off without a major incident. That’s a success.”

Many of those caught in the crowd chaos were less charitable.

“Ottawa should be embarrassed,” wrote Ken McCarvill of Nepean, who called the lineups for Parliament Hill “a total fiasco.”

“All year all we have heard is come to Parliament Hill for Canada Day. They forgot to say, come but if you want to get on the Hill you are totally on your own as to how to make it there,” McCarvill wrote. “This has to be one of the most poorly organized events in this city. Way to go Ottawa 150 . I expected better, silly me.”

Darlene Macartney of Toronto complained of disorganization and poor services for those waiting in line.

“You wanted us to come to Ottawa. We came. We spent over the top exorbitant prices for hotel rooms,” she wrote. “We got up early in the rain to line up for what we thought might be two hours to get onto Parliament Hill. No. We waited 5 and a half hours with no exaggeration,” Macartney wrote.

Ottawa Mayor Jim Watson was not available for comment Monday, according to his spokeswoman. MP Melanie Joly, minister of Canadian Heritage, which was in charge of the Canada 150 event, did not respond to requests for comment.

Many frustrated revellers vented to Ottawa Tourism through social media about the three-hour-plus wait.

“On social media there definitely have been people reaching out to us via Twitter, Facebook or Instagram, overall the message is positive, but, yes, some people were very disappointed,” said Ottawa Tourism spokesperson Jantine Van Kregten, who said they suggested a variety of options — including Major’s Hill Park, Canadian Museum of History, and Jacques Cartier Park — to those who did not want to stand in line for the Hill.

Saturday’s downpours made for, quite literally “a perfect storm,” she said.

“The crowds were bigger, the number of people coming for their first Canada Day was bigger, the Royal visit had special security concerns,” said Kregten. “And then there was the weather.”

Retiree Michael Hadskis, on the other hand, had nothing but praise for Saturday’s party. Hadskis and his wife, joined by friends from Michigan, took the bus downtown from Kanata at 8 a.m. and were on the Hill by 9.

“The lines moved continually. Everyone was very professional. … Our experience was extremely positive,” Hadskis said.

“There was going to be half a million people downtown. I mean, connect the dots. If you wanted to be on the Hill, you had to get up early. You can’t expect to saunter downtown and expect the waters to part for you. Wasn’t going to happen.”

bcrawford@postmedia.com
Twitter.com/getBAC

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...ice-chief-says

Old Posted Jul 4, 2017, 12:36 AM

You had to live under a rock or be from Mars to not know that 500,000 people would create crowds, lines, limited food and washrooms. The programming was all available on websites. Entitled people - did they think they could just walk up on the hill at the time it would suit them and get a front row seat reserved especially for them and their family?

Was it perfect? No. Could it have been done better? Yes.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2017, 1:39 AM
Busy Beaver

Any terrorist could have wreaked havoc on Major's Hill or the Market which were unsecured but that didn't happen.

They should have several stages scattered throughout the core, and alternate the live performances between them. If they can manage to broadcast a New Year's Eve program between cities, what is it to do it within one city? Technically the set up on the Hill was already three stages. In fact there are stages set up for JazzFest and partially for BluesFest, with a bit of coordination and resource sharing, they could have had stuff happening simultaneously on the Parliament Hill, Majors Hill, Confederation Park, and LeBreton Flats, each with a live feed screen and a turn at a live performance. Crowds would then just choose the one that had their favourite performer.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2017, 3:11 AM

Quote:
Any terrorist could have wreaked havoc on Major's Hill or the Market which were unsecured but that didn't happen.

They should have several stages scattered throughout the core, and alternate the live performances between them. If they can manage to broadcast a New Year's Eve program between cities, what is it to do it within one city? Technically the set up on the Hill was already three stages. In fact there are stages set up for JazzFest and partially for BluesFest, with a bit of coordination and resource sharing, they could have had stuff happening simultaneously on the Parliament Hill, Majors Hill, Confederation Park, and LeBreton Flats, each with a live feed screen and a turn at a live performance. Crowds would then just choose the one that had their favourite performer.
I was just thinking about this. Who are we really protecting with all this security? Everywhere outside the hill was insecure as was the security line-ups themselves, so what was the point? There were all kinds opportunities for terrorists to wreak havoc. Were we really only protecting the celebrities and politicians? The general public is not being protected if they are waiting in line for screening for hours. I think we need to get rid of this nonsense for future years and let the party be a party. We cannot protect ourselves from all boogie men, it is impossible.

What was valid security was barricading the streets and the work of uniformed and plain-clothes police.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2017, 3:27 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Another thing that is shocking is that according to reporters live on the Hill (who were quoting authorities), the Hill was never filled to more than 85% capacity during either the afternoon or the evening show. This in spite of the fact that there many times more people waiting to enter at security than the actual capacity of the Hill.

So basically the checkpoints failed to process (approx) 30,000 people onto the Hill in the morning before the noon show, and even worse, failed to process a similar during the early afternoon and evening for the 9 pm show. (Accounting for people who left and whose spots could be filled by others coming in.)

Last edited by Acajack; Jul 4, 2017 at 3:59 AM.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2017, 3:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
I was just thinking about this. Who are we really protecting with all this security? Everywhere outside the hill was insecure as was the security line-ups themselves, so what was the point? There were all kinds opportunities for terrorists to wreak havoc. Were we really only protecting the celebrities and politicians? The general public is not being protected if they are waiting in line for screening for hours. I think we need to get rid of this nonsense for future years and let the party be a party. We cannot protect ourselves from all boogie men, it is impossible.

What was valid security was barricading the streets and the work of uniformed and plain-clothes police.
It really surprised me that there were no police (in uniform anyway) in the Rideau Centre or on the roof (where fortunately the only people taking advantage of the good sight-lines were taking selfies).

Old Posted Jul 4, 2017, 1:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJay View Post
There were more like 100,000 people trying to access the Hill not 500,000 like they estimated. Yes the Security is warranted since Canada now has an open border policy which has been promoted with the Government that is in power. However, it does not make sense that there was a 5 hour wait time to enter the Hill if safety was the priority as thousands of people were crammed into wait lines which made those people more vulnerable than the people that were cleared to be on the Hill. It's obvious that Security was aimed at the guests on stage and not the general public. Hopefully next years celebrations will run more smoothly.
Huh? I would've been way more concerned about terrorist attack if I lived in a country with a Muslim ban and a racist President.

IMO jersey barriers and plainclothes security in the crowd would've been adequate enough and even more effective.
If you were a terrorist there was no need to get on the hill as you could just blow yourself up in the crowds lining up for security check.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2017, 4:02 PM
New Brunswick booster!

My family and I lined up to get on the Hill at 6am and were there in 30 mins. Glad we went early. It really was a fun time issues and all

Old Posted Jul 4, 2017, 4:08 PM

The air show on July 2 was amazing. At first I thought it was a terrorist attack since the planes were flying really low and first thing I saw was a normal looking plane followed by two fighter jets. But it was great. Overall going downtown on the 2nd was way better than Canada Day.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2017, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzptichka View Post
Huh? I would've been way more concerned about terrorist attack if I lived in a country with a Muslim ban and a racist President.

IMO jersey barriers and plainclothes security in the crowd would've been adequate enough and even more effective.
If you were a terrorist there was no need to get on the hill as you could just blow yourself up in the crowds lining up for security check.

Ah! How refreshing: Critical thinking

You are not one of the sheeple who can easily be conditioned through Fearmongering. To paraphrase Bob Dylan: (They're) Lookin' for a new fool, so...Don't follow (false) leaders, watch the parkin' meters...

My wife & I usually stay home rather than attend public events that attract a large # of '...'. We know how lucrative the security business has become globally since 'you know when'. It's easy money for those who are as talentless as a Wall-Street white collar gang: Create a demand by manipulating through fear and...well I hope you get the idea.

Last edited by migo; Jul 4, 2017 at 4:49 PM.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2017, 5:30 PM

For the record, I went downtown with a bunch of people on Canada Day and entirely missed fiascos of any kind. It was a lot of fun walking around in the Market, in Major's Hill Park, Confederation Park and in the beer garden at the drill hall. Everyone in those places seemed to be in a great mood and enjoying the day.

Granted we didn't attempt the Hill, mostly because we didn't get moving until the rain ended at 10, and can do math (500,000 people, capacity of the lawn - 30,000). On the other hand we had no problem getting a spot in a pub in the Market. Met most of my goals for the day.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2017, 6:39 PM

“Some people were out there at 7 or 8 a.m., and they got on the Hill. No big issue."
-- To be there already at 7am? Well, that's clearly not a solution for everybody.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2017, 6:41 PM

Quote:
And any terrorist could have wreaked havoc on the waiting lines.
Why would they even bother to go through security?

Old Posted Jul 4, 2017, 6:56 PM

I live in the south end and the rain did not really end until around 2 pm so I didn't even consider going downtown earlier and then there were forecasts for storms in the evening which arrived at around 7 pm so I gave up any notion of going downtown especially after hearing about all the hassles with security and buses.

I am not sure how we can enjoy a party on Pariliament Hill ever again if we end up effectively in lock down. When I have gone in the past, I have walked around the various venues downtown including the Hill. Now that the Hill is segregated, I am not sure why I would ever go to Canada Day again. What we have set up is something that is not the least bit family or visitor friendly. Sure, you can get there if you are early enough and persistent enough, but the majority don't want the hassles.

Everybody can justify what happened as the mayor has done, but in the end, we are killing the cities most popular annual event. No wonder outsiders named Ottawa "the city that fun forgot'

Old Posted Jul 4, 2017, 7:10 PM
Melissa: fabulous.

That last line was funny the 356789974334567223th time I heard it.

All this seems like a storm in a glass of water. Anyone who knows anything about Canada day knows that the real parties are everywhere but the hill. Any talk about this annual event being killed is crazy.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation