HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Sep 5, 2013, 7:00 PM

Murray St.'s menu often has German touches; not the same thing, of course.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2013, 8:34 PM

Don't forget Schnitzelworks on Cyrville!! I had lunch there today, and I go every week. Limited menu of mostly schnitzels but it's very good!

Old Posted Sep 5, 2013, 9:05 PM

Thanks! Too bad there is nothing downtown.

For the Hard Rock location, anyone have any predictions as to what brew-pub might move there?

Update; I've got to start checking the next page,; I didn't see McC and Harley613's suggestions.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2013, 9:37 PM

At least there are a few places where you can get Weissbier such as Pub Italia and Wellington Diner. Any one know of any other restaurants where one can order Weissbier?

Old Posted Sep 5, 2013, 11:40 PM
Living With My Mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
Don't forget Schnitzelworks on Cyrville!! I had lunch there today, and I go every week. Limited menu of mostly schnitzels but it's very good!
Good tip. I didn't know about that joint.

There's also the German Town Deli on Slater.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2013, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
Couldn't agree more; the market needs to diversify. Right now pretty much every damn restaurant is a pub offering fries, burgers and beers. That's about it...

How about a good italian restaurant with amazing pasta? Or a sushi place? Nope... But one can dream...
No to be rude, but have you ever been to the market?

Italian?
Mezzanotte
Vittoria Trattoria
Sopra
Mangia
Stella
Mamma Grazzi
The Grand

Sushi?
Wasabi
Kinki
Hokkaido
SushiGo
Sushifresh
Sushizone

The market has it's problems, but restaurant variety ain't one of them. Good riddance to the dated, disgusting food and chain atmosphere of HRC. The space is nice, and will be better with just about anything inside.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2013, 3:10 PM

Mama Theresa's on the corner of O'Connor and Somerset is excellent Italian restaurant. Though the prices are a little high and the interior is way outdated (late 70s, early 80s).

Old Posted Sep 6, 2013, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjhall View Post
No to be rude, but have you ever been to the market?

Italian?
Mezzanotte
Vittoria Trattoria
Sopra
Mangia
Stella
Mamma Grazzi
The Grand

Sushi?
Wasabi
Kinki
Hokkaido
SushiGo
Sushifresh
Sushizone

The market has it's problems, but restaurant variety ain't one of them. Good riddance to the dated, disgusting food and chain atmosphere of HRC. The space is nice, and will be better with just about anything inside.

Okay for sushi, I agree i did not know about much.. Only been to Kinki in the market and it was disgusting would not go there again..

As for Pasta, I knew of maybe half of these places but judging on the decor I always thought they were way too expensive... For example, a plate of pasta at Mezzanotte is like 25$ (add a glass of wine and tip and you are up to $40 for a meal). Me being a young professional/student can't always afford to pay $40 per meal... But have checked out Sopra and Vittoria on their website and they seem to offer lots of variety and plates around the 18-20$ range... I apologize, thanks for the suggestions

Old Posted Sep 6, 2013, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
Only been to Kinki in the market and it was disgusting would not go there again..
Be careful what you say about them, they may try to character assassinate you.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2013, 10:54 PM

If you want affordable high value, you have to go off the beaten path, you're note going to get that in he Byward market.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2013, 5:11 AM
Busy Beaver

For lunch, I usually head to Nicastro's for a cheap pasta fix. The small eatery in the back of the store usually serves up a daily special.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2014, 2:17 AM
National Capital Region

Old Posted May 13, 2014, 2:03 PM

Ottawa Senators to open Sens House Sports Bar and Grill in old Hard Rock location.

Quote:
OTTAWA - The Ottawa Senators (@Senators), along with York Entertainment, today announced the plans to open Sens House Sports Bar and Grill, a 5,000 square-foot, 250-seat restaurant located in the heart of Ottawa’s ByWard Market. The sports bar will be located on York Street, in second-floor space that previously housed the Hard Rock Café and will serve as the destination for Sens fans.

This partnership brings the Senators together with York Entertainment, a group renowned for their numerous successful establishments in the ByWard Market, including Fat Tuesday’s and Cornerstone Bar and Grill. Construction of the restaurant is currently underway, with the goal to officially open the doors to patrons in mid-June.

Sens House will offer an unparalleled entertainment experience, featuring a state-of-the-art retractable roof and 1,500 square-foot patio that will deliver one of the finest open-air dining environments in Ottawa during the summer months. The feature product of Sens House’s extensive menu will be old fashioned flat top burgers at great prices.

Senators fans will also be able to enjoy the best Molson Coors products as they watch every Senators game and major sporting event on best quality high-definition television screens in the market. The location will also feature an outlet that offers the newest Senators merchandise.
Link to Article
http://senators.nhl.com/club/news.ht...cmpid=rss-News

Old Posted May 13, 2014, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainView View Post
Ottawa Senators to open Sens House Sports Bar and Grill in old Hard Rock location.

Link to Article

This should be amazing, but reading between the lines sounds like it will be disappointing....sorta like Bert's bar at the arena.

Old Posted May 13, 2014, 3:30 PM

so then I guess these guys will only be on the first floor? http://www.facebook.com/LowertownBreweryOttawa

Old Posted May 13, 2014, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
so then I guess these guys will only be on the first floor? http://www.facebook.com/LowertownBreweryOttawa
Looks that way: http://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=362867

We will wait and see but it sounds like the only feature this has that is better than Real Sports is the Retractable Roof.

It seats less, the screen is smaller, etc..

Old Posted May 13, 2014, 4:19 PM

Quote:

Link to Article
Not sure why they didn't think of this before RealSports invaded the market (and the Market). It's definitely a natural fit, given that the arena is in God's country. The Flames have something similar, and their arena isn't nearly as far from downtown.

They do have their work cut out for them though. Real Sports is quite established, and the Senate Pub does a great job of countering the insipid Leaf presence on the sports bar scene. Sens House better have a really big TV screen.

Old Posted May 13, 2014, 5:01 PM

I don't think they will have any trouble filling the place. Weird to have 2 restaurants in a fairly small building. Wonder how they will fit merchandising in there.

Old Posted May 13, 2014, 5:16 PM

I'm hoping it will be something similar to FlamesCentral in Calgary. I've been there a few times and it's a great atmosphere especially during games. They have a 30ft HD screen and great acoustics so it sort of feels like you're at the game but really you aren't. They also host live music, like gigs and DJs, in the late evenings (10pm-2am). Doubt Ottawa will do anything like this but they could consider it. There are TVs everywhere and they have cool booth seating that rise above each other so you can always see the TV. I think it's bigger than the Hard Rock site but in order to compete with RS across the street they'll have to do something different then what RS offers.

For the curious - check out the virtual arena at FlamesCentral
http://www.flamescentral.com/virtual_arena.php

Old Posted May 13, 2014, 5:21 PM

Quote:
I'm hoping it will be something similar to FlamesCentral in Calgary. I've been there a few times and it's a great atmosphere especially during games. They have a 30ft HD screen and great acoustics so it sort of feels like you're at the game but really you aren't. They also host live music, like gigs and DJs, in the late evenings (10pm-2am). Doubt Ottawa will do anything like this but they could consider it. There are TVs everywhere and they have cool booth seating that rise above each other so you can always see the TV. I think it's bigger than the Hard Rock site but in order to compete with RS across the street they'll have to do something different then what RS offers.

For the curious - check out the virtual arena at FlamesCentral
http://www.flamescentral.com/virtual_arena.php
Not positive, but my impression when I was there was the FlamesCentral was built in an old theatre. Not too many of those left in Ottawa. Which is too bad, because I agree, that is a great place to watch a game. You want it to be the next best thing to being in the arena.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation