HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Oct 27, 2007, 8:44 AM

Sens army HQ

Welcome to the sens army HQ. This thread is for Ottawa hockey lovers and sinners everywhere to debate, praise, and suggest changes to the team we know and love.

To start this off, who should be between the pipes come playoff time, assuming the stats don't change too much come springtime?

Old Posted Oct 28, 2007, 6:25 PM

I think we have to go with Ray Emery. He has shown us nothing but solid play (and a couple injuries) since his entrance into the league. That's more than can be said for Gerber, who has had a few major stretches of mediocrity. Nonetheless, Gerber played well last night and it's gonna be a tough decision in the end. I don't think it matters who starts. The Sens seem to play amazing as long as they have confidence in their goalie.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2007, 4:13 AM
R2-D2's army of death

Woo! Kicked some Devil ass!!!

I gotta say, not a good way to open your new home.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2007, 1:29 PM
Melissa: fabulous.

It's way too early to make this call.

That said, we absolutely should NOT go back to Emery 'just because'. Gerber is playing extremely well and in doing so has earned back the #1 position. He has stolen the job from Emery and now it's his job to lose (or perhaps it is Emery's to win back).

Either way, this is a very good problem to have. Two goaltenders who are playing well (Emery only played once but performed well in that game), each of them fighting for the #1 job.

I say don't change a thing. Let the goalies answer this question for us.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2007, 6:08 PM

I agree, Emery needs to earn his way back to first string in my opinion.

BTW what's up with the schedule? Specifically why does it suck? 2 games in thirteen days... I'm having difficulty sleeping at night and losing weight.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2007, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajldub View Post
I agree, Emery needs to earn his way back to first string in my opinion.

BTW what's up with the schedule? Specifically why does it suck? 2 games in thirteen days... I'm having difficulty sleeping at night and losing weight.
I hear you, it's killing me. I was working in Niagara Falls for the last month and only got 2 Sens games, both against the Leafs. Now, I come home, and they're never playing.....and when they are, it's not on TV. Now I might have to resort to doing something productive.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2007, 5:53 PM
Artist

I cant beleive they are showing us Leafs Games instead of Ottawa Games on Hockey Night In Canada...
Who in the hell watches Leafs games anyways?

Old Posted Oct 31, 2007, 9:47 PM
R2-D2's army of death

The Righteous Leafs Nation.

Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2007, 10:04 PM

We're on CBC National on Saturday though!

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 2:27 PM

Should be an interesting game against the struggling Thrashers tonight. You can't discount talent like Hossa and Kovalchuk, but the Sens better put them to bed tonight. Atlanta have no D and Montreal should have burried them the other night. Instead, they took the night off. We won't make the same mistake.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 9:27 AM

Whoa that was too close. Last night was a great reason why if I had to trade one goalie it would be Emery. But hey, two points is two points. I can't help but miss Hossa every time he takes to the ice...

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 2:58 PM

I wonder if they will trade Emery?? You know who's gonna pick him up don't you? The Leafs. It would be a shame if we had to face our old #1 8 times a season. I need to see a few more games on TV to get an idea if Gerber is the real deal this season. On a different note, what's with John Paddock's shirt/tie combination last night? He really needs a stylist or something, that was awful.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 3:01 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Why are people suddenly talking about trading Emery?!

Good God people, the man helped lead us through the playoffs when Hasek pulled his groin, and he was just the backup at that point! He also helped get us to the Stanley Cup Finals last season.

He's had wrist surgery, and has only played 2 AHL games and now 2 NHL games.

Now there's already trade talks amongst the fans?! Good God, talk about ruthless...

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Now there's already trade talks amongst the fans?! Good God, talk about ruthless...
I like Emery, but 2 of the 4 goals last night went right through him. I'm not jumping on the trade bandwagon yet, but he better sharpen up after a few games. We're gonna have to make a decision eventually.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 3:45 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
We're gonna have to make a decision eventually.
Yeah, but that decision doesn't have to be trade talks!

Make Gerber #1 and Emery #2. Simple.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaican-Phoenix View Post
Yeah, but that decision doesn't have to be trade talks!

Make Gerber #1 and Emery #2. Simple.
I get your point, but we can't afford to pay two multi-million dollar goalie salaries. We have Spezza's contract to deal with this year, another player who it is rumoured that Toronto is eyeing.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 5:05 PM

Agreed Otown. Having two cadillac goalies takes up a lot of cap room. I don't think keeping them both on the payroll at current wages is sustainable in the long run - don't get me wrong, I'd love to see them both stay...

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 5:16 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Ditch Redden, keep Razor Ray and Spezza.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 5:19 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Update: We just inked Spezza.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=221972&hubname=

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaican-Phoenix View Post
Maybe he wasn't actually hurt last night but, instead, deep in the throngs of contract negotiation. Good for him and the Sens though. This team is looking like a dynasty waiting to happen. Sens vs. Wings in the final this year! If that was the case last year, we would have won the cup; the Ducks were a bad match for our team.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation