HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Oct 20, 2019, 2:49 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Those going 120kmh can still be ticketed, no?
120 km/h in 110 km/h zone?

I’ve heard this from a friend’s friend, whose friend’s dad is an OPP officer: A cop will get laughed at by the colleagues for ticketing people for less than 20 km/h over.

This is not the Praires or Atlantic Canada; cops aren’t gonna ticket you for 10 km/h over.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2019, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
120 km/h in 110 km/h zone?

I’ve heard this from a friend’s friend, whose friend’s dad is an OPP officer: A cop will get laughed at by the colleagues for ticketing people for less than 20 km/h over.

This is not the Praires or Atlantic Canada; cops aren’t gonna ticket you for 10 km/h over.
There's also the thought that with these new 110 pilot tests, that 130 isn't going to be the new 120 either. That the OPP isn't going to be as easy on 20 over when you are already at that higher speed limit. I don't have any first hand experience or sightings of this, as I only drive in the 110 section of the 402 in London for a couple miles before my exit.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2019, 11:27 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
There's also the thought that with these new 110 pilot tests, that 130 isn't going to be the new 120 either. That the OPP isn't going to be as easy on 20 over when you are already at that higher speed limit. I don't have any first hand experience or sightings of this, as I only drive in the 110 section of the 402 in London for a couple miles before my exit.
I certainly welcomed the pilot study with a very different mindset then, and the driving experience made me realize that I’m definitely in the minority here.

For me, pushing the speed limit to 110 km/h is like allowing people to go at 130 km/h. For reasons unbeknownst to me, I always think the 20% rule will always apply. In fact, that’s why I think the speed limit should be raised to 110 km/h but no more. (I don’t wanna see people going 145 km/h in a 120 km/h zone.) Maybe not that many people go 130 km/h outside of GTA, but inside GTHA that’s not an uncommon speed.

For the record, when I was going at 132 km/h, I did see a white ford taurus parked at the U turn spot facing me. When I saw it, I went “ô merde”* and dropped my speed immediately (to 118 km/h). It was likely that the cop got my 130+ km/h speed before I saw her, but she didn’t come after me.

* Please don’t ask me why I was even speaking French to myself.

Anyway, now that I realized I’m in the minority, I don’t wanna be ideological about it. Get HFR up and running, and we don’t even have to drive anymore.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 9:15 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Ontario permanently raising speed limits on some highway sections 110 km/h on April 22
Transportation Minister Caroline Mulroney made the announcement Tuesday in Tilbury, Ont.

CBC News
Posted: Mar 29, 2022 9:06 AM ET | Last Updated: 11 minutes ago

Ontario is permanently increasing the speed limits on some sections of certain southern Ontario highways from 100 to 110 kilometres an hour next month, in line with several other provinces.

Transportation Minister Caroline Mulroney made the announcement on Tuesday during a media event in Tilbury in southwestern Ontario.

The change follows several speed-limit pilots and consultations, the government says.

The higher speed limits on the following sections of highway will start April 22:
  • The Queen Elizabeth Way from Hamilton to St. Catharines.
  • Highway 402 from London to Sarnia.
  • Highway 417 from Ottawa to the Quebec border.
  • Highway 401 from Windsor to Tilbury.
  • Highway 404 from Newmarket to Woodbine.
  • Highway 417 from Kanata to Arnprior.

In addition, Mulroney said, the province is launching a pilot project on two sections of highway in northern Ontario. The speed limits on Highway 400 from MacTier to Nobel, and Highway 11 from Emsdale to South River will go from 100 to 110 km/h on April 22 as well.

"We know how important it is that families travelling to get their kids to sporting events, and businesses looking to transport their goods, can get where they need to go more quickly and safely," Mulroney said.

The province of Ontario said two years ago that 80 per cent of people who responded to a survey about the pilot project supported it.

The Ontario government says the other provinces that have also posted speed limits of 110 km/h on select segments of certain highways are Alberta, Manitoba, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Saskatchewan and British Columbia.

Mulroney said Ontario chose the sections of highway based on several factors, including their ability to handle higher speeds.

"As always, safety is at the forefront of our work," she said. "We will continue to monitor the operations and safety performance on all sections where the speed limit is increased to 110 kilometres per hour.

"And we will work with the OPP [Ontario Provincial Police] to guide our efforts to safely implement the speed limit with enhanced signage."

Mulroney said transport trucks will still be limited to 105 km/h.

With files from The Canadian Press

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamil...-110-1.6400919

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 9:26 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Probably not coincidentally, today I received my License Plate Sticker Refund from the Ontario Ministry of Transportation.

Can you smell the election coming?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 10:01 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

I can.
110 kph on 417 west of Highway 7 until Arnprior makes sense to me regardless.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2022, 3:40 AM

Quote:
I can.
110 kph on 417 west of Highway 7 until Arnprior makes sense to me regardless.
Yeah 130 easily a safe speed on these parts. A true 100 probably sufficient inside the city which is the problem with our artificially low speed limits. If you want to avoid tickets best to go fast from the split to 416 and then slow down as speed traps will arrive. That is ass backwards.

It is bald faced electioneering but seems to be working.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2022, 11:40 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Highway 417 speed limits increase to 110 km/h, but advocate says it's not enough
Tuesday's announcement did not include a number of 400-series highways, including Highway 416, which stretches from Ottawa to Highway 401 just east of Prescott.

Joanne Laucius, Ottawa Citizen
Publishing date: Mar 30, 2022 • 1 hour ago • 3 minute read

Speed limits will be permanently increased to 110 km/hr on some stretches of highway, including Highway 417 from Arnprior to Ottawa and from Ottawa east to the Ontario-Quebec border.

The decision to increase speed limits on some four-lane divided highways was made after Ontario ran a two-year pilot project. The new speed limit will now align with speed limits in other jurisdictions across Canada.

“Our government continues to find new ways to make life easier and more convenient for families and businesses that depend on highways to get where they need to go,” Minister of Transportation Caroline Mulroney said in a statement on Tuesday.

“With road safety top of mind, these sections have been carefully selected based on their ability to accommodate higher speed limits.”

Chris Klimek, the founder of Stop100.ca, which has advocated for higher speed limits on some highways, was disappointed on two fronts. Klimek wanted to see the speed limits increased even more. He also wanted the limits to be increased on more four-lane divided highways.

“The government did not go far enough,” Klimek said. “We have state-of-the-art highways. It’s a travesty we’re not letting people use the highways the way they have been intended to be used.”

Klimek has been calling on for speed limits to be increased to 120 km/h on all metropolitan 400-series highways — with the exception of hazardous stretches, such as sharp turns — as well as limits of 130 km/h on all 400-series highways outside metropolitan areas.

He points out that Tuesday’s announcement did not include a number of 400-series highways, including Highway 416, which stretches from Ottawa to Highway 401 just east of Prescott.

Klimek argues that most people drive at the speed they feel safe and comfortable with, which is typically about 120 km/h on well-designed four-lane highways. Just because the speed limit has been increased to 110 km/h does not means that people will start driving at 140 km/h, he said.

“This was supposed to allow drivers to commute the way highways were designed to be used. Engineers designed these highways to be perfectly safe to drive at 120.”

Lower speed limits force drivers to look over their shoulders for police, he said.

“Why should safe drivers be considered lawbreakers? This has failed to address that. I’m stressed out on the highway because i feel I have been turned into a lawbreaker.”

A provincial pilot project to increase speeds to 110 km/h was announced in March 2020. It included increasing speed limits on three sections of 400-series highway, including a 102-kilometre stretch of Highway 417 from Gloucester east to the Ontario-Quebec border.

At the time, six provinces had posted speeds of 110 km/h or higher on certain highways. In British Columbia, speed limit increases stirred up controversy after the release of a 2018 University of British Columbia study found the number of fatal crashes had doubled on stretches where the speed limit was raised to 120 km/h in 2014.

A survey of more 8,300 Ontario residents in September 2019 found that 80 per cent supported the pilot project and 82 per cent supported an increase to speed limits on more sections of 400-series highways.

Pierre Leroux is the mayor of Russell Township, where many commuters use a stretch of Highway 417 that was part of the province’s pilot project.

Leroux said he had heard nothing either good or bad about increasing the speed limit by 10 kilometres per hour.

“I have never heard any complaints about speeding. I think we have to consider that vehicles are better equipped to handle higher speeds. It depends on what people feel comfortable with,” he said.

“I think that telecommuting has had a bigger impact than increasing the speed limit.”

Higher speeds are legal in about 60 countries and U.S. states, Klimek said.

“Why are we being criminalized for driving like people in Austria or Norway?” said Klimek, who has lived in Europe and often drives in the United States.

“They didn’t look at scientific global data.”

As of April 22, the speed limit will be raised permanently on the following sections of highway in Ontario:

• a 102-kilometre stretch of Highway 417 from Ottawa to the Ontario/Quebec border
• a 37-kilometre stretch from Highway 417 from Kanata to Arnprior
• a 32-kilometre stretch of Queen Elizabeth Way (QEW) from Hamilton to St. Catharines
• a 90-kilometre stretch of Highway 402 from London to Sarn
• a 40-kilometre stretch of Highway 401 from Windsor to Tilbury
• a 16-kilometre stretch of Highway 404 from Newmarket to Woodbine

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...its-not-enough

Old Posted Mar 30, 2022, 11:47 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

It does strike me as odd that 416’s completely left out. Is it due to wildlife risk? Anecdotally, though, there aren’t many, if any, so to speak.

Then it also begs the question: With today’s gas price, does anyone really wanna go fast (except those with need for speed)?

As for 417 through downtown, what we need is for MTO to start playing with electronic variable speed limits like MTQ has been doing in Québec City. That should do wonders.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2022, 1:12 PM

Quote:
It does strike me as odd that 416’s completely left out. Is it due to wildlife risk? Anecdotally, though, there aren’t many, if any, so to speak.

Then it also begs the question: With today’s gas price, does anyone really wanna go fast (except those with need for speed)?

As for 417 through downtown, what we need is for MTO to start playing with electronic variable speed limits like MTQ has been doing in Québec City. That should do wonders.
I wonder about that too. 416 is so empty these days.

I guess it is how you define fast. 90kmh is ideal speed for some smaller engines but it's rare to see someone drive less than 100 or even 105. Vast majority drive 120 regardless of 110 or 100 limit. Larger engines are pretty efficient towards 120.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2022, 1:36 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
That's a good question.

The 416 is a fairly recent highway so I'd assume it has at least some wildlife control built into its design like modern fencing, no?

The 417 is a much older highway and I think probably has more wildlife issues as it passes close to (if not through) the Larose Forest which has a lot of moose. And moose also venture outside the forest itself into wooded and agricultural areas all over that part of Eastern Ontario.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2022, 1:38 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:

There should also be electronic variable speed limit signs on the 417 that can lower the limit in case of inclement weather.

AFAIK as well, there are very few road weather information stations along the 417 to provide that type of data.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2022, 1:42 PM

Quote:
We were driving northbound at night somewhere south of Kemptville a number of years ago and a deer crossed the road from the central wooded area and I had to hit the brakes etc. Scared the crap out of me and woke up the rest of the family who were dozing at the time.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2022, 2:54 PM

Fun fact: the time you save by going +10km/h on a highway, you'll spend at the pump pumping that extra gas you've burnt by going +10km/h on a highway.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2022, 3:08 PM

This whole exercise was a complete waste of time and money. It won't change anything. People will continue to drive, and police will continue to tolerate, 120-130.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2022, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzptichka View Post
Fun fact: the time you save by going +10km/h on a highway, you'll spend at the pump pumping that extra gas you've burnt by going +10km/h on a highway.
My thoughts exactly.

Do police really tolerate 130? That seems high.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2022, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
My thoughts exactly.

Between the Ottawa border and Quebec, I feel like yes, but I could be wrong. Nonetheless, that does seem to be the going speed.

On the Queensway and the 416 (at least through Ottawa), 120 seems to be what's tolerated. Plenty of OPP hiding along the 416.

Much of the 174 (City owned) has been lowered to 80 due to Stage 2 construction, but people seem to continue to drive 110-120 in the fast lane. No cops to be found cause, you know, OPS.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2022, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Between the Ottawa border and Quebec, I feel like yes, but I could be wrong. Nonetheless, that does seem to be the going speed.

On the Queensway and the 416 (at least through Ottawa), 120 seems to be what's tolerated. Plenty of OPP hiding along the 416.

Much of the 174 (City owned) has been lowered to 80 due to Stage 2 construction, but people seem to continue to drive 110-120 in the fast lane. No cops to be found cause, you know, OPS.
Yeah, no doubt about 120 generally, and the lower construction zone limits seem to have no discernible impact on traffic speeds.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2022, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
My thoughts exactly.

I drive every single day in the left lane of the Queensway with my adaptive cruise control set at 129. Car will go that fast if no one else around, otherwise adjusts to surrounding traffic. Been doing this for 10+ years and NEVER received a speeding ticket on the 417. So, yes, 120 is tolerated.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2022, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzptichka View Post
I guess you are joking but of course this is not a fact.

Everyone has a definition of the correct speed which incidentally is also detrimental to road safety. You probably drive 115? and imagine 125 is in a rush and wasting gas? Well those going 105 and even 95 have the same arguments. Now it's a full hour faster at 125 to Toronto over 100. And sure an hour isn't the end of the world but why not just drive 80 on divided highways by that measure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
This whole exercise was a complete waste of time and money. It won't change anything. People will continue to drive, and police will continue to tolerate, 120-130.
Well in a 110 zone 129 will certainly be "tolerated". Otherwise it is possible to get a ticket above 125 in a 100 zone if rare. I would guess 132 might get you a ticket in both cases. It seems the 110 zones rarely have speed traps. Maybe that will change if they become widespread but I imagine there will be a discernable decrease in revenue.

It would be nice if we had real speed limits and enforced them. Getting on the 417 at Nicholas and driving 110 to Parkdale is probably more reckless than even 140 on a clear dry day on the 417 past Castleman.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation