HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 9, 2023, 3:12 AM
recession proof

I've noticed people sleeping in their cars both on my street in Toronto and now, Waterloo wow.

My local Unitarian Congregation supports these tent cities. What I'd like to see is the homeless colonizing empty land across Canada, eventually leading to new pioneer settlements.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2023, 3:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
What I'd like to see is the homeless colonizing empty land across Canada, eventually leading to new pioneer settlements.
Not sure the hinterland meth industry will support colonisation like lumber and farming did, but that's why you're the urban dreamer

Old Posted Oct 12, 2023, 3:35 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Progress! Heat sensors for customers with guns at Yorkdale mall in Toronto.

https://twitter.com/6ixbuzztv/status...80579504267679

Old Posted Oct 13, 2023, 10:57 AM

From CBC NS:
Tents in Halifax's Grand Parade prompt rethink of public gatherings

Quote:
Nova Scotia's homeless crisis is prompting changes around one of Halifax's largest outdoor venues due to a large tent city that has appeared in the Grand Parade, usually the scene of many large public gatherings.

This weekend marks the 41st annual Nova Scotia Fallen Peace Officers Memorial Service and the ceremony is being moved to RCMP Headquarter in the Burnside Industrial Park in Dartmouth, N.S.

Halifax officials are also looking ahead to Remembrance Day and hoping to have the Grand Parade clear of tents by then. Homeless encampments have sprung up in parks across the country due to a lack of deeply affordable housing.
Quote:
"We're having discussions about how do we best do Remembrance Day, because of the importance in the city and the importance as a city that honours veterans and particularly honours those who made the ultimate sacrifice," Savage said.

Things continue to slip... I have to say I've never seen things as bad as they've become now. If somebody told me 20 years ago that there would be homeless people living in tents in Halifax's most prominent downtown public space I wouldn't have believed it. But this is where we are now...

Also:
N.S. announces two pilot projects to reduce homelessness

Quote:
The provincial government announced two new projects aimed at combating homelessness in Nova Scotia on Wednesday, the day before the fall sitting of the legislature.

The province is building its first "tiny home community" on Cobequid Road in Lower Sackville, according to a news release. It will have 52 units to provide housing for about 62 people. Thirty units will be move-in ready by next summer, while the entire community is expected to be complete a year from now.

And...
Tiny Home Community for People Experiencing Homelessness

Quote:
This pilot community will have 52 units, providing housing for about 62 people. The project is a collaboration between the provincial and municipal governments and Nova Scotian companies The Shaw Group and Dexter Construction, part of the Municipal Group. The community will be built on surplus land belonging to HRM in Lower Sackville.
Quote:
Rent will be geared to income, which means that rent will be no more than 30 per cent of a person’s income. Community residents will be selected from the HRM By Name List and will receive the wraparound support they need to help them connect to employment and more permanent housing.

It is anticipated that 30 units will be complete by next spring, and people will be in them next summer. The community will be complete by next fall. If successful, similar communities may be created in other areas of HRM and across the province.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2023, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post
Before 2022, there was little acknowledgement outside of forums like this one or reddit that housing was becoming unaffordable. The Liberals ran a campaign ad in 2021 about how successful they were at keeping housing affordable, and no one batted an eye. The family shown in the video was living in a single family home that would have cost millions of dollars at the time. Even on this forum there were posters arguing the same. Some of them still do, but thankfully they're becoming increasingly rare.

Now there's wide consensus that there is a problem, but hardly anyone is willing to acknowledge that what we're doing is wholly insufficient to address it. We need to triple housing completions each year to keep up pace with demand, but no one has come out with a plan to tell us how we're going to be doing this or if not how far off the mark we're going to be. As long as we keep applauding politicians each time they make announce (and re-announce) some form of tinkering, there isn't going to be any serious progress on this front. Moves like removing the GST on rental housing and the Housing Accelerator are good in a vacuum, but amount to little in the big picture.
I believe to an extent the perception prior to 2022 was that the housing crisis was a local issue in Toronto and Vancouver and not a national issue. I remember there being news stories back in 2018 and 2019 about housing unaffordability in Toronto and Vancouver, but it wasn't really a national concern back then - affordability was much better in Montreal, Calgary, Halifax, or London, and I remember even in the year or two prior to the pandemic there was already a trickle of people relocating from Toronto to London to escape high housing costs. I remember I was considering a move back to London in 2018 and at the time there were numerous 1-bedroom apartment listings there for under $1,000, while Toronto by that point was approaching $2,000.

London, for its part, did have homeless back in 2018 but it was nothing like it is nowadays.

Even in the Vancouver area back then, it was mostly a City of Vancouver (and to some extent, Burnaby) issue and not Metro Vancouver. When I was researching living costs in Metro Vancouver in 2019 in anticipation of moving here for good, Surrey and New West were considerably cheaper than Vancouver, and were also considerably cheaper than any of the GTA, save for Scarborough. I know someone who bought a condo in Surrey in 2018-19 and paid about $300,000, very close to Guildford Town Centre. In the end I was able to get a rental that today is well below market value; if I ever had to move and didn't have a partner to move in with, I'd likely have to leave BC entirely and move to Edmonton or Winnipeg to have a similar cost of living.

Last edited by manny_santos; Oct 13, 2023 at 9:20 PM.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2023, 5:41 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
I believe to an extent the perception prior to 2022 was that the housing crisis was a local issue in Toronto and Vancouver and not a national issue. I remember there being news stories back in 2018 and 2019 about housing unaffordability in Toronto and Vancouver, but it wasn't really a national concern back then - affordability was much better in Montreal, Calgary, Halifax, or London, and I remember even in the year or two prior to the pandemic there was already a trickle of people relocating from Toronto to London to escape high housing costs. I remember I was considering a move back to London in 2018 and at the time there were numerous 1-bedroom apartment listings there for under $1,000, while Toronto by that point was approaching $2,000.
That thinking was very facepalm inducing. There was some affordability deterioration in a lot of places and Vancouver and Toronto kept getting worse. There's not much "depth" to the real estate market in Canada; it takes few dollars to make places like London expensive compared to Toronto. Of course the federal government threw gasoline on the fire with their fiscal and immigration policy, but the process was already happening.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2023, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
That thinking was very facepalm inducing. There was some affordability deterioration in a lot of places and Vancouver and Toronto kept getting worse. There's not much "depth" to the real estate market in Canada; it takes few dollars to make places like London expensive compared to Toronto. Of course the federal government threw gasoline on the fire with their fiscal and immigration policy, but the process was already happening.
Whatever effects large cities like Vancouver and Toronto will eventually spill over into the rest of Canada as people get pushed out of the larger cities. They'll drive up housing costs wherever they end up.

I can literally pinpoint when I first pointed out in 2011 how our housing market was being distorted. For that I was called racist and confronted by an unbelievable level of denialism which still exists.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2023, 6:34 PM

Quote:
If anything that lack of depth reflects how tight supply has always been in Canadian cities. I recall someone posting an article about how there were housing crises in the interwar or postwar period (can’t remember). It seems to be a function of the Canadian economy to only build “just enough” housing, so any rapid shift in demand causes big problems because there’s no capacity to absorb it anywhere. Even cities where logically there should be lots of cheaper housing available, like mid-sized Ontario cities (Hamilton, London, Windsor) where economic stagnation took root in some, have seen the same cost growth. Each has its own factors, but clearly housing costs are not scaling in proportion with economic growth- it’s as if there is never excess anywhere by virtue of how we have always built housing. It’s as if housing supply delivery is fixed and not at all tied to economic growth; it is merely delivered by a sector made up of the same players with the same capacity, and we are seeing only growing demand for their work with no scaling in the industry to match. This is not new, this is clearly how the economy has worked for nearly 50 years or whenever housing starts plateaued.

As much of an impact as YIMBYist policies can have, and as impactful lowering immigration might be, both of these seem to orbit around the real issue of (not) being able to increase housing starts. It doesn’t matter how many types of housing units you can build if you can’t actually build more of them in a shorter timeframe (ie, faster!). Frankly we should have tackled this a long time ago because it’s a labour issue, and if we start now it will take years to find equilibrium. Unless we import cheap construction workers like the US, but we don’t have the luxury of having a nation like Mexico nearby where the market drives it under the table. Legality and morality aside, it has clearly allowed development to scale much better in the southern US.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2023, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikevbar1 View Post
If anything that lack of depth reflects how tight supply has always been in Canadian cities. I recall someone posting an article about how there were housing crises in the interwar or postwar period (can’t remember). It seems to be a function of the Canadian economy to only build “just enough” housing, so any rapid shift in demand causes big problems because there’s no capacity to absorb it anywhere. Even cities where logically there should be lots of cheaper housing available, like mid-sized Ontario cities (Hamilton, London, Windsor) where economic stagnation took root in some, have seen the same cost growth. Each has its own factors, but clearly housing costs are not scaling in proportion with economic growth- it’s as if there is never excess anywhere by virtue of how we have always built housing. It’s as if housing supply delivery is fixed and not at all tied to economic growth; it is merely delivered by a sector made up of the same players with the same capacity, and we are seeing only growing demand for their work with no scaling in the industry to match. This is not new, this is clearly how the economy has worked for nearly 50 years or whenever housing starts plateaued.

As much of an impact as YIMBYist policies can have, and as impactful lowering immigration might be, both of these seem to orbit around the real issue of (not) being able to increase housing starts. It doesn’t matter how many types of housing units you can build if you can’t actually build more of them in a shorter timeframe (ie, faster!). Frankly we should have tackled this a long time ago because it’s a labour issue, and if we start now it will take years to find equilibrium. Unless we import cheap construction workers like the US, but we don’t have the luxury of having a nation like Mexico nearby where the market drives it under the table. Legality and morality aside, it has clearly allowed development to scale much better in the southern US.
I don't think either of these are true (the difference in outcomes or the reasons you've cited for the differences).

Since 2015, the Americans have built anywhere from 800k (2015) to 1.15 million (2022) housing units annually. We had 250k completions in 2022 which would have us building roughly twice the amount of housing per capita annually compared to the Americans. Statcan is glitchy and isn't letting me pull up past data at the moment, but from third party sources it appears this trend has true for quite some time.

Our NPR/TFW/International labour pool is also larger than the pool of illegal immigrants and NPRs in the USA proportionately(2.2 million NPRs in Canada 2022 vs 12.7 million illegal immigrants and NPRs combined in the USA in 2017). The American numbers are older, but they have not seen a significant increase in their foreign born population since that time so the comparison likely holds true today. The share of foreigners in the us housing construction industry is also dwindling. If the makeup of our immigrant labour market is the issue this is pretty clearly a policy failure since the Canadian public has shown in the last few years that it has no problem exploiting this segment of the population.

If this country has a shortage of skilled labour then we need to be bringing in people with those skills that are in shortage, rather than our current policy of bringing in a million business students a year. I suspect the reason we don't do this is because we simply aren't competitive at attracting people with desirable skills, so we take the consolation prize of economic growth through real estate and a ballooning post secondary education industry. If there is a shortage here, then its likely there is a shortage world wide and Canada does not seem to be a desirable place for people with in-demand skills to go to.

Last edited by theman23; Oct 14, 2023 at 9:24 PM.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2023, 9:27 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
If this country has a shortage of skilled labour then we need to be bringing in people with those skills that are in shortage, rather than our current policy of bringing in a million business students a year. I suspect the reason we don't do this is because we simply aren't competitive at attracting people with desirable skills, so we take the consolation prize of economic growth through real estate and a ballooning post secondary education industry. If there is a shortage here, then its likely there is a shortage world wide and Canada does not seem to be a desirable place for people with in-demand skills to go to.
If there is a labour mismatch it's actively harmful and self-reinforcing as the immigrants demand more than they supply, costs go up, and Canada becomes even less attractive to would-be skilled immigrants. This applies to both housing and healthcare. When you bring in a significant portion of the total population each year the impact of the quality of your selection process basically determines how your country will look in a few years.

I think we're on a trajectory that looks a bit like a line between 2012 Canada and a Latin American country like Brazil. It would be possible to course-correct but there's been so little adjustment so far despite major multi-year problems and in many ways the world is becoming tougher to deal with rather than easier.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2023, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Whatever effects large cities like Vancouver and Toronto will eventually spill over into the rest of Canada as people get pushed out of the larger cities. They'll drive up housing costs wherever they end up.

I can literally pinpoint when I first pointed out in 2011 how our housing market was being distorted. For that I was called racist and confronted by an unbelievable level of denialism which still exists.
The one poster who really didn’t like your take on Vancouver’s housing market (Zassk) hasn’t posted on SSP since 2018. I’d be very curious about his opinion now.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2023, 10:10 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
The one poster who really didn’t like your take on Vancouver’s housing market (Zassk) hasn’t posted on SSP since 2018. I’d be very curious about his opinion now.
It has and had a gaslighting feel if you live in this area. In the no foreign buyers era we had sky-high prices on strange properties, very permissive immigration schemes and tax loopholes, Chinese real estate ads everywhere, and then the Huawei lady of course owned a multimillion dollar portfolio of real estate with a complicated ownership and immigration status history. I'm pretty sure a bunch of people insinuated or said Andy Yan (SFU urban planning prof) was racist against Asians due to, well, mostly data. There was also the duffle bags of cash at the airport casino story and the admission that while they may fill out money laundering forms nothing is done.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2023, 12:52 AM
Community Guy

Good to see Calgary taking a more direct and concerted effort to address and improve transit safety.

https://newsroom.calgary.ca/city-cou...fety-strategy/

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Oct 19, 2023, 7:44 PM
video et taceo

Not to bite New Hampshire too hard, but "Live Free* And Die" is one idea for a new national slogan.

(* in the park)

Canada Will Legalize Medically Assisted Dying For People Addicted to Drugs

https://www.vice.com/en/article/4a3b...icenewstwitter

Old Posted Oct 20, 2023, 2:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
Not to bite New Hampshire too hard, but "Live Free* And Die" is one idea for a new national slogan.

(* in the park)

Canada Will Legalize Medically Assisted Dying For People Addicted to Drugs

https://www.vice.com/en/article/4a3b...icenewstwitter
This has been a liberal pet project that was supposed to come into effect last year, but got put on hold for a year to allow "consultation". Very disheartening to see that they're still going forward with it. Not in the least bit surprising unfortunately, since we already euthanize people for not being able to afford adequate housing.

This is probably going to be the best example of when the slippery slope fallacy ended up being correct. When MAID was sold to the public, it was supposed to be soley for terminal conditions and involve a 10-day cooling off period. Both those conditions have been quietly removed for some time. The year of consultation to allow the expansion of MAID to mental health disorders will likely also bring rules and guidelines that will soon be discarded. This is a red line that shouldn't be crossed.

It's going to be bizarre to be seeing suicidal patients admitted under mental health certifications only to have them die a few days later because they learned they could qualify for medical assistance in dying while in the hospital.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2023, 7:31 PM

Quote:
This has been a liberal pet project that was supposed to come into effect last year, but got put on hold for a year to allow "consultation". Very disheartening to see that they're still going forward with it. Not in the least bit surprising unfortunately, since we already euthanize people for not being able to afford adequate housing.

This is probably going to be the best example of when the slippery slope fallacy ended up being correct. When MAID was sold to the public, it was supposed to be soley for terminal conditions and involve a 10-day cooling off period. Both those conditions have been quietly removed for some time. The year of consultation to allow the expansion of MAID to mental health disorders will likely also bring rules and guidelines that will soon be discarded. This is a red line that shouldn't be crossed.

It's going to be bizarre to be seeing suicidal patients admitted under mental health certifications only to have them die a few days later because they learned they could qualify for medical assistance in dying while in the hospital.
There were a lot of people who were expressing concerns about these exact things, the slippery slope. They were dismissed as "religious nutjobs".

You do not need to have any religious affiliation or belief to understand the problems with these newer types of assisted dying that go outside the scope of what was originally promised.

Last edited by manny_santos; Oct 20, 2023 at 7:45 PM.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2023, 7:40 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Friends I know abroad are telling me that people in certain circles are talking a lot about Canada and MAID.

It's not generally positive for us.

Don't we have a committee also studying extending the procedure to minors in certain circumstances?

It's like we've become the proving ground for a lot of borderline stuff.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2023, 8:12 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

It closes the loop on the "landed gentry" and fake student TFW plan. What do you do with all the excess people who don't already own and aren't happy about living standards approaching those of the immigration source countries? MAID! Eventually you end up with a nice harmonious situation like Qatar where there are a few rich citizens who don't have to worry as much about the underclass because it has been disenfranchised. This would be A Modest Proposal for 2020's Canada.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2023, 8:14 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
It closes the loop on the "landed gentry" and fake student TFW plan. What do you do with all the excess people who don't already own and aren't happy about living standards approaching those of the immigration source countries? MAID! Eventually you end up with a nice harmonious situation like Qatar where there are a few rich citizens who don't have to worry as much about the underclass because it has been disenfranchised.
That's not even funny because, well... I think you why it isn't.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2023, 8:16 PM
sick transit, gloria

On a similar dark and somewhat ironic note, my 95 year old grandmother who was in hospice for almost a year and repeated "I want to die" every day that entire time wasn't granted the option because she wasn't considered of sound mind to make that decision. This was last year.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada