HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 2:35 AM

For what it's worth, at the moment I am very, very seriously considering this building...

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 12:42 PM

I have looked into it as well. It looks like a great building!

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfx_chris View Post
For what it's worth, at the moment I am very, very seriously considering this building...
and would you then be 'Dartmouth_Chris' ?
or maybe even 'DDT_Chris' JET

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 9:10 PM

Well actually I live in Dartmouth now... the "hfx" in my name comes from the fact I use the same name on other non-local forums, and not too many people from outside of this country, let alone province, would know where Dartmouth is

Old Posted Apr 2, 2010, 12:53 PM

He needs to change it to "darkside_chris"...

Old Posted Apr 2, 2010, 4:21 PM

Old Posted Apr 2, 2010, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
It's the darkside to those who are not enlightened, and we find that it's better to keep them in the dark JET

Old Posted Apr 2, 2010, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZET View Post
It's the darkside to those who are not enlightened, and we find that it's better to keep them in the dark JET
High five sir!

Old Posted Apr 3, 2010, 2:36 AM

Old Posted Apr 5, 2010, 10:58 AM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Old Posted Apr 5, 2010, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
or de backside jugin' from prtland street

Old Posted Apr 9, 2010, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Well, I had a walk through a few units tonight.
Here's my thoughts on this development.

It's extremely interesting for one thing. The units all had polished concrete floors with in-floor heating, which actually looked pretty awesome. Some units had exposed brick walls from the original school building. I love the fact that just about every unit was different from the next, instead of just a typical new construction building where every unit is the same as the next.
In my opinion where this building really shines is the lofts. Not all units have a second floor loft, but the ones that do - those lofts are a really huge in my opinion. Definitely the hilight, and if you're going to move into a place called "The Lofts at Greenvale" - you've got to get one with a loft. Bedrooms and kitchens were also a good size.

However... the rest of the space? Small. I really realized it after I left and was thinking about it, but the living/dining areas are very, very cramped. They looked like a good size on the floor plans, but in person? You would be hard pressed to fit a decent sized dining table, couch, chair(s), TV and other furniture in those spaces, and not feel like you're crowded in. In fact, one unit I looked at, I don't even think you could fit a dining table in. And for the price they're asking? No thanks.

So I hate to say, I think Greenvale is off the menu for me.. Which is a huge shame, it's a 5 minute walk for me to work, great location - and the lofts are awesome. But the rest is quite disappointing.

Sadly, there isn't much else in downtown Dartmouth for rentals...so I find myself seriously considering the idea of taking on a mortgage and buying a condo in the area...

Old Posted Jun 12, 2010, 1:55 AM

I was out and about today so I thought I would bring my camera along. There was an open house this afternoon. I didn't get a chance to go in, but it looks like at least the older portion of the building will be ready for occupancy next month. The backside still has a little longer I think.

And just a bonus shot of a lot just down the street at the corner of Ochterloney and Maple. A lot that I believe could house a nice apartment building.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2010, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
I didn't get a chance to go in, but it looks like at least the older portion of the building will be ready for occupancy next month.
The building is already partly occupied, as far as I know.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
The building is already partly occupied, as far as I know.
I was in on Saturday for a mini tour. There are 3 of the 36 units for rent. I saw a loft init in the new part and an apt in the north east corner (partially below grade. The front doors will be the entrance for one apartment. Three apts have small patios. Overall it looks geat. Last time I was in was just before the demo. Good save. JET

Old Posted Jun 14, 2010, 8:08 PM

I haven't seen the inside of the building but the outside looks great!

Old Posted Jun 16, 2010, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
Overall it looks geat.
Really? I was quite unimpressed with the interior, especially the size of the units...

Old Posted Jun 17, 2010, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Really? I was quite unimpressed with the interior, especially the size of the units...
My statement was more in terms of the exterior and surrounding landscaping. Only 3 units left, so some folks liked them enough on the interior. I didn't see any of the larger units in the old section, except through the windows at night, but they looked impressive. JET

Old Posted Jun 19, 2010, 8:12 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

And just a bonus shot of a lot just down the street at the corner of Ochterloney and Maple. A lot that I believe could house a nice apartment building.

[/QUOTE]

The old NS Power building across the street is up for lease as well. Something really cool could be done on each side of the street. Maybe join the two with a 3rd floor pedway.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2010, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
My statement was more in terms of the exterior and surrounding landscaping. Only 3 units left, so some folks liked them enough on the interior. I didn't see any of the larger units in the old section, except through the windows at night, but they looked impressive. JET
To tell the truth, I didn't notice much of a difference between the units in the new and old sections of the building, they were all tiny. Only real difference was that the units in the old section had a lot of exposed brick on the interior and exterior walls, where as the new didn't.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth