HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 6:41 PM

Mariposa/Yosemite, CA

Mariposa is a small community of 2,173 found in the southern Sierra Nevada mountains and, like many other small communities along Highway 49, was first established during the Gold Rush. Mariposa is the seat of Mariposa County and, despite claims from other cities such as Merced, Madera, or Fresno, Mariposa is truly the "Gateway to Yosemite" being less than an hour from the Park entrance and owing a significant portion of the local economy to tourists en route.

Mariposa Creek underneath all the brush

Mariposa is apparently a city of bridges

This was some sort of quirky cafe/tchotchke shop with a weird woman leering at passerbys who kind of creeped my friend and I out.

I don't take pictures of my meals, but, we ate at this Mexican restaurant later for dinner...quite good!

The Mariposa County Courthouse which is reportedly the oldest courthouse in California still in use

45 miles up the road and we enter Yosemite Valley to see nature's skyscrapers

Yosemite Valley from Tunnel View

In contrast to how dry this winter has been thus far, last year's winter was wet enough that several of the falls in Yosemite still had water flowing in early October. I went in early September 10 years ago and there was nothing, so, this was nice.

Half Dome

Closer look at Bridalveil Fall

El Capitan

The hike up to Vernal Falls

Amazing these trees cling to the edge

This is as far as we went, though, you can hike to the top of Vernal Falls and beyond. Despite the beauty, these falls can also be a dangerous place as, several weeks before, three people walked out to the edge of the falls for a photo and went over. They were found several months later. Sad and dumb.

Heading out

Tour of California 1: Los Angeles, 2: Hollywood, Glendale, Pasadena, Beverly Hills, 3: Riverside, Santa Ana, Long Beach, 4: San Jose, 5: San Diego, 6: Fresno, 7: Stockton, Modesto, 8: Gold Country, 9: Eureka, Arcata, 10: Monterey, Carmel, 11: Santa Cruz, 12: Sacramento Pt One, 13: Sacramento Pt Two, 14: Roseville & Folsom, 15: Concord & Walnut Creek, 16: Tri-Valley, 17: Berkeley, Emeryville, 18: Fremont, 19: Santa Clara, Mountain View, Palo Alto, 20: Redwood City, Foster City, San Mateo, 21: Oakland, 22: Benicia, Vallejo, 23: Napa, St. Helena, 24: Petaluma, Santa Rosa, Sonoma, 25: San Rafael, 26: Larkspur, Mill Valley, 27: Sausalito, Tiburon, 28: Hollister, San Juan Bautista, 29: Long Beach 2008, 30: Venice, 31: Santa Monica, 32: Sacramento Pt 3, 33: Solvang, 34: Alameda, 35: Knights Ferry, 36: California Zephyr, 37: Colfax, 38: Davis, 39: Oakdale, 40: San Francisco Pt 1, San Francisco Pt 2, 41: Chico, Redding, 42: Kings Beach, 43: Merced, 44: Gold Country pt 2, 45: Gold Country pt 3, 46: Sonora, 47: Vacaville, Fairfield, Suisun City, 48: Orange, Fullerton, 49: Anaheim, Irvine, 50: Newport Beach, Laguna Beach,51: San Francisco, Pt 3, 52: Lodi, 53: Martinez, 54: Ft Bragg, Mendocino, 55: San Luis Obispo, 56: Sacramento River Pt 1, 57: Sacramento River Pt 2, 58: Lake Merritt/Oakland, 59: Marysville/Yuba City, 60: Woodland, 61: Beverly Hills"62: Los Angeles, 63: Sacramento, 64: Lakeport, 65: South Lake Tahoe, 66: Salinas, Watsonville, 67: Pacific Grove. 68: Winters/Willows, 69: Red Bluff, 70: Redding, 71: Weaverville, 72: Yreka/Weed/Mt Shasta, 73: Mt. Lassen/Susanville, 74: Quincy, 75: Oroville, 76: Avalon

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 7:17 PM

Mariposa looks like a nice little place to check out. I've been to Yosemite before and loved it!

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 7:31 PM

Yosemite is mind blowing. i love that place.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 7:47 PM
furified freestyle

great show, stepper. nice to see so many gold rush era buildings in good shape in mariposa.

as for yosemite, it is downright CRIMINAL that i have never been there. hopefully by year's end. the shots of vernal falls are excellent.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 11:37 PM

I love Yosemite! It's an amazing place to climb and hike...especially up to Half Dome! You're right though, it is a dangerous place, but it's usually when people ignore certain rules...

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 11:45 PM

Nice little town. The courthouse looks very New England. The town has an 'out west' look to me.

The landscape is unbelievable!

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 3:23 AM
Stuck in the Suburbs

Yet another great thread

Last edited by novaCJ; Jan 20, 2012 at 4:25 AM.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 3:47 AM
REAL Kiwi!

Awesome, great tour....

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 6:46 AM

Great pictures from Yosemite! I am confused about this "Gateway to Yosemite" stuff. I actually heard from a couple people, and read in a couple books, that San Francisco is the gateway to the park. Obviously it's farther away from any of those places that you mentioned. How far away is San Francisco? Isn't there any place closer to the park that can lay claim? It 45 minutes away the closest town?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 7:06 AM

I haven't been to Yosemite in years, but I'll always remember what it was like to climb the mountains there... by far one of the most beautiful places I've ever been in my life. Thank you for this thread, it brought back all the memories.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 3:11 PM
Universal Traveler

Smile

Thanks a lot for this thread and these beautiful pictures, stepper77!

Mariposa looks like a very charming town. Even its name is pretty.

And Yosemite is spectacular. I´m wishing to visit it the next time we visit California. Wonderful landscape.

Congratulations and greetings from Madrid, Spain!

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
Great pictures from Yosemite! I am confused about this "Gateway to Yosemite" stuff. I actually heard from a couple people, and read in a couple books, that San Francisco is the gateway to the park. Obviously it's farther away from any of those places that you mentioned. How far away is San Francisco? Isn't there any place closer to the park that can lay claim? It 45 minutes away the closest town?

San Francisco is almost 200 miles away if this is the gateway, you can almost say that Los Angeles is also the gateway and we know thats not ture.

When I lived in Fresno, it was my understanding it was the Gateway to Yosemite. Highway 41 runs right through the middle of this city that take you to the front entrance. It's about 1 1/2 hours away to the entrance.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 7:41 PM

Thanks for all the comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by giovanni sasso View Post
great show, stepper. nice to see so many gold rush era buildings in good shape in mariposa.

as for yosemite, it is downright CRIMINAL that i have never been there. hopefully by year's end. the shots of vernal falls are excellent.
It is criminal, but, you can be forgiven. I've only been twice in my 34 years and it is less than four hours from where I live. It should definitely be on anyone's list of must visit places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZensLens View Post
I love Yosemite! It's an amazing place to climb and hike...especially up to Half Dome! You're right though, it is a dangerous place, but it's usually when people ignore certain rules...
I wish we could have hiked further, but, we didn't even get to the park until one in the afternoon. I would love to do the hike to Half Dome. And yes, signs are posted everyone to not enter the water...and yet people do anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expat View Post
Nice little town. The courthouse looks very New England. The town has an 'out west' look to me.

The landscape is unbelievable!
I agree with you, the courthouse definitely has a New England look. When I saw it at first I thought it was just another old courthouse turned history museum, but, I think it is great that it still functions as a courthouse.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLA View Post
San Francisco is almost 200 miles away if this is the gateway, you can almost say that Los Angeles is also the gateway and we know thats not ture.

When I lived in Fresno, it was my understanding it was the Gateway to Yosemite. Highway 41 runs right through the middle of this city that take you to the front entrance. It's about 1 1/2 hours away to the entrance.
As to the "gateway issue", ChrisLA is right, San Francisco could not reasonably claim to be the gateway to Yosemite unless it makes the claim to be the gateway to all of Northern California. Historically maybe that was the case, but, I wouldn't say that now. However, a good portion of SF's water does come from Hetch Hetchy Reservoir within the Park's boundaries (and is some of the best "city" tap water around).

I think Merced, for those coming from Northern California, and Fresno, for those coming from SoCal, both have legitimate claims as gateways as these are the turning points off of Highway 99 to get to Yosemite. On the 140 route (from Merced), Mariposa is the last city before you get to Yosemite, though the maps show the tiny town of El Portal at the edge of the park. On the 41 route (from Fresno), Oakhurst is about the same distance as Mariposa but a longer drive.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2012, 2:10 AM

Amazing photos, I couldn't see them at work because the server where you store your photos is blocked.

Anyway Mariposa reminds me a lot of Oakhurst the other little city on the way to Yosemite via highway 41. Does it snow in Mariposa like it does in Oakhurst?

Old Posted Jan 21, 2012, 3:06 AM

At 1950 ft, Mariposa is a bit lower than Oakhurst in elevation , but, snow isn't out of the ordinary for winter months. I've never been to Oakhurst. But, all the small towns in Sierras foothills like where I grew up, have a similar feel.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2012, 4:54 AM

Looking at a map, some of what you guys are saying makes sense now. The first thing hard for me to comprehend is the size of the park. Yosemite is almost half the size of my state, including our claims to bodies of water. The other thing that I can't comprehend, living on the East Coast, is distances on a map or driving times. Anything that's an hour away is a long drive away to most people here. I think we have a harder time covering distances by car over here because of density and maneuvering aruond communities, going around water, and stuff like that.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2012, 5:57 AM
Pipe Layer

This view of the valley, which has been photographed a million times over, is absolutely stunning. I can't stop staring at it.

El Capitan on the left and Half Dome looming in the distance. . . .Paradise!

Time for a return trip!

Old Posted Jan 22, 2012, 6:57 AM
BANNED

Great photos, I'm loving the coverage of small CA towns, stepper77. I'm particularly fascinated by the gold country towns. It is reminiscent of new england in a vague way. I think it's the hilly terrain and the close knit quaint nature of the towns. Sonora is one of my favorite of the gold country towns, but I stayed in Mariposa before and it is nice as well as the surrounding scenery.

As far as gateway to Yosemite, you guys are missing one community that I think could really claim that title: Lee's Vining. Of course it's on the OTHER side of Yosemite, the eastern Sierra which is feels like a TOTAL world away from the western Sierra and its foothills. stepper, maybe you could make it out to Bishop, Lone Pine, Mammoth Lakes, June Lake and Big Pine one of these trips. I don't see em in your sig. Eastern sierra is an underrated California gem, the Sierras are more dramatic as the elevation drop is sudden as opposed to the westside which is gradual, and it is especially nice in the fall when the aspens change color.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2012, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Looking at a map, some of what you guys are saying makes sense now. The first thing hard for me to comprehend is the size of the park. Yosemite is almost half the size of my state, including our claims to bodies of water. The other thing that I can't comprehend, living on the East Coast, is distances on a map or driving times. Anything that's an hour away is a long drive away to most people here. I think we have a harder time covering distances by car over here because of density and maneuvering aruond communities, going around water, and stuff like that.
Yosemite is a HUGE park and, Yosemite Valley, where most tourists visit, is a mere sliver. It is interesting, because, when I see maps of the East Coast, and the times I've visited New England, I was surprised at how close everything is and yet the communities so different. I'd love to take two weeks off and do a road trip on the East Coast and see how much I could cover.

In California, I can easily drive four hours to get somewhere without problem (though at that distance I usually will stay the night). To me, Sacramento is relatively close and I have coworkers who commute from there everyday, and it is an hour and a half from the Bay Area. We have counties bigger than Delaware, but, the size makes it difficult to see. At 34, I still haven't been to every county...yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoXZ View Post
This view of the valley, which has been photographed a million times over, is absolutely stunning. I can't stop staring at it.

El Capitan on the left and Half Dome looming in the distance. . . .Paradise!

Time for a return trip!
It truly is paradise! Even getting out of the park, which was bumper to bumper traffic, was, in a way, a delight because I was treated to the views in the last few photos while waiting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by all of the trash View Post
Great photos, I'm loving the coverage of small CA towns, stepper77. I'm particularly fascinated by the gold country towns. It is reminiscent of new england in a vague way. I think it's the hilly terrain and the close knit quaint nature of the towns. Sonora is one of my favorite of the gold country towns, but I stayed in Mariposa before and it is nice as well as the surrounding scenery.

As far as gateway to Yosemite, you guys are missing one community that I think could really claim that title: Lee's Vining. Of course it's on the OTHER side of Yosemite, the eastern Sierra which is feels like a TOTAL world away from the western Sierra and its foothills. stepper, maybe you could make it out to Bishop, Lone Pine, Mammoth Lakes, June Lake and Big Pine one of these trips. I don't see em in your sig. Eastern sierra is an underrated California gem, the Sierras are more dramatic as the elevation drop is sudden as opposed to the westside which is gradual, and it is especially nice in the fall when the aspens change color.
I grew up in Grass Valley, so, the Gold Country is my home and though I'm a city dweller now, I love visiting these small towns as much as I can.

As to Lee Vining and the Eastern Sierras, you are absolutely right! I've never been, but, in fact, I had a trip planned with a friend of mine for last October to see that region and the renowned fall leaves. Unfortunately, the changing of the leaves was later than we planned and my friend had to cancel. So, if all goes well, I'll be making that trip this coming October.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos