HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 4:07 PM
The Drifter

Orlando, there is more than just the police station and 9 story building. There are apartments, hotel, and Granger Medical buildings in the area too.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 5:08 PM

I'm aware of the apartments and hotel, and I knew there were plans for more. Can you go get us some pics?

Old Posted Nov 11, 2020, 10:31 PM

Sage Valley Apartments starting to be built on Redwood Rd and 4100 S in WVC by Rimrock Construction. 7 level, multi-building development with 449 total units. Excited that the old Kmart was demolished to make way for this development. From my experience, this is a high crime area mostly taking place in the apartment complexes to the North. I've seen drug deals done in broad daylight in the Smiths Parking lot across the street. There was also a drive-by shooting there too, so hopefully that won't scare any prospective tenants. Land owner originally wanted to build a storage unit facility so super stoked they decided to go with multi family housing.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2020, 3:14 PM

I've been wondering what was going up there, thanks for that.

There are some big complexes of units going up on Redwood between about 2700 S and 4100 S, including two other ones on the east side of Redwood. One completely new, the other Lofts on Redwood has been growing for a while now.

Still single level (but multistory), and architecturally more interesting than some of the other suburban apartment complexes.

The same developer (Truong Properties) is doing Twenty-One Lofts in Sugarhouse on 2100 South, and those are nearing completion.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2020, 11:41 PM

Pluralsight

It's a cool design, but it's too bad that Pluralsight didn't have the Foresight to build in downtown rather than in Sprawlville.
Same old stuff but in a newer wrap.

https://www.mhtn.com/portfolio-item/pluralsight/

Old Posted Nov 15, 2020, 11:46 PM

Taylorsville Commons

It looks like they are going to redevelop all of those large strip malls into something more cohesive and pedestrian friendly?

https://www.mhtn.com/portfolio-item/...s-master-plan/

Old Posted Nov 16, 2020, 2:43 AM

Old Posted Nov 16, 2020, 2:43 AM

Daybreak Library

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 6:58 PM
Space Magi

I thought of WVC's Fairbourne Station this morning and I went digging for some more recent news and images of it. The best I found were these articles and some nice photos:

What will it take for Fairbourne Station to become a thriving "downtown?"

Downtown Delivery

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 1:44 AM

Update on The Summit @ The Cairns project

https://mountainexpressmagazine.com/...ach-mountains/

RADISSON HOTEL GROUP SIGNS A RADISSON BLU OVERLOOKING THE MOUNTAINS NEAR SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH

Radisson Hotel Group today announced the signing of Radisson Blu Sandy - Salt Lake City. The hotel, which will be managed by Radisson Hotel Group, will be part of a multi-phased, mixed-use development project with Raddon Development, called The Summit at the Cairns, designed by Beecher Walker Architects. The first phase of the project, comprised of a 13-story building, will feature conference facilities, a variety of guest rooms, a rooftop restaurant and bar, pool deck, full-service spa, fitness center, top level condominiums and parking structure.

“I am proud to be announcing the signing of this phenomenal hotel that will give guests a one-of-a-kind experience in the beautiful state of Utah,” said Phil Hugh, chief development officer, Americas, Radisson Hotel Group. “It has been incredible working alongside Raddon Development as they bring this exceptional development project to life, while creating a true destination for our guests with a variety of culinary options, shopping and activities for outdoor enthusiasts in this urban gem. The signing of this hotel displays our rapid growth of Radisson Blu in the recent months as we will be nearly doubling the brand’s portfolio in the Americas with four key hotel openings in Q4 of this year.”

Radisson Blu Sandy – Salt Lake City will offer 235 spacious and elegant guest rooms and suites. The hotel’s rooftop will feature FireLake Grill House & Cocktail Bar, a signature concept of Radisson Blu properties in the U.S., centered around live fire cooking and farm-to-table dining. Hosting a corporate function or special event will be an option within the hotel’s approximately 22,000 square feet of meeting space. The Amenity Deck is guaranteed to amaze guests with its state-of-the-art fitness center and both an indoor and outdoor pool and spa overlooking the stunning Wasatch Mountains. The hotel is anticipated to begin construction in Q4 2021.

“A full-service conference hotel has long been an important objective for the downtown Cairns area, but to have the added bonus of that hotel being an upscale global brand is a real jewel for the city,” said Mayor Kurt Bradburn of Sandy City. “Radisson Blu’s remarkable facilities and service along with their international presence is a perfect fit for our city and the valley as a whole.”

“We are thrilled to have Radisson Hotel Group and Sandy City as our partners on this highly anticipated new development,” said Ron Raddon, chairman, Raddon Development.

https://www.radissonhotelgroup.com/m...lake-city-utah

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 1:55 AM
Space Magi

Looks like a similar design as before but they cut out the office section and made it 5 floors shorter. At 13 stories it will still be close to becoming the tallest building in Utah outside of SLC.

View from the restaurant (from the second link):

Last edited by Atlas; Dec 10, 2020 at 3:13 AM.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2020, 7:18 PM
Space Magi

I skimmed through the Murray PC agenda today (warning: large pdf file) and there are some big things on the docket. First, there's a request by the property owners of the entire shopping center at 5300S and State for a rezone from General Commercial to Mixed Use, and it's mentioned that they are interested in developing a large mixed-use center there. Here's the property in question, where there is currently a Barnes & Noble, Best Buy, Zupa's, Mimi's Cafe, etc.

Also, there's a new general plan being discussed called "Fashion Place West" that is intended to serve as a guideline for development of the areas of Murray around the junction of I-15 and I-215. Here's a map of the proposed zoning changes:

On top of this there are design guidelines and the like, as well as a few "Catalytic Developments" suggested in the appendix, such as this vision for the area immediately west of Fashion Place:

And one interesting one was the idea of building a commercial development across Winchester Bridge, kind of a Ponte Vecchio type thing over 215:

Old Posted Dec 17, 2020, 10:12 PM

I think all of those ideas are great, especially for all those parking lots around downtown Murray. There's so much mixed-use potential in the Murray/South Salt Lake Corridor from I-15 to State Street. I am doubtful about that Winchester Bridge concept, just because that would require more bridgework, and the funding for that and the different agencies needing approval for that.

I wish that Costco would move and that corner would all be mixed-use retail & residential. There are some examples of mixed-use developments with big box retail under it in Vancouver.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2020, 10:17 PM

Where exactly will the Radison be located at?

Old Posted Dec 17, 2020, 10:25 PM

I love that bridge idea, though like Orlando I have serious doubts about whether it would actually happen. I'll believe it when it does. That said, if it does happen, that would be one of the coolest and most unique developments to happen in this city (county?) and hopefully it would spur similar creative ideas to reimagine the freeway overpasses in this city.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2020, 10:58 PM
Space Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Where exactly will the Radison be located at?
If it's in the same location as the previous "Summit" proposal, and given that the design is almost identical except it's been scaled back, then it's here.

And I take back my previous comment about it pushing for tallest in Utah outside of SLC. This thing will be 180 ft at the most. The IHC Sorenson tower is at least 210 ft. It'll probably be taller than the Mountain America building though.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2020, 12:21 AM

Quote:
This is an awesome idea. I commute through here often on my bike, and it is impressive how intimidating it is going from nice neighborhood street to being on a narrow lane over a roaring freeway. In some ways, below-grade freeways can be even more disruptive than above-ground freeways, since at least underpasses can be wide and don't have all the noise you get when you are suspended over traffic.
I think these sorts of things should get built all over that stretch of I-215. The one caveat is that I also want there to be a TRAX line in the median of I-215 between the Winchester Street bridge and the Big Cottonwood Road interchange:

(The line will terminate with a planned parking structure/transit hub to be constructed on the gravel pit site, where buses will go up the Cottonwood Canyons.)

So maybe an arrangement can be made, where one of the buildings built over the freeway is a nice entrance building for the TRAX station (elevators/escalators down to freeway level). That would be awesome!

Old Posted Dec 19, 2020, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCRes View Post
Does anyone remember Magic Waters in Draper? You could see it from the freeway. That's where I always went as a kid, we couldn't afford Raging Waters or Seven Peaks
I went there a few times. It was fun, but pretty small. My favorite slide was the tube one that started at the magic spicket that didn't have a feed source. lol

Old Posted Dec 19, 2020, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatman View Post
This is an awesome idea. I commute through here often on my bike, and it is impressive how intimidating it is going from nice neighborhood street to being on a narrow lane over a roaring freeway. In some ways, below-grade freeways can be even more disruptive than above-ground freeways, since at least underpasses can be wide and don't have all the noise you get when you are suspended over traffic.
I think these sorts of things should get built all over that stretch of I-215. The one caveat is that I also want there to be a TRAX line in the median of I-215 between the Winchester Street bridge and the Big Cottonwood Road interchange:

(The line will terminate with a planned parking structure/transit hub to be constructed on the gravel pit site, where buses will go up the Cottonwood Canyons.)

So maybe an arrangement can be made, where one of the buildings built over the freeway is a nice entrance building for the TRAX station (elevators/escalators down to freeway level). That would be awesome!
I'm all for decking portions the SE part of 215, on some of the cross streets as the north of south side. Maybe decking the north or south side could accommodate Trax running to the mouth of the canyons, it could always cross sides at some point. I think it would depend on which area on which side would be more amenable to some increased density along the line. I think some decking could also be accommodated on some of the bridges, even if it didn't include buildings, but maybe a 10' wide area on each side with some landscaping, bike lanes and sidewalks.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2020, 6:52 AM

Quote:
This is a sneak preview of what will soon be seen right off the freeway in Murray, Utah - the second building for Security National Mortgage!.
5400s & I-15 I assume.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West