HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
a very nice small airport is hilo --- we just did that one recently. its great to see the big island from above and other hawaiian islands on the way back to honolulu. what's not to love about hawaii though? ha.
Ah, I would imagine the view to be really green as you descend?

I've only flown into Kona, and I thought it was cool, seeing all the black lava rock. I thought it was a cute little airport, too; all open-air, with those pizza hut-shaped canopy structures. Hehe.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 6:32 PM

Wow, I didn't think this thread would return to life. And we're still arguing over the approach into LAX! It's like I never even left....

Anyway, I've not understood a lot of people's obsession with the approach into LGA, as on the couple of occasions I've flown in we didn't get particularly close to Manhattan. And then a friend of mine sent me this to show what it looks like flying in from the NE:
Video Link

So yeah, now I get it.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will O' Wisp View Post
Wow, I didn't think this thread would return to life. And we're still arguing over the approach into LAX! It's like I never even left....

Anyway, I've not understood a lot of people's obsession with the approach into LGA, as on the couple of occasions I've flown in we didn't get particularly close to Manhattan. And then a friend of mine sent me this to show what it looks like flying in from the NE:

So yeah, now I get it.
Yeah, it depends on which runway is being used for landing, and that usually depends on the wind direction. When the landing approach is from the east or south, the plane normally is low enough over Brooklyn and Queens to see most of NYC's landmarks, from the left side of the plane*, in a span of 10 minutes. Sometimes it will remain higher if ATC implements an extended flyaround over Nassau County and Long Island Sound (those of us who fly into LGA frequently on weekday evenings will be very familiar with it).

Landings at JFK or Newark don't tend to be as scenic.

*The left of the plane is identified the exact same way you'd identify the left side of a car...

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 7:55 PM
BANNED

Posted Jul 23, 2019, 2:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYNYC View Post
I am referring to the left side of the plane as you are boarding (i.e., starboard), not while seated (i.e., port).
Posted Today, 1:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
There is only one right side and one left side - the ones that are to the right and left, respectively, when facing forwards in the plane. Otherwise known as starboard and port.
You know, it takes an exceptionally rare level of brilliance and gall to observe someone else's explanation of a particular subject, flip it, and then attempt to pass it of as their own original pearl of wisdom.

I mean your genius is simply remarkable. Rhodes Scholar, I'm guessing?

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 7:58 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
*The left of the plane is identified the exact same way you'd identify the left side of a car...
More often than not - i.e., 99% of the time - cars are referred to in terms of "driver's side" and "passenger's side", not "left side" or "right side".

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 8:20 PM

Quote:
More often than not - i.e., 99% of the time - cars are referred to in terms of "driver's side" and "passenger's side", not "left side" or "right side".
No, they are often used interchangeably:

https://www.discountbodyparts.com/ca...nder/9062.html

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 10:39 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
No, they are often used interchangeably:

https://www.discountbodyparts.com/ca...nder/9062.html

This is correct. I work part time at an auto performance shop and we use them interchangeably, and actually use left/right much more often. That is because if someone is referring to the right side of the car, that is the passenger side only for USDM cars. Due to the fact we work on JDM cars as well, which are RHD (right hand drive), in those cases, it is more accurate to refer to the sides as right vs left instead of drivers vs passenger. This eliminates confusion because there is only one right and one left side of the car, no matter what viewpoint you're looking at the car from.

I mean, just look an alignment spec sheet:

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 11:53 PM

Have to agree that flying into Los Angeles from the east was truly amazing - the wall of the San Bernadino Mountains with the sprawl thrown up against it and crammed into every bit of flat land was mezmerising.

But seeing as we've gone international, I have to rep my hometown, and the best angle of arriving home, makes my heart sing every time

Video Link

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 1:20 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will O' Wisp View Post

Video Link

So yeah, now I get it.
- that flew directly over my home and office

- I would venture to say the skylines of both Long Island City and Jersey City are larger than the skylines of most U.S. cities that fall below the top 20 largest MSAs, and obviously some within the top 20 largest (Riverside, Phoenix)

- I can't fathom how it is possible in this day and age (the post-9/11 era) for a commercial plane to fly that close to the Freedom Tower, or to Manhattan in general

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 1:30 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimondpark View Post
This never gets old...Congonhas Airport São Paulo
Video Link
Although the thread was created to discuss the 5 Most Impressive U.S. Airport Final Approach Views, I am glad the above link was shared. It is by far the most insanely, incredibly massive example of urbanity I have ever seen.

Just mind-blowing.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 1:35 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
I think the Sao Paulo in town airport landing must be among the most spectacular in the world. Here is another landing clip that shows in detail the vast scale and high rise nature of the place. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPTyXftT0bY
^ Unreal. No other approach on the planet compares.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 1:45 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 2:40 AM

i like the portland approach. you see south straight down the ridge of the cascades...

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 4:48 AM

Salt Lake approach flying over the valley with the Wasatch range is pretty great

Video Link

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Posted Jul 23, 2019, 2:50 PM

Posted Today, 1:33 PM

You know, it takes an exceptionally rare level of brilliance and gall to observe someone else's explanation of a particular subject, flip it, and then attempt to pass it of as their own original pearl of wisdom.

I mean your genius is simply remarkable. Rhodes Scholar, I'm guessing?
Starboard = right
Port = left

Left and right are relative to a passenger (or pilot) facing forwards in the plane, not from any other vantage point.

I didn’t read your other post.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 1:22 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxtex View Post
i like the portland approach. you see south straight down the ridge of the cascades...
thats what i like about SEA as well...you get rainier right there.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 2:40 PM
sick transit, gloria

The landing at Cape Town international coming from JNB usually isn't too interesting - the plane comes at a southwesterly heading and then turns sharply (almost nausea inducing) to get the angle of the NW/SE runway and avoid the strong crosswinds coming off the mountain. Some interesting scenery and seeing the winelands is cool, but mostly whatever.

However, last time I flew in there was an obstruction on the runway and the pilot had to abort takeoff most of the way through the final approach. We circled around Table Mountain and the City Bowl at low altitude which was absolutely spectacular. Well so long as you are sitting on the right hand side (always starboard!) of the plane - otherwise you'd be looking at the Cape Flats and then just open ocean. Which reminds me, all the pictures are on my fiances phone and I need to get them.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 2:47 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
Salt Lake approach flying over the valley with the Wasatch range is pretty great

Video Link
i remember landing in salt lake...like dropping into a bowl and looking up at the rim.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2019, 5:44 AM
BANNED

Quote:
You know what, you're right, I guess I don't.

I mean, I live in a little place called Manhattan, which, as everyone knows is completely sprawling, suburban and isn't dense at all.

Can you let me know where a dense city is, since I clearly don't know what one looks like, have ever visited one, or ever lived in one?

Thanks in advance.

Chill out. Seems you think everybody cares to read your name.

Last edited by urbanview; Jul 31, 2019 at 7:27 AM.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2019, 6:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanview View Post
Chill out. Seems you think everybody cares to read your name.
^ says the guy who ridiculously claimed the "core city" of Los Angeles isn't dense.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions