HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
^ That's too bad, the southeast corner has a nice traditional Chicago corner building with a currency exchange and a pizzeria.
i don't believe it's for the corner lot with the currency exchange but the partially empty body shop lot just east

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 1:53 PM
The City

Quote:

Also, there's a six-story building planned for Ogden and Erie (615 S Ogden). Big improvement over the 1 story blank wall garage that used to be there. Demo is underway.
Uhhhh, that address doesn’t exist

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Read this little tidbit, didn’t see it mentioned before:

CedarSt Cos. closed on a 10K SF lot at the southeast corner of Broadway and Foster in Chicago's Edgewater neighborhood for $1.75M. It plans to build a mixed-use 27-unit apartment building with 6K SF of ground-floor retail. Working with LEVEL Architecture, the company plans to break ground later this year and start leasing in the spring of 2020. CedarSt also secured a $6M acquisition/construction loan from Associated Bank. Daniel Barrins of Associated Bank managed the loan and closing.

Read more at: https://www.bisnow.com/chicago/news/...medium=Browser
That’s exciting news! I live 2 blocks east and always wish the pedestrian environment at the Foster/Broadway intersection could be improved. Having said that, I do like the corner building there (though it needs plenty of TLC), but it had been listed for sale. Minor correction to the article: the SE corner is in Uptown, not Edgewater. I wish the awful CVS across the street at the NE corner could be redeveloped soon (maybe the article was correct stating the development is in Edgewater but incorrect saying SE corner instead of NE corner?). It’s an ugly cinderblock eyesore with a barely used parking lot occupying that corner. Of course about 75% of Broadway from Lawrence to Balmoral is an eyesore of stripmalls & drive throughs. Maybe Cedar Street is going all in on this corridor and will make future purchases and redevelopments? They’re already redeveloping the midrise building at Argyle and now have this. And with the Uptown Theatre restoration and the relocation of Timeline Theatre, perhaps all of this will encourage Cedar Street to continue buying and redeveloping this stretch of Broadway. Seems like such a prime area considering proximity to Andersonville and the core of Uptown, plus the red line and the lakefront.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 2:29 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

I noticed fencing on the lot on the SW corner of Indiana and 31st. Could anything be happening there?

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
That’s exciting news! I live 2 blocks east and always wish the pedestrian environment at the Foster/Broadway intersection could be improved. Having said that, I do like the corner building there (though it needs plenty of TLC), but it had been listed for sale. Minor correction to the article: the SE corner is in Uptown, not Edgewater. I wish the awful CVS across the street at the NE corner could be redeveloped soon (maybe the article was correct stating the development is in Edgewater but incorrect saying SE corner instead of NE corner?). It’s an ugly cinderblock eyesore with a barely used parking lot occupying that corner. Of course about 75% of Broadway from Lawrence to Balmoral is an eyesore of stripmalls & drive throughs. Maybe Cedar Street is going all in on this corridor and will make future purchases and redevelopments? They’re already redeveloping the midrise building at Argyle and now have this. And with the Uptown Theatre restoration and the relocation of Timeline Theatre, perhaps all of this will encourage Cedar Street to continue buying and redeveloping this stretch of Broadway. Seems like such a prime area considering proximity to Andersonville and the core of Uptown, plus the red line and the lakefront.
wealthy SFH owners in Andersonville p much sealed this stretches fate as an auto sewer

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 3:02 PM

Quote:
They do that in Mexico as well; not for tax reasons but simply to provide the flexibility to add floors later as family grows, or to provide an additional advantage when selling a home.

People make decisions very differently in the absence of zoning. Why would you NOT future proof your home in this way unless the government has explicitly banned it?

Of course, with much more rainfall, snow, and freeze/thaw cycles in Chicago that approach is more difficult here, and out of the question in tightly zoned residential areas.
Lol this stuff isn't planned in Mexico. That country is full of projects where ambition outstripped reality. Lots of those buildings aren't even habitable.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 3:05 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
^ Well, if Kenmore is right then it's actually an auto repair shop being replaced as opposed to this corner building. It initially made me seethe to see that they would tear down the urban building at this intersection when there is a POS gas station and a store with a parking lot at 2 of the other 4 corners

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Read this little tidbit, didn’t see it mentioned before:

CedarSt Cos. closed on a 10K SF lot at the southeast corner of Broadway and Foster in Chicago's Edgewater neighborhood for $1.75M. It plans to build a mixed-use 27-unit apartment building with 6K SF of ground-floor retail. Working with LEVEL Architecture, the company plans to break ground later this year and start leasing in the spring of 2020. CedarSt also secured a $6M acquisition/construction loan from Associated Bank. Daniel Barrins of Associated Bank managed the loan and closing.

Read more at: https://www.bisnow.com/chicago/news/...medium=Browser
If someone wants to post a rendering, it looks like Level Incorporated - the architect - has post on Instagram. See here:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BpmmaA9A...=18z4gb6pgcgjc

That would be a nice addition.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 3:10 PM

^ That Instagram post shows the corner building is being torn down. Oh how I wish it was the NE corner being redeveloped.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 3:58 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

shitty picture from the bus of the work at 45th and Cottage Grove... not much to see, but it's happening!

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 4:01 PM

ugh i knew it was only a matter of time when that building went up for sale.

thats unfortunate. its a sloppy looking design, and the existing corner building has some nice detailing

theres a new building going up a block to the East thats even worse

because who dosent want a new condo above an auto body shop?

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 4:18 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post

shitty picture from the bus of the work at 45th and Cottage Grove... not much to see, but it's happening!
What's going on here?

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 4:30 PM

Quote:
What's going on here?
164 unit development w/ retail and a public plaza

Source: http://brinshore.com/dev/45th-cottage-grove/

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 4:32 PM
Show me the blueprints

Disney

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Disney
Are you referring to the Brinshore development? Brinshore is a well respected affordable housing developer. I don't think they do any 100% market rate development. Everything they do uses the federal affordable housing tax credit to my understanding.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 7:15 PM
Show me the blueprints

Yes, I'm dissing the design in the image above. I'm really tiring of the half-assed nod to the historic vernacular. Those facades have no depth, no character, they look exactly like what they are - faux-historical wallpaper pasted onto a monolithic structure behind it. If these lots were developed independently in a fine grained manner, my criticism of the architecture would be slightly less. But there is absolutley no honesty in what you see there. An not only no honesty, no character, a phony facsmile if i've ever seen one. There's an ethos I wish all practicing architects would live by... If you want to do neo- this or that and design an actual revival structure, you need to have the budget to do that. If you don't have the budget to do that, do something different.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Yes, I'm dissing the design in the image above. I'm really tiring of the half-assed nod to the historic vernacular. Those facades have no depth, no character, they look exactly like what they are - faux-historical wallpaper pasted onto a monolithic structure behind it. If these lots were developed independently in a fine grained manner, my criticism of the architecture would be slightly less. But there is absolutley no honesty in what you see there. An not only no honesty, no character, a phony facsmile if i've ever seen one. There's an ethos I wish all practicing architects would live by... If you want to do neo- this or that and design an actual revival structure, you need to have the budget to do that. If you don't have the budget to do that, do something different.
I'm curious how many construction budgets for affordable housing you've put together? How many market rate budgets? Affordable new construction buildings in Chicago tend to cost around $350-450K/unit.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
I'm curious how many construction budgets for affordable housing you've put together? How many market rate budgets? Affordable new construction buildings in Chicago tend to cost around $350-450K/unit.

Dude re-read his post. He said if you don't have the budget to execute the style you're designing then don't do it at all. Half-assing a particular architectural style just results in a terrible product. Instead, focus on developing a design that can be executed well using the budget that you have.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 8:37 PM

Quote:
How are they not honest? The materials are what they are and do what they do, they keep out the weather and arranged in a logical manner with headers spanning openings, metal clad bays and some sort of cornice that caps the wall assembly. This isnt trying to be an Italinate or Queen Ann revival, it's just trying to be good infill, which I think it achieves and is sorely needed in this part of town. Would I like to see more depth? Yes, but it's not feasible. The only thing that would be more "honest" than this would be to skin the framing in liner panel and oh joy, a giant paneled warehouse is what we'd all get to look at. And even then, to it right, may not even be a savings in panel.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 8:59 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0 View Post
How are they not honest? The materials are what they are and do what they do, they keep out the weather and arranged in a logical manner with headers spanning openings, metal clad bays and some sort of cornice that caps the wall assembly. This isnt trying to be an Italinate or Queen Ann revival, it's just trying to be good infill, which I think it achieves and is sorely needed in this part of town. Would I like to see more depth? Yes, but it's not feasible. The only thing that would be more "honest" than this would be to skin the framing in liner panel and oh joy, a giant paneled warehouse is what we'd all get to look at. And even then, to it right, may not even be a savings in panel.
^ At least by the rendering, it looks better than the University Village crap that went up on south Halsted 10 years ago

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development