HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 9, 2016, 1:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFTransplant View Post
I wish every street in SF had greenery like that...
Yes but there would be no sunlight. Hyde St. is like this with lots of bushy trees, but the apartments facing the street are dark like caves.

This is one of the many reasons I prefer palm trees. They are slender and add some beautiful greenery while being very hardy and not blocking out the sunlight. They also don't require much water.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2016, 1:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakamesalad View Post
Yes but there would be no sunlight. Hyde St. is like this with lots of bushy trees, but the apartments facing the street are dark like caves.

This is one of the many reasons I prefer palm trees. They are slender and add some beautiful greenery while being very hardy and not blocking out the sunlight. They also don't require much water.
If they were deciduous trees, they'd provide shelter from the heat in the summer and then let light in during the winter... you know, like in every other metropolitan area.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2016, 6:42 AM

I'm from Atlanta so I love tree cover

It acts as a natural rain jacket

Old Posted Apr 9, 2016, 8:22 PM
heavy user of walkability

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
can't remember if I've mentioned this before, but for the last few weeks there have been construction signs on the fences around 100 Hooper in Showplace Square, across Seventh St from Mission Bay. a few weeks before that the storage space company was cleared off the site. this article from July 2015 said it would get going last year already. heavy PDR use
... and this week, heavy equipment has appeared on site! as seen looking west from the train on Thursday, moving along Seventh St, north to south:

immediately to the north of this site is a Recology facility that I really wish could be relocated, given how this neighborhood is changing. now very much out of place there.

and adjacent on the south, seen in left foreground in the last pic, is the plot that belongs to CA College of the Arts, which is looking to develop it as part of an expansion/consolidation of their Oakland campus, it sounds like. from that link:

Quote:
Update on Campus Planning
The CCA community is hard at work developing plans to realize this vision. Last June we completed the first phase of work with Gensler and MKThink to produce a strategic framework for planning. The yearlong process included input from faculty, students, staff, alumni, and trustees.

Read the published report titled Framing the Future.

More than 300 faculty, staff, students, and alumni have been involved to date in working with Jensen Architects to develop the next phase of the plan, which is to delineate requirements for the space types outlined in Framing the Future.

After completing this work, we’ll be ready to undertake an architecture selection process as the next step in reshaping the San Francisco campus.

To guide and ground our goals, CCA staff and faculty leaders created an extension to the operational plan made six years ago, the Dream Big Extension 2016-20.

As in the past, no tuition dollars will be used for campus planning, building, or expansion efforts. We are in the very early stages of a fundraising campaign that will make these goals a reality.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2016, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFTransplant View Post
If they were deciduous trees, they'd provide shelter from the heat in the summer and then let light in during the winter... you know, like in every other metropolitan area.

Heat in the summer? Thank God the streets didn't have too much tree coverage.....all the fog. And then when it isn't foggy the light in San Francisco is incredible.....wouldn't want any of that to change....especially since San Francisco, thank God, isn't "every city"

Old Posted Apr 10, 2016, 6:20 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago3rd View Post
Heat in the summer? Thank God the streets didn't have too much tree coverage.....all the fog. And then when it isn't foggy the light in San Francisco is incredible.....wouldn't want any of that to change....especially since San Francisco, thank God, isn't "every city"
It got up to 86 this week!

Old Posted Apr 11, 2016, 8:25 AM

Quote:
since this project in the Bayview was starting to get close to finishing, I thought I would get a closer look than my usual one from the passing Caltrain...
update: this was getting much greener as more landscaping was going in. this is the usual view from the train again, on Friday

Old Posted Apr 11, 2016, 8:30 AM

Quote:
not sure how significant this is, but the lot one over from Fourth, between Brannan and Bluxome Alley, has been partially fenced off. could be this. ...
confirmed; as of tonight the site (parking lot) is completely fenced off and the posted building permit is for a 6-story office building.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2016, 8:53 AM

Potrero 1010, corner of Seventh and 16th. the silver corner building is not at its best on gray days

here it was from the train on Thursday

the corner project at Franklin and Page again, not looking anywhere near as bad as its rendering

the one at Market, 15th, Sanchez, etc

55 Laguna is coming along. this is the sidewalk along the top (west side, Buchanan):

the grand stair was open from that side when I walked by today. this is the plaza above the stair

wider angle

same plaza, looking further north along Buchanan

looking back 'out' to the west from the plaza

looking down the stair toward the first landing

looking down from first landing

ongoing work on the existing SE corner building

looking back up

the view through the mid-block north-south walkway, looking north

the Laguna side

the sidewalk on Laguna

Haight St side, with renovated existing building

Old Posted Apr 11, 2016, 2:20 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Love that staircase. Would be the perfect place to hide a little sidewalk cafe halfway up. Would be a hidden neighborhood gem.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Apr 11, 2016, 4:42 PM

the corner project at Franklin and Page again, not looking anywhere near as bad as its rendering

wider angle

Just a couple of comments - went by the Franklin & Page building this weekend (One Franklin?). Looks OK but unless it will change, the color of the stucco on the first floor totally clashes with what appears to be the finished facade on the upper floors.

And am I the only person who is sick of these cheesy/tacky names plastered all over buildings. Alchemy? What does that even mean an why does the signage have to be so big. What's wrong with just referring to a building by it's address?

Old Posted Apr 11, 2016, 5:18 PM
Show me the blueprints

It's all marketing my dear Watson. I find solace in knowing that many will eventually be removed once the signage is inevitably vandalized.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 4:13 PM

a different angle on the 222 monolith

maybe a day late and a dollar short regarding comments about this building because the thread is closed.....

the new linkedin building seems to be quite vilified.
when john king writes a negative review, it kinda speaks volumes.

yet!!!! when viewed from the sidewalk (directly below the building) and next to the wood paneled lobby,

222 is quite interesting.

here's my take on it which I've tried to capture.

source: me

Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 4:39 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

That's the best shot of it that I've seen!
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyinthecity View Post
maybe a day late and a dollar short regarding comments about this building because the thread is closed.....

the new linkedin building seems to be quite vilified.
when john king writes a negative review, it kinda speaks volumes.

yet!!!! when viewed from the sidewalk (directly below the building) and next to the wood paneled lobby,

222 is quite interesting.

here's my take on it which I've tried to capture.

source: me
That is awesome! A building should be modeled after that perspective.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2016, 9:38 PM

Old Posted Apr 16, 2016, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tall/awkward View Post
while more height and units are nice, i wonder if they've considered whether the taller buildings will be able to pass the required wind tests for the area. IIRC 1 Van Ness (now 1 Oak) was delayed for awhile b/c its designs had too large on impact on street level wind around market x van ness.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2016, 6:43 AM

Quote:
... and this week, heavy equipment has appeared on site! as seen looking west from the train on Thursday, moving along Seventh St, north to south:

easy come, easy go. that equipment has left again, and all seems quiet.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2016, 4:00 PM

a bit more on the expanding pedestrian realm downtown... here's another look at Beale St, north from Harrison, where work has been going on as both Lumina and the MTC Headquarters (in the right foreground) wrap up.

at ground level looking south:

similar work has also been happening on the other side of the block, on Main. also looking south:

back to the MTC building, its makeover from the outside doesn't look like much more than a paint-job (to me at least), with the exception that it does have a new fancy front door on Beale:

Old Posted Apr 17, 2016, 4:38 PM

various other things from yesterday...

speaking of wider sidewalks, there is also a less-dramatic one in front of the new Splunk building on Brannan:

the building itself looks about done from the outside

at 1 Henry Adams in Showplace Square, we're starting to be able to see glimpses of the skin through the shroud. this is the east side

the west side

and a close-up

at Potrero 1010, the form for what I think will be a grassy sitting structure is visible near the 16th St sidewalk between the two buildings

the project at Third and 23rd St

wider context shot, looking west up 23rd toward Potrero Hill. (the fencing on the right is related to the work PGE is doing on the power line connection from this area to the fortress of doom on Folsom)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations