HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup

Old Posted Aug 8, 2009, 5:28 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Port Knol

In 1896 construction of Port Knol began in the city of Huntington. The port was built in the Pearl District and was completed in 1911. Three sections make up the entire port, the Dock Lauderhurst, Dock Knol and Dock Foundland. By 1915 it was in the top five busiest ports in the world and the Knol family [which was responsible for the project] became the wealthiest family in the country. Huntington was also at one of it's best point in time with the economy booming and the population growing faster than ever before.

But in 1922 a plague hit the city hard and nearly 15% of the cities population died. Another 20 percent, mainly poor people and wealthy people left the city. The wealthy began buying giant lots in the countryside, although the plague was airborn. Authorities began scouting the countryside for the homeless and began placing them in camps, although the fatalities were worse than in any other location in the country. In Huntington Port Knol was used as a passenger terminal when thousands began to flee the city. Big companies, along with the Knol Company made millions by over charging tickets.

The Great Plague of 22 was definitely a major event in the cities history but it didn't last as long as people expected so the city was up and running by 1929. Still, population was lower than before and the economy didn't grow as fast.

Time went by and Port Knol was in operation but the port began to deteriorate. Larger ships meant less traffic and a new port was needed. But the Knol Company had lost great amounts of money and couldn't afford to build a new one. On top of that the government began to abandon the port. In 1976 a new port opened some 6 miles away and Port Knol was down to it's knees. The Knol family went bankrupt in 1983 and the city bought the port.

The port went unused for nearly a decade. In 1992 a company began discussing plans with the city to develop the site and in 1995 a deal was approved to the Port Knol Group. The plan called for a new business district to be built. Other areas were considered but they were all scrapped due to distance from city center and the amount of space available. Construction began in 1997, starting by filling the middle and largest dock [Dock Knol].

Ground broke for the first skyscraper in the district in 1999 and was completed in 2003. Today the city is the cities main district and has recently seen many residential towers pop up, making Port Knol more of a city within a city. The Office towers are also getting larger and taller making it the area with the most skyscrapers in the nation.

Since the docks were never developed they don't have much historic buildings but a few ones for port business we're built. The most famous historic buildings in Port Knoll are the Rogers Powerhouse[s]. They are located in the back of the Pearl District, in the entrance of Port Knol. The Roger Bridge is also famous for it's Art Deco style and innovative design for it's time.

Okay, I'm on the early stages of designing this city. I plan on adding more details than before and working on other things like roads, sidewalks, subway entrances, parks, etc, etc...

Last edited by Aleks; Aug 11, 2009 at 8:44 AM.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2009, 7:35 AM

melikes...a not too clutered skyline..the one in the middle looks interesting,
kinda like a rocket.Thinking some varied lowrise around the edges would
really boost the height of the central towers.Plus your last building
in your other thread would be at home here...

...thinking a good aerial shot will be expected
in a few weeks.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2009, 12:27 PM

I love that curvy building in the center... and like toyota74 said, I like the uncluttered and 'airy' aura of your city... I guess I'll never find the patience to build cities in sketchup... haha... I can't work on one model and not do another... haha.... great job!

Old Posted Aug 8, 2009, 1:38 PM
Closed account

Yeessss A new city!It looks really good and I also the curzy building in the center!What is the buildings name anyway?

Old Posted Aug 11, 2009, 6:51 AM
nuttin

I Hopes to see more than your other cities (which all could have been beautiful.) though a lot of us are guilty of ditching cities

Old Posted Aug 12, 2009, 4:56 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Info on the middle building will come later on, but I will say that it's the headquarters for a very important company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocholate View Post
I Hopes to see more than your other cities (which all could have been beautiful.) though a lot of us are guilty of ditching cities
I think the problem with my other cities is that they're too big and I can't fill them with buildings. I'm trying to focus on small business districts. Actually, I'm kind of bummed that I made Port Knol too big because that means I have to add more buildings and more details!

Old Posted Aug 12, 2009, 5:10 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Bethel Communications

Founded in 1899, Bethel Communications has grown to be the largest phone company in the country. Nearly 50 percent of all home phone's use Bethel and 40 percent of mobile users are in the Bethel network. The company also offers internet among other things.

The Bethel Building was the first skyscraper to break ground in Port Knol in 1999 with an opening date of 2003. The building is 734 feet tall and has 54 floors [one mechanical].

The Bethel logo has been changed twice since the company was founded. Once in 1955 and again in 1995.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2009, 1:14 PM
Closed account

Those are great textures!So how big will your city get?

Old Posted Aug 16, 2009, 2:31 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Ha, those aren't textures. All my cities have been made by modeling and coloring. In this city I'm trying to tone down a bit and make it more realistic. Plus most cities I make are usually REALLY big and the buildings are unrealistically close together.

In this city the buildings are close together yes but they're also VERY wide. Some of these buildings are over 200 feet wide. I've gotten a lot of inspiration from a city but I won't say which. Unless someone can guess.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2009, 5:53 AM
nuttin

From Austin55

Old Posted Aug 17, 2009, 10:59 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

haha no, it wasn't Austin. All my inspiration came from real cities!

Old Posted Aug 17, 2009, 11:12 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

HSBC Building

The HSBC Building was completed in 2005 for the nation's headquarters of HSBC. The Building is 24 stories tall [1 lobby and 2 mechanical] and 331 feet tall. In 2008 a fire damaged the last floor of the building. Luckily, the last floor is only mechanical so no damage was made to the offices. The grass roof though was totally destroyed and a new grass matt was planted.

The clear glass in the building allows as much light as possible to enter the building and the high floors help too. The X bracing's are covered by a light-blue glass that's less transparent than the rest of the glass in the building.

There are two cores in the building but the X bracing on the sides help support the structure. The columns are located on the outline of the building so that no inner columns are needed.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2009, 2:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
haha no, it wasn't Austin. All my inspiration came from real cities!

It has to be European no?

Old Posted Aug 18, 2009, 5:51 AM
nuttin

Now thats cool.

Maybe from Hong Kong or Japan ?

Old Posted Aug 18, 2009, 12:28 PM
Closed account

woah!One of the coolest buildings on here!Great job!

Old Posted Aug 21, 2009, 5:49 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Thanks guys!

Austin's right. An European city is the main influence. Tokyo also gave me a lot of inspiration and I was planning on adding some fat Tokyo-like buildings! I actually added some but they looked to funkay. Tokyo is definitely in the top 3 influences for this city.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2009, 3:59 PM

That last one is really great, especially the first shot. Great, clean and modern design!

Old Posted Aug 25, 2009, 1:46 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

10 Foundland Square

10 Foundland Square is a 393 ft tall building in Port Knol. The building was designed by the Knol Architect & Associates [KAA]. The office building has 28 floors of office space plus one service floor.

10 Foundland Square is mostly famous for it's square-section facade and colorful selection. It has been featured in 2 major movies. In the movie Sarah's World, Sarah's office was in the top floor.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2009, 6:06 AM
<:

love your new buildings! all look very beautiful

Old Posted Aug 27, 2009, 12:47 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Thanks! I'm sad that photobucket did a bad job with the upload because they look better than that. I began adding people to my city and I've changed a few buildings here and there. Hopefully I won't get bored of this city fast so I can do more than before.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup