HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Jun 3, 2009, 4:17 PM

Toronto: Transit City LRT discussion

I went through the forum and did not see a Transit City topic, so wanted to show an update on the progress at this point.

http://www3.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Pro...city/index.jsp

That is the official TTC web site for the project, it encompasses 7 new light rail lines across the GTA and the backbone of the system is the new, approximately 32km Eglinton Crosstown line of which 10km will be below ground.

They have funded the construction of Eglinton, Finch West, and updating the Scarborough RT. Also, Sheppard has been funded to be completed as LRT (which I have a lot of opinions on, but its funded).

Here is the official map.

I will post more in terms of articles and information as time progresses, but its been a hot discussion for a while and wanted to introduce the topic here.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2009, 6:10 PM
BANNED

The Eglinton route will be great, as it's badly needed. Eglinton buses already run at 2 minute headways through the central portion of the city during morning rush hour ( http://www3.ttc.ca/Schedule/schedule...ON_at_BATHURST ), 5 minutes or less midday, and 8 minutes or less until about 1:30am, yet they still get packed to the gills. The 10km underground route will GREATLY increase speed and capacity over the current buses. Hopefully it will spur some highrise/high density development around the stations west of Yonge and east of Mount Pleasant. I don't see why it wouldn't. In terms of service quality the underground stretch should be identical to the subway system.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2009, 8:06 PM

The ENTIRE line will be a huge improvement over the current bus. I cannot stand the 32 bus during the weekdays, and weekend mornings.

Everyone has a lot of opinions on Sheppard East LRT. But let's get it straight. It will NEVER be completed as a subway. They couldn't even fund it in 1994, as the costs skyrocketed.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2009, 1:38 AM
CIA since 2003

Sheppard Subway Functionality

Does the Sheppard Subway interline with the Yonge line, or does it require a transfer? The line had not opened yet last time I was in TO. I suspect it does not interline.

If it does not interline, I think functionality would be improved by converting the existing tunnel to light rail (and hopefully by preserving the potential to convert it back to metro rail in the future). That way, trips on Sheppard light rail could get downtown with only a single transfer at Yonge. Otherwise, it requires a transfer from LRT to Sheppard Subway, and another transfer to the Yonge line.

Another possibility would be to interline the Sheppard LRT with the Don Mills LRT. This would be particularly useful if the Don Mills LRT meets the Bloor/Danforth line at Broadway, and interlines with the Broadview/King Streetcar. This would allow a one seat trip from the eastern terminus of the Sheppard LRT all the way to Downtown.

Other than that, I am pretty impressed with the plan. My only other concern is the frequent stop spacing along some lines. It's important to strike a balance between accessibility, coverage and speed, but I'm concerned the frequent stops at the far ends of lines will impact overall speed too much to maximize ridership.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2009, 2:39 AM

No, Sheppard requires a transfer, and I highly disagreed with the idea of building the rest of it as LRT. Its going to require two transfers just to get to the Yonge subway now if you're further down the line. If you were already on a bus, you could just stay on it until it reached Sheppard-Yonge. If you take Light Rail from points east to North York it slows it down tremendously.

Considering how short the Sheppard Stubway is, I wouldn't totally oppose transforming it to Light Rail. They only have 4 cars per subway train anyway.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2009, 2:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonTO View Post
No, Sheppard requires a transfer, and I highly disagreed with the idea of building the rest of it as LRT. Its going to require two transfers just to get to the Yonge subway now if you're further down the line. If you were already on a bus, you could just stay on it until it reached Sheppard-Yonge. If you take Light Rail from points east to North York it slows it down tremendously.
Us Scarborough people are already use to needless transfers. It is part of living in the east end

This will be like the subway/RT connection where you transfer between trains.

I was just at the meeting the other day for the SRT extension and was impressed with the tunnel and elevated ideas. Parts of it will go through a tunnel and the new line will carry 90,000 riders a day.

Last edited by miketoronto; Jun 6, 2009 at 12:58 PM.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2009, 4:11 AM

TransitCity is suppose to offer frequent, comfortable, enviornmentally sound, reliable, community sensitive transit.............it does all those very well. But the TTC also says it's "rapid" transit which is BS. Yes it will have ROW, prepaid & all entry modern LRT trains but most of the system will have stops every 2 to 3 blocks!. Not fast by any exageration. It wouldn't matter if the uses the SpaceShuttle when stops are that close it amounts to nothing more than a better streetcar with Eglington as the exception due to 10km tunnel and spacing averaging 800m.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2009, 11:09 AM

TTC's Transit City ($10 billion)

versus

Eglinton West subway from Allen to Renforth ($2.5 billion)
plus
Extensions of Sheppard subway to Downsview and SCC ($3 billion)
plus
Extension of Bloor-Danforth subway to SCC ($1.4 billion)
plus
Pape-Don Mills subway from Union to Sheppard ($4.4 billion)
minus
Expansion of Bloor-Yonge station ($1 billion)
minus
Installation of automated train control on the Yonge-University-Spadina subway ($340 million)
equals
Doady's Transit City ($10 billion)

Too bad.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2009, 1:53 PM

I think its too bad they didn't start by building a subway DRL and subway Eglinton and extend Sheppard as subway... But whats done is done.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2009, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretAgentMan View Post
Does the Sheppard Subway interline with the Yonge line, or does it require a transfer? The line had not opened yet last time I was in TO. I suspect it does not interline.
Building the Sheppard Line North to East, and the West Connections were extremely difficult and costly. The YOnge Line is at capacity at the moment, and adding interlining complexity would only degrade the service. And the Sheppard trains are only 4 cars.

Quote:
If it does not interline, I think functionality would be improved by converting the existing tunnel to light rail (and hopefully by preserving the potential to convert it back to metro rail in the future). That way, trips on Sheppard light rail could get downtown with only a single transfer at Yonge. Otherwise, it requires a transfer from LRT to Sheppard Subway, and another transfer to the Yonge line.
I actually agree with converting the Sheppard Line to Light Rail. The tunnel diameter is large enough to have OCS installed. The Light Rail is going to be on the same level as the subway. Riiders will only have to walk a short distance to the LRT. It's much more convenient than the current transfer to buses.

Quote:
Another possibility would be to interline the Sheppard LRT with the Don Mills LRT. This would be particularly useful if the Don Mills LRT meets the Bloor/Danforth line at Broadway, and interlines with the Broadview/King Streetcar. This would allow a one seat trip from the eastern terminus of the Sheppard LRT all the way to Downtown.
There is talk about, but it's not likely to happen, since the Sheppard LRT will have to go underground to meet the subway.

Quote:
Other than that, I am pretty impressed with the plan. My only other concern is the frequent stop spacing along some lines. It's important to strike a balance between accessibility, coverage and speed, but I'm concerned the frequent stops at the far ends of lines will impact overall speed too much to maximize ridership.
The TTC did a study, and discovered(surprise, surprise), station spacing lengths along the LRT will bring in more riders, with a minimal increase in travel time. The stops will be between 400-500 meters. That is a good compromise, as many residents where concerned the stops would be too far apart. YOu have to serve the citizens, and not some outdated assumption that speed attract riders(It doesn't).

Last edited by Justin10000; Jun 7, 2009 at 2:19 PM.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2009, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
TransitCity is suppose to offer frequent, comfortable, enviornmentally sound, reliable, community sensitive transit.............it does all those very well. But the TTC also says it's "rapid" transit which is BS. Yes it will have ROW, prepaid & all entry modern LRT trains but most of the system will have stops every 2 to 3 blocks!. Not fast by any exageration. It wouldn't matter if the uses the SpaceShuttle when stops are that close it amounts to nothing more than a better streetcar with Eglington as the exception due to 10km tunnel and spacing averaging 800m.
The term "Rapid Transit" is used loosely by transit agencies.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2009, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin10000 View Post
The TTC did a study, and discovered(surprise, surprise), station spacing lengths along the LRT will bring in more riders, with a minimal increase in travel time. The stops will be between 400-500 meters. That is a good compromise, as many residents where concerned the stops would be too far apart. YOu have to serve the citizens, and not some outdated assumption that speed attract riders(It doesn't).

I had no idea they did a study. Is there a link to this, because its so hard to find any studies about Transit City as it seems like none have been done. So if you have links that would be great.
It has been about 8 months and I still don't have an answer from the TTC as to the speed of the Transit City lines, and they have not studied anything yet according to them.

Would love to see this study as another report by the TTC cited slow travel times as the number one reason people don't use transit.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2009, 8:30 PM

While Sheppard LRT is not being planned the best way possible, I have high hopes for Eglinton LRT. As discussed on other forums, I wished they would purchase the higher quality Flexity Swift trains instead of Flexity Outlook for Eglinton because its going to be the backbone of the new system and a city-wide affair.

And mike, that's a problem with Transit City thus far. There isn't enough forthcoming information about their plans. They have kept a lot of information private and its really annoying.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2009, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Building the Sheppard Line North to East, and the West Connections were extremely difficult and costly. The YOnge Line is at capacity at the moment
... and of course, the Eglinton LRT will not affect the Yonge Line at all.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2009, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doady View Post
... and of course, the Eglinton LRT will not affect the Yonge Line at all.
The biggest problem I've seen on other forums is that there is this irrational pro-transit city attitude and they consider everything else 'ignorant' or not qualified to talk, and just to let people know that kind of attitude will not be tolerated here. There is no down talking to anyone on this topic. I'm only posting this warning because of what I've seen on other forums.

I'm not anti-transit city even though I preferred subway, the only mistake of Transit City I think is a major problem is Sheppard LRT. They need it to be entirely one technology, interconnected with no transfers at Don Mills.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2009, 4:57 AM

Ridership stats from the Transit City website. It should be noted that this is the first time the TTC has used ridership in the distant future on projects. Usually they say that when the line opens "the ridership is projected to be such and such".
However it seems the TTC is taking a page from American transit system which use ridership figures in the distant future to make ridership look like it will be higher than it really will be.

Anyway onto the ridership figures.

Just to compare, the Sheppard Subway at 6.5 KM carries about 49,000 riders a day. Lets compare this little 6.5KM line to the projected ridership on these transit city lines.

Sheppard East
14-kilometre long route
Current bus routes: 85 Sheppard East, 190 Scarborough Centre Rocket
Ridership in 2006: 9 million
Ridership in 2021: 20 million
Daily ridership: 54,794

A compleated Sheppard subway to STC is projected to carry well over 150,000 riders a day or more.

Etobicoke- Finch West
18-kilometre long route
Current bus routes: 36 Finch West
Ridership in 2006: 15 million
Ridership in 2021: 24 million
Daily ridership: 65,753

Eglinton Crosstown
31-kilometre long route
Current bus routes: 32 Eglinton West, 34 Eglinton East
Ridership in 2006: 32 million
Ridership in 2021: 52 million
Daily ridership: 142,465

Waterfront West
11-kilometre long
Current routes: 501 Queen, 508 Lake Shore, 509 Harbourfront
Ridership in 2006: 8 million
Ridership in 2021: 15 million
Daily ridership: 41,095

Don Mills
18-kilometre long line
Current bus routes: 25 Don Mills, 81 Thorncliffe Park
Ridership in 2021: 24 million
Daily ridership: 65,753

Jane
17-kilometre long route
Current bus route: 35 Jane
Ridership in 2021: 19 million
Daily ridership: 52,054

Scarborough Malvern
15-kilometre long route
Current bus routes: 116 Morningside, 86 Scarborough
Ridership in 2006: 8 million
Ridership in 2021: 22 million
Daily ridership: 60,273

Old Posted Jun 7, 2009, 5:11 AM

One more interesting stat.

Sheppard Subway
5.5 KM
7 minutes travel time end to end

St. Clair Streetcar in full transit city style right of way
6.2 KM
35 minutes travel time end to end.

510 Spadina Streetcar in full right of way.
3.2KM from Bloor to Queens Quay
Travel time: 20 minutes

Yonge Subway
3 KM from Bloor to Front Street
Travel time from Bloor to Union: 5 minutes.

Route 95 York Mills bus
15KM Yonge to Markham Road
35 minutes travel time end to end

Last edited by miketoronto; Jun 7, 2009 at 5:21 AM.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2009, 5:46 AM

^^ Don't say that! You don't build rapid transit so people can go somewhere fast when they can get up earlier so they can spend twice as much time on their commute and take in the lovely Walmarts and McDonalds.
TC has a lot of good benefits but speed isn't one of them...........this is not rapid transit in any sense of the word. One only to look at the number of stops, lights. intersections, and transfers to see that.
That's another thing that gets me about TC..........why all the separate lines?
Why the hell do you have to transfer at Kennedy from one TC line just to keep going the same direction? Why isn't Finch/Sheppard made one route and ending at STC or atleast every other train. Why no STC TC station?
Why does the Jane line end at Bloor instead of heading further south to Waterfront. Why doesn't Toronto interline suchas Miminco line to downtown every 4 minutes and Miminco to Jane LRT northbound every 4 minutes as opposed to transferring.
If you look at a TC map it is a bunch of disjointed and disconnected streetcar routes and much of it will be regretted 30 years from now.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2009, 7:48 AM
YIMBY co-founder

Quote:
As an everyday transit rider (not in Toronto, admittedly) I can say I don't care about km/h. I care about destinations/hour. That is not to say number of stops/stations, but rather number of trip destinations (as in, friends places, work, shops, museums, parks, bars...) I can reach conveniently in an hour or halfhour. That's important to me, not the km/h. That does mean that in parts of the city where such destinations are bountiful the stops should be closer together and I'll gladly sacrifice km/h for that.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Old Posted Jun 7, 2009, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
^^ Don't say that! You don't build rapid transit so people can go somewhere fast when they can get up earlier so they can spend twice as much time on their commute and take in the lovely Walmarts and McDonalds.
TC has a lot of good benefits but speed isn't one of them...........this is not rapid transit in any sense of the word. One only to look at the number of stops, lights. intersections, and transfers to see that.
That's another thing that gets me about TC..........why all the separate lines?
Why the hell do you have to transfer at Kennedy from one TC line just to keep going the same direction? Why isn't Finch/Sheppard made one route and ending at STC or atleast every other train. Why no STC TC station?
Why does the Jane line end at Bloor instead of heading further south to Waterfront. Why doesn't Toronto interline suchas Miminco line to downtown every 4 minutes and Miminco to Jane LRT northbound every 4 minutes as opposed to transferring.
If you look at a TC map it is a bunch of disjointed and disconnected streetcar routes and much of it will be regretted 30 years from now.
You outlined a great example of why Sheppard LRT is being planned so poorly: no connection at SCC, transfer at Don Mills to get on the Subway (and yet another one at Sheppard-Yonge of course to get on the Yonge subway to downtown).

Someone told me one of the other lines isn't bidirectional down the street its planned on, so one direction will go up several blocks away, while it goes in the other direction on the street it supposed to be on.

Transit City has some major problems in my mind, but Eglinton LRT is one line I think can be a success. Its the major backbone of the system, and with a 10km central tunnel it can be highly, highly successful if they do it right.

Another problem I forsee in Transit City in regards to Eglinton LRT is that they should use the higher quality Flexity Swift vehicles with the better coupler system and more modular design and they also travel at higher speeds.

Bombardier has two versions of its light rail vehicles, one is more of a modular LRV than a simple tram, its called the Swift:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flexity_Swift
http://www.bombardier.com/en/transpo...01260d800126b8

^I notice someone took it upon themselves to edit the Wikipedia article to call the Swift a 'tram' because of discussions found on other forums. LOL

The lower quality, slower vehicles that are being purchased to replace the old TTC Streetcar network are the Flexity Outlook vehicles:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flexity_Outlook
http://www.bombardier.com/en/transpo...01260d8001269c

While these vehicles are fine, they aren't as customizable, are slower, and are slightly smaller in size (although the Transit City and TTC administrators haven't revealed how big car sizes are for the order for the TTC Streetcar network).

The net benefits if they use the same, less modular, and slower Outlook trams for the TC order is that they will probably have lower maintenance costs and can manufacture them more quickly as the factory in Thunder Bay won't need to be retooled.

All theoreticals of course, but I strongly advocate the purchase of the higher quality Swift series trains for Transit City. Having the right technology goes a long way toward a better system, and Swift vehicles are simply faster and more modular.

BUT, something new has popped up:

http://www.bombardier.com/en/transpo...01260d800a0a9b

The "Flexity 2" Trams appear to be a mix of both train technologies. We'll see if that's the technology that is being used here with the new Streetcar order and the new Transit City order.

BTW: for those who are unfamiliar with Toronto and the difference between the TTC Streetcar network and Transit City, Toronto has the largest traditional Streetcar network in North America. They are using older cars now and just secured replacement of them with the Bombardier Flexity Outlook vehicle.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation