HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 12:23 AM
Dare Mighty Things

Port L'Allegro, CA - A Google Sketchup City

Hello!

I'm starting a new Sketchup city, now that I have a computer that won't slow down majorly after building a few complex buildings. (Which killed my previous cities, btw)

Name: Port L'Allegro

City population: 297,382 (2000 Census)
MSA population: 312,115 (2000 Census)

Location: Approximately where San Simeon is on the map below:

Description:

Port L'Allegro was founded in the late 1800's as a local shipping port for goods. While the port itself was unsuccessful, the local tourism market boomed. Port L'Allegro remained small in size until the 1920's, when travel became easier to the small port. The Great Depression didn't really hit the city as hard as it did in other towns throughout the country, but after World War II, Port L'Allegro once again exploded in popularity. The 1950's and 60's would be the zenith of popularity of the 20th Century, when California was the place to be. Located conveniently for local Californians, and easy to access, tourism growth shined.

In the 1920's, a boardwalk started forming along the coast, as there was no main beach, and the water was too cold for swimming. Throughout the course of a century, this boardwalk has become the main tourist spot in town, and was often called a national landmark. All development downtown was centered on the boardwalk, and it remains the city's main entertainment spot today.

While growth in the city halted and tourism slowed down much in the 70's, and 80's, Port L'Allegro has been growing again rapidly since. In fact, it is projected that the tourism levels may exceed levels in the 1950s as early as next year. The town is booming once again, and the citizen's have a bright future to look forward to.

Pictures (I know, not much, but it'll grow big in time.):

Anthony

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 12:35 AM

Very nice! Very promising. cant wait for more pics

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 12:41 AM

Yes!!!! From the start I can see this is gonna be something special (and that you got a hell of a new computer (so many people and flowers).
I love the Rainforest Cafe.
If never saw your previous cities, but if you make this city the way you make your airports...
very promising indeed!

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 1:08 AM
World Machine

The Rainforest Cafe is a very cool touch. I like the layout so far, the boardwalk theme fits the location well. I'm looking foward to seeing what comes out of this city, because it sure does look promising.

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 1:50 AM
Registered Lurker

Those lowrises are beautifuly detailed. I love their windows, they are modern and elegant!

Rainforest Cafe is awesome! That is one of my favorite restraunts. You did a great job duplicating it.

This is a city with a lot of potential. Starting with lowrises is a really good way to go if you plan on having skyscrapers. It makes it easier later when you want to fill it all in.

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 2:24 AM
Dare Mighty Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by treras93 View Post
Very nice! Very promising. cant wait for more pics
Thank you! I've been loving making this city, and I have a lot of ideas on what to do in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by verticalextropy View Post
Yes!!!! From the start I can see this is gonna be something special (and that you got a hell of a new computer (so many people and flowers).
I love the Rainforest Cafe.
If never saw your previous cities, but if you make this city the way you make your airports...
very promising indeed!
Thanks again! I indeed do better at details versus simple, but my old computer didn't agree. Luckily, I've been able to plow away, and with the new version of Kerkythea, the above renders took only 10 minutes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
The Rainforest Cafe is a very cool touch. I like the layout so far, the boardwalk theme fits the location well. I'm looking foward to seeing what comes out of this city, because it sure does look promising.
Thank you again! I actually was inspired to model the boardwalk a little bit off of Virginia Beach and the Santa Cruz boardwalk, mixed with Californian restaurants and shops to add to the feel. Look for In-and-out soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Those lowrises are beautifuly detailed. I love their windows, they are modern and elegant!

Rainforest Cafe is awesome! That is one of my favorite restraunts. You did a great job duplicating it.

This is a city with a lot of potential. Starting with lowrises is a really good way to go if you plan on having skyscrapers. It makes it easier later when you want to fill it all in.
Thank you Peter! My initial inspiration to do this city actually came from seeing your low-rise work in Sabal Island, and visiting San Francisco's Fisherman's Wharf...in fact, I actually ate at Rainforest while I was there, and it is indeed a pretty sweet place!

Anthony

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 4:15 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Santa Cruz is AMAZING! Great city you have here. Looks like Peter has some serious competition. I like it and I also like that you're not making it a big metropolis like most forumers here. Just keep it small and simple.

Those are A LOT of details buddy. What kind of computer do you have?

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 4:30 AM
Dare Mighty Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks0o01 View Post
Santa Cruz is AMAZING! Great city you have here. Looks like Peter has some serious competition. I like it and I also like that you're not making it a big metropolis like most forumers here. Just keep it small and simple.

Those are A LOT of details buddy. What kind of computer do you have?
Nah, no serious competition needed, though I wouldn't mind a bit of friendly competition. Hey, in a business sense, competition is good for the consumer, for sure!

There will be quite a few hotels in Port L'Allegro, one or two will probably reach above 30 stories, and not only that, but because of the terrain, Port L'Allegro is a very condensed city, so I plan on having a lot of midrises, and maybe a few buildings above 20 stories here and there...meh, to compare it, look at a picture of Boise's skyline, add 6 or 7 hotels that have a decent impact on the skyline, and voila! That's what I'm thinking of shooting for.

BUT that's all preliminary plans...nothing says they can't change.

Anthony

btw: Major update tomorrow, I worked on the city for about 4 hours today and now I'm exhausted!

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 10:35 PM
Dare Mighty Things

Update!

Added a few new buildings, modified current boardwalk (added new angles, more people, trees), and set the layout for future development!

Hope you like! I'll post more pictures soon...

Anthony

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 10:49 PM
World Machine

Short of being a photograph, that's about as realistic as you're going to get. Right down to the layout, the railings, the positioning of the trees, it's all very realistic. I really like all the shops and the overall scene. Very calming.

Excellent work!

Old Posted May 2, 2008, 2:56 AM
Dare Mighty Things

Quote:
Short of being a photograph, that's about as realistic as you're going to get. Right down to the layout, the railings, the positioning of the trees, it's all very realistic. I really like all the shops and the overall scene. Very calming.

Excellent work!
Thank you! I'm happy you say that, but I look at it so much when making, the realism just doesn't sink in. , and Kerkythea renderers and city builders get that feeling as well?

Here's a little teaser to my latest edition, can you guess what it is?

Hint: A very popular chain that serves a not so nutritious, but ohhhhh so delicious snack.

Anthony

Old Posted May 2, 2008, 2:58 AM

Looks like a Krispy Kream

those other shots are awesome! the deatail is ridiculous

Old Posted May 2, 2008, 3:13 AM
Registered Lurker

You wern't kidding when you said you did a lot. That's a huge update considering all the detail that goes into these, and it came out great! Very believable.

That newest one does in fact look like a Krispy Kreme! That must be it.

Old Posted May 2, 2008, 3:39 AM

Very nice so far! Can't wait to see more. And the weird thing is, L'Allegro is the name of the Solo I plan on doing for Solo & Ensemble next year for band. Weird...

Old Posted May 2, 2008, 4:07 AM
Dare Mighty Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilofSD View Post
Very nice so far! Can't wait to see more. And the weird thing is, L'Allegro is the name of the Solo I plan on doing for Solo & Ensemble next year for band. Weird...
Really? Haha, I actually got L'Allegro because that was the name of the girls choir at my High School, and I thought it rolled off the tongue quite nicely. Actually it's an odd thing: The all-girls choir is named L'Allegro, and yet the word "L'Allegro" itself is an italian word meaning "Happy Man."

Anyway, I appreciate the compliments! And yes, you guys got it! It's a Krispy Kreme, and it's conveniently located next to the In-N-Ou...err...uh, you'll see...

Oops...slip of the tongue.

Anthony

Old Posted May 2, 2008, 6:14 AM
Desert Dweller

Wow just, realistic, not much else to say.

Old Posted May 3, 2008, 4:53 PM

If there is a Krispy Kreme next to an In-N-Out I wouldn't mind living there.

Old Posted May 3, 2008, 6:29 PM

That Borders looks just 100%. The city is getting to look like a very nice seaside resort. I like the over all style of the buildings, I call that "American Mediterranean"

Quote:
the realism just doesn't sink in. , and Kerkythea renderers and city builders get that feeling as well?
Yes.
But you're being very careful with the texturing and if you keep up the level of detail, this city's got a good chance to get the IRL cup.

Old Posted May 3, 2008, 7:22 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

IDK, I don't think I wanna see a big resort. Just a hotel about 10 floors. With a Miami style but it's not in Miami so it wouldn't work.

I LOVE California Pizza! There's one here in Northgate and they make bomb ass Steak Pizza's. But they don't match up to Hot Mommas Pizza. Best NY/Chicago styled pizzas ever.

Old Posted May 4, 2008, 11:05 PM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks0o01 View Post
I LOVE California Pizza! There's one here in Northgate and they make bomb ass Steak Pizza's. But they don't match up to Hot Mommas Pizza. Best NY/Chicago styled pizzas ever.
California Pizza sucks. I'm sorry. They do a grave disservice to NY and Chicago pizza. If you have eaten pizza in either of those cities you would understand.

That is all.

Oh yeah. Nice city.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup