HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 7, 2020, 12:10 AM

Was in Long Beach over the weekend. I love it down there more and more. A couple I know just moved there from Highland Park if that's any indication of where Long Beach could go. The creative class don't want to retreat north east anymore. It's reached its limit I think. Long Beach is a great alternative.

Long Beach by Radio 5, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 7, 2020, 12:58 AM

I wonder why Los Angeles or most of America doesn't build basic high rise towers. I lived many years in parts of Asia where they build basic middle class housing. Basic rectangular blocks, stucco and some glass. I guess we call the commie blocks here. I guess they would be equivalent to 5-7 wood apartment blocks here.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2020, 1:03 AM

LA definitely could've benefitted from some Park La Breas.
One in Van Nuys, Mar Vista, Baldwin Hills, etc

Old Posted Oct 7, 2020, 2:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saybanana View Post
I wonder why Los Angeles or most of America doesn't build basic high rise towers. I lived many years in parts of Asia where they build basic middle class housing. Basic rectangular blocks, stucco and some glass. I guess we call the commie blocks here. I guess they would be equivalent to 5-7 wood apartment blocks here.
Suburban and owning own land and space kinda culture I think vs the cultures in the old world... Asia, Europe, Middle East, etc.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2020, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saybanana View Post
Capitalism. We think the free market is going to solve all our problems like our housing crisis.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2020, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman View Post
Capitalism. We think the free market is going to solve all our problems like our housing crisis.
How do you figure that capitalism and free markets are causing the housing crisis in California? California has tons of government intervention in the free market via regulations on environment impact, zoning, affordable housing/rent controls, Prop 13... etc. Maybe if we had less regulation... more housing density could get built, at a lower cost per unit, and we could start to dig out of this mess.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2020, 2:42 AM

Regulation is the issue. Especially here in the LA area. Must have XYZ and if it doesnt, its a non starter. IMO. Does it meet Earthquake and fire standards? Yes? BUILD IT. All of the other requirements the city demands just becomes wasteful at some point.

Yeah a friend of mine lives a block away. The tower has topped out it seems, I thought i noticed that the top 5 floors does this weird twist type deal that im not sure i saw in the renderings. Will be interesting to see how it looks once its done.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2020, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
Regulation is the issue. Especially here in the LA area. Must have XYZ and if it doesnt, its a non starter. IMO. Does it meet Earthquake and fire standards? Yes? BUILD IT. All of the other requirements the city demands just becomes wasteful at some point.
You say this, but then look at the comments on nearly any new development article. "It's so ugly, how could the city allow this to get built?" "Needs to have more affordable units." "Parking!!!" People generally want the government to intervene to make the city more walkable and attractive, incentivize more affordable housing, make sure development won't destroy their neighborhood character or take away parking (two NIMBY greatest hits).

I agree that we generally over regulate development, and I'd argue the regulation isn't very effective. Developers have to pay massive fees to fund affordable housing and new parks, but I sure haven't seen much in the way of new parks, and we all know the affordable housing situation. Our design regulations can be extremely detailed, yet we still get utter shit built all over the city. I don't think we should just do away with development regulations, but I agree they should be reigned in.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2020, 10:20 PM

October seems to be the month for the 6 year stalled Husks of Hollywood to finally open. We finally have a date for Target Husk opening which is October 21st... and speaking of high rises... The Sunset Gordon Tower is FINALLY OPEN... AGAIN... after a 6 year vacancy. It initially opened in 2013, then was sued and court ordered to vacate in 2014 and has been sitting empty ever since. It is now known as Lumina Hollywood

www.luminahollywood.com

Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 12:00 AM

Hi everyone, just want to introduce myself. I'm a huge fan of great architecture and urban development. I've been following this website for well over a decade since I was in my teens, but regrettably have never contributed. I'm originally from Buena Park/Huntington Beach but just recently moved to Las Vegas, NV. I hope to be updating the Vegas forum consistently, and when ever I'm back in SoCal (which is all the time) I'll do my best to update everyone on what's going on around Los Angeles, Orange County, and Long Beach. Thanks!

Long Beach:

Gerald Desmond Bridge Replacement

Shoreline Gateway

Last edited by WayOutWest; Oct 15, 2020 at 6:19 AM. Reason: Resized Images

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 1:12 AM

Welcome and thanks for posting Wayoutwest!! I did not realize the bridge opened this month. Really cool. I look forward to driving over it. Love the picture of the high rise too

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 3:21 AM

Great photos ! you beat me to it.

The bridge is odd....I will say lol. I heard it was delayed a few times because of construction issues and etc. So....Its weird when i drive over the vincent thomas and its pretty smoth. But....On the approach on the new bridge and even during the main span.....its a bit....lumpy? there road isnt even and you can see the unevenness with the road deck. it ripples. Granted i went on the day it opened and the day after. So not sure if it was still setting or what but it was a bumpy ride.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 7:52 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Great updates, and welcome to the forum, WayOutWest!
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Oct 17, 2020, 8:28 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAsam View Post
How do you figure that capitalism and free markets are causing the housing crisis in California? California has tons of government intervention in the free market via regulations on environment impact, zoning, affordable housing/rent controls, Prop 13... etc. Maybe if we had less regulation... more housing density could get built, at a lower cost per unit, and we could start to dig out of this mess.
California's housing affordability is all self-inflicted state governmental interventionism. No pity for self inflicted wounds.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2020, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Stoked Brah View Post
California's housing affordability is all self-inflicted state governmental interventionism. No pity for self inflicted wounds.
Ok???????????

Who asked if we wanted your pity?

Old Posted Oct 17, 2020, 11:13 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
Ok???????????

Who asked if we wanted your pity?
Nobody did. nobody asked you for your opinion either. am I not allowed to say anything here?

just wonderin'.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2020, 1:52 AM

Quote:
Nobody did. nobody asked you for your opinion either. am I not allowed to say anything here?

just wonderin'.
It's just a weird comment that came out of nowhere.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 7:32 PM

Quote:
I might agree to governmental intervention, partially, but the out-of-control Nimby's are also to blame!

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMBY View Post
I might agree to governmental intervention, partially, but the out-of-control Nimby's are also to blame!
Most places have NIMBY's, but California has armed them with CEQA. It's amazing to me to see how easy it is to build stuff outside of California.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 5:20 AM
REAL Kiwi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMBY View Post
Permit and regulation process is really to blame on the lower end. Homeowners and builders have a hard time affording the time and money it takes to hire architects, engineers and other consultants needed for permits before even starting the permit process that often times is impossible to define timelines and cost.

There has been a statewide attempt to make it easier for ADU's, but the process has generated industries and consultants that don't exist in other states which has continued to drive up cost.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations