HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup

Old Posted May 25, 2008, 1:58 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Seattle: Sketchup Model

Well, before I show some buildings I want to tell you a little bit about Seattle.

History-ish:

Seattle was founded in 1853 but discovered in 1851 byt the Denny Party who originally called the settlement "New York Alki." Alkin Point is part of Seattle in the West Seattle peninsula. In 1953 when the city was founded the name changed from "New York Alki" to "Seattle." The city was named after Chief Sealth, the leader of Suquamish and Duwamish Native American tribes, but white people at the time could not pronounce the name right and they named the city Seattle instead of Sealth. Seattle grew in the thousands during the Klondike Gold Rush which turned out to be a fake. The people that migrated back to mainland US from Alaska had no money and most stayed in Seattle because they couldn't fund their trips back home or because they liked it.

Now Seattle has about 582,174 residents. Although it only has a population of half a million people the economy is good making Seattle the only Northwestern city in the US to participate in the skyscraper mania.

Model:
The purpose of the model is to show what Seattle looks like and what it will look like by at least the year 2010.

Some of the models in the city-model were downloaded from the 3D Warehouse but I will try to make most of my own models.

Models Downloaded:
-Municipal Court of Seattle

-Bank of America Plaza

-Key Arena

-Washington State Convention Center

-Washington Mutual Tower

-Harborview Hospital

-Seattle Experience Music Project

-Camlin Hotel

-Amazon Building

and more but I will show them later on when I put the whole city together.

That seems like a lot but those are the buildings most of see or hear about. I'll try to model buildings that haven't been built yet or building U/C. I have a few models of existing building and I'm currently working on Olive 8 which will become the tallest residential building in the Northwest.

My Models:

1111 Third Ave

Puget Sound Plaza

Olive 8:

Thanks for reading and watching. I'll update later today or on Monday. The whole project will take a while because I will try to model as many buildings as I can not only in downtown Seattle but on Capitol Hill (mainly hospitals), Belltown (most dense residential area in Seattle), the Denny Triangle (soon to be on of the skyscraper areas), and the Seattle Center (Space Needle, EMP, etc.).

Old Posted May 25, 2008, 2:05 AM

very nice! Ive been waiting for this I cant wait to see it starting to come together I think your textures are a little fuzy,but you can fix that later. Quantity is good in this situation,so i would get asmuch done as possible and then go back and slowly add the qaulity,if you know what I mean.

I really should redo all my dallas ones,cause they suck,but then,I have my classic american ones...

I know you didnt make it,but that BOA is freakin awesome.

Old Posted May 25, 2008, 2:45 AM

wow those renders look amazing!

Old Posted May 25, 2008, 12:37 PM

very nice start1 how much of seattle are you gonna model?

Old Posted May 26, 2008, 3:26 AM
Registered Lurker

What a great idea Aleks. Your best so far is Olive 8. Are you going to model the terrain and infrastructure or use the basic flat aerial shot as ground?

Old Posted May 26, 2008, 7:23 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

I'm modeling everything even terrain. Gonna try to be extremely detailed.

Old Posted May 31, 2008, 11:33 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

Update. Kind of-ish. Anyways, here's a model of the Space Needle. There's a better one out there but I think Google got jealous and deleted it.

And I modeled Century Square. It's 381 feet tall and has 30 floors. My textures are off so my model probably has more floors. I didn't count. I also didn't finish the base cause mines looks like a face so I gave up. I'll finish it later on. Anyways, it has a small mall at the bottom and is situated in front of Westlake Plaza.

Old Posted May 31, 2008, 11:50 PM

i like your space needle. it's top is very detailed!
keep it up

Old Posted Jun 1, 2008, 12:14 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Woops, forgot to say that's not my model. I got it from the 3D Warehouse. I don't wanna take anybodies credit.

Butt. I added the remaining balconies to Olive 8. All I need are the railings and the base which is kind of funky so I might just draw it instead of stitching pictures together. Here's 2 renders of O8. They're both nearly the same but I added a spotlight on the first one it just didn't show up as much as I wanted it to. And the angle is different.

And here's some early models. The first model is the Olivian which is right across the street from Olive 8. The Olivian will be 345 feet tall when completed and will have 27 floors. The whole building will be apartments. It's the building in the foreground. The building in the background is called AVA. Construction hasn't started yet but when completed it will be the tallest residential building in Seattle along with Olive 8. Both towers will be 460 feet tall. AVA will have 38 floors, 1 less than O8.

Another early model. The building in the fore corner is called the Cosmopolitan. It was completed last year and nearly sold out. It was one of the best selling condo towers up to date. Then a developer bought the lot next to Cosmo and planned a 500 foot tower which is U/C. The new tower is called 1919 8th Ave (tallest building in the model) and will block the views of the Cosmo entirely from the East side. 1919 8th is only 18 feet away from the Cosmo. On the opposite block there will be another tower by the same developer with almost the same design. The shorter tower in the model is called 818 Stewart and will block about half of the views from the Cosmo of the Southside. On the last lot (Southeast behind the Cosmo) there's another 20+ story tower that will block the views of the Cosmo from East to West.

Everyone who bought a condo in the Cosmo wants to sell now but nobody will buy.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 6:58 AM
Finger Lickin' Good.

Wow! These are just stunning!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup