HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Aug 7, 2019, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
How do you know this is not the "final" rendering?

Hopefully they completely eliminate the stupid landscaping. Why are landscaping separations still a thing? I still see it in the suburbs (sadly) but they don't belong in urban areas. Also, I can't emphasize enough how the wild growth on the river needs to be cleared out to actually make it usable. I mean, what is the point of the river development right?
The natural bank along the West Sac side is cool and stands in contrast to the built-up pier across the river in Old Sac. The whole area around the West Sac river walk (don't know if you've ever walked around over there) is to be a natural open space with walking paths and is a gathering place for festivals/food trucks, etc. Those big trees provide shade and are a great amenity especially contrasted with Old Sac. There's plenty of space to develop artificial/concrete banks along the river, but i shouldn't be done here.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2019, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAGeoNerd View Post
The natural bank along the West Sac side is cool and stands in contrast to the built-up pier across the river in Old Sac. The whole area around the West Sac river walk (don't know if you've ever walked around over there) is to be a natural open space with walking paths and is a gathering place for festivals/food trucks, etc. Those big trees provide shade and are a great amenity especially contrasted with Old Sac. There's plenty of space to develop artificial/concrete banks along the river, but i shouldn't be done here.
It doesn't have to be a pier/boardwalk with concrete, it would be enough just to clear out the area into some kind of beach area with tiki stands and taco huts or something. Right now it's just a wild forest with rats and snakes. It will go completely unused with left untouched.

But if you think I'm full of it, lets see. We'll check back in a few years if the build it out as rendered. Lets see if anyone uses the river bank at all.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 4:25 PM

I think it's FAR better than the Natomas-style Capitol Yards complex across the street.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacTownAndy View Post
I think it's FAR better than the Natomas-style Capitol Yards complex across the street.
Yes anything is better than that crap. Again, with the stupid MASSIVE landscaping setbacks. Why are those even legal anymore?

But still. The Capitol Yards complex is a very low bar.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 1:35 AM

I like the concept as is. I do see a desire to engage people with the river, and I like the idea of a "beach." However, I think this will probably be a luxury development; so I doubt people will want to spend that kind of money to be right up against a trail with god knows who walking down it. Plus, the trees against the river add a higher level of scenery for those people who spend the bigger bucks to have a river view.

Additionally, that area does tend to flood; so I doubt you can get too close to the river without spending extra to build some kind of pier or retaining wall to keep everything out of the water.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 4:58 PM

Quote:
It doesn't have to be a pier/boardwalk with concrete, it would be enough just to clear out the area into some kind of beach area with tiki stands and taco huts or something. Right now it's just a wild forest with rats and snakes. It will go completely unused with left untouched.

But if you think I'm full of it, lets see. We'll check back in a few years if the build it out as rendered. Lets see if anyone uses the river bank at all.
The fact that it's "just a wild forest" is what it's supposed to be. The whole waterfront on the West Sac side between the I Street Bridge and Tower Bridge is a city park. It has walking trails and a sort of amphitheater area/gathering places. People jog and bike along there especially now since they're making the bike trail go all along the TBD to the Barn and eventually further south.

It's not a great analogy but if you've ever been to Portland they have a waterfront park all along downtown. It's mostly a platform but it's tree-lined with landscaped, grassy areas. Think of this as a similar use of space.

I do agree a beach or some other features like decks and things to get people closer to the water and make use of the waterfront would nice additions, but the open park space and trees along the riverbank right now is kind of the point.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 6:06 PM
Resu Deretsiger

They should just combine this thing into one tower....has it gone to the review board or whatever they do for architecture? Could goad them with letting them have a parking structure

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 7:43 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:

Majin, i think they are trying to maintain the original character of the river’s edge. Tiki stands and taco huts would not be in character and secondly some of those trees are home to natural wildlife habitat that if destroyed will never return again. Besides we cant put in beaches because in high water, they would be washed away.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 9:38 PM

I thought I had remembered hearing something about a new dock project at Raley's Landing near this project a while back. Looks like I wasn't losing my mind. RFPs went out a few months ago.

Quote:
The proposed work consists of the following: Constructing a new floating public boat dock and debris deflector in West Sacramento between the I-street bridge and Tower Bridge at Raley’s Landing. This involves removing and replacing remnant dock pilings as well as installing new dock pilings, a debris deflector, dock platforms, gangways, gate, electrical and lighting in the Sacramento River and land adjacent.
https://www.cityofwestsacramento.org.../783?selcat=51

Old Posted Aug 12, 2019, 4:12 PM

Quote:

Well it’s an artist concept rather than a site plan and obviously does not give us a entirely accurate view of how it will sit in its surroundings. But it does raise some questions. I believe the reason for the wide “natural” west river bank is because of flooding. On the Sacramento side they built a high levee, then raised the city up. To do the same on the WeSac side would require a lot of money and even then unlikely to get approved today due to the environmental concerns. I personally like the contrast but agree they need to rebuild the dock over the water. I believe they said they are planning to do that too. (See SacTownAndy’s reply above.) Given it would be a public (or semi-public) space they would very likely require public funds and go through a lot more hoops. Hopefully it’ll happen.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2019, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWAK View Post
They should just combine this thing into one tower....has it gone to the review board or whatever they do for architecture? Could goad them with letting them have a parking structure
As you know the higher you go the more it costs. Depends on the construction methods and materials. A higher building there might not be preferable because it’s close proximity to the Tower Bridge and Old Sacramento and views from Raley Field.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 4:37 PM

Fun little video promoting The Bridge District. (I'm an idiot, I don't know how to embed a youtube clip here).

https://youtu.be/6MCeywt3v9A

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 7:35 PM

Finished watching the news , west Sacramento with some new hotel development about to brake ground along the river front?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by novatone82 View Post
Finished watching the news , west Sacramento with some new hotel development about to brake ground along the river front?
Is it the one adjacent the Tower Bridge (on the north side)? Or is this something new and different?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanadvocate View Post
Is it the one adjacent the Tower Bridge (on the north side)? Or is this something new and different?
No, it is not the combination resort and condo complex we talked about a few months back.

I found a story about it located on the KXTV ABC10 website: https://www.abc10.com/article/news/l...4-72a20a11356b

The hotel will be located on West Crapitol Ave, across from a bowling alley. It will be a 115-unit Hilton Home 2 Suites extended-stay hotel. Not super-exciting, but a step in the right direction.

The Resort/Condo project (next to the Tower Bridge, just south of the Ziggurat Building) is supposed to begin construction next year, according to Aaron Laurel, West Sacramento's City Manager.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfenoc View Post
No, it is not the combination resort and condo complex we talked about a few months back.

I found a story about it located on the KXTV ABC10 website: https://www.abc10.com/article/news/l...4-72a20a11356b

The hotel will be located on West Crapitol Ave, across from a bowling alley. It will be a 115-unit Hilton Home 2 Suites extended-stay hotel. Not super-exciting, but a step in the right direction.

The Resort/Condo project (next to the Tower Bridge, just south of the Ziggurat Building) is supposed to begin construction next year, according to Aaron Laurel, West Sacramento's City Manager.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 6:50 PM

Calstrs is suppose to start construction in a few days. we should have construction cranes in both sides of the sacramento river.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 7:04 PM
Megalonorcal 11M~

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamehameha View Post
Calstrs is suppose to start construction in a few days. we should have construction cranes in both sides of the sacramento river.
Although it's another boring project

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma99a View Post
Although it's another boring project
I agree

Old Posted Dec 8, 2019, 8:32 PM

Washington Commons Cohousing

Not a skyscraper, I know, but haven't seen any discussion of this project on the forum. A neighbor of mine is involved. Cohousing is a new concept to me. Wondering what others on this forum know about both the concept and this project specifically?

https://www.washington-commons.org/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area