HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Apr 28, 2015, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
I don't know what to say, I think its making painfully slow progress, he thinks its coming along quick.

I guess we can agree to disagree.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2015, 9:15 PM

Love you Obadno!

Old Posted Apr 30, 2015, 1:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
I don't know what to say, I think its making painfully slow progress, he thinks its coming along quick.

I guess we can agree to disagree.

I also work at Fountainhead and think progress on The Residences seems a little slow, although that could be because I see it everyday so you don't notice the changes as much as someone who only sees it every so often. Anyway, here are a couple of cell phone pics I took today from the 55th St. side by the lake.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2015, 2:50 AM
Skyriser

Is there some huge market for apartments sitting in the middle of corporate sprawl that are far away from residential services (44th St and Van Buren is another) that I have no idea about?

Old Posted Apr 30, 2015, 3:28 AM

After 21 years, Pita Jungle’s original location on Apache moving to downtown Tempe

Quote:
The new Tempe location, on the northeast corner of Mill and University, formerly was home to Firehouse, which closed last summer.

Pita Jungle more or less has outgrown its current Tempe location on Apache, halfway between McClintock and Rural. The new space is larger.

The move is planned for late June.

Pita Jungle offers Mediterranean-inspired menu of “healthy burgers,” wood-fired pizzas, salads, and Mediterranean entrees. And, of course, its namesake pitas.

Bassel Osmani, Fouad Khodr, and Nelly Kohsok met while they were graduate students at ASU, and opened the original location in 1994, a time when there were few vegetarian or healthy options in the area.

In the two decades since, the restaurant, whose headquarters now are based in Scottsdale, has grown to 17 locations in Arizona and a couple in California.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2015, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
Is there some huge market for apartments sitting in the middle of corporate sprawl that are far away from residential services (44th St and Van Buren is another) that I have no idea about?
I agree that the 44th/VB location is a bit confusing, but I think that entire area is incredibly underrated and has so much potential with light rail, Papago Park, DBG, Zoo, Sky Harbor, Pueblo Grande, Tovrea, ASU Baseball, etc. all in the vicinity. It's also at the point where Scottsdale, Phoenix, and Tempe converge so it makes travel pretty convenient.

I actually think what's happened at Fountainhead is great, though. I-10 frontage will always attract commercial sprawl, but rather than massive parking lots and 1-story buildings, they've built taller and turned the surrounding acres into actual mixed use development with residential and retail on-site. Fountainhead was going to be there regardless, so I'm glad it was built in as "urban" and sustainable way as possible. Priest/Broadway isn't far from the center of Tempe, and there are plenty of residential properties and services/retail nearby.

The biggest issue I see regarding these projects is how they continue to prove that Tempe's streetcar plans are a complete waste. Creating mass transit lines to either/both of those areas would have been a much better strategy that would provide access to new residents and connect new destinations, as opposed to the streetcar whose route is essentially redundant with the initial LRT line and Orbitz bus system. A line to Fountainhead would've provided a building block toward eventually connecting the Civic Plaza on Rural/Southern (with a potential link to BRT along Rural); and, a line to Papago would've made connections to Scottsdale and/or SkySong possible.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2015, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
I agree that the 44th/VB location is a bit confusing, but I think that entire area is incredibly underrated and has so much potential with light rail, Papago Park, DBG, Zoo, Sky Harbor, Pueblo Grande, Tovrea, ASU Baseball, etc. all in the vicinity. It's also at the point where Scottsdale, Phoenix, and Tempe converge so it makes travel pretty convenient.

I actually think what's happened at Fountainhead is great, though. I-10 frontage will always attract commercial sprawl, but rather than massive parking lots and 1-story buildings, they've built taller and turned the surrounding acres into actual mixed use development with residential and retail on-site. Fountainhead was going to be there regardless, so I'm glad it was built in as "urban" and sustainable way as possible. Priest/Broadway isn't far from the center of Tempe, and there are plenty of residential properties and services/retail nearby.

The biggest issue I see regarding these projects is how they continue to prove that Tempe's streetcar plans are a complete waste. Creating mass transit lines to either/both of those areas would have been a much better strategy that would provide access to new residents and connect new destinations, as opposed to the streetcar whose route is essentially redundant with the initial LRT line and Orbitz bus system. A line to Fountainhead would've provided a building block toward eventually connecting the Civic Plaza on Rural/Southern (with a potential link to BRT along Rural); and, a line to Papago would've made connections to Scottsdale and/or SkySong possible.
I actually agree with JJ (hell freezing over?) A landlock city like Tempe needs to look at creative ways of building housing when and where they can. Part of the reason why their zoning has allowed other uses (like C-2 and C-3?) residential uses. I know I've seen this done in other markets with high density houses situated again corporate "sprawl." People will want to live close to where they work as well.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2015, 8:00 PM

Quote:

Fountainhead isn't...that isolated. There is a low-middle income neighborhood just to the south of the complex and retail within ....driving distance. I bet there demographic would be people that sacrifice proximity for amenities/quality at a more affordable price. (unless you work near Alameda and priest which many people do)

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 1:03 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Freeway access? Perfect for commuters-airport.

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo the Dog View Post
Freeway access? Perfect for commuters-airport.
And at fountainhead there is actually a Mark Taylor development across the street, it isn't as isolated as you think.

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 8:19 PM

Quote:
I also wouldn't call these locations "sprawl." They are all pretty centrally located, it's just that the office projects have a suburban design. I think it's good to mix housing in with these office developments, especially when the housing is somewhat urban (i.e. 44th and Washington).

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 8:43 PM

Apparently Revo has closed. Too bad, that was a huge restaurant in the transit center. It was packed game days, but probably not the rest of the time. I saw a sign on the door saying they'd be closed for the next few days when I was running Pat's Run. I knew it wasn't a good sign. Apparently a Fractured Prune opened up though on College.

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
Apparently Revo has closed. Too bad, that was a huge restaurant in the transit center. It was packed game days, but probably not the rest of the time. I saw a sign on the door saying they'd be closed for the next few days when I was running Pat's Run. I knew it wasn't a good sign. Apparently a Fractured Prune opened up though on College.
Revo had pretty good food, but I think the writing was on the wall with their service. Even on slower days, service was pretty terrible. One day, the small group I was with walked out because it took 5 minutes to get a menu and then we didn't see a waiter or waitress at all for 15 minutes (not even to bring water or get drink orders)!

Hopefully they'll be able to replace it with a better-run restaurant. The tea place next door seems pretty cool too. And yes, Fractured Prune opened up in University House, right across the way from Postino. Between that and their CityScape location, they've got a couple nice rail-friendly locations!

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 9:48 PM

Ugh, that's a shame. That entire part of downtown had really transformed from a ghost town to a nice, active connection between Mill Ave and ASU. I am sure it still struggles to get foot traffic - it's too bad the hotel hasn't seemed to add much and its retail space was really the only gap... University House isn't 100% occupied, but has a decent mix of restaurants. I don't have a good feeling that the cafe will survive on its own, or that the Revo space will get filled quickly...it took 7 years to get leased originally.

I liked that RevoBar brought a different kind of dining option to the College area, since it seems so dominated by fast-casual places. Hopefully, when ASU is able to build retail adjacent to the event canopy and as UH fills in, the variety of retail will improve.

Really wish they'd redevelop the University Towers.

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Ugh, that's a shame. That entire part of downtown had really transformed from a ghost town to a nice, active connection between Mill Ave and ASU. I am sure it still struggles to get foot traffic - it's too bad the hotel hasn't seemed to add much and its retail space was really the only gap... University House isn't 100% occupied, but has a decent mix of restaurants. I don't have a good feeling that the cafe will survive on its own, or that the Revo space will get filled quickly...it took 7 years to get leased originally.

I liked that RevoBar brought a different kind of dining option to the College area, since it seems so dominated by fast-casual places. Hopefully, when ASU is able to build retail adjacent to the event canopy and as UH fills in, the variety of retail will improve.

Really wish they'd redevelop the University Towers.
Several hundred more students will be living right there in a few months when the second tower of UH opens. I agree University Towers was once one of our only "towers" in Tempe, now it's a huge eyesore.

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Several hundred more students will be living right there in a few months when the second tower of UH opens. I agree University Towers was once one of our only "towers" in Tempe, now it's a huge eyesore.
Well, that's the problem, isn't it? Downtown Tempe has exploded with growth, but the majority of projects have been student housing. Retailers are going to be faced with serving a larger peak population from Aug-May with little change to the off-peak population during the summer.

More condos/market rate projects are needed in the area, especially near College, for existing businesses to survive and to attract a variety of retail that isn't just fast-casual joints and Scottsdale bar "branches." Hanover will be a great start, but aside from a couple of townhome projects, nothing else seems to be in the works. ASU is a major reason Tempe is as vibrant as it is, but with all of the corporate investment, it could really be a more diverse downtown.

University Towers is not only hideous, but also completely out-of-place with its suburban design. The newer projects are built right to the street, and the large lawn/landscaping breaks that momentum/energy.

Old Posted May 2, 2015, 12:47 AM

Agreed. But unfortunately, it's probably not going anywhere. They're converting it from upper-classmen to a school of engineering freshman community, and it's not slated for redevelopment in the campus master plan. Would love to see it redeveloped though, between it and its parking garage, that's some PRIME real estate!

Quote:
Well, that's the problem, isn't it? Downtown Tempe has exploded with growth, but the majority of projects have been student housing. Retailers are going to be faced with serving a larger peak population from Aug-May with little change to the off-peak population during the summer.

More condos/market rate projects are needed in the area, especially near College, for existing businesses to survive and to attract a variety of retail that isn't just fast-casual joints and Scottsdale bar "branches." Hanover will be a great start, but aside from a couple of townhome projects, nothing else seems to be in the works. ASU is a major reason Tempe is as vibrant as it is, but with all of the corporate investment, it could really be a more diverse downtown.

University Towers is not only hideous, but also completely out-of-place with its suburban design. The newer projects are built right to the street, and the large lawn/landscaping breaks that momentum/energy.

Old Posted May 3, 2015, 9:45 PM

There was a banner (and a guy waving a sign) saying the Residences at Fountainhead are now open. Clearly some of them still have quite a bit of work to do, but looks like some of them are good to go.

Old Posted May 4, 2015, 3:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsRider View Post
Agreed. But unfortunately, it's probably not going anywhere. They're converting it from upper-classmen to a school of engineering freshman community, and it's not slated for redevelopment in the campus master plan. Would love to see it redeveloped though, between it and its parking garage, that's some PRIME real estate!
Ugh, that's unfortunate - freshman having the lowest disposable income of all students... but, yes, I forgot about the garage, which is definitely a bigger problem, as it creates a huge block of dead space on Forest and 6th. Luckily, it was built with a pretty sizeable setback; it'd be great to see the ground level of the Towers converted back to retail with the lawn space used as large patios, and for the garage to be wrapped in either retail, or walk-up residential units (either upper classmen dorms, or maybe ASU could sell the garage off to a private party who could develop market rate apartments or townhomes).

That part of downtown is really going to be what determines whether or not there is a downtown Tempe beyond Mill Ave. Right now, it's essentially just an extension of ASU, but there are still so many empty lots and scattered cheap buildings perfect for redevelopment. I hope the momentum continues in that area now that Block 12, University House, the Annex, etc. are all complete.

Old Posted May 4, 2015, 5:20 AM

Quote:
Also, it looks like Hooters closed as well. Hopefully a better place can fill the space since 5th and Mill is a major area.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest