HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 6:05 PM

That is sickening. I really hope he IS the minority.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 6:15 PM
we built this city

After reading the above comments from the CH, I feel as though many have no concept of how Halifax will NEED to change over the next 5-10 years.

Last edited by worldlyhaligonian; Jun 20, 2008 at 10:54 PM.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 6:21 PM

Re: rob123... you know... sometimes it's just not worth the effort to bother replying. I really do fear however that young people will leave Halifax in droves if we don't start seeing some development.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 6:43 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

Man, and i thought the anti-development people here were bad!

Must be nice living in Fantasy Land...

Anyway, you're all welcome in Moncton if you get fed up with people like this rob guy in Halifax. Don't propose anything that tall though, people would panic.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 10:28 PM
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesmalley View Post
Man, and i thought the anti-development people here were bad!

Must be nice living in Fantasy Land...

Anyway, you're all welcome in Moncton if you get fed up with people like this rob guy in Halifax. Don't propose anything that tall though, people would panic.
Well thats the problem. the type of development that happens in Moncton, people in Halifax are all for and theres no complaints. Its when they try to put high rises in the core that some people make a fuss, and usually their arguments make absolutely no sense.

I'm sure someday in the future when and if proposals for high rises of 20 or 30 stories make it to Moncton, the same problems will arise.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2008, 12:09 AM

this rob123 person sounds like a cranky old lower middle class guy who hates life......ugh. the very worst for any community. I don't think that he's NIMBY, I think that he really does believe what he says. in defence of the location and the plan, it is indeed beside a large shopping mall (that's been there for over 40 years) and a railway line (that's been there for over 90 years) and a very ugly memorial space that's been there close to 100 years. Hate to break it to him but the area now is ugly ugly ugly. a new modern half decent structure in the neighbourhood with some new ideas, possibly new restaurants, new young people living there....it will do him some good

Old Posted Jun 16, 2008, 6:53 PM

'We want a safe place to play'
Children rally against proposed Bayers Road residential development

SUZY TEUBNER
Halifax News Net

Chants of "Children first!" and "We want a safe place to play!" were heard from a group of about 40 children last week, rallying to stop the development of a proposed 16-storey apartment building, set for the land next to the St. Andrew's Community Centre.

The kids, holding colourful signs, stood on the grass by Bayers Road as passing motorists honked in support.

"It's sad if they build a big building," said six-year-old Shyqwana James, holding a sign that said she wanted a water slide.

The property, located at 6955 Bayers Rd., was purchased by the Italian Cultural Association for $1 in 1998. It was declared surplus in 2004 when the land was offered back to the city. A private developer purchased the nearly one hectare of park land and after considering various options, proposed a single, 16-storey residential apartment building with underground parking with plans to donate a portion of the site to HRM for public open space and improve the HRM-owned cemetery. The development would require a plan amendment and changes to the land use bylaw to proceed.

A section of the land is an enclosed graveyard for unidentified Halifax Explosion victims and also contains private plots. Sister Helen Wallace has volunteered at the community centre for six years. The retired teacher and Sister of Charity is concerned about the developer building on a graveyard.

"Local historians have proven the land (adjacent to the enclosed cemetery) is a graveyard for poor people," said Wallace. "There are 30 people buried there. (An apartment building) is not compatible with the surrounding area. If a building was constucted there, a church would be more suitable on a graveyard."

Wallace said many people would like it to become a park.

"We need a safe place for the children," she said. "A soccer field and a place for senior's to practice tai chi. Financial gain is the only motive for developers, not for the residents. This was a graveyard. You don't build on a graveyard. If this was in a very expensive area of the city, this would never happen."

Kyle Gannon, 13, said that he would like to see a football or baseball field.

"I want them to make our community better. It's not really that pretty and the city should try to make stuff to make kids better," he said. "We should have a recreation centre for kids so they can be doing activities instead of just being outside doing nothing."

Mayor Peter Kelly said the proposal is still subject to public hearings.

"Plans may not go forward in that form. We have to look at demand and hear from the community," he said.

Kelly said when the opportunity came up to buy back the property in 2004, it went to staff and did not come back to council.

"There are provisions to have a buyback clause should the property be disposed of that the municipality would have first right of refusal. It's not in there. That's an error on our side. It should have been there," he said. "It's a learning process with an unfortunate outcome. We didn't cross our T's and dot our I's."

In the meantime, Kelly said a review is needed and he wants to work with the community.

"Let's see what we can do to work with the community and help them. We're working with the councillor and holding meetings and discussions to see what we can do for the community," he said.

Long-time area resident and co-organizer of the rally Julie Gannon said the surrounding area consists of lower-income housing with some privately-owned homes in the mix. There are approximately 800 children, not including teenagers.

"With public or low-income housing, people presume there's a lack of education. It's not. A lot of people have large families," she said. "All of the kids (in the area) utilize the rec centre. There is a gymnastics centre but the families in here can't afford to attend that. It's not that our kids can't do it (but) finances don't allow them especially with having larger families."

A proposed widening of Bayers Road also concerned Gannon.

"Traffic is already a problem. A lot of people cut through Romans to get to the highway if they widen Bayers Road.

traffic would be horrendous. It really affects the kids if they have to cross the streets. There's no safe place to play," she said, adding that playgrounds in the area are not well maintained.

A recent traffic study showed the development would not make an impact on the current 42,000 trips per day.

Gannon said the community uses the empty field for community events and childrens activities. The recreation centre on site also houses a daycare, an after-school program and a seniors program.

"It's a big community concern if it's gone and no longer there for us. Kids need a spot for kids and not just the little ones.

"My grandchildren live there and there's not a lot for them to do. If there is nothing for (kids) to do, they're going to get into trouble," said Gannon.

sue_teubner@yahoo.ca

Old Posted Jun 16, 2008, 7:02 PM
Closed account

I have to admit, I am a little more sympathetic to the NIMBY'ers on this one - the land would make an excellent park. That said, converting it into a park doesn't correspond with the circumstances of this situation and I still think it should go ahead and call bullshit on the "If this was in a very expensive area of the city, this would never happen" argument.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2008, 7:07 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I agree that the playgrounds etc. are dumpy. They should ask the developer to pay $1M for new equipment or something.

It really annoys me how people completely oppose things instead of realizing that these developments bring in money and more people to support local services. Some of these people try to shoot down developments and then turn around and complain about school closings, etc.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2008, 7:15 PM

Okay i have a few problems with the NIMBY's arguements here:

1) Bayers Road is already busy so this won't affect the local traffic problem.
2) There are plans for widening Bayers Road (bus lane) to reduce congestion and hopefully vehicle numbers and this is in an ideal spot to ultilize ths bus lane.
3) "A safe place to play" doesn't/will not describe this location. Its right next to Bayers Road one of the fastest/most dangerous to be around especialy with children. If they place a soccer field on this site what happens if a child runs out onto Bayers Road to retreive a ball? They should allow this building and use the open-space given by the developer (which is safely located behind the graveyard) to try to fit a soccer field or something for kids to play at. I know if i was a parent living in this area i would not want my child walking to/from, and playing around on the side of Bayers Road especially considering this roadway becomes a freeway in mere metres from this lot! Its much safer to have this located in the neighbourhood on a quiet street not on a freeway!

Old Posted Jun 16, 2008, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
"A safe place to play" doesn't/will not describe this location.
Couldn't have said it better myself.
This lot is a decent size. Why can't they build the building and still have a large redeveloped area behind it? I would think that would be more safe.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2008, 8:39 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire75 View Post
Couldn't have said it better myself.
This lot is a decent size. Why can't they build the building and still have a large redeveloped area behind it? I would think that would be more safe.
They are leaving part of it as open space. That's the whole reason for going with the 16 storey tower instead of the shorter options.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2008, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
"A safe place to play" doesn't/will not describe this location.
Exactly what I was going to say.
Plus, I generally disapprove of using children to further your own cause. Make up a sign, tell them to hold it and shout slogans and boom, instant sympathy for your cause. They're kids, not tools to use as you see fit.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2008, 3:36 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Tower plan falls . . . twins on the way?

By AMY PUGSLEY FRASER City Hall Reporter
Tue. Jun 17 - 5:38 AM

City hall’s consideration of a 16-storey tower at the foot of Bayers Road has been rescinded following a recent community council meeting.

So the developer is going back to the drawing board to present other options for his land at 6995 Bayers Rd.

A few weeks ago, dozens of people who attended a public hearing expressed concern that the tower dwarfed their neighbouring single-family homes.

And now, the latest word is that the single tower will be reborn as two, eight-storey buildings.

"It’s an instruction from my client," architect Dan Goodspeed said in a recent interview of the new drawings he’s undertaking.

The idea came from Coun. Patrick Murphy (Halifax North End) during last week’s Peninsula community council meeting.

"I think it’s a good compromise but it also shows that the developer is open to coming back with something different," he said Monday.

"He’s willing to work with the community."

It’s not a total renovation of the plans for the site, notes Coun. Sheila Fougere (Connaught-Quinpool), who says initial plans outlined two, eight-storey buildings or three, four-storey buildings.

Still, the councillor feels some people in the community won’t be pleased.

"Regardless of what is put there, it won’t meet people’s expectations of the site," Ms. Fougere said.

Locals have been crying out for more recreation space on the land.

However, the land was declared surplus to the city’s needs a few years ago — both recreationally and otherwise — and sold privately.

"There is an element of the community that wants that (property) for recreational space," Ms. Fougere said.

"But it’s been an empty vacant lot for more than a decade and it’s unlikely to be developed as recreation space, probably . . . because of its proximity to Bayers Road . . . and there is already a wonderful field and playground right in behind."

That’s why Peninsula community council last week approved changing the land’s designation from park and institutional to high-density residential.

Tonight at city hall, regional councillors will be asked to approve making the zoning change and schedule a public hearing.

( apugsley@herald.ca)
http://thechronicleherald.ca/Metro/1...html#commentos

Old Posted Jun 17, 2008, 4:40 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

So, looks like they've shot themselves in the foot and will be getting less public space now.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2008, 5:37 PM

Ah the drama. What value for money

Old Posted Jun 17, 2008, 5:44 PM

Maybe that kid will get her waterslide after all..Lol

Old Posted Jun 18, 2008, 4:19 AM

If this lot turns into a sportsfield i can somehow imagine this being said;

"Hey kids don't worry about hearing the referee's whistle, the 18-wheelers and buses doing 100 clicks-an-hour will deafen any noise on the playing field!"

Old Posted Jun 20, 2008, 7:22 PM

I think that article was off. There is a public hearing set for July 8th about ammeding by-laws to allow a sixtenn-storey building.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2008, 9:51 PM
You talkin' to me?

Public hearing on Bayers Road development postponed

A public hearing on the proposed development at 6955 Bayers Road has been put off until Aug. 12, after other matters during the July 8 city council meeting ran too long.

Kassner Goodspeed Architects considered a number of options for this site, but determined that a single, 16-storey residential apartment building with a total of 121 units and underground parking was the most suitable for the site and context. The proposed building meets the R-3 (multiple dwelling) Zone standards. The single building proposal reduces the extent of the development on the site resulting in the developer being able to donate a portion of the site to HRM for public open space. Improvements to the HRM-owned cemetery, which is the Memorial Grave Site for Unidentified Victims of the Halifax Explosion, are to be undertaken by the developer.

HRM Regional Council approved the recommendation to initiate a process to consider the proposed amendments to the Municipal Planning Strategy and Land Use By-Law as presented in a staff report on Oct. 31, 2006. A public information meeting was held on Jan. 4, 2007.

Following a second public information meeting, which was held April 23, a supplementary report was sent to the May 9 meeting of Peninsula Community Council. At that meeting, Peninsula Community Council rescinded a previous motion and recommended that Regional Council schedule a public hearing for the Plan Amendment and Land Use By-law amendments only.

Anyone who was signed up to speak at the July 8 public hearing are automatically on the list to speak on Aug. 12.

For more information, visit www.hali fax.ca/council/agendasc, and refer to case # 00930.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth