HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 30, 2020, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN/WI View Post
It will be nice to see some life pumped into this place. With the proximity to new housing and being so close to downtown, there's no reason Riverplace shouldn't be a draw for smaller tech companies. It will need a lot of work though and I'm not sure how much can be changed because I believe several of the buildings are historic.

In the 80's shortly after they redeveloped this place it was packed with bars, restaurants and offices and was hopping every night of the week.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2020, 4:32 PM

Yea I remember the bars. This was before the MOA was built and all their 4th floor entertainment venues at the time. Working 911 we were sending people to the Riverplace so much. I think if not mistaken it had it's own special task force.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2020, 11:37 AM

I wasn't around here when Riverplace got built. 2 towers of that magnitude on that side of the river. Must have been a heck of a fight. Credit to the developer.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2020, 4:10 PM

Quote:
I wasn't around here when Riverplace got built. 2 towers of that magnitude on that side of the river. Must have been a heck of a fight. Credit to the developer.
I'm still amazed that it has taken this long to finally get some other towers near them. It was over 20 years before Phoenix and Cobalt were built and they weren't even that large.
Finally Expo, Nord Haus, and Rafter were built, but it would be nice to see Alia get done and I'd love to see Wells Fargo do something with their block. I was disappointed when "The M" was scaled back from it's original 30 or so stories.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2020, 8:24 PM

Is the M the Nye's location. Because there's another initial great proposal that had to scale back. Way back.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2021, 2:01 PM

and not to forget Nord Haus second building initially was taller.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2021, 3:11 PM

God I hate the guy at Salt Lake City. OCD

Old Posted Jan 2, 2021, 7:27 PM

Heard a rumor that the old Joyce Methodist Church in Uptown might be torn down and replaced with apartments. Last I heard they were turning the church into apartments. The church itself is unique in it's Spanish styling to Minneapolis. There are only it and one other in the city. To lose it would be horrible. I used to own a house across 31st St from the church and always admired it's architecture. My friend gets things wrong a lot and I'm not finding anything on the internet about replacement, so.................

Old Posted Jan 3, 2021, 4:33 PM

Turns out she was wrong as I suspected. The old church is being converted (approved) to 51 apartments. My biggest problem is the church had no parking before and will have no parking afterwards. 51 units and no parking but the street. I used to live across the street and I'm the one who got the original permit parking in the area back in the mid 90's. This just flies in the face of that.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2021, 9:37 PM

I am just surprised overall that Minneapolis doesn't have more resident skyscrapers. I think given the choice and promotional advertisement you'd have a lot of people who would like to be downtown with all of it's amenities and a quick ride on the LRT get's you to St. Paul, the airport, the Mall of America and soon to the SW suburbs. It's a win win if you don't want the expense of a vehicle, even more so for those that are retired.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 3:24 PM

Hines just bought the surface parking lot at 9th and Marquette. They're floating the idea of a 700,000 sq. ft building... seems very specific and makes me think they're targeting a specific tenant.
The lot is good sized, makes me really wish they'd look at doing mixed use here and throw in some residential. They could fit a 50 - 60 story tower there if they wanted to.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2021, 12:19 AM

And with floor heights ever increasing, even in residential buildings, that might top our 3 tallest. We need TallBob to write a letter to Hines.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2021, 5:41 PM

Quote:
And with floor heights ever increasing, even in residential buildings, that might top our 3 tallest. We need TallBob to write a letter to Hines.
Absolutely!! TallBob only speaks what most of us are thinking...

Old Posted Jan 5, 2021, 9:12 PM

There is truth to that.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2021, 1:41 PM

Basim Sabri is proposing a pretty big expansion of the Karmel mall complex. The two-story Karmel Square building midblock on Pleasant and the Walgreens on Lake would be demolished, to make way for an eight-story building containing a grocery store on the ground floor, office space on floors two and three, and 113 apartments on the five floors above. Additionally, the first and fourth floors of the existing parking ramp would be converted into additional retail space to replace the space lost in the existing Karmel Square building. Unfortunately, the attachment portion of the packet wasn't posted, so there's no floorplans or renderings, but it sounds like the tallest portion of the building would face Lake St and step down towards the Greenway.

https://www.southwestjournal.com/news/d ... expansion/

Sounds like they upped the size from when this first came out in feb. I think that Walgreens never re opened so there should be little in the way of this breaking ground. Lake st needs all of the positive momentum it can get. I had assume this was dead due to covid. Assuming the design is similar Im glad its not another box but rather has some slight character.
Over all sounds like a great plan for this part of lake street!

Old Posted Jan 6, 2021, 5:14 PM

The nice things about the Sabri project are 1) it provides a grocery store for the neighborhood 2) it is a unique design in an area that started getting pretty stale with 5/6 story stick boxes 3) it's redevelopment in an area that was decimated in the riots last summer

Old Posted Jan 7, 2021, 7:51 PM

Quote:
I actually hope Alia 2.0 does go back. The area across the river from downtown has so many buildings that are all pretty close to the same height creating a plateau type effect. Something taller could really help to break that up. And besides the height has already been approved once.
From what I can see, Alia 2.0 looks to be slightly (by a couple of feet) taller at 294' and 28 stories. It will be about 10 feet taller than Expo, but nowhere near the condo towers at Riverplace.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2021, 3:48 PM

Yea I saw that it's going to be a bit taller than we originally thought. Also losing all underground parking. It's all good. I'd love to see another dozen towers over on that side of the river.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2021, 12:26 AM

I wonder how soon they can get digging.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2021, 6:48 PM

delete

Last edited by MPLS_Const_Watch; Jan 9, 2021 at 6:48 PM. Reason: delte

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations