HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Dec 8, 2023, 4:36 AM

Jericho Lands | 49fl | Proposed

Quote:
On Wednesday, after numerous rounds of public consultations and design iterations, the City of Vancouver published the draft policy statement for the 90-acre Jericho Lands project being undertaken by the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations — as MST Development Corporation — and the Canada Lands Company.

MST Development Corporation and the Canada Lands Company jointly own the 52-acre eastern portion of the Jericho Lands, while MST has sole ownership of the remaining 38-acre western portion. Although the ownership structure is different across the two portions of the site, the two parties are developing the Jericho Lands as a single project, with Toronto-based Urban Strategies leading the planning and design.

The policy statement establishes planning principles and policies that will guide the redevelopment and is akin to what other municipal governments refer to as a "master plan." The policy statement is the culmination of work that began as far back as 2018 and provides new details about land use, density, and phasing, among many other aspects.

The draft policy statement is pending final review by the City and remains subject to change. Council is expected to consider the policy statement in January.
Phasing

Quote:
Full build out of the Jericho Lands is estimated to take between 20 and 30 years.

Full article:

https://storeys.com/jericho-lands-po...atement-draft/

Old Posted Dec 8, 2023, 5:17 AM

Quote:
Draft Policy Statement is now online!

After four phases of consultation with the community, xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations’ Community Members, people across the city, and other stakeholders, the draft ʔəy̓alməxʷ / Iy̓álmexw / Jericho Lands Policy Statement has been developed. The draft Policy Statement establishes planning principles and policies that will guide the future redevelopment of the 90-acre site.

We are sharing a copy of the draft Policy Statement, and associated materials, for early public review prior to City Council’s consideration. Note: the draft Policy Statement is pending final City review and is subject to change ahead of its consideration by City Council.
https://www.shapeyourcity.ca/jericho-lands

Old Posted Dec 8, 2023, 6:13 AM

Me Like-ey

Images from the article:-

One thing that wasn't completely clear from the article for me was, when the Jericho Lands Station for the UBC skytrain extension is going to be constructed (as in which phase).

They seem to suggest or imply that ideally it would be best served if it's done after most or all of phase 1 is completed - ostensibly to give the ridership numbers the boost it needs from and to that area.
Which would tend to imply that it will be in Phase 2 rather than in Phase1 (...or even the end of Phase 1).
Depending on whether and when a decision is reached to continue with the extension to UBC (...and I don't even know why this is still a question or open for debate with the city), it would mean that the SKytrain extension construction is dependent on the schedule of this project's various phase completions. Or vice versa.

That could get tricky.

It's just too bad that with that 20-30 year timeline for a complete build out, we might not all live to see it get fully built out in all its glory.

(*....and partake in the NIMBY tears, pearl clutching, gnashing of teeth,.....rending of garments,......dressing in sackcloth....you know?...the good stuff.)

Old Posted Dec 8, 2023, 6:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spr0ckets View Post
One thing that wasn't completely clear from the article for me was, when the Jericho Lands Station for the UBC skytrain extension is going to be constructed (as in which phase).

They seem to suggest or imply that ideally it would be best served if it's done after most or all of phase 1 is completed - ostensibly to give the ridership numbers the boost it needs from and to that area.
Which would tend to imply that it will be in Phase 2 rather than in Phase1 (...or even the end of Phase 1).
Depending on whether and when a decision is reached to continue with the extension to UBC (...and I don't even know why this is still a question or open for debate with the city), it would mean that the SKytrain extension construction is dependent on the schedule of this project's various phase completions. Or vice versa.

That could get tricky.

It's just too bad that with that 20-30 year timeline for a complete build out, we might not all live to see it get fully built out in all its glory.

(*....and partake in the NIMBY tears, pearl clutching, gnashing of teeth,.....rending of garments,......dressing in sackcloth....you know?...the good stuff.)
It's all in the article

"Phasing
A big factor in the phasing of construction for the Jericho Lands, as a member of the project team previously told STOREYS, is the aforementioned future Jericho Lands Station. Because the station construction involves tunneling through portions of the Jericho Lands site, the builders want to avoid heavy construction above ground that's in close proximity to the station site.

"There are opportunities to deliver on some housing before the transit station is built," the planning team member added. "We think that there is an early phase where we can get some of the public space, some of the commercial retail space, and some of the housing built early."

With the phasing plan detailed in the draft policy statement, this now appears to be how the project will proceed, with the first phase of construction beginning in the western portion of the site, around the area will the future station will be located. (The Jericho Lands Station will be located in the west portion of the second phase.)"

It has nothing to do with getting residents in place to justify the station, and everything to do with the use of the site to allow the tunnel to Arbutus (and maybe also to UBC) to be built. Phase 1 to the west can apparently proceed safely without being impacted by SkyTrain construction.

"The City notes, however, that if the delivery of the Jericho Lands Station occurs later than the completion of Phase One, or a decision is made to not go through with the UBC Extension, the City will review the policy statement and the phasing plan as currently outlined could be adjusted".

The City aren't suggesting that the UBC link won't be built, but rather planning for what to do if that unfortunately was what happened. As there's no timeline for extending beyond Arbutus (or decisions about a route), but agreement about where a future Jericho station will be located, they're making sure development can start without waiting for funding, and then construction, of the UBC leg of the line.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2023, 6:48 AM

As far as that 20 to 30 year timeline goes, I think they can build this as fast as they want because this area is fantastic with the cities best beaches and great retail streets close by in West Broadway, and West 4th, so people will be lining up to live there. The demand would be so strong that you could build the whole site all at once and be done in 5 years.

Combined with the land use policy that will come with UBC extension, you will have a neighbourhood very much like the West End. Maybe give Pacific Spirit Park some more activities besides just trails.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2023, 7:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
As far as that 20 to 30 year timeline goes, I think they can build this as fast as they want because this area is fantastic with the cities best beaches and great retail streets close by in West Broadway, and West 4th, so people will be lining up to live there. The demand would be so strong that you could build the whole site all at once and be done in 5 years.

Combined with the land use policy that will come with UBC extension, you will have a neighbourhood very much like the West End. Maybe give Pacific Spirit Park some more activities besides just trails.
The density boom from the new provincial TOA legislation will likely slow down the gold rush on Broadway, and projects like this. I wouldn't be surprised if this timeline for Jericho is entirely appropriate. I wouldn't be surprised to see developers pull back from the crazed rush to buy Broadway corridor properties.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2023, 4:44 PM

I was telling my wife we should move to that area when we retire. But I don't want to work another 20-30 years.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2023, 4:52 PM

I'm not sure if a new thread was needed at this point since they're still working on the Policy Statement.

Here's the old one that's covered the process until now.
https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...237746&page=12

Old Posted Dec 8, 2023, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathered Friend View Post
I'm not sure if a new thread was needed at this point since they're still working on the Policy Statement.

Here's the old one that's covered the process until now.
https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...237746&page=12
Sorry I searched for it and didn't spot it. If a mod wants to move all these posts over.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2023, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
Sorry I searched for it and didn't spot it. If a mod wants to move all these posts over.
All good! It's hard to keep track of what threads are in what subsections sometimes, and I've been guilty of mixing them up in the past too.

Kudos to you for posting this, and bringing it to the forum's attention

Old Posted Dec 8, 2023, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spr0ckets View Post
Speaking of which... Battle over Jericho Lands for ecological, medium-rise buildings

Opinion: While the developer highlights how “Indigenous culture informed every aspect of the site concept,” residents say its ultra-high-density plan lacks environmental sensitivity and affordability.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2023, 8:14 PM

Quote:
The Jericho Coalition this fall paid for a random survey by Forum Research that found more than 70 per cent of Vancouver residents disapprove of the tower heights and population density.
A 401 person telephone survey sample doesn't equate to "70 per cent of Vancouver residents" no matter how much you agree or disagree with how accurate surveys measure public opinion.

https://vancouversun.com/opinion/col...-jericho-lands

Old Posted Dec 8, 2023, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Speaking of which... Battle over Jericho Lands for ecological, medium-rise buildings

Opinion: While the developer highlights how “Indigenous culture informed every aspect of the site concept,” residents say its ultra-high-density plan lacks environmental sensitivity and affordability.
Think the other thread already covered this one. It goes without saying that any plan that removes more green space is worse for the environment - these dingleberries are just NIMBYs who like bike lanes.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2023, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
I was telling my wife we should move to that area when we retire. But I don't want to work another 20-30 years.
How can that be, I've been assured by SSPers this will be a hotbed of affordable housing.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2023, 9:24 PM

Which ones? The consensus I remember is that some homes would be below-market, but the vast majority of units would exist to draw upper-middle buyers away from more affordable neighbourhoods; Point Grey's overriding fear is people who make less than six or seven figures.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2023, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
How can that be, I've been assured by SSPers this will be a hotbed of affordable housing.
I think the condos are leasehold, if I recall.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2023, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Like you, I have the money. It's the time I'm not waiting for...

Old Posted Dec 8, 2023, 10:21 PM

Wow this all looks amazing especially given the context and setting. I'm young enough to see it through to completion and hopefully still be sprightly and mentally enough to appreciate this build out.

With phasing we can all see a portion of it completed before the 20-30 year timeline?

Old Posted Dec 8, 2023, 10:38 PM

Quote:
the development will bring down the average value of the properties in point grey 100%. Sellers of single family homes will now have to compete against lots of new units in the area. It's hard to charge 8mil from a 4 bed when there are hundreds of units for sale starting from 500k next door.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2023, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlt View Post
Wow this all looks amazing especially given the context and setting. I'm young enough to see it through to completion and hopefully still be sprightly and mentally enough to appreciate this build out.

With phasing we can all see a portion of it completed before the 20-30 year timeline?
Heather Lands might be the best recent indicator as to timelines as they are the "same" model, more or less.

Rezoning Public Hearing on May, 2022 with the Policy Statement approved in May of 2018 (where Jericho is now). Minus COVID delays with Heather as a template, and you might have an approved Rezoning at Public Hearing by late 2023 if they go gangbusters? Maybe add another 4 years until one tower is finally either built or almost built?

Any other takers on timelines?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver