HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 1:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city guy View Post
who are the architects?
IBI Group.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post
IBI Group.
IBI are the local architects. The design is from the UK based architects WKK, responsible for such projects as the Burj Al Arab hotel.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodler View Post
IBI are the local architects. The design is from the UK based architects WKK, responsible for such projects as the Burj Al Arab hotel.
Thanks. There's no mention of them in any of the online rezoning materials, and I'm not sure the developer even has a website.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post
Thanks. There's no mention of them in any of the online rezoning materials, and I'm not sure the developer even has a website.
I believe that Henson is the same development group that used to be called the Evervan Enterprises Group Ltd.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 7:43 PM

I agree with comments on the Canada forum criticizing the straight walls on the lower section...the curve should be continuous

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodler View Post
I believe that Henson is the same development group that used to be called the Evervan Enterprises Group Ltd.
They don't have a website these days either, but both entities have the same Vice-President; Rick Gregory. It could explain the choice of architect too: "he was the project manager responsible for the design and construction of what has become Dubai’s iconic landmark, the Burj al Arab".

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 7:25 PM

Nice. Really semi-futuristic look, which actually works better than Oakridges and fits in with Butterfly.

I can't believe I missed this is the first time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Yeah, this is the new Nelson on the Park.

It is about 10 meters shorter (though not as short as I thought the new proposal would be)

It amazes me how tight towers in Vancouver can cram in 60 floors. Same floor counts elsewhere in Canada (even in Burnaby) seem to get towers over 200m

I preferred the old proposal more but this one still has promise. (Should continue the wave to the bottom)
I thought Nelson on the Park was slightly shorter than the Butterfly: https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/nels...ixelated-tower

Being the same height as the Butterfly (as the proposal is now) is ok. Kind of a twin-towers feeling.

Might be because of the viewcones, they lower the ceilings slightly to cram in as much as possible.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 11:55 PM

Nelson on the park was never an official application, so it may have come in smaller or larger than this depending on where final discussions with planning got to.

I personally like this one, maybe even more than pixel. While pixel had some great renders and a spectacular crown the execution could have really proved difficult and could have either ended up great or quite plain if the materials got whiddled down. Other than the crown it was really just a square tower. The form of this tower however I think will lend itself to more interest long term.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2019, 7:26 AM

I am really happy with this design. It really stands out from afar and I don't mind the twin tower effect with Butterfly. It also punches through the table top skyline in that area along with Butterfly, which adds appeal to the location.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2019, 5:34 PM

This one looks delicious.

It compliments the butterfly so gracefully! I'm sure that the foreign owners of the western facing units will oppose this but fuck them.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2019, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryer View Post

It compliments the butterfly so gracefully! I'm sure that the foreign owners of the western facing units will oppose this but fuck them.
I don't see why they should complain or oppose given the fact that prices for units facing west were priced accordingly at basically 20-25% less than those of similar units; that should've raised some red flags for them to do due diligence and if they didn't do any due diligence, then it's on them

Old Posted Apr 15, 2019, 12:01 AM

Will this be called the Double Helix building?

Old Posted Apr 15, 2019, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryer View Post

What about the new foreign owners who will pay for this tower? F*** them too?

Old Posted Apr 15, 2019, 12:11 AM

Happy that old "Washington Court" apartment building on the westernmost side remains intact.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2019, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
Since it's not a helix I highly doubt it.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 9:19 PM

1059-1075 Nelson Street - Open House

Quote:
Crafted for Vancouver – The World’s Tallest Passive House Embraces Social Sustainability

1059-1075 Nelson Street
It is rare that Vancouver ever gets to claim the tallest of any type of structure due to the significant height restrictions over the Downtown Peninsula. Despite being the heart of Canada’s third largest urban area, our tallest building, Living Shangri-La, does not even crack the top thirty in the country. With sizable towers in Toronto, Montreal, Calgary, Edmonton and two planned in Burnaby, things have certainly changed since 1912 when our ~82 meter Sun Tower was the tallest in the country.

However, instead of merely striving for height, our city set its targets on creating a livable, environmentally sustainable urban environment for all income levels. Which is why, despite the recent approval of the world’s tallest passive house, another taller one is already being proposed here. Though it will not be among the top 60 tallest buildings in Canada, its design will easily be one of the best.
https://cityduo.wordpress.com/2019/0...ustainability/

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 9:28 PM

What makes this a passive house

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathered Friend View Post
Oh goody. Now we have "social sustainability"? One more meaningless phrase to baffle with. Almost as good as another I recently heard: "gentle density".

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
If anything it looks like a pair of chromosomes.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 12:54 AM

Thanks for the update!

This tower is growing in me.

Still wish they would continue the wave to the base.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver