HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 12:38 AM

I like the design... maybe not the functionality but the design of the tower itself is nice.

BUT it irks me that it isn't going for the maximum zoned height limit. With space being such a hot-button issue, they can make it at least the maximum allowable height.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 2:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryer View Post
I like the design... maybe not the functionality but the design of the tower itself is nice.

BUT it irks me that it isn't going for the maximum zoned height limit. With space being such a hot-button issue, they can make it at least the maximum allowable height.
There's no such thing as a 'maximum zoned height limit' in Vancouver. There are height limits set by policy - either in plans, or through viewcone limits. Those maximum heights are always subject to other policy. In the West End Plan for example it says "Building heights are subject to other Council-approved policies, guidelines, by-laws and urban design considerations". Developers all know this, although some times they'll try to see if they can get round some of those policies and guidelines.

This building proposal is also building the maximum density allowed in the zoning here - which is 5 FSR plus a 10% bonus if heritage space is taken from the Heritage Bank. The DP Application (while the link is live) shows they're proposing 5.5 FSR. In theory they might consider a rezoning, but given the site limitations (proximity to the Capitol next door, the potential shadowing of Granville) and the extra cost and time that would take, this is as big as they can build in a straightforward project.

If you want to see what the zoning allows here, L'Aria across Seymour to the south, was completed in 2004 with 3 FSR of residential and 2 FSR (required here) of commercial. That was a bigger site; presumably the strong demand for office space led the developer to making this an all commercial project. There's greater efficiency in keeping just one use for the upper floors, especially on a small site.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 4:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
lmao. Safety issue? Limiting the shade an intersection gets has nothing to do with safety. That makes no sense
Manhattan must be the most unsafe place in the world where you can find lots of twisted wreckage in many street intersections with tall buildings around. Oh the humanity....

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 4:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post
There's no such thing as a 'maximum zoned height limit' in Vancouver. There are height limits set by policy - either in plans, or through viewcone limits. Those maximum heights are always subject to other policy. In the West End Plan for example it says "Building heights are subject to other Council-approved policies, guidelines, by-laws and urban design considerations". Developers all know this, although some times they'll try to see if they can get round some of those policies and guidelines.

This building proposal is also building the maximum density allowed in the zoning here - which is 5 FSR plus a 10% bonus if heritage space is taken from the Heritage Bank. The DP Application (while the link is live) shows they're proposing 5.5 FSR. In theory they might consider a rezoning, but given the site limitations (proximity to the Capitol next door, the potential shadowing of Granville) and the extra cost and time that would take, this is as big as they can build in a straightforward project.

If you want to see what the zoning allows here, L'Aria across Seymour to the south, was completed in 2004 with 3 FSR of residential and 2 FSR (required here) of commercial. That was a bigger site; presumably the strong demand for office space led the developer to making this an all commercial project. There's greater efficiency in keeping just one use for the upper floors, especially on a small site.
Thousands of man-hours and billions of dollars could've been saved if all the nonsense was never in existence.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
It's interesting that this project has less retail than is there today. Bonnis almost certainly own more retail buildings Downtown (especially on Granville Street) and on West Broadway than any other owner/developer, so they understand retail demand better than most. The previous project before this was the conversion of the almost all retail Tom Lee Music to office, with retail reduced to the main floor. They've also completed the repair and canopy replacement on the Commodore Ballroom, and there are quite a few new tenants in there. They seem to be diversifying their portfolio by adding more office, as well as rental residential. I wonder if that tells us anything about their view of retail in the next few years? There are signs that on-line retail is starting to hit the bottom line of traditional bricks and mortar retailers, so maybe we won't see a significant increase in retail (except where there was none before, like the new Vancouver House retail area).
Which is why I find it disappointing there isn't more retail when you have retailers like Uniqlo looking for space. I actually think that the Robson & Seymour location (due to proximity to Nordstrom) is more desirable now than Robson west of Burrard (certainly moreso than west of Thurlow).

Westbank also changed the retail levels at Telus Garden to office space, but that was several years ago and a block farther east.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Which is why I find it disappointing there isn't more retail when you have retailers like Uniqlo looking for space. I actually think that the Robson & Seymour location (due to proximity to Nordstrom) is more desirable now than Robson west of Burrard (certainly moreso than west of Thurlow).

Westbank also changed the retail levels at Telus Garden to office space, but that was several years ago and a block farther east.
Is it because it is close to the mall and departments stores, hence more desirable?

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 10:39 PM

I think Retail Insider said that the retail focus downtown has shifted eastwards after Nordstrom opened (more of an anchor than Sears was) and after Pacific Centre has become higher end.
That's in part why Robson west of Thurlow isn't doing so well - it's too far away.

Noted here:
https://www.retail-insider.com/retai...ail-resurgence

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 11:19 PM

Yeah, you can feel a shift towards the east now.

Robson West isn't that interesting, for me when strolling will usually hit up CB2 and then go back east.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 11:56 PM

The weird thing is that from Seymour eastwards, Robson is dominated by restaurants and services.
The only hard goods retailers are H-Mart, IGA, Vitasave (new), Body Energy Club and Homesense, and a lot of those are also food stores.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2019, 4:49 AM

Feb.8 '19, my pics

Old Posted Feb 9, 2019, 5:00 PM

^I bet the city will raise all sorts of heck if that tree on the corner gets impinged by the new building.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2019, 8:41 PM

I think it looks fine for the area, but of course it could have been a bit taller. I think the design is actually pretty nice.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2019, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
^I bet the city will raise all sorts of heck if that tree on the corner gets impinged by the new building.
I think those trees will be cut down soon. I have noticed the trees along Robson and other parts of the city have been gradually cut down. I think the issue with a lot of the trees being cut down is that they are getting a little big and their roots are damaging the sidewalks. I can also see some of them being in really bad overall health as well. Moss growing and or other things growing which make the trees more of a hazard then beneficial to the residents of the city. I think the most likely case is that the trees there are going to be removed and a few new trees planted to replace the existing ones. The sidewalk on that side of Robson is not in great condition anyway so the construction will be a great opportunity to take out the roots and rebuild the curb and put in nice new sidewalks. The city has also in recent years worked to find new tree species that are more appropriate for placement in locations like that as well that have smaller root balls and grow up and less so out.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 12:44 AM

The one storey retail with deck above is supposed to provide room for the trees.
However, buildings with taller podiums were built to the east and the trees were trimmed and fine after construction.
Oddly, one tree was protected during construction of R&R at Robson & Richards,
then cut down a few years later for the hydro vault work in the sidewalk.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 2:07 AM

Quote:
It's interesting that this project has less retail than is there today. Bonnis almost certainly own more retail buildings Downtown (especially on Granville Street) and on West Broadway than any other owner/developer, so they understand retail demand better than most. The previous project before this was the conversion of the almost all retail Tom Lee Music to office, with retail reduced to the main floor. They've also completed the repair and canopy replacement on the Commodore Ballroom, and there are quite a few new tenants in there. They seem to be diversifying their portfolio by adding more office, as well as rental residential. I wonder if that tells us anything about their view of retail in the next few years? There are signs that on-line retail is starting to hit the bottom line of traditional bricks and mortar retailers, so maybe we won't see a significant increase in retail (except where there was none before, like the new Vancouver House retail area).
While I agree the CoV required too much retail as part of earlier projects, this is one area that deserves lots of streetfront retail. It is always busy.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 3:13 AM

Another note:
I don't see "For Lease" signs on the eastern stretch of Robson - unlike the western stretch where they charge much more for rent.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcminsen View Post
Feb.8 '19, my pics
The cannabis shops sure don't do much for enlivening the sidewalks - all those windows blocked off. Either make it legal for them to be visible, or don't allow them on shopping streets.

(sorry, way off topic here, but the image really highlights this)

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truenorth44 View Post
The cannabis shops sure don't do much for enlivening the sidewalks - all those windows blocked off. Either make it legal for them to be visible, or don't allow them on shopping streets.

(sorry, way off topic here, but the image really highlights this)

I think that cannabis shop is moving across the street to where the 7-11 was.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...98#post8462698

One thing I'll certainly miss is the card shop on the corner.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 10:02 PM

I notice the weed places all have frosted glass now, part of the new regulations I'm sure.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 7:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
I notice the weed places all have frosted glass now, part of the new regulations I'm sure.
Yeah, it looked much nicer before the new regs.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver