HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
Seems like a positive development to have Grosvenor behind this.
You mean the same company behind the strange layouts and overpriced units at Grosvenor Pacific.

Imagine what could have been done towards real affordability if the BC Lieberals had used this piece of crown agency land to build truly affordable rentals.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
Seems like a positive development to have Grosvenor behind this.
Hugely positive. Grosvenor remains one of the most well-reputed real estate groups in the world. I'd take them 99.999% of the time over another new and faceless group with questionable off-shore backing and roots.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 6:27 PM

A nice town centre mall in the making, rapid transit station to the airport and downtown, and large areas of high-density zoning: these are the major anchor items that can attract a world-class developer to build in the vicinity.

Prior to this, Grosvenor also chose Brentwood Town Centre to build big: very similar to Oakridge. I'm glad Vancouver is finally learning from Burnaby when it comes to the creation of successful Town Centres.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 7:20 PM
Blazed Member - Citygater

Go Grosvenor Go!

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
You mean the same company behind the strange layouts and overpriced units at Grosvenor Pacific.

Imagine what could have been done towards real affordability if the BC Lieberals had used this piece of crown agency land to build truly affordable rentals.
At least they build developments to a high quality with excellent attention to detail. Grosvenor buildings will be among the only buildings in this entire city that can be renovated rather than knocked down in 50+ years.

I'll take that any day over cheap spandrel buildings with corners cut just about everywhere to make it "affordable".

Old Posted Jun 24, 2022, 12:04 AM

i wish they would stop putting roads through these giant chunks of land. they should be doing all vehicle servicing underground, leaving the surface free of cars.

ugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcitywhenfinished View Post
I'll take that any day over cheap spandrel buildings with corners cut just about everywhere to make it "affordable". more profit
fixed that for you.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2022, 2:50 AM

Quote:
Grosvenor plans to file a development application with the city in the near future, with the intent of breaking ground on the first phase in partnership with Transca in early 2025.
Still a ways off.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2022, 4:01 AM

I think either way with or without Grosvenor, Modern Green would've fared decently compared to other new/offshore Chinese developers since they poached Raymond Li from Aspac a couple years back to head their Canadian arm.

Given his past experience from helping run a foreign subsidiary from the ground up (Aspac) of an established foreign developer (SHKP) and doing pretty successfully, I don't doubt his ability but I guess times are different nowadays and this time it's mainland capital.

However, both are similar in that Aspac is privately held by the Kwok brothers and not related to SHKP in HK, similar to how Modern Green is privately held by the chairman and not tied to Modern Land

Old Posted Aug 22, 2022, 9:19 PM

Exciting project!

Old Posted Jul 26, 2023, 9:45 PM

Sales centre DP application is in, it sounds like Grosvenor will be sticking with the current rezoning master plan.

Quote:
The proposed masterplan is predominantly residential, encompassing approximately 1,600 new homes across 17 buildings, and will include market housing (both condo and rental), affordable rental housing, social housing, retail, childcare space, a public park and multiple public plazas. It is anticipated the redevelopment will be staged over at least 4 phases of construction.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2023, 6:07 AM

Quote:
Development Permit Application DP-2023-00447988
W 38th Av - Presentation Centre

Work Description:To develop a single storey temporary presentation centre building (condo pre-sales centre) for Oakridge Transit Centre development, to be located at the northwest corner of site (Parcel A).

This Permit is issued for a limited period of time expiring three years after the date of issuance of this Permit as acknowledged in the letter signed by XXX, of Grosvenor Properties
https://plposweb.vancouver.ca/Public...ctId=202645019

It's been a while since this was acquired by Grosvenor, but it's nice to see that this is showing some signs of life.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2023, 7:29 PM

Phase 1 - Parcel C Development Application Submitted

https://web.archive.org/web/20211022...rspectives.pdf

https://council.vancouver.ca/20231004/documents/a2.pdf

https://web.archive.org/web/20211022...094.1585001546

https://plposweb.vancouver.ca/Public...ctId=212690589

https://www.grosvenor.com/property/p...transit-centre

Quote:
It’s official, the Oakridge Transit Centre’s transformation has begun with over 550,000 sq. ft. of strata, moderate income, & market rental homes in Parcel C. This comes only days after Vancouver city council asked Translink to deprioritise improving transit on W 41st Ave
https://x.com/City_Duo/status/1712912542753083888?s=20

Old Posted Dec 7, 2023, 1:28 AM

LOL, "Mayfair West", a pretentious bit of anglophilia no doubt expected to be lapped up by the target buyer .

First phase of Oakridge Transit Centre redevelopment moves forward
Kenneth Chan
Dec 6 2023

The vacant surface parking lot previously used as TransLink’s trolley bus depot in Vancouver’s Oakridge area is one big step closer to being a major construction site.

A development permit application has been submitted by Grosvenor to redevelop the first phase of Mayfair West, which is the new name of the redevelopment project for Oakridge Transit Centre. The name is inspired by Grosvenor’s Mayfair neighbourhood in London, UK.

“We are excited to be one step closer to bringing this significant development forward,” said Marc Josephson, Senior Vice President for Development with Grosvenor, in a statement. “This area of the city is rapidly transforming, and this is one of those rare, blank-canvas sites where we can create a special community from scratch.”...

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/mayf...ment-grosvenor

Old Posted Dec 7, 2023, 3:52 AM

Quote:
LOL, "Mayfair West", a pretentious bit of anglophilia no doubt expected to be lapped up by the target buyer .
Good news it's finally rolling along. I for one welcome our British overlords.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2023, 7:48 PM
victory in near

Quote:
I would of thought the name would reflect a nod to the community center and high school across the street.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2023, 7:49 PM

The first phase was at the UDP yesterday.

After two hours of mind numbing discussion, they voted to support it. Though as has become the norm, there were a fair amount of recommendations.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2023, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
Good news it's finally rolling along. I for one welcome our British overlords.
At least the Grosvenor's have a legitimate connection to Mayfair as they own most of it. However I'm sure that won't stop them asking for a rebate on their Empty Homes Tax again.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2023, 8:06 PM

Also to note is that Modern Green Canada previously hired Raymond Li from ASPAC, who was there from the start when the Kwok brothers started ASPAC here. At least it gives more credibility for a foreign developer with someone who has experience with new, masterplanned communities

*didn't realize I already posted this before*

but also, ceiling heights seem to be higher than usual with 10'2" slab to slab, so 9'6" clear. It's safe to assume they will be doing somewhat premium units, especially with the name of the development

I also think it's a bit of a stretch to market this as "Mayfair", especially with a triple digit address, east of Oak Street. Anything with a three digit or lower address was never considered premium location for established West Side residents or those in upper society (not to be pretentious or anything) even though Oakridge tries to market itself as such. It's basically trying to rebrand Shoreditch in London as "Mayfair East"

Last edited by bb1510; Dec 7, 2023 at 8:18 PM.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2023, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Anglophilia?

Let's look at the facts:
1. Oakridge is named after a village in Gloucestershire, England.
2. Vancouver - Named after an Englishman with a Dutch ancestry.
3. The Province - Name has a "British" in it, and the flag includes a Union Jack.
4. Most spoken Official Language here - English.
5. The King of this country is still English.

Wow, l guess you're the only Anglophobe, who think that the whole country is nothing but "pretentious".

Mayfair West is a nice name.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2023, 9:15 PM

Quote:
At least the Grosvenor's have a legitimate connection to Mayfair as they own most of it. However I'm sure that won't stop them asking for a rebate on their Empty Homes Tax again.
Which I think still isn't an issue, according to the Province or City:

"Staff recommended that new developments be exempt from the tax until they are sold to buyers so that developers aren't forced to pay additional fees if the housing market is slower than anticipated when their projects are available to the public.

Staff noted it was the same rule the province had for its own vacant homes tax, and Mayor Ken Sim framed it as making it easier for Vancouver to meet its supply goals by doing more to support development. "

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver