HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

270 Park Avenue in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 6:28 PM

I was in NYC last Friday afternoon through Sunday night and feel lucky to have left town just a day before the smoke started to arrive. I took this photo on June 3 around 5 PM:

Old Posted Jun 10, 2023, 2:25 PM
Xzeyvion Aryee

Old Posted Jun 10, 2023, 5:49 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkCity76 View Post
Thanks for the shoutout of my black and white photo (the second picture) @NYguy

We need more photos of this amazing skyscraper taking shape. It may not seem like it, but its still very rare for a skyscraper of this size to go up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Man View Post
Friday, June 9th, 2023

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2oGhUw9]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52964499748_58758d7813_b.jpg
270 Park Ave Construction Update
by Xzeyvion Aryee, on Flickr

Thanks. Fantastic views of that setback.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2023, 5:58 PM
New Yorker for life

JUNE 9, 2023

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2023, 6:46 PM

Amazing! Just keeps getting better. Can't wait to see the lobby levels come together.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2023, 3:29 PM

So long crane number 3!

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 12:20 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 12:49 AM
New Yorker for life

Last edited by NYguy; Jun 12, 2023 at 1:18 AM.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 10:46 AM
New Yorker for life

https://www.kuow.org/stories/how-two...andemic-future

How two big Wall Street banks are rethinking the office for a post-pandemic future

David Gura
June 11, 2023

Quote:
JPMorgan, the biggest of the big banks, was in the midst of planning to build a new headquarters in Manhattan before COVID-19 hit.

Meanwhile, BNP Paribas, which is headquartered in France, was in the process of renegotiating the lease for its own regional headquarters in Manhattan, when New York City shut down.

Ultimately, BNP Paribas decided to scale back its real estate footprint in the 54-story building it shares with other companies. In July 2020, it signed a new, 20-year agreement for less space — six floors in total, and worked with the architectural firm Gensler on an extensive redesign.

Both financial firms have incorporated lessons they learned during the pandemic into their designs, as they have rethought what offices can mean for their employees.
Quote:
During the pandemic, people started to pay more attention to air circulation in confined spaces, and it became a more important factor in commercial architecture.

Lord Norman Foster, who designed JPMorgan's new headquarters on Park Avenue, calls it "a breathing building."

When it is finished in 2025, there will be two times more fresh air circulating through the 60-story building than New York City's building code requires.

"There is a greater awareness, sensitivity, and acceptance of the importance of fresh air," says Foster, who worked with a professor at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health on his design.

The tower, which will accommodate more than 14,000 workers, will also have a state-of-the-art air filtration system, and the bank says it will be able to monitor air quality continuously.

Not only that, in the expansive, jam-packed rooms where bankers buy and sell stocks and bonds and other assets, each desk will have its own climate controls, and air will be pressurized beneath the floor. That's for both health reasons as well as for energy efficiency.
Quote:
The beating heart of any big bank is its trading operation. JPMorgan buys and sells billions of dollars in stocks and bonds and other assets every day.

In its new headquarters, the trading floors will be enormous — large enough to accommodate 550 employees, and JPMorgan and its design team reimagined these spaces.

According to David Arena, the bank's global head of real estate, adaptability is critical.

"If you are trying to predict the future, it's a fool's errand," he says. "So, how can you future-proof a space? You make it flexible."

Flexibility became even more important during the pandemic, and these floors are designed to be changed easily. Even the walls are moveable, Arena explains.

"When the nature of trading changes, and it might, or when the nature of the office above us changes, and it might, it's simply rearrange the furniture," he says. "And that includes offices, walls, and the desks and chairs themselves."

It will be possible to redesign an entire floor completely in one weekend, Arena adds.
Quote:
Like many companies, JPMorgan wants to make the office a draw again, and its new headquarters has plenty of perks.

There will be rooms for yoga and cycling, on-site medical care, and a large conference center.

BNP Paribas doesn't have a gym onsite, but the company added bike storage and opened a new outdoor terrace for staff.

"The reality is, if you are happier at the workplace, if you have a variety of activities that you can extend into the leisure element of the day, then you're going to be more productive," says Foster, the architect of JPMorgan's new headquarters.

And then, there's the food.

JPMorgan is working with restauranteur Danny Meyer, who started Shake Shack, on its cafeteria, which it describes as a "large and modern food hall." Arena is excited by expansive pantries throughout the building.

"It's no secret, people love to eat," he says. "I'm Italian. We do everything around the dinner table. And so, we have, basically, the equivalent of that here."

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 11:22 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ yeah errybody loves danny meyers, but i am not a fan of the fancy office building cafeterias. i saw how google doing that knocked out a bunch of eighth avenue mom & pops near it when they came to town and started that trend (although yeah the google cafeteria was great — i tried it out occassionally when my spouse worked there).

seems to be the way it is for big new office building amenities though.

it’s rough out there on the ‘ol mom & pops.

and to be fair, there isnt much to go out to grab a quick lunch at immediately around this building.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2023, 12:38 AM
New Yorker for life

Shown at 1,389 ft in DOB filings. I still say it should be at 1,390 ft from the graphics, but it's 1,389 ft for now...

Meanwhile, back to new steel being added for the office floors...

Last edited by NYguy; Jun 14, 2023 at 12:55 AM.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2023, 1:34 AM

I wonder why the DOB permits say 1,389 when the height per builder's docs is clearly 1,390. Oh, well.

This tower is fantastic, but I wish it would have cleared 1,400, as originally rumored. I know it would have been a practically imperceptible difference from the street, but still would have been nice. 1,400 ft. is pretty rare territory for a big-ass office block, no spires or funny stuff.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2023, 2:06 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I wonder why the DOB permits say 1,389 when the height per builder's docs is clearly 1,390. Oh, well.

This tower is fantastic, but I wish it would have cleared 1,400, as originally rumored. I know it would have been a practically imperceptible difference from the street, but still would have been nice. 1,400 ft. is pretty rare territory for a big-ass office block, no spires or funny stuff.
1389 ft is what the filing rep put down. The full number is likely closer to 1390. But that’s for the DOB nerds to fight over. They don’t realize that skyscraper fans need accurate numbers. I believe the asymetrical version of the tower had more mechanical space and floors, which was streamlined. Initially I wasn’t sure, but eventually decided I liked the current version better.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2023, 2:24 AM
DENNAB

1,389' is even with Trump Tower Chicago's spire now. The tower still has 60 floors though, the article was probably just referring to occupied height.

Here's the cutaway showing 60 w / mechanical. Title change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I’ve been out of town, and haven’t been able to check in on it. But the first setback should be level 17. Level 11 should be mechanical.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2023, 1:12 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Here's the cutaway showing 60 w / mechanical. Title change?
Thosr upper mechanical floors are really just levels, not solid floors that cut all the way across. You can see that on the model also.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2023, 8:17 PM

It's beginning to stand out! Can't wait to see this structure finished.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2023, 8:27 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Thosr upper mechanical floors are really just levels, not solid floors that cut all the way across. You can see that on the model also.
That perhaps looks true of 60 but 58 & 59 do look like full floors. Which model are you referring to?

Generally a real floor or two above all the rest is reserved for mechanical space in most skyscrapers.

I'm looking at this one.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2023, 1:16 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
That perhaps looks true of 60 but 58 & 59 do look like full floors. Which model are you referring to?

Generally a real floor or two above all the rest is reserved for mechanical space in most skyscrapers.

There are large openings in those floors, according to building documents. There will be elevator access to those levels, so they could call it whatever they want. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the number of floors on this tower were adjust to reflect the higher height, like the rest of the new towers we've seen go up. So it doesn't matter.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CtZR1bdxmVY/

Old Posted Jun 16, 2023, 1:46 PM
New Yorker for life

Last edited by NYguy; Jun 16, 2023 at 2:31 PM.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2023, 2:46 PM
Sydney

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
The 245 Park Avenue website has a couple more renderings that show off 270 in the background!

https://www.245park.com/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction