HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
That doesn't surprise or particularly bother me. While I would love to see lots more transit on the Beltline (accompanied with TOD), lets not undersell what they've managed to do already - land acquisition, paved trails with lighting, bridges, new parks, thousands of units of affordable housing, adjacent streetscapes, art on the beltline, beltline arboretum, community events, etc. Especially since the TAD funding has been much smaller than projected due to the 2008/2009 housing crash, the pandemic, and huge tax deferrals granted by Fulton County Development Authority and Invest Atlanta, that the Beltline has zero control over.

I want to fill this way, I do...but with it having been originally proposed for the purpose of transit, and the possibility of the whole loop to really change how people get around the city, it's just not going to sit right with me that transit seems to have been so depriorotized and that doesn't really seem to be changing for plans post 2030

Old Posted Jun 15, 2023, 5:30 PM

MARTA breaks ground on Summerhill BRT

https://www.ajc.com/neighborhoods/at...NFSNWBMXJQRX4/
Quote:
The Summerhill bus rapid transit line represents the first fruits of the agency’s planned Atlanta expansion. And it’s the region’s first bus rapid transit line. Here’s what you need to know.

The Summerhill line will stretch 2.4 miles along Hank Aaron Drive and Capitol Avenue before looping around downtown. It will serve key destinations such as Georgia State University, the Georgia Capitol and Atlanta City Hall.

The buses will run every 10 to 15 minutes. It will take 12 to 15 minutes to travel from one end of the route to the other. In February, MARTA awarded a $65.9 million contract to Archer Western Construction to build the line. It’s expected to open in summer 2025.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2023, 5:59 PM

OK but did they *actually* break ground? I want to see some construction equipment.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2023, 7:06 PM

Are they really breaking ground if no dirt is touched? It’s just going to be painted on.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2023, 2:39 PM

^They have to tear up road/sidewalk for the stations, and I believe a substantial amount of construction around electrical infrastructure and repaving. But yeah, not exactly the same as rail construction.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2023, 7:24 PM

Took this pic yesterday at the Capitol at MLK looking east. Is this part of it? I thought it was but the signs (back facing) say something like Parking for Gov office only.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2023, 12:43 AM

No, that photo of MLK is a protected cycle track part of the downtown resurfacing projects. The protected cycle track is on the southern section of MLK.

The BRT lane will be along the northern end, except where there’s parking.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2023, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
No, that photo of MLK is a protected cycle track part of the downtown resurfacing projects. The protected cycle track is on the southern section of MLK.

The BRT lane will be along the northern end, except where there’s parking.
If that passes as a 'protected' cycle track, then the term needs to change. Cars and trucks would ignore that all day long.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2023, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
^They have to tear up road/sidewalk for the stations, and I believe a substantial amount of construction around electrical infrastructure and repaving. But yeah, not exactly the same as rail construction.
Honestly if it does not have dedicated ROW I have a hard time viewing it it as transit "expansion". Hopefully Marta's implementation of BRT will be efficient.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2023, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinman View Post
Honestly if it does not have dedicated ROW I have a hard time viewing it it as transit "expansion". Hopefully Marta's implementation of BRT will be efficient.
It does for 85% of the route.

"Atlanta - it's getting there."

Old Posted Jun 17, 2023, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaguy View Post
If that passes as a 'protected' cycle track, then the term needs to change. Cars and trucks would ignore that all day long.
*stares back at the photo with no cars or trucks in the protected cycle track*

Yeah some people will be dicks & dumbasses deciding to still park there, but I don’t think it’ll be nearly as bad as you’re speculating. The curb on the vehicular side is like 8 or 10” the driver would need to go directly into.

There will also be bollards in the middle of the cycle track to help prevent cars from entering.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2023, 3:48 PM

I watched a bunch of the videos on BRT on MARTA's site and if done well I can see it being a really great solution. Really curious to see what the station designs look like, I couldn't find too many renderings. We have the pre-pay setup here in NYC on some of the express but routes and it really does speed up boarding but I feel like the opportunity to cheat the system could be financially disruptive.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2023, 12:48 AM

Old Posted Jun 20, 2023, 9:31 PM

ATL needs a dictator to:

⁃ Annex all land inside of 285 and 2-5 miles in each direction
⁃ Completely annex Clayton county
⁃ Immediately improve zoning for residential density with incentives within 285
⁃ Connect all neighborhood zones with overland rail or subway within midtown/west midtown
⁃ Give non-metro counties with initiatives to consolidate within 10 years to reduce rural redundancies and improve incentives to expand transit options

GA has TOO many counties to get any of this done. You can't be a small government conservative and advocate for MORE smaller governments. There is a negative ROI on all of these increasingly balkanized communities.

Imagine being in ATL, the actual anchor of the region, and having to negotiate with Dekalb, Clayton, North Fulton, Cobb, Gwinnett, Douglas, Henry and Fayette to get ANYTHING done. ITS ABSURD!

Old Posted Jun 20, 2023, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expandtransit View Post
ATL needs a dictator to...
I understand your sentiment, but be careful what you wish for. An old adage says "Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely." That's why dictators sweep into power to wild applause only to die later at the hands of their subjects. You might love him at first for granting your wants, but you'll eventually hate him when he gets around to granting his own desires. From homeowner associations to federal bureaucracies, "efficient government" is a terrifying idea...

Old Posted Jun 21, 2023, 2:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montydawg View Post
I’m 44 and he called me a Nazi on Passover. So inappropriate.
Not nice! That’s not acceptable! I don’t like people who called you a Nazi. I know you are not a Nazi. You are real human beings.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2023, 2:16 AM

"There is no executive order; there is no law that can require the American people to form a national community. This we must do as individuals and if we do it as individuals, there is no President of the United States who can veto that decision." - Barbara Jordan

Old Posted Jun 21, 2023, 2:52 AM

I want to believe the above images, but what will they do to keep the homeless from taking over that space?

Old Posted Jun 21, 2023, 1:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expandtransit View Post
ATL needs a dictator to:

⁃ Annex all land inside of 285 and 2-5 miles in each direction
⁃ Completely annex Clayton county
⁃ Immediately improve zoning for residential density with incentives within 285
⁃ Connect all neighborhood zones with overland rail or subway within midtown/west midtown
⁃ Give non-metro counties with initiatives to consolidate within 10 years to reduce rural redundancies and improve incentives to expand transit options

GA has TOO many counties to get any of this done. You can't be a small government conservative and advocate for MORE smaller governments. There is a negative ROI on all of these increasingly balkanized communities.

Imagine being in ATL, the actual anchor of the region, and having to negotiate with Dekalb, Clayton, North Fulton, Cobb, Gwinnett, Douglas, Henry and Fayette to get ANYTHING done. ITS ABSURD!
Just wait until you learn about the local governance structure in New England.

But if you live in the actual city of Atlanta, why do I care what's happening in the burbs? I likely don't go out there much, if ever. We have our own sales tax in the city for MARTA. Why do I need to negotiate with other counties for anything? Hell, it's not even a county sales tax, it's a COA sales tax specific for MARTA. If there's traffic elsewhere in the metro, let it be. It doesn't really affect me and my life/lifestyle living intown. (transportation of goods notwithstanding)

Old Posted Jun 21, 2023, 1:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlwarrior View Post
I want to believe the above images, but what will they do to keep the homeless from taking over that space?
The other issue Marta has, is with the homeless purchasing monthly passes and using the train and soon to be BRT as their mobile hotel. The early trains that start at 5am have anywhere from 5-10 persons per train car sleeping. The smell isn't good and only thing Marta police does at the end of the line (North Springs) is too wake up each individual and they are back to sleep in two minutes.
I served on Fulton County jury duty for 2 weeks and this happened every morning.
Similar issues at the airport when you have flights that arrive after 10-11pm. Homeless guys are going down each aisle on the train asking for money. Will make females feel every uncomfortable.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta