HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Dec 14, 2020, 9:21 PM
Voice of the Modern World

Careful guys, you’re being arrogant. The ATL and the ATX should ask Pittsburgh and Cleveland if they want these buildings first before we build them. It wouldn’t be considerate of us to build these at the expense of places like Pittsburgh and Cleveland.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2020, 9:47 PM

I mean, that's pretty much it isn't it? The shorter version, for sure . . . but the Republic it is.

Not my industry so I'm not sure what the protocol would be, but . . . Duda Paine can't have a building like that out before two clients, can they? Does this suggest that our Republic is a dead letter, and the ATL Republic is getting DP's focus? (With the understanding of course that ATL's is still a proposal and well away from a formal green light.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by myBrain View Post
Man I hope Atlanta doesn't get the Republic before we do...

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...kyscraper.html

(Yes it's also by Duda Paine)

Old Posted Dec 14, 2020, 10:12 PM
Rundberg & I35

It does seem to diminish the value of the property if it's just another "Skyhouse" of office towers. Although from the description of the Atlanta tower it seems to be 50-100 feet taller than the Austin version.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2020, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
I mean, that's pretty much it isn't it? The shorter version, for sure . . . but the Republic it is.

Not my industry so I'm not sure what the protocol would be, but . . . Duda Paine can't have a building like that out before two clients, can they? Does this suggest that our Republic is a dead letter, and the ATL Republic is getting DP's focus? (With the understanding of course that ATL's is still a proposal and well away from a formal green light.)
As someone in the architecture and design industry, I think this is just...lazy design.

To be fair, I think both this tower and The Republic are fairly unoriginal and uninspired, so there's bound to be similarities when you don't have much thought toward design anyway.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2020, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
As someone in the architecture and design industry, I think this is just...lazy design.

To be fair, I think both this tower and The Republic are fairly unoriginal and uninspired, so there's bound to be similarities when you don't have much thought toward design anyway.
I appreciate your experience and candor. I helps me to appreciate our 6X and supertall designs a bit more, considering their uniqueness and originality. Perhaps even 405 Colorado. I still hope The Republic gets built as it would still be unique among our other towers.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2020, 11:35 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

With Republic Square Station in the works, I honestly feel that this block is on hold with a collaboration likely between Cap Metro and Lincoln where the tower and station tie into eachother. I think there is some merit to my hypothesis when you look at the Waller supertall proposal seemingly coming out of nowhere, although has obviously been in development behind the scenes for awhile considering the amount of detailed information that has been released/leaked...

It's a possibility that they have put Republic Square on the back burner with Waller being the main focus. Maybe I'm over thinking the situation but who knows.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2020, 12:21 AM

I was under the impression that since Lincoln Properties is developing this and 6X, that the focus would be on 6X. Unless there are other factors slowing the start of construction, I think we may have to see significant progress, like a 6X t/o before this one breaks ground.
Of course if someone comes along and is ready to sign a lease on it, that could be the great expediter. The question would then be, does LP have enough resources to tackle two giant projects at the same time?

Old Posted Dec 15, 2020, 12:37 AM

Austin has a lower vacancy rate both city, metro, and in downtown than Atlanta. And The Republic is slightly shorter, meaning less office space than the Atlanta one. So it makes it more likely to get built, especially with Austin being a true powerhouse tech town. Just notice Facebook looking for 1 million square feet of office space in DT Austin during the pandemic.

Atlanta doesn’t get those companies looking for that much space. I don’t think ATL even has a Facebook office here. Maybe data centers but def not an office.

The Atlanta building is 800,000 square feet of office space and has to prelease 400,000 of it for the project to begin. That in this economy will take many years to do.

Hopefully it happens for both cities, because Atlanta desperately needs a new tall building. It’s been decades since the last tall of this caliber.

Last edited by N90; Dec 15, 2020 at 1:22 AM.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2020, 3:32 AM

[Deleted]

Old Posted Dec 15, 2020, 4:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
[Deleted]
Come on....

https://youtu.be/qLNXHuLV1H8

Old Posted Dec 15, 2020, 5:40 AM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
Originally Posted by East7thStreet View Post
It does seem to diminish the value of the property if it's just another "Skyhouse" of office towers. Although from the description of the Atlanta tower it seems to be 50-100 feet taller than the Austin version.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post

Sigaven, I know this is not a popular opinion on here but it has been mine as well, literally since the shorter version of this design was released at the beginning. It was always unoriginal and uninspired. If it does turn out to be the "Skyhouse" of office towers, it would be right in line with how unique this design has always been.

This design actually makes more sense in Atlanta to me, because the angled glass crown echoes the recently-opened NCR building and the upcoming Cousins project at 901 West Peachtree. The site to the south of Republic Square is FAR too prime a site for such a mediocre design and you all should not want it, well, anywhere, but especially not there.

Honestly, in light of the passage of Project Connect, this should be among the first towers to significantly decrease its amount of parking and perhaps even coordinate with the city to incorporate part of the subway station entrance into this building. Anything else would be a waste of a site that will soon have possibly THE best transit connections in the entire city.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2020, 6:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2ATX View Post
Sigaven, I know this is not a popular opinion on here but it has been mine as well, literally since the shorter version of this design was released at the beginning. It was always unoriginal and uninspired. If it does turn out to be the "Skyhouse" of office towers, it would be right in line with how unique this design has always been.
For me it's like the 21st century equivalent of the 80's brown tiered towers (think One Eleven Congress, Weston Center in SA, 1700 Pacific in Dallas) or the 60's International Style towers....They're not necessarily bad design and they can be fairly nice and impactful, but you can find one in every city and they all look very similar.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2020, 2:24 PM

Quote:

Honestly, in light of the passage of Project Connect, this should be among the first towers to significantly decrease its amount of parking and perhaps even coordinate with the city to incorporate part of the subway station entrance into this building. Anything else would be a waste of a site that will soon have possibly THE best transit connections in the entire city.
I think you and JDawgboy have the same thoughts I do generally about the Republic block -- which is that it whatever goes there will/should figure prominently in Project Connect land. As much as I like the Republic (it's simplistic, true, but a nice contrast to our currently very blocky skyline), I'm def more interested to see something integrated with transit system.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2020, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
LMAO. OK. FINE. I was going on about how it's the shake 'n' bake of modern architecture and how we already have 360, which is a total carbon copy of "Spire" ATL, so why not another?!

To be fair, I deleted because I do love 360 and know some of the folks behind that project from way back.

I love love love the design of Republic, but I think we can do better. This site has the potential to be a transit center and signature super-tall for the entire skyline. It's the perfect spot.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2020, 5:31 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by myBrain View Post
Man I hope Atlanta doesn't get the Republic before we do...

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...kyscraper.html

(Yes it's also by Duda Paine)

NYC Prism Tower at Park and 28th about 15 years ago.

https://www.cosentini.com/images/pro...enue-south.jpg

Old Posted Dec 15, 2020, 11:41 PM
Everywhere all at once

I would love something, and...hear me out, guys.. ..without. BLUE. GLASS. Let's try a design WITHOUT BLUE GLASS.

Say it with me: WITHOUTwithout BLUEblue GLASSglass. WITHOUTBLUEGLASSwithoutblueglass. Very good.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2020, 11:48 PM

Hello everyone, I have been reading this forum (quietly) for 8 years. I am German and live in Hamburg. I'm a huge fan of your city of Austin. It is my favorite city. I visited 3 times. I got to know and love your city as a cheerful, young, creative, cosmopolitan and modern city. It is an island in the otherwise (from a German point of view) rest of the very conservative Texas. She made me very enthusiastic. I think Austin should keep this otherness. Why not with a different architecture. An architecture that cannot be found in any other city. Modern, trend-setting. Austin has the chance to make a statement through the architecture alone, which radiates a certain cosmopolitanism, which for me radiates the people I get to know. Austin should dare to be different. I <3 ATX

Old Posted Dec 16, 2020, 12:24 AM

Quote:
I would love something, and...hear me out, guys.. ..without. BLUE. GLASS. Let's try a design WITHOUT BLUE GLASS.

Say it with me: WITHOUTwithout BLUEblue GLASSglass. WITHOUTBLUEGLASSwithoutblueglass. Very good.
So I was thinking what would be a good color for the glass exterior, how 'bout, and be honest, blue?

Old Posted Dec 16, 2020, 1:12 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kLiTsch View Post
Hello everyone, I have been reading this forum (quietly) for 8 years. I am German and live in Hamburg. I'm a huge fan of your city of Austin. It is my favorite city. I visited 3 times. I got to know and love your city as a cheerful, young, creative, cosmopolitan and modern city. It is an island in the otherwise (from a German point of view) rest of the very conservative Texas. She made me very enthusiastic. I think Austin should keep this otherness. Why not with a different architecture. An architecture that cannot be found in any other city. Modern, trend-setting. Austin has the chance to make a statement through the architecture alone, which radiates a certain cosmopolitanism, which for me radiates the people I get to know. Austin should dare to be different. I <3 ATX

Thank you very much for your kind words and welcome to the forum in terms of posting here. I agree about making a statement. Austin is at the stage of growth and influence where I think architecture will play a more important role going forward. I'd also like to see some bold skyscraper designs. I feel that Block 185 is a good start.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2020, 1:42 AM

I used to hate blue glass because it seemed like every building being built or proposed was blue. And I used to complain about it every chance I got.

I’ve now completely warmed up to it. I’m lovin it! And the Republic is a shade of silver-blue which is nice.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin