HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Le Phare de Quebec (old) in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Dec 20, 2016, 2:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
I just hope it doesn't end up like one of those sterile planned CBD's with little street life.
That's usually the case with new construction, especially on skyscrapers. Not enough thought is given to the site plan and interaction with the ground.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2016, 1:36 PM

New version of the project:

Old Posted Dec 20, 2016, 4:33 PM
Ω

Muccchh better. This is great.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2016, 6:26 PM
Fake News

Tabernac!!!!

The glass looks very similar to Snohetta's new Calgary Central library.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 5:10 PM

Quebec City| Le Phare | 250m | 65 floors

Le Phare will combine all the elements that nourish our daily lives in a single, one-of-a-kind destination. It will include housing, offices, shops, grocery stores, restaurants, a public transportation hub, a performing arts center, and a lively, year-round public square—everything you need to live, work, and savor life—in a setting that encourages social interaction and sharing.

https://lephareqc.ca/en/

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 5:24 PM

english version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MhsImrcrhI

French version... More recent video about the project https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8rbLcP_x08&t

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 5:49 PM

I wish it actually happened, that would be pretty enormous.
Taller than any current building in Montréal or Paris... It would be quite a symbol to me.

Beware, though. They named it after a funky Parisian project designed by a Californian architect, that was eventually cancelled.

I'm still sorry about that. Not so much for the building itself, but for the architect who's definitely an innovative deserving guy.
It's just bad and annoying when people fail.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
I wish it actually happened, that would be pretty enormous.
Taller than any current building in Montréal or Paris... It would be quite a symbol to me.

Beware, though. They named it after a funky Parisian project designed by a Californian architect, that was eventually cancelled.

I'm still sorry about that. Not so much for the building itself, but for the architect who's definitely an innovative deserving guy.
It's just bad and annoying when people fail.
the project is almost approved.. the construction is suppose to begin this fall.. and it's going to be the tallest building in all Quebec

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 7:33 PM

I thought North American was done with putting huge towers in the middle of nothing sprawl, Dubai-style.

Very impressive, though, considering metro size. How does a city smaller than Fresno or Tulsa have such demand? Is there some recent local boom?

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I thought North American was done with putting huge towers in the middle of nothing sprawl, Dubai-style.
No, probably not exactly the local thing.

In fact, the high-rise complex pictured on renderings doesn't seem really remote from the older downtown.

There's apparently a wide auto-centric axis connecting it to the old town.
It makes me think very much of La Défense in Greater Paris.

Only, theirs looks like an "urban highway", while over here, the axis is made of avenue de la Grande Armée over Central Paris's territory, and avenue Charles de Gaulle in Neuilly-sur-Seine.
That's not really the same type of environment.

But then, theirs is still more recent, almost like a newborn to me.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 8:29 PM

Merged with the existing thread

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 9:47 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post

Very impressive, though, considering metro size. How does a city smaller than Fresno or Tulsa have such demand? Is there some recent local boom?
The area around the project will change, it's announced to have new streets and now the height of the building in this area is now 28 floor... here some example of what the city want for this entire district...

this one is already build it's called "Le Sommet 3V"

from face

from the back

this one was proposed this week.. yeah their is a little boom in Quebec cause the majority of the city is houses...

Quebec city will become a real north american city

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 10:46 PM
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad

I hope this one happens so badly. It's been a long while since a city went from having almost no skyscrapers to having the tallest outside Toronto. After all, Edmonton is finally having its moment in the sun as it were with Rogers Place and Stantec Tower, so it would be nice to pass the torch again with your equally nice Videotron Centre and well..... this one!

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 7:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthreun View Post
the project is almost approved.. the construction is suppose to begin this fall.. and it's going to be the tallest building in all Quebec
I don't know if any sources can verify this, but according to Wikipedia, it's under construction (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...r_construction; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Phare_de_Qu%C3%A9bec). Honestly, I like the project. I didn't expect this to happen in Quebec of all places but would've expected this type of project to happen in Montreal.

The problem in Montreal isn't the vibrancy, isn't the people, nor the French language, as that quality gives it a different vibe than most Canadian cities and North American cities in general. Montreal is arguably the most charismatic city in Canada and arguably on of the most charismatic cities in the world, but even such a charming city like Montreal has a problem and that's Mount Royal (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Royal).

Mount Royal is a mountain that's 764 ft (233 m for the Canucks) and while it's one of the city's eight wonders (Ste-Catherine St, the Metro and the downtown underground , Olympic/Maisonneuve Park, the St Lawrence River, the Plateau, the Bell Centre, and the Lachine Canal rounds out the others), it's utterly ridiculous that a major city like Montreal would have it's skyline hemmed by Mount Royal.

Yes, Mount Royal is one of the city's defining features, but even then, if Montreal is going to survive as a major city, it needs to look past Mount Royal and it needs to not only build taller skyscrapers (over 1000 ft/ 300 m) as well as build taller condos within the periphery of downtown, to reduce further encroachment of gentrification.

While I agree that Montreal should expand it's mass transit system within the city as well as expand to far flung suburbs (St-Jean-sur-Richilieu, Salaberry-de-Valleyfield, Sorel-Tracy, Saint-Zotique, Rigaud, Grenville, Granby, Drummondville, Joliette, and Berthierville all need commuter rail expansions, BTW), I also agree that if Montreal is going to either remain the largest or even the second-largest city in Canada, it needs to expand it's skyline or face the peril of being surpassed by Calgary and Edmonton in importance or even Quebec and Laval for having the tallest tower in that province.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals