HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Oct 1, 2007, 5:38 PM

I'm an apartment manager, and up until Friday afternoon I managed a nice building on lower Belmont. According to the tenants I've talked to since, the new owners just raised everyone's rent on their studios from an average of $560 up to $710--30% in one day!

Old Posted Oct 1, 2007, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregone View Post
I'm an apartment manager, and up until Friday afternoon I managed a nice building on lower Belmont. According to the tenants I've talked to since, the new owners just raised everyone's rent on their studios from an average of $560 up to $710--30% in one day!
I just put a deposit on an apartment in the Pearl and the leasing office told me that as of January 1st the rent will be increasing significantly on new leases. I have my rate locked in for 12 months.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2007, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
^That's great, and you should send a list of the places you've lived in so the rest of us can move into the thriving districts without being robbed by landlords jacking the rents up. Actually, I do find it hard to believe you don't see the price increases especially in those neighborhoods. Craiglist itself is a great example of the tight market. It used to be hundreds of listings a day, I've seen that drop by more than half, and the prices for the best districts are getting really expensive for renters...not that there aren't deals out there, but not like it used to be just three or four years ago.
Like I said, my experience is anecdotal. I’ve only lived in two apartment buildings, The Barcelona on NW 20th and the Burlington Tower. My rent at the Burlington did actually increase by a small amount last year, but the Burlington dropped my rent on the garage space and storage unit by an equivalent amount, so I’m treating that as my total rent staying the same.

It’s never going to be like the last 3-4 years again. That was an anomaly caused by negligent lending standards. Basically, anyone that could fog a mirror could get a mortgage, and that sucked the rental population dry. My lease application at the Burlington in 2005 was more rigorous than my mortgage application for my condo in 2003. This speculative madness was a once-in-a-lifetime phenomenon; you are not going to see it again...

Old Posted Oct 1, 2007, 10:11 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

I don't know who said that the Clinton Condos are going to be abandoned, but I went by today and it was full of construction workers... erm, doing stuff. Its getting closer to being done...

Old Posted Oct 2, 2007, 4:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
I’ve only lived in two apartment buildings, The Barcelona on NW 20th and the Burlington Tower...
My lease is up at the Barcelona next month (which is why I am moving) but I have to say that the rent here is on the low end compared to other similar buildings in the area. "Low" being a debatable word...

Old Posted Oct 5, 2007, 3:28 PM

Historical printing house turns luxury apartments
Portland Business Journal - by Wendy Culverwell Business Journal staff writer

A year ago, the heirs of legendary Portland printer Alan Lane made a fortuitous decision. When they redeveloped the Northwest Portland building that once housed the now defunct family business, it would contain apartments, not condominiums.

This month, as work wraps up on the $10.5 million redevelopment of the Lane-Miles Standish Printing Inc. facility, the Lane family is looking pretty darned smart.

Condo construction has slowed and two local developers even scrapped plans to sell units in major projects. Ladd Tower and The Wyatt both will operate as apartments and not as condominiums as originally planned. The reason? Slowing demand for luxury condominiums.

Indeed, the two newest undertakings at the South Waterfront are also apartments, not condominiums.

Steve Lane, Alan's grandson and scion of the family, said good old-fashioned luck played a big role in the decision to get into the apartment business.

Lane said his family didn't have any special insight into the mortgage industry crisis and how it might put the brakes on what had been a booming market for new condominiums.

Rather, he, his mother and his children simply wanted to keep the Lane-Miles Standish building in the family, not just for themselves but for future Lane generations.

His grandfather built the printing business at the corner of Northwest 19th Avenue and Quimby Street in 1929 when horses still dotted the neighborhood. The business was a success for decades, but eventually became obsolete and closed, leaving the family with a piece of real estate that just kept rising in value but generated no income.

To keep the property, the Lanes needed cash flow. For that, they chose to remake it with office and retail space and 20 units of luxury apartments.

A year ago, at the launch of construction, Lane pledged that his children and their descendants would own the old Lane-Miles Standish property for generations to come.

Today he remains committed to the idea, although one hang-up remains. He needs to secure permanent financing when construction wraps up and worries that the ongoing credit crunch may complicate matters, despite the fact that the family has significant equity in the property.

"This is a legacy," he said.

To make the project work, Lane allied with the Lake Oswego office of Birtcher Development & Investments, a company more typically associated with major construction projects and institutional developers, not small infill projects and family-led investors.

Steve Lane and Jim Edwards, senior vice president of the Birtcher office, are old friends and a deal was struck. JE Dunn Construction, a successor to the firm that constructed the original fortress-style office in 1929, signed on as general contractor.

The redevelopment team also included Opsis Architecture, DCI Engineers and Heritage Consulting Group, as well as First Independent Bank, which provided the construction loan.

Edwards called the project a success and said Birtcher is eager to work with other property owners who want to redevelop flagging properties. He said he's pleased the apartments will open in a market in which demand for luxury units is strong. He wasn't entirely surprised to see the tide turn on the apartment market during construction.

Rising rents and vacancy rates suggested an investment in for-rent housing would be a sound move.

"We did early on speculate that something like this might happen," he said.

The Lane-Miles Standish property redeveloped in two parts. The original printing business filled about 15,000 square feet of office and manufacturing space in an armory-style building complete with a turret.

Capital Property Management, which is managing the 20 apartment units, leased the turret section of the building. North, an advertising agency, leased the remaining 10,000 square feet, transforming it into an ultramodern office with a conference room that appears suspended from midair.

The six-story apartment building was constructed in place of a former warehouse. It carries the distinction of being one of the tallest insulated concrete structures ever built in the country. While it hasn't been registered with the U.S. Green Building Council, Chris Humphries, vice president for Birtcher, said the Lane 1919 Apartments are packed with green features, from a central boiler to sustainable finishes and dual flush toilets.

The growing strength of the apartment market also had the happy effect of increasing the amount of rent the owners can ask for the apartments, three of which have been leased. Rents will range from about $1,100 a month for smaller units on the lower floors to about $3,000 a month for larger top-floor ones, Humphries said.

Steve Lane, who professes little experience with for-rent housing, couldn't be more pleased that he chose to create something the family can hold onto for years.

"Being part of the community is important. Having continuity in this area is important," he said.

"We're not just in it to make money. There's pride of ownership."

wculverwell@bizjournals.com | 503-219-3415
http://portland.bizjournals.com/port...ml?t=printable

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 2:50 PM

Planners show new look for Interstate
More transit-oriented development is key goal for rezoning
By Lee van der Voo
The Portland Tribune, Oct 23, 2007

A new zoning plan for North Interstate Avenue will make its public debut Nov. 3, paving the way for taller buildings, more people, more businesses and fewer cars.

The plan aims to boost transit-oriented development along the Interstate MAX line, anticipating future population growth.

The Portland Development Commission and Portland Planning Bureau teamed up with a citizens advisory group to create the proposal, which will change the zoning along Interstate Avenue between North Greeley Avenue and Columbia Boulevard in 2008.

The work of the citizens group kicked off with a public meeting last spring. The results of its eight-month process will debut at an open house from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Nov. 3 in the cafeteria at Ockley Green School, 6031 N. Montana Ave.

What people can expect to see there is a plan that increases the allowed building heights along most of Interstate Avenue to up to 75 feet, or about six stories.

The proposal also encourages mostly retail businesses topped by housing, aimed to revive Interstate Avenue’s sluggish economy while adding housing and fixing outdated zoning rules.

“We’re really trying to come up with the best way to make transit-oriented development happen without decreasing livability for neighborhoods, so we need the public’s help to figure that out,” said Kevin Cronin, the PDC’s senior project coordinator for Interstate Avenue rezoning.

Feedback from some residents already has changed the direction of the plan, lowering proposed building heights from 100 feet, or nine stories, to the 75 feet now suggested.

Maximum heights also are being suggested along some parts of east-west streets that cross Interstate, such as Rosa Parks Way and Lombard, Ainsworth and Killingsworth streets.

Rough lines have been drawn showing where those suggested heights should drop off into neighborhoods. Cronin said officials want specific feedback to fine-tune those borders and factors affecting building design.

Contact Kevin Cronin, at cronink@pdc.us or 503-823-3305, or Julia Gisler, at jgisler@ci.portland.or.us or 503-823-7264, with questions or comments about the plan.

http://www.portlandtribune.com/news/...09154959272000

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 9:03 PM

I am SO hopeful that the new zoning changes come through. We have two properties on N. Interstate which we would like to redevelop in the future.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2007, 5:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregone View Post
ah belmont court, this place musta been sold mere hours after you got my deposit. I was gonna just eat the extra costs and take it but the renovations they've been doing are a joke. First I was told it'd be ready in two weeks, than one month, than six weeks. At that point I said "screw it" and started looking elsewhere. Apparently it's hell on those who are staying in the building. Shutting off water during the day for a week? Entering whenever they want? They should have just evicted everyone and been done with it.

Fortunately I found another place near Burnside + 28th. Similar price but it's a one bedroom. They want a six month lease minimum, but I'm paranoid you know who (or a comparable compay) may buy this building as well and jack up the rent to 900$/month or some crap. They (the new belmont owners) actually tried to sell me on a studio in that same area for 745$.

I feel as if I've been priced out of this city before I even got to move in.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2007, 6:17 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Wow, I live on Burnside and 28th and rent an entire HOUSE for $800 amonth!

4 bedrooms, no less!

Old Posted Oct 26, 2007, 3:27 PM

Wood takes work
Ipe is durable, but building with it means embracing maintenance
POSTED: 06:00 AM PDT Friday, October 26, 2007
BY ALISON RYAN
Daily Journal of Commerce

The façade of the Thurman Street Lofts wasn’t the first place Holst Architecture used ipe, a Brazilian hardwood, as an exterior element.

But, architect John Holmes said, it’s a place where the design team was taking a leap with the material.

“It was definitely, ‘We don’t know what’s going to happen here,’” he said. “You experiment, and it works out.”

Renderings show what the lofts will be: silvered ipe for the long stretches of façade, with geometric deck elements dark in contrast. But the journey from dark to light will mean periods of patchiness for the Northwest Portland building.

“It’s an organic thing,” Holmes said. “It’s going to not be uniformly aging.”

Ipe’s a prized material for many reasons. It’s durable. It’s long-lasting, with a typical life span of 75 to 100 years. In short, it earns its “ironwood” nickname.

But the initial dark patina – which appeals on an aesthetic level – takes work to maintain. At Belmont Lofts, Holst’s initial foray into ipe façades, the wood is maintained through periodic oiling. Without oiling, the rich color fades. And if it’s used on a façade, it generally ages unevenly.

“Seeing this warm wood turn gray has a potential of reading to the public as if the building isn’t holding up,” said Jim Kalvelage, a principal at Opsis Architecture.

Expectations play a big part. Although ipe used on a horizontal surface – like the Pearl District boardwalk that’s aged to a delicate gray – is exposed uniformly, a façade is exposed to sun and rain in a different way.

“The transition’s not going to be as even,” Holmes said. “But after a while, that will all even out.”

In the meantime, Kalvelage said, “if someone embraces that aesthetic, you’re fine.”

For Lee Turlington, who rents one of the 16 homes in the Thurman Street Lofts, the building’s shifting patina appeals.

“When you build something like this out of a natural material,” he said, “to expect it to age uniformly and perfectly kind of goes against the grain.”

Expectations of sustainability and supply are harder to meet. Ipe is the best-known – and most popular – durable hardwood, and that’s made it tougher to find and more expensive, about $6 per square foot.

“The demand for ipe is such that it’s basically sold out every year as soon as the harvest season’s over,” said Ed Mays, who owns Endura Wood Products.

Cumaru, tigerwood and machiche are other varieties of long-lasting hardwood. But architects know ipe. And, designers say, they know ipe that’s certified sustainable by the Forest Stewardship Council is especially hard to get.

“We’ve been trying and trying to find sources of ipe that are FSC-certified,” Holmes said. “I just think the demand for the product, for whatever reason, means it’s very hard to come by sustainably harvested wood.”

Holst, Holmes said, is actually moving away from using ipe in its projects. The firm is looking at other alternatives like bamboo, a rapid-growing grass. Kalvelage, too, says he’s not sure the material’s always the best to use.

“You just have to be very careful,” he said, “about how you use the wood.”
http://www.djcoregon.com/articleDeta...ng-maintenance

Old Posted Oct 26, 2007, 3:34 PM

It's been bumpy ride, but condos are a go
Thursday, October 25, 2007
By J. David Santen Jr.
The Oregonian

The first real estate agent quit. The high-profile consultant is gone. And the half-block at Southeast 28th between Burnside and Ankeny where the Hungry Tiger once stood looks just as abandoned as it did after the buildings were torn down in early summer.

To believe the spot will be home to four stories of condos and mixed-use retail a year from now -- in a condo market falling faster than autumn leaves -- is some leap of faith.

Nonetheless, plans for the $14 million 32-unit SunRose Condominiums are a go, says property co-owner Ann Cohen, with new financing and a new broker -- and no Randy Rapaport, best known for developing the Belmont Street Lofts.

"We didn't see eye to eye on some things," Cohen says.

Rapaport had been tasked with assembling the project team and, according to him, is 75 percent responsible for the plans now in place.

"They got the building to a point that they didn't need me anymore," he says. "I was on that team; I made every decision. I'm really happy with the result. My guess is that it's going to be a provocative building and a forward-thinking building."

But with his own mixed-use project, the Clinton Condominiums, months behind schedule and not quite half of the 27 units sold, Rapaport says he's fine with moving on. He questions whether the SunRose project would be better off going to market-rate apartments, calling the financial risks of new condo projects "quite significant."

Kathy MacNaughton of The MacNaughton Group at Realty Trust will represent the SunRose condos. She acknowledges that, with nearly 1,000 unsold condo units clogging the Portland market (and home sales lagging, too), "buyers have a lot to choose from, and they don't have a gun to their head" in terms of rising prices or fast sales.

SunRose does have at least one thing going for it: a prime location, with restaurants, a Wild Oats market, the Laurelhurst Theater and other amenities literally across the street. "We jokingly call this location, 'The center of the universe,' " MacNaughton says.

"This is one of, if not the, best spots on the east side for development," says Kevin Valk, project manager with Holst Architecture, which designed SunRose. The low-density urban location allows for a more intriguing design less likely to draw the kind of neighborhood resentment that's snagged other projects around town.

The one- and two-bedroom condos are turned 90 degrees from the typical "shotgun" orientation, Valk says, creating wider layouts. Most have off-street parking and small balconies that jut from the building like barnacles. "It's a more urban-feeling building, and it fits in with that neighborhood."

Construction is to begin before Thanksgiving and should take about 14 months.

SunRose is a family affair. Ann Cohen and her four siblings own the parcel, as their family, the Wongs, has since 1964. Relatives have committed to buying five units.

Although the Hungry Tiger, owned by Ann and her husband, Alan, won't reclaim its spot at 28th and Burnside, another restaurant run by the family will: 2800.

The Hungry Tiger was preceded by the Sun and Rosie Restaurant, run by and named for Ann's parents. Thus the SunRose name.

"The whole building is a legacy to my mom and dad," Ann Cohen says. "I'm a happy camper right now."

Portland News: 503-221-8199; portland@news.oregonian.com
http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/o...290.xml&coll=7

Old Posted Oct 26, 2007, 3:40 PM

High expectations greet loft project
Portland Business Journal - by Wendy Culverwell Business Journal staff writer
Cathy Cheney | Portland Business Journal
PDC officials are closely watching the success of the Graham Street Lofts project.
View Larger

Architect Hilary Mackenzie isn't losing any sleep over the slowing housing market.

That's impressive for an untested developer with a $4.3 million condominium project in construction on an untested stretch of Northeast Portland.

Mackenzie broke ground earlier this year on Graham Street Lofts, a 12-unit complex being constructed on a former parking lot that fronts Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard at Northeast Graham Street. Mackenzie bought the property in 1991 and has operated her practice there ever since.

The Graham Street effort is a bold project that has the attention of the development community, said Sara King, manager of the Portland Development Commission's Convention Center urban renewal district. The district runs along MLK in front of the project.

King said Mackenzie is providing a useful demonstration of the market potential for development on the boulevard, which is in an area devoid of new developments -- especially for high-density residential projects.

Portland Development Commission officials are interested in developing a live-work project on property it owns in the neighborhood.

The four-story building contains traditional one-floor units and four two-story penthouses. But at ground level, Mackenzie is connecting her building with busy MLK by creating units with space for offices or small shops in the front and living quarters in the back.

Mackenzie believes the time is right to bring something new to Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard, where she has had her practice for more than a decade.

"It seemed like the right time and stuff is starting to change on the avenue," Mackenzie said.

The loft project is two blocks north of the Nike Factory Store along a stretch of MLK. The stately American State Bank building is one block to the south. Once one of the largest minority-owned banks in the region, it closed several years ago. The building itself is under contract to a buyer who plans to remake it into a retail center, said a Melvin Mark broker involved in the transaction.

Joanne Stone, a broker with Wright Commercial Real Estate services, is representing Graham Street Lofts and several other properties, including vacant lots, along MLK.

The southernmost 10 blocks of Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard are gaining more attention, she said. Newcomers are installing pizza restaurants, a hot dog eatery and, in the coming weeks, a new wine bar.

Mackenzie said she understands her project is viewed as a test case for Martin Luther King. While others wait to see how it does before committing to their projects, she's already designing her next undertaking, Ruby's Tower.

Ruby's Tower will contain 14 small condominiums and will be built on the lot adjacent the Graham Street Lofts.

If all goes according to plan, Ruby's Tower will represent a major local debut for Apex Construction Systems Inc., a local startup attempting to commercialize construction blocks made from cement dust, recycled polystyrene and binders.

"We'll start as soon as Graham is sold," she said.

wculverwell@bizjournals.com | 503-219-3415
http://portland.bizjournals.com/port...ml?t=printable

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 3:25 PM

Williams catching fire, but with a slower burn
Thursday, November 01, 2007
Erin Hoover Barnett
The Oregonian

North Williams Avenue may be the next urban frontier for redevelopment in North/Northeast, but it won't be like the wildfire change that swept Mississippi Avenue eight blocks west. While rehabbed storefronts are springing open with new shops, the saturated condo market is slowing or changing big developers' plans.

Seattle-based Ivy Street Partners bought the old Hostess distribution facility out of bankruptcy last year on the southwest corner of Williams and Fremont.

The project started as a mix of 300-plus condos and apartments, but now they're moving forward with just apartments and ground-floor shops, says Ivy Street's Brendan Lawrence. They're having lead- and asbestos-based paint removed before tearing the building down and must figure out the most cost-effective plan for parking.

But Lawrence says they remain positive about the corridor's potential given its location between Mississippi and an evolving Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard on one side of the river and on the other, just over the Fremont Bridge, the Pearl and Downtown.

"There surely is some inherent risk with being the big boys in the neighborhood at the moment -- some inherent risk and some inherent reward," he says.

Developer Ben Kaiser, meanwhile, has put plans for two condo/loft projects on the northwest and southeast corners of Williams and Fremont on hold for at least a year.

"I'm keeping the land and keeping optimism up for the near future of putting it back on the market and getting momentum going again," Kaiser says.

He's still moving ahead with a five-unit housing and commercial building at Williams and Sumner called Williams Five. Its contemporary design will include cutting-edge conservation features.

Eliot Neighborhood Association leaders like both Kaiser's and Ivy Street's plans. They think higher density along Vancouver and Williams will create thriving boulevards of housing and shops.

"I think we're a little more pro-growth than some neighborhoods," says Mike Warwick, the association's land-use chairman.

The rest of Williams isn't waiting for the big boys.

A cluster of reborn buildings at Failing Street feature Pix Patisserie, Lark Press and the School and Community Reuse Action Project, or SCRAP. Across the avenue and south of Failing, a concrete tilt-up building houses Yoga Shala and a restaurant called Nutshell.

"It's a developing area and this space is raw," says Nutshell owner Sean Coryell, grooving on the vacant lot/boarded-up-homes atmosphere evident in pockets on Williams.

Nutshell features gourmet vegan food, and its walls eventually will be covered with graffiti-style art by such subculture greats as Europe's Galo and the London Police. The Oakland, Calif.-based artist called Bigfoot has already covered the cafe's longest wall with floor-to-ceiling Bigfoot images.

When Nutshell moved in, Coryell noticed motorcycle tracks on the walls and surmised that some wild riding went on in the former motorcycle repair shop.

"I dig it, so I kept it up," says Coryell. "It's part of the art now."

The change is exciting and unnerving to older businesses on the street.

Lula Parker opened the Tropicana Bar Be Cue on Williams three blocks south of Fremont in 1957 when it was the heart of the African American business district. She is glad to see Williams inching back but isn't sure how the avenue can thrive now that it's a major thoroughfare.

"Everything is going so fast and so they hardly have time to see the place before they're gone," she says. Still, she figures that more development will give people a reason to slow down and take a look.

North of Pix Patisserie, Jay Laviolette hopes the overhaul will serve his Jay's Mower & Chainsaw. His repair shop "keeps the lawns looking nice!" he says. "If I could get into an ownership deal, that'd be a good thing. I don't think it's going anywhere but up."

Erin Hoover Barnett: 503-294-5011; ehbarnett@news.oregonian.com
http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/o...910.xml&coll=7

Old Posted Nov 3, 2007, 1:00 AM

have they started construction on the new riverscape parcles yet?
These :

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi123 View Post
have they started construction on the new riverscape parcles yet?
I drove by these yesterday and they are still working on the eight story mid-rise only.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 2:54 PM

PDC plans Interstate rezoning to bring high-density to N. Portland

Neighborhood residents fear an increase in traffic and building heights along the light-rail line

POSTED: 06:00 AM PST Tuesday, November 6, 2007
BY TYLER GRAF

In North Portland, light rail has glided along for three years, fulfilling a promise by the city to expand high-density public transportation northward. Unfulfilled, however, has been the promise of high-density residential and commercial growth along Interstate Avenue.

On Saturday, the Portland Development Commission released its latest plans for rezoning along Interstate and increasing density through mixed-use developments. The heaviest rezoning will occur within close proximity to Interstate, using what the PDC calls “up zoning” – increasing commercial and residential density.

But some of the zoning changes make a handful of residents apprehensive. One such proposed zoning change, allowing greater flexibility in residential property use, isn’t universally accepted.

Killingsworth resident Severn Durand says he fears an increase in residents running businesses out of their houses – home-based hairstylists, caterers and day-care operators, for example.

“It would only bring more traffic from people who don’t already live in the neighborhood,” Durand said. “I think they should keep (businesses) on the main strip.”

But according to the Portland Planning Bureau and the PDC, non-conforming use – business in an area zoned residential – is already prevalent in North Portland. The changes proposed by the PDC would allow greater flexibility and growth among this sector, the PDC says.

“It’s tricky (through this process) to respect the quality of the neighborhood,” Deborah Stein of the PDC said, adding the trickiest aspect of rezoning neighborhoods is creating a transitional buffer between high-density areas and the adjacent neighborhoods. “We looked at different variations, and other zones have other implications.”

Stein’s views were shared by residents of the Overlook neighborhood who conferenced Saturday to discuss issues pertaining to rezoning near Massachusetts Avenue. They said they worried that the increased height requirement for mixed-use properties would negatively affect sunlight absorption and that rezoned residential blocks would create a market for condominium development.

But Kevin Cronin of the PDC said enacting high-density zones around Interstate Avenue, the thoroughfare for North Portland’s light rail, is an important step in facilitating a smooth transition among commerce, living and transit. The mixed-use zones would, he said, spur livability

“You’ll be able to get off the train and get a sub, get a bite, get a pint if you want to,” Cronin said.

The PDC intends for new developments in the area to work in conjunction with affordable, mixed-use development projects. Developer Jim Winkler is expected to go before the PDC on Nov. 14 to discuss his plans for Killingsworth Station, a mixed-use project that would incorporate 9,000 square feet of bottom-floor retail space with 50 affordable housing units for families with incomes that are 80 percent to 100 percent of the median family income for Portland.

Winkler is going ahead with the development, long stalled, with a revised budget due to an increase in construction costs and an increase in the prevailing wage for construction workers, Kate Deane of the PDC says.

The Crown Motel, two blocks south of Killingsworth Station, is a mixed-use affordable housing project encompassing a 24,000-square-foot site TriMet acquired using federal funds allocated for light-rail expansion. Developed by Reach Community Development, the project will be a mixed-use, affordable rental property.

The PDC emphasized that its proposed zoning changes aren’t yet set in stone.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2007, 3:00 PM

More renderings of the Yards at Union Station

Old Posted Nov 20, 2007, 5:00 PM

I'm not sure if we have talked about this at NW 19th and Johnson

Old Posted Nov 20, 2007, 7:45 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

^ thats the one to be built near the park, right? we have renderings of it. but I thought it was only going to be 5 stories.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland