HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Look at that disgusting suburban new York Olive Garden Culture
You used a picture of Times Square. Times Square is a non-New Yorker's idea of what New York City is.

Also, I think we can all agree that Olive Garden is horrible

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzyabe View Post
You used a picture of Times Square. Times Square is a non-New Yorker's idea of what New York City is.

Also, I think we can all agree that Olive Garden is horrible
I really hope you didn't miss my point that hard.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Don't you go making points that Tucsonans don't understand...

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
Don't you go making points that Tucsonans don't understand...

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 8:36 PM

I like Olive Garden, love other authentic Italian restaurants more.

Secondly, how are there this many Phoenicians commenting on this Tucson thread...? Are there any Tucsonans that comment on the Phx metro threads? Just curious cuz I don't look at those.

But due to hurt feelings its apparent that you're missing the point and you give the perception that you're trolling this thread looking for an argument. Phx is saturated with power centers from Queen Creek to Buckeye to the point where a youth baseball club didn't know the difference between each suburb. Its the same sh**. Surprise and Gilbert...same sh**. Nightlife? People go to Scottsdale and Tempe...downtown Phx is a distant 3rd. Phx is making strides...but it is what it is.

I respect the comments...however, cities like Denver and Seattle disprove your point about the West. Even add cities such as Portland, Austin, Sacramento...metro areas in between the sizes of Tucson and Phx. Scale to scale, Phx isn't close to its peers. Tucson is.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 8:42 PM

Quote:
What was your point? That New York City has an Olive Garden?
Or that Olive Gardens are in every city?

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southtucsonboy77 View Post
I like Olive Garden, love other authentic Italian restaurants more.

I respect the comments...however, cities like Denver and Seattle disprove your point about the West. Even add cities such as Portland, Austin, Sacramento...metro areas in between the sizes of Tucson and Phx. Scale to scale, Phx isn't close to its peers. Tucson is.
I look at the ABQ threads too!
But for your last paragraph you are incorrect. If you compare Gilbert or queen creek to the center of Denver I guess you have a point. But that isn't an apt comparison

Central Phoenix neighborhoods: Downtown, Midtown, North Central, Biltmore, Camelback East, Arcadia, Scottsdale, Downtown Tempe, etc etc compete in every way with the centers of other large cities in the west and even on a national scale.

Its pretty stupid to have someone move out to surprise and complain that it isn't like downtown Austin, is it not?

Suburban Gilbert, Subrban Marana , Suburban Riverside, Suburban Auraura, Suburban Vancouver wa, are all cookie cutter suburbs. Not surprising that they all have a Panda Express and Home Depot.

This isn't shocking.

And I would agree that Tucson does match its peers like ABQ, Tulsa and Fresno.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 8:47 PM

Quote:
But for your last paragraph you are incorrect. If you compare Gilbert or queen creek to the center of Denver I guess you have a point. But that isn't an apt comparison

Central Phoenix neighborhoods: Downtown, Midtown, North Central, Biltmore, Camelback East, Arcadia, Scottsdale, Downtown Tempe, etc etc compete in every way with the centers of other large cities in the west and even on a national scale.

Its pretty stupid to have someone move out to surprise and complain that it isn't like downtown Austin, is it not?

Suburban Gilbert, Subrban Marana , Suburban Riverside, Suburban Auraura, Suburban Vancouver wa, are all cookie cutter suburbs. Not surprising that they all have a Panda Express and Home Depot.

This isn't shocking.

And I would agree that Tucson does match its peers like ABQ, Tulsa and Fresno.
Fresno > Tucson

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzyabe View Post
What was your point? That New York City has an Olive Garden?
Or that Olive Gardens are in every city?
That you claim people in Phoenix live close to chain restaurants as if that is demonstrative of some sort of low culture or undeveloped city.

Yet Central midtown has an olive Garden yet Downtown Phoenix does not.

Its a strawman, all cities have chains, and the suburbs of all cities are....like suburbs.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 9:50 PM

Downtown Gilbert now has more foot traffic on any given weeknight than Congress does in a year, believe me.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 9:51 PM

What metrics are we using to compare downtown Phoenix neighborhoods to Portland, Denver, Seattle, and Austin neighborhoods? The fact that they have (some) level of density and accessibility to goods and services? Going back to the original catalyst of this conversation, I don't think that's enough to make Phoenix a cultural destination.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 10:12 PM

The insecurity from the Phoenix dorks is staggering. Why do you care what other people think of Phoenix? If you like it, congrats! You probably have terrible taste and have never left. But that's fine! You can have pride in your city AND accept that the best thing to ever come out of Phoenix is the freeway.

I think the 122 degree days are getting to your heads.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Downtown Gilbert now has more foot traffic on any given weeknight than Congress does in a year, believe me.
LOL. Donald Trump is here, guys!

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lyons View Post
What metrics are we using to compare downtown Phoenix neighborhoods to Portland, Denver, Seattle, and Austin neighborhoods? The fact that they have (some) level of density and accessibility to goods and services? Going back to the original catalyst of this conversation, I don't think that's enough to make Phoenix a cultural destination.
The point of my comment form earlier was addressing exactly what the metrics are as well because I think its a bunch of nonsense.

Since then its just been banter because the Tlocals are being mean

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 10:31 PM

All teasing aside, I actually prefer downtown PHX to any part of Gilbert, Mesa, Tempe, or Scottsdale. It might not be as "nice" as the other parts of the valley but it is more authentic.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 10:34 PM

This has actually been fun, we should do this more often. Next time we'll host!

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 6:58 AM

Quote:
Downtown Gilbert must be the most popping place in all of Phx

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 4:00 PM

Quote:
The Albuquerque thread is the only other thread I look at and comment on. Used to live there. In the late 90s/early 2000s, downtown Albq was a whole lot more advanced than downtown Tucson. No shame in saying that. 2017, my opinion is that downtown Tucson has surpassed Albq. Downtown Albq kinda stalled there for a bit, but is now doing some great things. Just an opinion.

As for the other comment, the point is: Phx metro is massively expansive...is continuing to be massive and sprawled...that ultimately its developed that reputation...here in Tucson and throughout the U.S. Its not that metro Tucson has a Marana or Arizona Pavilions power center...the problem with Phx is that it has 20 Maranas and 50 Arizona Pavilions. That's all you see from Buckeye to Queen Creek. That's the point we are making. And, on the subject, I feel that metro Tucson is behind in power centers and the market is playing catch-up.

Additionally, downtown Phx and Phx itself hasn't reached that comparable urban and cultural mark that its peers have reached...peers meaning 20 largest metro areas. Tucson is in the 50 largest range...that's the benchmark I look at as a citizen and as a planner. Just an opinion...and the AZ Central article I attached shared the same idea.

Many Tucsonans, born and raised, love metro Phx. Move there for the jobs, entertainment, the aesthetically pleasing roadway and neighborhood landscaping, the freeways...for whatever reason. There's probably a thread/blog just for former Tucsonans-who re-located to Phx-who hate Tucson. Despite some of Tucson's ills...and we argue amongst ourselves sometimes on this thread of what they are and the degree...Tucson has some awesome things going for itself and on the uptick. We're now landing on Top-whatever lists for positive attributes...although we'll still find ourselves on some bad ones. But for the most part, we know who we are...that's why we get excited for 7-story residential bldgs, some...not all (Lol). It seems like some Phoenicians are in denial of what the Valley really is. Developers and planners know...that's why they are working tirelessly to get Phx where it needs to be, but its not there yet.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 4:22 PM

Back to 44 E. Broadway, that building by far is one of the ugliest structures in downtown Tucson. The adjacent surface parking lot magnifies its existence since there's nothing to hide that western wall. If a structure can be developed to hide 44's somewhat stand-alone presence and morph into a continuous multi-story structure façade and streetscape (with the corner Westerner/West Point re-development), it will enhance that block from Stone to Scott.

Thanks for sharing that rendering.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southtucsonboy77 View Post

is that it has 20 Maranas and 50 Arizona Pavilions
See this is the gist, and FYI, im not debating you or anything, but criticisms of Phoenixs suburbanism (something many cities get accosted for like LA, Dallas, Atlanta etc.) Is not specially unique for any mid-large metro anywhere in north America. NYC metro has the equivalent of 50 Maranas, LA has the equivalent of 50 Marana's so does Chicago, the Bay area, Seattle, Houston, Miami etc. etc.

They are all surrounded by miles of bland cookie cutter sprawl. But people don't Decry Manhattan because of its Long Island suburbs, People don't say Chicago sucks because it has outlet malls 45 miles from downtown.

That's why I say its a straw man to bitch about "oh its so suburban" so is every city in America besides a handful of city centers and in most cases that's only a few blocks at most.

If Tucson was the center of a 5 million person metro instead of a 1 million person metro it would have just as many "power centers" as you call them.

Central Phoenix (not just downtown but the Central neighborhoods Between Downtown and Sunny slope) are just as dense as the average central neighborhoods of ANY city besides the largest ones like NYC or Chicago.

anyway Im done defending the home team back to Tucson development news you guys have had a lot of good growth downtown as well which Is why im here in the first place!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest