HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 4:04 PM
World Machine

The Nestin (IMO) is the building that makes your city, and gives it identity. Just like the TransAm Pyramid to SanFran, or the Citicorp Center to NYC, the Nestin is a building that you look at once, and know where you are. I'm looking foward to seeing some lowrises.

Excellent work!

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 6:28 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Thanks, it's a very noticeable building yes. Although it isn't in the waterfront, you can still see it and feel it's presence. I didn't think it was gonna be liked as much as it is though. At least not when I first modeled it. I like it too.

Yeah, the low-rises are just gonna be medical buildings and then I'll make more tall buildings again. I actually started to work on the government area of the city but I'll finish the hospital instead.

Question, should I make the general shape of all the buildings in my city and then detail them as I present them or should I model each building/block/region as I present?

Old Posted Apr 22, 2008, 4:41 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Here's one of the buildings in the hospital. It's not enough to make people want to view more but it's part of it. Very hospitaly design, nothing great, no grand elaborate design. I also added much needed details to the windows because it makes the city more realistic and it jut looks better:

9 buildings finished (without bases/podiums and all that), 3 plain white buildings, 1 in the painted just needs more details, and an estimate of 13 more buildings which I haven't started.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2008, 4:49 AM

Well, your wrong it definitely does leave me wanting more! it looks awesome. your right however it does look very "hospitally"

Very nice

Old Posted Apr 22, 2008, 4:59 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Yeah, not gonna finish it for a while and I won't update too often So I think I'll just show pictures of some existing buildings. All this homework is killing me. A balsa wood tower for MESA, a 250 word hand written and drawn board for Worlh History Honors, a 500 word essay in that same class (it's hard cause all my essays are at least 1,100 words and I can't write short essays), math homework every day with like 20 to 30 problems. Oh, and Spanish homework, another essay for some Latin-American food, I have to cook the food and take it, I need to write how to cook it and ingredients, and then I hate to translate a whole page of words.

It's that I don't understand the translations (I speak Spanish) but I don't like writing too much and we can't type things in that class which makes it take more time.

Some things are hard, some things are easy, but I get a lot. AP is gonna be hell next year.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2008, 3:51 AM
Registered Lurker

back to work, slacker!

I like what I see of the hospital so far. Simple, but very effective.

You have a lot of buildings to do.

How do you like making stuff with balsa wood? I had to make trusses in a tecnology class years ago. Yours sounds harder, a tower.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2008, 12:39 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

I don't like it. We have to, But it's an easy class. We're making a trebuche right now.

Anyways, thanks. I already know what I'm gonna do. Instead of making all at once I'm gonna make an expansion later on. But not for a while and I'm not ready to update. I'm working on a house. Hopefully I'll be able to show it in the next month. If I don't get bored of it.

I wanna give you guys a hint of the work I'm doing but I can't without giving too much away. It's a super detailed house. Really. I've been working on the kitchen for about 2 weeks. I still have to finish the hood (vent over stove), light switches, lights, all that jazz.

I'm trying to do as much as I can. Chairs, sinks, tables, cabinets, windows, etc.. I won't do all though but yeah, you get the idea. I just finished the table and chairs. Next I'm doing the living room set, tables, sofa's, lamps, all that jazz. And I only have 1 window in the kitchen but they take like 5-10 minutes to make depending on size and shape.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2008, 4:58 AM

nice and clean cut, i'd love to see some red crosses,.got any new shots?

Old Posted Apr 27, 2008, 8:07 AM
Desert Dweller

The new building is nice, looks very 50's Hospitalish.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2008, 3:11 PM
World Machine

Wow, I'm taken back on how nice that is. A lot of my thoughts on it have already been said, but again, a very nice approach which really payed off. It's very (as vertical said) clean cut and presents itself in an organized manor.

Nice job!

Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 5:44 PM

hey i just noticed! Aleks are you rendering your city? Kudos!

Old Posted May 3, 2008, 2:17 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Exclamation Domner&Domner Motors Building

Thanks for the comments you guys. Anyways, finally, an update. Not the update I wanted to show you guys but oh well. At least it's something. Again with the reading.

Anyways, here's the Domner&Domner Building. With an estimated of 11.2 Billion US dollars, the Domner's os one of the richest families in the country. The family owned several large companies including the Domner&Domner Motors. Domner&Domner was founded in 1995 by the two oldest brothers of Mr. and Mrs. Domner. The Domner&Domner company is currently the third largest motors company in the country right behind Toyota of Japan and General Motors of America. It specializes in motor manufacturing and it is currently working with Toyota to provide greener vehicles for the common person. It's biggest partner, Toyota Motors has been rumored to separate and the status of Domner&Domner Motors is currently unknown.

Although the company is doing well, the oil crisis is hitting it hard with a drop of 19% in motor sales. Sales have also been steadily dropping thanks to companies like BMW, Lexus, and Mercedes which are being imported more frequently thanks to higher wages year after year.

About the building. The skyscraper is currently home to the only motor company in the country. It reaches a height of 624 feet, was finished in 2007 and has 42 office floors. There are 3 more floors throughout the building; the two podium floors have a large lobby with 50,000 sq. ft. of retail. The last floor is mechanical but has a private lounge for employees with a glass atrium. The building was designed by AMAA, a local architectural company which has designed some famous buildings including the new Pacific Gallery Museum, the Port Pacific Trade Tower (current tallest, PPTT), and the Royal Carlos Hotel.

There's an open plaza at the base. The main architect, Mr. Roboto, said at an interview that the building was inspired by a large log floating in the beautiful clear ocean waves. Environmentally friendly features were added to the tower like a large tank which holds 70% of the buildings water and the facade is curved to allow large amounts of light to enter the structure which lowers 55% of electricity used in same-sized structures.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for viewing. Hope you guys don't mind that I made a big deal about the hospital and didn't end up showing it. I also got bored of this building that's why I didn't add doors and columns to the base like I originally planned to.

Old Posted May 3, 2008, 2:30 AM

WOW! that is one awesome building Nice

how did you achieve that effect in the first and third pics?. where the top looks bigger?

Old Posted May 3, 2008, 3:35 AM
Registered Lurker

I noticed that effect too, it's really cool.

Something about this building I just love!! The design is very original. I don't think I've ever seen a similar building, so that's a very good thing!

Did you add some sort of lighting to the third pic looking up? It looks like there is a glow in the corner of going up in a few spots.

Your rendering is really nice. It's very shiny and clean, especially in the last pic.

If I had to pick one thing to change in the building it would be a different color instead of the dark red.

Old Posted May 3, 2008, 4:04 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Quote:
Originally Posted by treras93 View Post
how did you achieve that effect in the first and third pics?. where the top looks bigger?
It doesn't get bigger. It just looks cooler. I'd tell but it's a secret. JayKay, I used Two-Point Perspective. You just zoom into a building until you can see about half way up. Then choose 2-Point Perspective. Zoom out and you'll get that effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
I noticed that effect too, it's really cool.

Something about this building I just love!! The design is very original. I don't think I've ever seen a similar building, so that's a very good thing!

Did you add some sort of lighting to the third pic looking up? It looks like there is a glow in the corner of going up in a few spots.

Your rendering is really nice. It's very shiny and clean, especially in the last pic.

If I had to pick one thing to change in the building it would be a different color instead of the dark red.
Thanks, I actually based this building off a real one. Won't tell too much about where it is but I will say it's in Germany. I didn't add any lighting. Kerk does that from time-to-time but in turned out better than usual in this render.

And yeah, the render is kind of clean because I set Kerk so that it takes sharper renders. Look at the shadows. They're not sharp, flat edges, but instead they fade out like real shadows. You can set it so that it does that too.

Thanks again. It's not the last time you'll hear from Domner&Domner.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Two-Point Perspective is how architects make their buildings look better than others. Like a big, macho building taking over the neighborhood even though it's not even half the size of the building next door.

Last edited by Aleks; May 3, 2008 at 5:19 AM.

Old Posted May 3, 2008, 4:41 AM

neat! I really like the style

Old Posted May 3, 2008, 5:35 AM
Registered Lurker

There's an option for two-point perspective in SU, but when I click it everything disappears until I move my view again. I thought two point perspective was just a view looking towards the vertice of a right angle making two adjacent sides of the corner in view. The first image has some sort of curvey affect at the top, and it's really tall like you said. How did you do that awesome technique?

Old Posted May 3, 2008, 2:27 PM
World Machine

Wow, that is a very sleek and attractive building. I read every word of the history and thought is was very good. The story was very realistic, and I like how it reflects current issues in the global economic spectrum.

I also like how versatile the building is in providing services for company, the public, and the enviroment.

The curved facade was also a nice touch, and I admire the 'mirror effect' it had on the surrounding buildings such as the Nestin Hotel. Very well done, it's one of the best you've made (IMO).

Old Posted May 3, 2008, 7:21 PM

I like the building very much, specially how it integrates the curved facade with the side entrance and public plaza, and congratulations on that last render . The story is certainly interesting and it reflects in the tower.

Old Posted May 5, 2008, 1:10 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Thanks. Idk how I did that first shot then. I just clicked on 2-point perspective and zoomed out and it looked like that.

Anyways, I need help. Which ones better?

The first 2 would have that indent and the last one a complete hole.

Or should I keep trying?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup